Seen Narnia!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby gundam743 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:00 pm

Saw it yesterday; it was pretty good, but there was a lot of little things that bugged me, like the white witch not seeming evil enough, Aslan's battle entrance not dramatic enough, the stone table not making a big boom, etc. (Ya, i know, im picky.)

The biggest thing, though, (i think someone said this already) was that it seemed rushed. Really rushed. Like "they tried to stuff 4 hours into 2 hours 20 minutes" rushed. Scenes like the turkish delight and aslan's explaination of his sacrifice could have been elaborated on so much more...grrrr.

But the good parts definetly outway the bad. The sacrifice was done really well, and the edmund and lucy were acted skillfully. my favorite character was definitly the captain centaur, especially when he charged the white witch. YAH! :rock: All in all, AWESOME movie!

(I hope they pull a LOTR and release an extended edition :thumb: )

edit: oh, and i think they should have shown aslan jumping, too.
"The difference between leading yourself or following God is being all you want to be, or being all you can be."
gundam743

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:03 pm

Aslan could not fly in the book. He only did that in the BBC mini-series from the late 80s. But it is strange he doesn't jump.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:29 pm

Then again, in that theater when the grown children wonder, "What is this?" someone yelled "A lamppost!" It was a middle-aged woman, too.

Now THAT'S comic relief. ;)

Too many LOTR fans...

Too many LOTR haters...XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:31 pm

I don't know if Aslan COULDN'T fly or just DIDN'T. No big deal, but just wondering, since he is supposed to be godlike.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:00 am

I guess he could since he's the all-powerful Jesus equivalent in Narnia, but he doesn't fly in the book.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Ingemar » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:09 am

I'm sorry--I was thinking about the BBC version. And a picture of him flying.

*smacks the BBC version with a rusty poker*
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Stephen » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:18 am

As far as the White Witch "looking like a man" Its rather funny you say that. The ladies name is Tilda Swenson. She was also the angel Gabriel in Constantine. They cast her for it, because they wanted a genderless angel. Ironic that people say she is too "boyish" in Narnia. (still feels weird that he found her slightly attractive in Constantine) Anyway, I should be seeing Narnia on Tuesday.
Stephen

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:53 am

I can't say I found Tilda Swinton seductive and beautiful like the books (from what I've seen - not seen movie yet). She has very lidded eyes (not enough sleep?) and quite hollow cheekbones not the normal beautiful. She is a very good actor and I think she will pull off the role very well (from what I've heard) but I would have liked her to be a bit more beautiful. I'm not saying anything like outside appearances are the most important at all, just that you need someone very beautiful and alluring for this role and Tilda Swinton is not.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby desperado » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:27 am

She does a perfect role of the white witch, Yes she may not look exactly the part but how she acts plays it perfectly, I even noticed remnents of red in her hair and if anyone has read the magicians nephew then we will see they may continue on the series
desperado

Postby insanewitapen » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:47 am

I loved it but I do agree they could have done better with the costumes and weapons and edditing ^^; And also the turkish delight scene did seemed rushed. But I loved how they focussed so much on the relationship between the siblings. Also, the scene where the which killed Aslan did have me in atleast on tear <3

oh and LUCY WAS ADORABLE~~~ X3
[color="LemonChiffon"]Perfect World International
Llux-Sanctuary[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="LemonChiffon"]My DeviantArt[/color]
insanewitapen

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:12 am

The movie was good, definitely. I won't even try to disagree with that. I think, though, that a couple things detracted from the movie, and that was very unfortunate.

1) The movie really lacked a lot of emotional impact for me. I'm not saying that it was devoid of emotional impact or anything, but I just remember never being about to contain my sobs when I used to watch the old BBC version. This version didn't really give us sufficient time to have a strong emotional bond with Aslan before the death scene.

2) Some of the creatures were perfectly laughable. The commander of the white witch's forces, for instance, looked like a Say-boooooooooo! *breaks into a veggie tales song* Everytime I saw that thing, I kept laughing.

3) It would have seemed a lot less cartoon-esque if Peter and Edmond had armour that was more Lord of the Rings like. What they wore reminded me of a bad halloween costume.

4) The sword handling was very lack luster. Yes, yes, I know they were kids who didn't have any particular battle skills, but, look, there's no way anyone who held his sword like Peter did would last twenty seconds in an all out battle against the White Witch. (Maybe my brain has gone on a field trip, but I don't remember the queen's name being Jadis. . .)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:50 am

I thought the White Witch was done moderately well; I have never really viewed her as seductive. However, I did find her inch and a half thick dress a bit odd, and the crown of icicles doesn't look as nice as it sounds in text. She should have been taller, given her home dimension.
uc pseudonym

Postby Nate » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:07 am

Mangafanatic wrote:(Maybe my brain has gone on a field trip, but I don't remember the queen's name being Jadis. . .)

Your brain went bye-bye, Osaka. The White Witch's name is indeed Jadis. Having read The Magician's Nephew about ten times, I am quite sure of this. :P

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby termyt » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:49 am

Mangafanatic wrote:
4) The sword handling was very lack luster. Yes, yes, I know they were kids who didn't have any particular battle skills, but, look, there's no way anyone who held his sword like Peter did would last twenty seconds in an all out battle against the White Witch.

I remember thinking that as well, but it is fitting since they hadn't had much practice with a sword before then. It does make the fight between Peter and Jadis a little awkward because she seems like a very good fighter.

But perhaps she is all about her magic wand and not about her sword skills.

I was very impressed with the movie. I thought they did a fantastic job bringing the book to the big screen and I look forward to more installments in the future.

Another great fantasy epic made in the land of the kiwis. You all down there are making quite a name for yourselves.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby creed4 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:57 am

I was on scifi.com this morning and they said the movie was number 1 at the box office this weekend.
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby SnowLeopard » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:11 pm

I looved this movie. I saw it twice and I NEVER do that.

The griffon was probably the most awsome creature there, but I also thought the phoenix was pretty cool.

I have a mind like a steel trap. Rusty, unsafe, and illegal in 48 states.

Forgive my idiosyncrasies, for if they did not exist, neither would I.
SnowLeopard

Postby Nu-En-Jin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:44 pm

Okay, let me preface this:

I am a C. S. Lewis fanboy.

There, now that you know where this "review" is coming from, let's dive right into the meat of the juicy big-budget adaptation.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, is a fantastic book. It's easily the most popular of the series, in most people's estimation, and the one that most people have read, even if they never touched the remaining 6 volumes. The movie, well... the movie is really great. Not outstanding to the point of being the definitive version of our beloved tale that I wished it would have been, but great, nonetheless.

The effects are great, but some seem rather rushed and unpolished, perhaps because of the obvious comparisons that will be made to Peter Jackson's outstanding take on the Lord of the Rings. Director Andrew Adamson does an admirable job of trying to convey the story in it's essence, while adding more suspence and taking out the very heart of Narnia, only to replace it with the surface of a glistening puddle, rather than the ocean of Jesus-centric magesty Lewis imbued in the novel. Let me explain:

The story, and by that I mean the whole 7 volumes of the Chronicles, focuses upon Aslan. He created Narnia, He saved it, He ended it. It's all about the glorious Lion Himself. I use the capital lettering in describing Aslan, simply because He is a picture of Jesus Christ. The power and kingship of Him is portayed in the movie. The compassionate heart and self-sacrifice is given due screentime. But the heart is missing in action. He is a sight to behold, as a computer generated lion. He is amazing to hear, with the rather apt voice talent of Liam Neeson. He is fierce in battle and imposing in stature, as you'd imagine, but... in the end, He comes off as just another Lion, with... something more, but not really revealed as much as He should have been. I could go on and on about the missing dialogue, the changes made to the script, the pieces of the story that are wholesale fabrication, and especially the moments I missed from the book that they COULD have included, with no trouble at all... but I really just wanted Aslan to be... well, ASLAN. And this, on the screen, was a beautiful shadow of Him. This was a lion... not THE LION.

I remember watching the Passion of the Christ in the theaters, and tearing up at almost the outset, just because this was somehow hoped to be more than a mere film, but was a depiction of what my best friend had done for me, personally. The movie was good, for what it is, but it is simply film- a shadow of the reality of Jesus, and therefore, will never live up to Who I know Him to be. I KNOW Jesus. He IS alive, and DID go through a torture and death FAR greater in evil and pain and misery than could ever be filmed. My expectations for the Passion were based upon the REALITY of Jesus, and knowing Him personally.

That is how I felt about Aslan. When I read the books, over and over, I felt Him. I felt the Lion, but more than that, I felt the One Who the Lion represents. Watching Narnia last night was like watching someone else tell the story of your best friend. They can never get it right in your estimation, because they are merely telling the story of someone they don't know personally. I do. I know the Lion of the tribe of Judah. The great I Am. He is everything to me, and no amount of film can depict Him the way He is known in my heart, my mind, or my very life.

So perhaps the people who made the movie did the best they could. I'm sure they tried their best, but Aslan- the TRUE essence of Aslan- only winks out from behind that computer-generated mane once or twice in the movie.

As for the rest, the kids are cast PERFECTLY. Peter was brave and still unsure of himself- the essential boy becoming the man that he should have been. Susan was flawless- never quite believing in the experiences they were having, even when she was in the midst of them herself. This depiction makes perfect sense if you know how the whole Chronicle ends, too. Edmund was awesome. The kid who played him was not nearly as hateful and whiny as the BBC version's brat, so you feel for this Edmund more. You realize early on that he can, and will be, redeemed. Lucy... good grief, the girl they got IS Lucy. That cute grin melts the hearts of everyone in the theater, and you can't help but want to pick her up and squeeze her like the adorable little thing she is. All four of them were good actors, too.

Tumnus was alright. The guy playing him did a good job, I thought. Tilda Swinton as the witch was great, but I remember her being far more maniacal in the book- more brooding and just flat-out evil... and definately more frightened of Aslan, as it should have been.

The CG characters where done well enough, the special effects over all were decent, but not breathtaking by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps we're just spoiled with all the effects-laden movies of the past few years, that it doesn't "wow" us the way it used to. Ah well...

All in all, I loved the movie, even though the heart was missing. Here's praying for Mr. Adamson, that before he takes up the reigns to direct the next book, Prince Caspian, the Lord would save him.

No, seriously. I'll pray for that. Not so I can get my remaining chapters of this story done more to my specifications, but rather so he might come to know the great Lion Himself. I'd love to see all involved in this project come to know Jesus. Like Paul said, it might not be perfect, but at least Christ IS being preached...

Long live the True King.
Two fish in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You know how to drive this thing?"
Nu-En-Jin

Postby Puguni » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:29 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I'm not so sure I agree. He did a few funny things, but not that much (though I don't think he got in the way, either). What struck me as odd was that in the theater in which I watched the film, when Susan shoots him there was uproarious laughter. Why? There simply isn't anything funny about that.

People did that in my theatre too. I laughed because of the sound he made when he died and how quickly he died; he just fell over.

Anyway, I liked this movie. It seems I got tearful at the wrong times; I got sad at the beginning. Also, I didn't think Lucy was cute. Did anyone else notice that part in the beginning where she was smiling, and then all of sudden, she stopped smiling? It also creeped me out when she threw her dagger with accuracy.

Overall, I liked it a lot. It stuck fairly close to the book. I liked how there were no elves! Yay!
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:48 pm

Nu-En-Jin wrote:Tilda Swinton as the witch was great, but I remember her being far more maniacal in the book- more brooding and just flat-out evil... and definately more frightened of Aslan, as it should have been.

That's mostly a modern philosophic convention, I think. Evil can't seem to be weaker than good at any point. This is particularly evident after Aslan makes his deal with the White Witch. While I don't find this particularly amazing in the book ("wow"?), it creates a very different atmosphere than the same scene in the movie.

Puguni wrote:Also, I didn't Lucy was cute. Did anyone else notice that part in the beginning where she was smiling, and then all of sudden, she stopped smiling?

No, but I didn't find her particularly cute either.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:35 am

kaemmerite wrote:Your brain went bye-bye, Osaka. The White Witch's name is indeed Jadis. Having read The Magician's Nephew about ten times, I am quite sure of this. :P

*Bids her brain ADIEU!*

uc pseudonym wrote:I'm not so sure I agree. He did a few funny things, but not that much (though I don't think he got in the way, either). What struck me as odd was that in the theater in which I watched the film, when Susan shoots him there was uproarious laughter. Why? There simply isn't anything funny about that.

I think it was the combination of how he was sneaking up on Edmond, the sound he made when he died, and the fact that the flopped over instantly that made it so laughable. It was really just too hokey to be anything but laughable. You'd think that the creatores (whom I assume did not intend for that part to be funny) would have realized that that scene needed to be cut or redone or something, after screenings.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:16 am

Mangafanatic wrote:*Bids her brain ADIEU!*

Oh, come now, with how much it explodes, there wasn't much left there to bid adieu to anyway. ]Evil can't seem to be weaker than good at any point. This is particularly evident after Aslan makes his deal with the White Witch.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I can't imagine the White Witch in the book staring at Aslan and going, "How do I know you will keep your word?" She sat down when he roared, but she still didn't seem frightened at all...I dunno. It just wasn't that good of a scene to me.

It seems I got tearful at the wrong times; I got sad at the beginning.

You too, huh? I thought I was the only weird one... @.@

And along with uc and Puguni, I didn't think Lucy was cute either. Then again, I don't really like kids, so that's to be expected. >.>;;

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Rogie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:23 pm

Btw, everyone's mentioning the BBC version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but I haven't heard anyone mention the animated version that was on PBS and later on the Disney Channel.

Anyone here seen that version? I personally love that version, simply because they make Narnia such a beautiful, colorful place. But I'm not sure if it's better than the Disney movie out now. To me, they're pretty close.
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:51 pm

For that matter, there was a live set of movies following the BBC version. Much better technology, though they obviously have their limitations.

Mangafanatic wrote:I think it was the combination of how he was sneaking up on Edmond, the sound he made when he died, and the fact that the flopped over instantly that made it so laughable. It was really just too hokey to be anything but laughable. You'd think that the creatores (whom I assume did not intend for that part to be funny) would have realized that that scene needed to be cut or redone or something, after screenings.

I am not completely certain the creators didn't intend it to be funny.

kaemmerite wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine the White Witch in the book staring at Aslan and going, "How do I know you will keep your word?" She sat down when he roared, but she still didn't seem frightened at all...I dunno. It just wasn't that good of a scene to me.

If I recall, she said very something similar in the book. It was just that Aslan really made her regret asking.
uc pseudonym

Postby creed4 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:29 pm

Aslan always had a presence about him
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:57 pm

I saw this movie last night...I think the fact that I had read the book enhanced my experience. I enjoyed myself, and I cried once, so overall it was good.

However, it seems like they tried to make this movie too "kiddy". I mean, there wasn't a single drop of blood. I know the books were for children, but leaving the blood out entirely? Why even rate it PG, then?

I also didn't like the dialogue changes. :\ If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm impressed that the allegory and the message of Christ is still in there, but I feel like they were still trying to hide it. To someone who hasn't read the book, I suspect it would probably be confusing. (Hopefully this leads to them reading the book and understanding better, but you know how people are about books.)

I remember being kind of disappointed that Aslan wasn't as...impressive as he was in the book. If I recall correctly, Aslan could run very very fast in the book. But when it showed Lucy and Susan riding on him in the movie, he didn't seem to be moving fast at all.

You really need to read the book to get the full effect of the movie, I think.

Also, a nitpick: I thought the White Witch should have been...well...a little whiter. I think the actress they chose was good, but they should have applied white makeup or something. Her face looked too plain as well...I always imagined the White Witch being beautiful.

I don't know...I almost feel like this movie was made without love and was made in a hurry. The only reason Aslan's death made me cry is because it reminded me of when I read it in the book.

Well...that's enough. Overall, I feel it's a success, and will help pave the way for more (decent) Christian entertainment.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby indyrocker » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:05 pm

The movie was awsome for all of us who have seen the BBC version as well it was good in difrent ways but i must say the soundtrack is amazin heh heh in fact I am listening to it right now!
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:09 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Your brain went bye-bye, Osaka. The White Witch's name is indeed Jadis. Having read The Magician's Nephew about ten times, I am quite sure of this. :P

If you read them in the proper order, you won't know her name is Jadis until you've allready read LWW, and you don't find out that Jadis is the white witch until the end of MN, so it was sort of a surprise as an endnote rather than something you find out beforehand... it's like "Oh, she turned WHITE... She's the WHITE WITCH" A very large problem with reading it in Chronological order first...

[quote="LWW"]The Witch was just turning away with alook of fierce joy on her face when stopped and said, "But how do I know this promise will be kept?"

"Wow!" roared Aslan half rising from his throne]

The joy of trying to find a quote in LWW is that it's a rather short book...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:15 pm

I think the problem with the scene where the Witch asks "How do I know you will keep your word?" is that they didn't follow the book. When she said that, Aslan roared at her and she "picked up her skirts and fairly ran for her life." (close paraphrase of the book). In the movie, she just sits down. Lame. Aslan's more fearsome than that, at least to evil. That bugged me.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:53 am

UC

For that matter, there was a live set of movies following the BBC version. Much better technology, though they obviously have their limitations.

No there wasn't. There was cartoon version made in 1979, then the BBC series from 1988-1990? and then this latest movie. There was a live action version apparently in the mid-60s but its not believed to have survived to this day.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:19 am

Rogie-san wrote:Btw, everyone's mentioning the BBC version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but I haven't heard anyone mention the animated version that was on PBS and later on the Disney Channel.

Anyone here seen that version? I personally love that version, simply because they make Narnia such a beautiful, colorful place. But I'm not sure if it's better than the Disney movie out now. To me, they're pretty close.

I saw that! The white witch from that version is one of the most scarring memories of my childhood! *Has a very long list of frightening childhood memories.*

Mangafanatic

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment