Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Discussion Thread- There WILL be Spoilers.

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Discussion Thread- There WILL be Spoilers.

Postby Scribs » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:23 am

I saw the movie when it came out on Fri, and as there are no threads discussing it yet, I figgured I would start one. As this is a thread for people who have seen the movie, spoilerers will not be nessisary (unless talking about events in future books.) So what did those of you who saw it think? Personally, I liked it more than the third one, due to the fact that it seemed to be more true to the book. True they cut anything from the plot that they could possibly get away with, but at least there were no talkining jamacan shrunken heads.

Your thoughts?
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Aka-chan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:01 pm

I thought they did a good job for having to pack it into the time they did, but I was still sad at what they had to cut or change. I mean, no Quidditch World Cup?? I was so looking forward to that! But, yeah, it wasn't like they added a lot of non-canon stuff and just shoved the book aside.

Acting has gotten better too...

So, yeah, good job for what they had, especially time-wise.
Aka-chan

Postby Scribs » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:11 pm

I too was dissapointed about the world cup. it would have been good if we had even seen a minute or two of action, like say the wronski feignt or something. I did like the stadium they had for it, pity we didnt get to see any playing in it. They completely droped the character of Bagman, but he really didnt have any affect on the plot at all.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Sai » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:41 pm

I was sad about lack of Snape and Mcgonagall talking parts. I was also sad about the whole Myrtle thing, and Hagrid. Sigh, alas one cant have everything one wishes for, especially when hollywood is involved. Overall it was ok though, better than the third in my opinion. :)
Sai

Postby blue elf » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:10 pm

I thought it was tons better than the last movie. I was sad that they cut out the part where Harry and Dumbledore(I think, it's been a while since I've read the book) argue over Snape being a Death Eather. I wish the Quidditch Cup had been longer too and, the whole Death Eater trial thing that Harry saw in the pensieve. And does anyone else think Myrtle is some kind of crazed man stalker?
On the plus side, I got to see Draco get turned into a ferret and bounced around! That made my day! lol ^^ I also thought the dragon was very cool. Dragons are always cool. It also amused me when Harry and Ron were talking in potions class and Snape kept walking by and hitting them in the heads to make them be quiet. :hits_self
blue elf

Postby Scribs » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:40 pm

I was also sad about the whole Myrtle thing
And does anyone else think Myrtle is some kind of crazed man stalker?
Yeah, that was a little bit disturbing... Too bad that creative energy couldn't have been put to better use.

I was sad that they cut out the part where Harry and Dumbledore(I think, it's been a while since I've read the book) argue over Snape being a Death Eather.
Yeah, that definatly should have been in there especially since [SPOILER=end of book 6]it is so ironic when Snape turns on Dumbledor in book 6[/SPOILER] Oh, well I guess they can put some of that into the 5th movie...

the whole Death Eater trial thing that Harry saw in the pensieve.
I thought that that was a reasonable cut, though Crouch Jr. acted a bit too crazy for my liking.

On the plus side, I got to see Draco get turned into a ferret and bounced around! That made my day!
I was dissapointed with that scene, in the book he bounces Malfoy against the ground, and propells him 20 feet into the air. Such potential for an awsome scene wasted...
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:17 am

1. Overall, I thought the movie was very good. I'll have to see it a second time before I can truly tell for sure how I would rate it, say, on a scale of one to ten. The critics are calling it the best Potter movie yet, and I'd say they could very easily be right (I was a huge fan of Azkaban, so I'm a bit biased :lol: )

2. What I loved about this movie was the interaction amongst the trio. It was spot on and fabulous. All of their acting abilities have been tested and stretched in this movie, but I believe they've all really come out shining afterwards.

3. There were some slight innuendos that you could tell the director/writer indulged in since it was quite obvious from the start that the mere subject matter constituted a PG-13 rating. It was nothing that big, but I was still like 'Oh, please. This is Harry Potter, for heavens sake!" *thinks* Then again, there was a lot of snogging going on the HBP. . .

(For fans who've read the book, you'll notice that the Moaning Myrtle of the movie is much more perverted than the Moaning Myrtle of the books. Bad, Myrtle.)

4. Dumbledore was a disaster. The actor who has stepped into the massive shoes of Richard Harris was stumbling around in them during the film like a little girl in her mother's high heels. At one point, in a completely un-Dumbledore move, he literally grabs Harry, shaking him slightly, and demands information. Dumbledore would never do that. The Dumbledore of this film resembles the Dumbledore one would imagine finding in some illly-written fan fic. Half way through, I started expecting him to turn to Minerva and say, as he placed his hand on his hip, "Do you think I'm good enough? I'm just feel, like, so uncofident in myself lately."

5. Because of the length of the movie, a lot had to be cut. That means that a lot of the characters got short changed, but, honestly, I expected that to happen. The were not going to make the movie 6 hours long--though I don't see why not :lol:-- and something had to go. Overall, they only threw out one element that I think would have been better left in: That being Rita Skeeter being an Animagus. It is mentioned somewhat extensively in Order, but I guess you could short cut that if you wanted.

6. The Yule Ball scene was fabulous. While the weird sister's performance as well as the crowd surfing Fitwick felt a little weird to me, it couldn't even dimly take away from the spectatular performance turned in by Emma Watson. She earned her stars with that scene and especially with her final telling off of "Ronald" at the end of the scene as well as her "There you are, Harry. You boys need to go to bed right now." I know many of you boys won't realize this, but it's a very tragic moment when a woman, in tears, takes off her high heeled shoes. Poor, dear, Hermione.

Those are most of the things that stuck out to me. There was more, of course, but I don't to D.O. you all on Osaka. :lol:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Cap'n Nick » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:47 am

The cuts were definitely more obvious in this one. Having to condense that amount of material into a single film, I don't envy the producers of this movie at all. I of course have my minor quibbles (why was Rita Skeeter even in this?) but overall I think they did a very good job choosing what to keep and what to cut.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:42 pm

Ok, I'm gonna get **** (an adjective that can either refer to a part of the body or a person who is stubborn about miniscule details)

1. No Dursleys... Meh, really though, it didn't bother me.
2. NO WORLD CUP! I feel sorry for the people who modeled the stadium... All that work for such a short, unfulfilling scene... *sigh*
3. I haven't read GOF for a few months, hehe, but wasn't Harry supposed to be seeing through NAGINI'S eyes in the dream? Not the caretaker guy... Once again, a rather minor point (unlike the world cup... I wanted to see the veela, but at the same time I'm glad they didn't... That would be nearly impossible to pull off because people have different ideas of beauty)
4. The syncronized dance thing that Beaubatons and Durmstrang did... The Durmstrang one was sorta cool, but the other one was nauseating. I found the whole introduction at the school to be rather stupid...
5. I haven't read them in a while, but I thought Durmstrang and Beaubatons were Co-Ed schools! Did the books say ANYTHING about them being boys only and girls only respectively?
6. So many small details that lead to larger plot points... The Veela leading to Fleur's herritage for one. On a much larger note, the TOTAL LACK OF THE HOUSE ELVES! No dobby, no winky... What about Phoenix? A house elf is incredibly important in Phoenix, and SPEW, however rediculous, did sorta play a part in conflict over Kreacher, and the events at the end of Order... It was easy to take out Dobby and Winky's roles in this film, but they sorta lead to kreacher, which I would find nearly impossible to remove... A human just wouldn't work... I mean, if they manage to put Kreacher in order, without some of the backstory and explaination, I think the "rushed" feeling, and the feeling of having missed something will be a bit past the normal book adaptation level.
7. Myrtle... *GAG* That scene made me sick... Not that I haven't seen movies with stuff like that in it, but that the story didn't suggest anything like that at all, and they felt the need to add it in... I normally don't care, but that was a definite unnecessary change... GAH!!!!!!
8. The dragon... It was cool until they started flying around the school... For how much relevent plot they cut out, did they really need to milk that scene dry? Come on! It was so short in the book, and they could have left it that way. They could have fit the dursleys in if they had kept that scene as short as it was in the book.
9. Something in me felt guilty for laughing at snape in the pre-Yule-ball scene...
10. While it was rather accurate to the book, the wands fighting each other scene seemed a little like Sailor Moon or a lot of other fantasy anime... I'm sure it didn't start in anime, but it did seem a bit cliché. So, that's a problem I had with the book too...
11. I wish they had shown the magical box of Crouch's a bit better... The idea was that it had different chambers based on the key, but that wasn't shown at all in this movie... It was a completely different idea in the movie, and I think I liked the book's better.
12. The maze was exciting, but the crazy stuff that happened in the maze in the book is replaced by a killer "I'm going to eat you" maze, sans the more interesting parts (like the sphinx).

Now, the stuff I just loved!

1. The pensive! Ooh, it wasn't quite the way they described it in the book, but that wouldn't have been as impressive... That sort of spiderweb or sorta pondscum sorta feather stuff in this looked great!
2. The stadium! Everything about the stadium was great! I just wish they had shown more of it... The animated audience cards were genius.
3. Voldemort! Man, I was NOT disappointed by Voldemort at all. I had a much cheesier idea of voldemort in my head, but this one looked great.
4. Crying over cedric... I didn't cry in Goblet of Fire... I knew it was coming, I had been warned, I didn't really get upset... In this movie, however, I cried when Harry took his body back through the port key... Hearing Daniel Radcliffe cry very convincingly and Cedric's father... I thought that scene was incredible.
5. Much like voldemort, I actually think Madame Maxime turned out better in the movie than in my imagination. It is rare I say that, and it happened twice in this movie (or three times, if you count the pensive, which I don't really, because I imagined it the way it was in the book, but they just changed it and made it look cooler)

Overall, I really liked the movie. Definately the best in the series so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby glitch1501 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:31 am

i liked the movie, better than the rest...though ive never read the books

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:14 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:5. I haven't read them in a while, but I thought Durmstrang and Beaubatons were Co-Ed schools! Did the books say ANYTHING about them being boys only and girls only respectively?

Ah, I had this same minor quabble with the film. You are correct. Both schools were co-ed. (Remember, everyone just assumed that the gorgeous chick who was with Krum was just some Durmstrag girl before they had time to realize it was actually Hermione.) I guess it just made it easier to play up the appeal of the Beauxbaton students to the male Hogwarts students and the Dumstrag students to the feminine Hogwarts students. Overall, it didn't really bother me, but it was one of the things that could have easily been changed to make the movie closer to the book.

6. So many small details that lead to larger plot points... The Veela leading to Fleur's herritage for one. On a much larger note, the TOTAL LACK OF THE HOUSE ELVES! No dobby, no winky... What about Phoenix? A house elf is incredibly important in Phoenix, and SPEW, however rediculous, did sorta play a part in conflict over Kreacher, and the events at the end of Order... It was easy to take out Dobby and Winky's roles in this film, but they sorta lead to kreacher, which I would find nearly impossible to remove... A human just wouldn't work... I mean, if they manage to put Kreacher in order, without some of the backstory and explaination, I think the "rushed" feeling, and the feeling of having missed something will be a bit past the normal book adaptation level.

Yeah, I'm not really sure about what they're going to do with the lack of Winky. I'm sure they'll manage somehow, but it's going to be hard. Furthermore, why didn't they just put the Weasley's in the ministry box? I mean, it didn't make a difference either way, so--- why not?

7. Myrtle... *GAG* That scene made me sick... Not that I haven't seen movies with stuff like that in it, but that the story didn't suggest anything like that at all, and they felt the need to add it in... I normally don't care, but that was a definite unnecessary change... GAH!!!!!!

Well, there definitely was some insinuations of Myrtle's perversions, such as her comment concerning the lack of bubbles left in Cedric's bath by the time he figured out the egg. But I agree. It was played up too much.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:05 pm

[fangirl moment]Oh, yes, and Draco looked WONDERFUL in that black suit at the Quidditch World Cup.

*ahem* [/fangirl moment]

Saw it again last week, still liked it. Still sad about the stuff they cut, but whatever. Though what were they doing with all that Harry/Hermione?? (Sorry, Osaka, but it just isn't canon...)

Oh, yes, and it was great to see that Dan Radcliffe can really cry now. Finally. PoA was quite painful to watch at that part...

And I still think they should have had the Crouch Jr. trial--I found it necessary for his character to plead then, and he didn't.

Must agree over the OOC Dumbledore, too...
Aka-chan

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:33 pm

Aka-chan wrote:Though what were they doing with all that Harry/Hermione?? (Sorry, Osaka, but it just isn't canon...)

*Osaka contemplates torturing Aka-chan with sharp objects but decides that, for the sake of friendship (And good HarryxHermione fan art), she will resist.*

*resists*

You know what it was all about. It was simply HarryxHermione shipper fodder for all those crazy fans. *munches on fodder* Honestly, there was nothing really romantic about it. It would have been easily interpretted that way, granted, but you could also just interpret their actions as a display of strong friendship. I mean, if one of my best guy friends had entered a competition which put him in mortal peril, I think I might also behave in a way that could be construed as being romantically invested. Even if I/she wasn't. *sobs*

Mangafanatic

Return to General Entertainment