Another Sign Cartoon Network As Lost It

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:01 pm

Even the people at CNN(owned by Turner Broadcasting as is Cartoon Network)said the stunt was "moronic".
The fact is you have to remember that since 9/11 Americans in general take anything like this seriously because no-one knows when and if another big terrorist attack will occur.It was only sheer foolish luck that it ended up being nothing more than a stupid publicity stunt.
The question is what if it hadn't been?
Also consider all the time and manpower,not to mention money that was wasted for the Boston and Massachuetts authorities to spend just to make sure it WASN'T
a terror threat.
Along with New York city,Boston would be one of the most likely targets IF
there were another major terrorist threat or attack.So one cannot fault them for being a little overly paranoid about the incident.
mitsuki lover

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:30 pm

A few weeks ago, they put this signs up in Atlanta and no one went nuts over it.

From what I heard that some of the signs, where put up in Boston as early as Jan 15.

It just took one nutcase to yell, BOMB and city went crazy.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:38 pm

Granted it was a stupid prank to pull, especially after everything this country went through, but I think that the city of Boston needs to lighten up a bit...This is just how panic can spread across the country--one city freaks out, EVERYONE freaks out.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Tommy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:10 pm

Hey guys, stop hating on Boston. ;)

Well, if AS was trying to get more people to know of ATHF's existence, it worked.

Oh, and Nate gets 10 cool points for something I was just about to say when I saw this thread.

I can understand people being paranoid, though, considering the world we live in today.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:28 pm

I have to say that I am actually more on Boston's side than AS's... Although I don't think AS needs to be in as much trouble as they are in..

Boston was only responding to what they are supposed to do. What if this had been a REAL bomb? What then? Anyone can make these objects and implant bombs into them. Just because they have an Adult Swim cartoon, doesn't always mean they are made by AS. Some nutbar could have made them, and made them to be lethal.

AS should have alerted authorities as to what they were doing three weeks ago when these were first planted. It would have avoided a big problem.

The phrase "Tis better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission" is very outdated and it will more often than not bite you in the butt if you follow it.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Stephen » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:45 pm

Did anyone see the Press thing today? The 2 guys blew the media off. I have never been more proud to be an Aqua Teen fan. The guys talked about hair, rather then answer the medias questions. I would imagine that whoever paid them to do this, told them to keep there mouths shut for the time being. Thus the convo on 70's hair. This just keeps getting better and better. More people are talking about the Mooninites right now, then ever before. Even if Time Warner gets fined big time...we still win. ATHF rejoice.
Stephen

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:47 am

ShatterheartArk wrote:Did anyone see the Press thing today? The 2 guys blew the media off. I have never been more proud to be an Aqua Teen fan. The guys talked about hair, rather then answer the medias questions. I would imagine that whoever paid them to do this, told them to keep there mouths shut for the time being. Thus the convo on 70's hair. This just keeps getting better and better. More people are talking about the Mooninites right now, then ever before. Even if Time Warner gets fined big time...we still win. ATHF rejoice.

Considering how over the top the reactions are from the media, that is a great response. More people need to learn how to cut the media off and get some privacy back into their lives, rather than letting them bully answers out of everybody about everything. Whoever told 'em to stay quiet was a smart person.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:39 am

After thinking about it a while, I've come to a conclusion. Cartoon Network is not stupid, there was nothing wrong with this marketing campaign, and this is being blown out of proportion for nothing.

My reasons for this:

1. According to Turner, these same ads have been in place in 10 major cities for two to three weeks. No one else went paranoid over them that we know of.

2. Do these people watch old Schwarzenegger movies or something? Since when do real life bombs have freaking LEDs on them? Come on...use common sense, people.

3. Okay, if you're a terrorist, and you're planting a bomb, which would be a better idea. A) Have a bomb that is completely unnoticeable, decreasing the chances of someone seeing it and reporting it, allowing the bomb to be disarmed and removed. Or B) Have a bomb with a big freaking blinking light on it that gains everyone's attention and therefore is useless because someone will report it as a bomb and have it disarmed and removed, foiling your plans to blow up whatever the bomb was attached to.

Yeah. That's what I thought. I don't think terrorists are retarded, so if something has big blinking lights on it to make you pay attention to it, it's probably not a bomb!

So yeah. This promotional stunt makes me love CN more. And the two guys who got arrested are awesome. In summary...

FREE PETER!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Stephen » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:42 am

The best thing is, in the last few days I have explained to a ton of people what Aqua Teen is, what station its on. Etc. The only way this could get any better, is if at the Superbowl, someone streaks across the field with a mooninite painted on his back.

"FREE PETER FREE PETER OWWWWIEEEEE!!!!!"

Announcer>oh.Dear. It seems a nude man...with some sort of green....small hulk giving the finger!

Steve>THAT'S IGNIGNOT YOU DOLT!
Stephen

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:50 am

You know, I had a thought.

These things were up for about two weeks and no one said anything.

Do you think maybe, just maybe...since they weren't getting enough attention, a CN employee called into the police station to report them as bombs, knowing it would get insane amounts of media coverage?

That would be brilliant.

Nate

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:07 pm

It's so crazy, it just might be true!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:15 pm

1.The first objects were seen by a commuter on the way to work so it is hardly likely they were able to stop and get a good look at what they were.
2.A couple of the objects had loose wires which could be misinterpreted to mean they were some type of explosive device.
3.The people responsible for the stunt placed a few underneath a bridge which is a likely target for a bomb if it was a real terror threat.
4.Even if you consider it was only a PR stunt it did end up tying up traffic all day and so not too many commuters would be happy.
5.Better prepared and cautious than ill-prepared and dead.
6.ATHF still sucks lemons in any case..and the people at AS are still jerks IMO.
7.They should have given the Authorities the proper warning of what was going on.
8.Atlanta is probably used to CN's stupid stunts.
9.The two men arrested looked like typical stoner types.
10.The whole hair thing was a stupid delay tactic so their bosses could come up with some lame excuse for what they did.
11.Let's have Ted Turner pay for it...let's take away his ranch in Montana and give it back to the Blackfeet!
mitsuki lover

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:26 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:1.The first objects were seen by a commuter on the way to work so it is hardly likely they were able to stop and get a good look at what they were.

Okay, I'll grant you that. Even so, like I said, only a stupid terrorist would make an obvious bomb, so chances are if you can see it, it's not a bomb.
2.A couple of the objects had loose wires which could be misinterpreted to mean they were some type of explosive device.

Okay, now this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If I throw out my stereo, it has exposed wires so you should call the police! Hey, LOTS of electronic devices have loose wires. Geez, if you're going to call the freaking bomb squad every time you see an object with loose wires, they'll never stop working.
3.The people responsible for the stunt placed a few underneath a bridge which is a likely target for a bomb if it was a real terror threat.

By that logic every advertisement is a potential bomb because they're all placed in places with lots of people or on buildings that could collapse if they were exploded. Not a valid argument.
4.Even if you consider it was only a PR stunt it did end up tying up traffic all day and so not too many commuters would be happy.

That's the government's fault, not Cartoon Network's.
5.Better prepared and cautious than ill-prepared and dead.

That kind of logic proves the terrorists have won. When we constantly live in fear and shut down entire cities for ads with cartoon characters giving the finger on them, when we have reached the point where terrorists don't even have to lift a finger to make us scared of our own shadow or an ADVERTISEMENT for a cartoon, then they have won the War on Terror.
6.ATHF still sucks lemons in any case..and the people at AS are still jerks IMO.

Oh, yeah, THIS is a logical and well-prepared, INTELLIGENT argument. Inuyasha sucks ten times worse than ATHF and the government officials in Boston are still idiots.
7.They should have given the Authorities the proper warning of what was going on.

Yes, they should have. I agree completely.
8.Atlanta is probably used to CN's stupid stunts.

I notice you didn't mention the eight other cities this promotion took part in.
9.The two men arrested looked like typical stoner types.

Yeah, because the terrorists who flew the planes into the Twin Towers were stoners.
10.The whole hair thing was a stupid delay tactic so their bosses could come up with some lame excuse for what they did.

And it was a jab at the media for turning this stunt into a national incident.
11.Let's have Ted Turner pay for it...let's take away his ranch in Montana and give it back to the Blackfeet!

Ooh, have the government take away personal property for no reason. How very Communist of you.

Nate

Postby Yojimbo » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:42 pm

Haha oh man this has all given me a good laugh. Nate and Shatterheart have said anything I could think of. What Adult Swim did was brilliant advertising and people are blowing this way out of proportion. Everyone needs to chill I mean come on it's a glowing Ignigknot panel with some coppertop D batteries in them.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Doubleshadow » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Mitsuki Lover, Nate, since you can't take it outside, could you take it to PM?

I think there was poor judgment on both sides; first, to pull a publicity stunt, no matter how brilliant, that could cause panic because the human race is notoriously stupid, and two, make such a big deal out of it that it can no longer be handled in a reasonable manner. But, I feel bad for the police. They probably knew it was no threat but were forced by policy to treat it as one. What a hassle. I wonder how AS plans to capitalize on their new found infamy.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Debitt » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:28 pm

As much as I want to say better safe than sorry, I think the government's reaction to this was way overblown.

Should Adult Swim have notified people before putting those things up? Sure. But the authorities' overall reaction to the entire thing was just as poorly thought out. Did they even attempt to identify the bright, colorful lights on the boxes before screaming bomb? It seems like some level-headed reasoning would have prevented this entire incident.

The response those guys gave to the press was hilarious, though. :D It is indeed a good day to be a fan. Now let's talk hair.

EDIT: Also, I was listening to a news report on this yesterday, and they kept tossing the word "hoax" around; there is an ocean of difference between "publicity stunt" and "hoax" that the officials need to get straight. It was driving me crazy.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Tommy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Nate has a good argument about how terrorism truly operates and this out of his post I believe contained the most truth:

That kind of logic proves the terrorists have won. When we constantly live in fear and shut down entire cities for ads with cartoon characters giving the finger on them, when we have reached the point where terrorists don't even have to lift a finger to make us scared of our own shadow or an ADVERTISEMENT for a cartoon, then they have won the War on Terror.

However this post stooped down to his level or further below:

Inuyasha sucks ten times worse than ATHF and the government officials in Boston are still idiots.

As you would say "Oh, yeah, THIS is a logical and well-prepared, INTELLIGENT argument."

I personally prefer ATHF over Inuyasha but my feelings on the show are irrelevant. You just claimed he prepared an illogical arguement when as far as that sentence goes you did the same.

There's a difference between government officials showing paranoia and idiocy. I'm not saying this because I live in Boston. I'm saying this as a general statement.

They should have given the Authorities the proper warning of what was going on.

*Hands MS a cookie for bringing up something that if it was done, this little "prank advertisement" wouldn't have turned into a national crisis.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:46 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:You just claimed he prepared an illogical arguement when as far as that sentence goes you did the same.

Sarcasm. ]There's a difference between government officials showing paranoia and idiocy. I'm not saying this because I live in Boston. I'm saying this as a general statement.[/QUOTE]
Not entirely. Paranoia is an unfounded, illogical fear of something. Since the common definition of idiocy is something illogical, they're mostly interchangeable. At least as far as I'm concerned.

But I agree CN should have gotten permission before putting up the ads. If nothing else, they are guilty of advertising without permission. Otherwise what's to stop me from putting a Wal-Mart ad on a Target sign? However, that's all they're guilty of.

Nate

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:21 pm

I'm going to ask the argumentative discussion of the subject to end now.

Nate wrote:Do you think maybe, just maybe...since they weren't getting enough attention, a CN employee called into the police station to report them as bombs, knowing it would get insane amounts of media coverage?

Well, that's much the same as what I already said. The consequences of this can't be enough to counter the publicity they're receiving, and I'm not willing to believe that no one working at Adult Swim is intelligent/devious enough to think of it.

Can anyone link (via PM, most likely) me to video of the AS response? I'd be curious to see it myself.
uc pseudonym

Postby Stephen » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:17 pm

I will refrain from offering rebuttals to your comments Mitsukilover. (God knows thats hard) However, I will say this. Your attitude on long hair cracks me up. Perhaps it has been that long since you were in your 20's? Thank you for making a nice sweaping generalization of all long haired young people. Because obviously, if someone has long hair they do drugs. And obviously if someone likes a TV show you don't they cannot be smart right? They must be stupid, or a drug user. That kind of logic is not only oozing from your post, but it is oozing from most radio shows right now. Run by, you guessed it, out of touch old people. Hey Nate, sorry about all the school you have gone through. You are doomed to do drugs and be stupid. Better shave our heads too. Maybe it will make us smarter.
Stephen

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:06 am

AWW Iwanna see that reaction!! HAHA!! I didn't get a chance too! :O

*sings* "Why...can't we be friends!?"

tis just a tv show all, nothing to kill each other over... LOVE AND PEACE!!! :3

I also have wondered if CN did this on purpose...that would be classical!!! XDDD

And I am sure a whole new audience has been watching ATHF...just to see what this mooninite thing is!

AS should totally air Mooninite Week honoring this XDDD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:18 am

This was pretty hilarious. I heard about it briefly a couple days ago but never looked into what actually happened. Never heard of ATHF either till this so I checked out a couple episodes on YouTube... it was so random and stupid, my sides were hurtin. MC Pee pants still cracks me up. And the meatball pwns.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Previous

Return to General Entertainment