Adult Swim's new (for me) American lineup...

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Adult Swim's new (for me) American lineup...

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:54 am

When I visited home for Christmas last year, Adult Swim started 3 new shows (that I remember) Venture Brothers, Stoker and Hoop, and Tom meets the Mayor...

Apparently since I've been away from TV, they added some more shows too...

I remember my experience watching Brak the first time... I loved it. It was so random and it was the only thing of its kind on TV... I also loved Birdman (at least the first season) because I just loved seeing all the self referencial stuff within Hannah Barberra... I thought Sealab and aqua teens were hit or miss, but, hey, we got anime too!

Well, when i visited at Christmas, I noticed how Williams street (who does their cartoons and the bumps) would constantly make fun of anime and were apparently very resentfull of the anime (I'm guessing that's why they showed the ratings... Wanted to say "See, more people liked that lame episode of Aqua Teens than Cowboy Bebop, and it has nothing to do with it being on later or the general view of animation in the US)

There was, of course, the imports.. Mission Hill, Home Movies, Futurama, Family Guy, American Dad... I like a lot of this stuff (though a lot of stuff on Family Guy bugs me and I don't bother with American Dad, as it's just a concentrated version of Family Guy)

Still, I liked some of the original stuff on there...

Then came Venture, Stoker, and Tom... Venture brothers, I liked... It was a satire of Johnny Quest, and the shows actually had plots... Not only that, it was normal length and had a sense of order to it... And it wasn't made in flash!! Seriously, flash is made for people who don't have a budget to make real animation... Like me... Not for cartoon companies with lots of money...

Stoker was... Not so great... It seemed like they were trying harder and harder to get away with more and more... And it was in flash...

Tom... Tom was interesting, but not worth watching more than 1 episode... The novelty wore off rather quickly...

Well, with this new set of cartoons... The Happy Tree friends (which I still havent' seen yet), Boondocks, Perfect Hair... I know the basic concept of Happy Tree friends, and it's somethign that was in "Mike and Spike" Animals brutalizing each other... Ok... Why didn't this fad wear out after "Hamster in the Blender" and "Gerbil in the Microwave"? As for Boondocks, I've watched about 3 episodes and besides wondering how on earth that got on TV (much like I wondered about southpark, but for some different reasons) I just saw Perfect hair today... Again, a miss... I'm all for stupid humor, but this isn't funny... It's like Aqua teens minus the golden moments that made it worth it every three episodes...

There are some other shows I haven't seen either... Squidbillies, 12 oz. mouse, and robot chicken... Is it worth staying up to watch stuff and wade through the crap? Are any of those other shows any good? I may just wait for Venture DVDs... I think I've otherwise outgrown Adult Swim... Hmm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Tommy » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:18 am

I dont care if they only show all these shows all ong as Full Metal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, and Family Guy are still on. Those are the only shows I watch on AS
Tommy

Postby Stephen » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:31 am

I miss Aqua Teen. But Venture brothers is hilarious. As is the new Perfect hair show.
Stephen

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:43 am

bahahahaha... happy tree friends. XD

what a violent show.

but 12. oz mouse is EXCEEDINGLY stupid. and not in a good way. >.<
but robot chicken is really funny. XDD
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:43 pm

I rarely watch such shows on Adult Swim. Actually, I haven't found them that humorous, it is just that some shows have the occasional bit of hilarity (the Toaster Oven episode of Sealab 2021, for example). Though I rarely watch them, the only new show I've found that I feel occasionally does this is Venture Brothers.
uc pseudonym

Postby CookinLikeSanji » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:38 pm

Hit
Venture Bros.
Aqua Teen
Robot Chicken
Sealab
Birdman
Family Guy
Futurama

Miss
Nearly everything else.

Seriously...Who actually enjoys Squidbillies and 12 Oz. Mouse besides people so deranged they belong in a mental institution?

Tom Goes to the Mayor is essentially the same each episode...Tom meets with Mayor with an idea, gets approval from Mayor, Mayor screws it up some how, Tom puts up with the faulty idea and gets hurt somehow.

Stroker and Hoop I've found funny at certain moments, but for the most part it's a flop.

Perfect Hair Forever...I really don't even need to comment.
Cosplays Planned for Anime Vegas and PMX

Inuyasha (Inuyasha) - 0%
Kakashi (Naruto) - 0%
Komui (D.Gray-Man) - 0% (Not for AV/PMX - Starting Early for Anime Los Angeles)
CookinLikeSanji

Postby Stephen » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:24 pm

Perfect Hair Forever...I really don't even need to comment.

Oh come on! Its from the makers of Aqua Teen. The humor while dry in spots...always seems to have a few totaly hilarious spots.
Stephen

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:52 pm

Yeah I'd say the only real major flops so far are 12 Oz. Mouse, Tom Goes to the Mayor, and Stroker and Hoop.

Aqua Teens, Family Guy, Sealab, Robot Chicken, Futurama are the top shows in my opinion. Squidbillies, Harvey Birdman, and Perfect Hair Forever are pretty funny too. Boondocks is kind of eh...I'm not a prude so I can handle the humor but there's only been really 2 or 3 moments I really had a laugh out of the 4 or so episodes I've watched.

Well I'm happy with my two new Aqua Teen volumes anyway.:)
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Mikomi » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:49 am

I don't watch Adult Swim as much as I used to. Occasionally I will watch Family Guy or if I can manage to stay up late enough I'll watch Inuyasha, FMA, and Ghost in the Shell. I'll also watch Naruto if I remember its on.
Jesus is my light in this darkness. He is my hope.

Be still, and know that I am God. ~ Psalm 46:10~

For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? ~Matthew 16:26~

~Proud member of SPAM (Some People Attempt Missions)~
Our Motto: We provide family-friendly semi-evil goodness, complete with evil pudding and pants!

When life hands you lemons, squeeze them in life's eyes.

Kagome: SIT!!!!
Inuyasha: Uhhhnnn!!! @_@
Miroku: That's right...BIG sit.

The Glomp Project (featuring Kakashi)
Mikomi

Postby chibiphonebooth » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:53 am

Yojimbo wrote:Yeah I'd say the only real major flops so far are 12 Oz. Mouse, Tom Goes to the Mayor, and Stroker and Hoop.

Aqua Teens, Family Guy, Sealab, Robot Chicken, Futurama are the top shows in my opinion. Squidbillies, Harvey Birdman, and Perfect Hair Forever are pretty funny too. Boondocks is kind of eh...I'm not a prude so I can handle the humor but there's only been really 2 or 3 moments I really had a laugh out of the 4 or so episodes I've watched.

Well I'm happy with my two new Aqua Teen volumes anyway.:)

yeah i agree. i would hafta say the shows that i love to watch are family guy, aqua teen, robot chicken, and futurama. ^^
especially family guy. XD thats my fave. <3

i havent seen squidbillies... harvey birdman ive seen like 1 or 2 eps. of it and it was ok. never seen perfect hair forever... but the boondocks ive seen for a bit- and was trying to figure out if the person who made this was white or african american. XD i didnt find it all that funny.

but 12 oz. mouse... *pukes* what a stupid and pointless show. i had to turn it off because it just ... had no point. what so ever. and the animation looked like a 2 yr old drew everything. cheep cheep stuff. >.<
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Stephen » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:14 am

Well I'm happy with my two new Aqua Teen volumes anyway

What, did you get a few seasons for Christmas? I love the boxsets myself. I have the 4 seasons that i know of being out. They should be getting the 5th out pretty soon I guess.
Stephen

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:53 pm

I hate 12 OZ mouse..it looks like it was drawn on MS paint..and what is with that cop? He looks like a friggen bowling pin!

Perfect Hair forever..turned me off at the start..The last thing I need to see is a perverted old Granpa and a balding kid with a hair complex.

Stroker and Hoop is retarded, Tom is just...pointless..Venture Bros scares me... yeah...

I am so glad I won't be home this saturday for the 12 ounc emouse marathon.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Solid Ronin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:27 pm

I thought Stroker and Hoop and The Boondocks were extreamly funny.

However I must say That While S&H is still going strong, The Boondocks seems to be getting weaker each episode, how sad.
Solid Ronin

Postby Tommy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:11 am

chibiphonebooth wrote:bahahahaha... happy tree friends. XD

what a violent show.

but 12. oz mouse is EXCEEDINGLY stupid. and not in a good way. >.<
but robot chicken is really funny. XDD

I`ve never seen 12 oz. Mouse but I can tell ya Robot Chicken and Stroker and Hoop are BLEH!

As far as CN goes, it really is "good to have a Family Guy".
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:15 am

chibiphonebooth wrote:yeah i agree. i would hafta say the shows that i love to watch are family guy, aqua teen, robot chicken, and futurama. ^^
especially family guy. XD thats my fave. <3

i havent seen squidbillies... harvey birdman ive seen like 1 or 2 eps. of it and it was ok. never seen perfect hair forever... but the boondocks ive seen for a bit- and was trying to figure out if the person who made this was white or african american. XD i didnt find it all that funny.

but 12 oz. mouse... *pukes* what a stupid and pointless show. i had to turn it off because it just ... had no point. what so ever. and the animation looked like a 2 yr old drew everything. cheep cheep stuff. >.<

Yeppers.:thumb: Well I've just been exposed to a good number of hicks in my life which Squidbillies makes fun of. Since both of my grandparents live in a town where there are quite of them so it's easy for me to laugh at that.

Harvey Birdman's humor is a little wierder than the other shows. I mainly like the nostalgia from watching all those Hanna Barbara cartoons like Birdman, Secret Squirrel, Quick Draq McGraw, The Superfriends. I mean Apache Chief losing his 'Elechock' or whatever ability to spilled hot coffee, to Morroco Mole being indicted for terrorism, and of course Shaggy and Scooby getting busted for smokin the reefer.:lol: It's not as funny as say Family Guy or Aqua Teens but it deffinetly has its moments.

Yeah I watched about 45 seconds of 12 Oz. Mouse once, probably the worst show I had ever seen on Adult Swim.

Boondocks is by Aaron Mcgrudder (sp?) and yeah he's a black guy. You might have seen the comic strips before. Very political to say the least. The show's more about shock value though but of course it throws politics in there all the time about you name it. I certainly don't agree with like 80% of what they're trying to say but I can handle it. There's plenty of making fun of white people's antics, but he's fair at least and makes fun of stereotypical black stuff like gangsterism and whatnot. The only real times I had a laugh were when the crazy black janitor guy said something totally ridiculous. And the blind, senile, nearly deaf, angry guy was pretty funny, but he [spoiler]died[/spoiler]. Ehh I'd watch it over Tom Goes to the Mayor or 12 Oz. Mouse if I had to choose. But it's deffinetly on the bottom of the list as far as "watchable" AS shows goes for me personally.

Shatterheart wrote:What, did you get a few seasons for Christmas? I love the boxsets myself. I have the 4 seasons that i know of being out. They should be getting the 5th out pretty soon I guess.

You are correct sir, I got 2 and 4 so now I have all of them. I imagine it will be awhile actually I remember watching Little Brittle and Gee-Whize at the beginning of the year or so. Kinda fuzzy but I remember it was a number of months back. I bet by summer they'd have the new one out.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:28 am

The angry blind man episode was actually one of the few things I have seen from that show that I truly liked (putting aside the occasional funny moment). It had a feel of harsh reality there at the end. All the main characters were flawed and there isn't a simple moral lesson. Not funny, but that doesn't mean it wasn't worthwhile.
uc pseudonym

Postby chibiphonebooth » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:01 am

Yojimbo wrote:Yeppers.:thumb: Well I've just been exposed to a good number of hicks in my life which Squidbillies makes fun of. Since both of my grandparents live in a town where there are quite of them so it's easy for me to laugh at that.

Harvey Birdman's humor is a little wierder than the other shows. I mainly like the nostalgia from watching all those Hanna Barbara cartoons like Birdman, Secret Squirrel, Quick Draq McGraw, The Superfriends. I mean Apache Chief losing his 'Elechock' or whatever ability to spilled hot coffee, to Morroco Mole being indicted for terrorism, and of course Shaggy and Scooby getting busted for smokin the reefer.:lol: It's not as funny as say Family Guy or Aqua Teens but it deffinetly has its moments.

Yeah I watched about 45 seconds of 12 Oz. Mouse once, probably the worst show I had ever seen on Adult Swim.

Boondocks is by Aaron Mcgrudder (sp?) and yeah he's a black guy. You might have seen the comic strips before. Very political to say the least. The show's more about shock value though but of course it throws politics in there all the time about you name it. I certainly don't agree with like 80% of what they're trying to say but I can handle it. There's plenty of making fun of white people's antics, but he's fair at least and makes fun of stereotypical black stuff like gangsterism and whatnot. The only real times I had a laugh were when the crazy black janitor guy said something totally ridiculous. And the blind, senile, nearly deaf, angry guy was pretty funny, but he [spoiler]died[/spoiler]. Ehh I'd watch it over Tom Goes to the Mayor or 12 Oz. Mouse if I had to choose. But it's deffinetly on the bottom of the list as far as "watchable" AS shows goes for me personally.

You are correct sir, I got 2 and 4 so now I have all of them. I imagine it will be awhile actually I remember watching Little Brittle and Gee-Whize at the beginning of the year or so. Kinda fuzzy but I remember it was a number of months back. I bet by summer they'd have the new one out.

actually, to tell the truth, ive never even heard of squidbillies.. XD but your grandparents live in a hick town? LOL thats so funny. XD do they have a bigger accent than you? :P

*pictures them sitting on their porch and rocking back and forth, chewing on one of those long hay things, and talking about the cattle* XD

*ahem* yeah, anyway, i havent watched much of the old harvy birdman or any of those old shows.. wasnt too fond of them. :/ so i guess alot of that humor goes right above my head. XD

oh ok. cause i didnt know if aron was making fun of black people or white people.. and i was quite confused. XD i turned if off anyway...it wasnt my type of humor. :/
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Return to General Entertainment