old-school King Kong question

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

old-school King Kong question

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:29 pm

Well, with promoting the newer updated version of the movie (which, really has been due for a remake) there was a commercial on with footage from the orginal movie. They went on about how it was a big thing in the early 30s to go to, and as I watched the clips, I pondered... "There was obviously NO such thing as a computer etc. back in the 30s... so just HOW did they make their special effects?" It sort of looks like stop-frame animation or whatever, but it doesn't really look like clay, nor a man in a suit, nor a stuffed animal or anything!

...hmmm what exactly is this "form of technology"?
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Arnobius » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:47 pm

Stop motion technology with wooden models covered in fur if memory serves me. Also a giant metal hand also covered with fur for closeups. The ape voice was a lion's roar played backwards and slower speed.
Arnobius

Postby ashfire » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:48 pm

Just as you have guessed. Stop frame with a plastic or clay material over a metal frame. Sort of like they would do today for Wallet and Grommet movies.
My father was a boy of 6 when he went to see the movie when it came out.
He said the funniest thing was watching a older brother who had taken a younger brother to see the movie sitting in front of him and his brothers and sister. Everytime Kong would come on the screen the older brother would scream and throw popcorn up in the air which would shower down on everyone else sitting around them.
ashfire

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:50 pm

Oooh well that makes sense.
Well, technology's come a long way. The new movie reminds me of a mix of Jurassic Park with Mighty Joe Young :/
Tenshi no Ai

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:07 pm

I thought the original King Kong was a puppet, well, at least for the close-up shots.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Myoti » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:43 pm

The new movie reminds me of a mix of Jurassic Park with Mighty Joe Young :/

AHH! You too? XD
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:37 pm

Yeah, no kidding with Jack Black. That is the one thing Jurassic Park and Mighty Joe Young did not have. Jack Black. I mean seriously survival horror movies and dramatic sad movies about a giant gorilla NEED Jack Black!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you compare today`s special effects with King Kong then you will laugh histarically. Imagine watching this movie 50 years from now.
Tommy

Return to General Entertainment