The Lion King

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Lion King

Postby Godly Paladin » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:14 pm

I've heard the Disney's Lion King was:

"Disney feature film, which was an unabashed in-your-face direct rip-off of the classic anime movie Jungle Emperor (i.e. Kimba the White Lion) by legendary Japanese anime sensei Osuma Tezuka."

I got this from a fairly reliable source, but I was wondering if anyone else had some info on its validity. Thanks.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Godly Paladin » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:01 pm

Nothing? Comments?
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:24 pm

i HAVE seen a picture of the lion in that manga/anime thing, and it looked REMARKABLY similar to simba...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby plutogrl03 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:09 pm

I believe there is a book that is supposed to reveal the skeletons the Disney company has in it's closet such as the Kimba/Lion King scenario and other things. My friend used it for a report back in high school. I can't remember the title right now but I'll go look for it.

EDIT: Found the title. The book's called Disney: The Mouse Betrayed. Don't know how reliable the book is (it only had a three-star rating on Amazon). If you really want to look into this topic, just go to Yahoo and put "disney and kimba" in the search engine. You'll get tons of results with people who put scenes of Kimba and Lion King next to each other for comparison.
plutogrl03

Postby termyt » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:43 am

News flash - Disney has borrowed heavily for all of it's animated movies. Beauty and the Beast? Snow White? You all know these aren't original stories. The question is how heavily did they borrow from Kimba? There is a striking similarity between Kimba and Simba, but they are both lion cubs. How different should they look?

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Jungle Emperor story line, so I don't know the answer.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Gypsy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:02 am

There are some things that could suggest that The Lion King was inspired by Kimba. Many of the names are similar except for one or two letters, and the very basic of plots is the same - a young lion must learn how to someday be king.

However, as termyt pointed out, Disney uses a lot of traditional/classic stories to base their movies from. Granted, classic fairy tales belong to no one - they are part of global folklore and everyone understands this. Kimba is a very old show - it was on in the US when most of the animators were kids. Maybe the animators were treating their childhood cartoon much like they would a fairy tale : let's take something old and modernize it.

There's a very similar arguement over Disney's Atlantis and Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water. I've seen both and I can see some striking similarities. Did Disney borrow from Nadia? I think you'll find they did. Did Disney rip off Nadia completely. Not at all - there's enough original elements in Atlantis to make it a stand-alone production.

Many sub-genres are all going to resemble each other to a certain extent. Treasure hunter stories, for example. You can bet your sock that there's a traitor in the group. You can bet your other sock that there's going to be traps to go through to get the treasure. It's the same for lion cub and Atlantean princess stories.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Heart of Sword » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:26 pm

http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm

Clickie that link and be surprised. (Safe page. I don't know about the rest of the site but this particular page is fine.)

I'm surprised Disney didn't get the mice sued out of them...
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby plutogrl03 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:11 pm

The things termyt and Gypsy say are very true. But sometimes I wonder when I see those screenshots. Plus, have you ever read about some the things that are said about what's hidden in Disney films? I know you can make something out of nothing, but still...
plutogrl03

Postby Godly Paladin » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:20 pm

Wow. If you trust that link above, then the Lion King is definitely a rip off. I guess I'll have to watch Jungle Emperor to tell for myself.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby The Doctor » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:02 pm

The big secret alot of folks don't talk about is that Michael Eisner, the CEO of Disney, is a conniving and amoral CEO. The Disney of today is a far cry from the Disney Walt founded. Roy Disney himself has called the company's image today as soulless and rapacious. Just look at the new Desperate Housewives show on the Disney owned ABC network. This is a family company? Did I mention Gay Days at Disney World?

Honestly, none of us should be surprised. As for the Disney Mouse Betrayed book, not sure how accurate it is. I have read it myself, not all of it though, but I've also read other manuscripts on current Disney management and there are similarities.

The message? Don't be fooled by the squeaky clean mouse ears. Running the mouse house today are a bunch of money hungry egomaniancs.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby soul alive » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:04 am

it just makes me sad thinking how much Disney has deviated from the original idea... and i have some family friends who accidentally went to Disneyworld during Gay Pride week, thought they were just getting a really good price on tickets...

personally, i think the Atlantis cartoon is taken from the original Stargate movie...
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby oro! » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:04 pm

I remember watching Kimba! It is very similar, but I didnt make the connection. How could Disney get away with this? Oh and, by the way, Lion King is like my favortite animated movie.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby KOBUSHInoTENSHU » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:10 pm

i never saw Kimba. is it good? I thought it was copied off by LionKing but i guess it is reverse! lol
This forum site is a sanctuary..a place of peace..
My user name means 'Warrior of God'

"My child, listen to me and do as I say, and you will have a long, good life. I will teach you wisdom's ways and lead you in straight paths. If you live a life guided by wisdom, you won't limp or stumble as you run. Carry out my instructions; don't forsake them. Guard them, for they will lead you to a fulfilled life."-Proverbs 4: 10,11,12
Image (USAangelchick went out of her way and made this for me! Love ya!) :thumb:
KOBUSHInoTENSHU

Postby Jeikobu » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:43 pm

To be honest, even if Lion King ripped off Jungle Emperor, I still can't help but love the Lion King. I have never seen JE, and from my point of view Lion King looks like the better film for sure. I don't support the fact that Disney ripped off JE, and I'm not a Disney supporter in general, but I love the Lion King. It's my 2nd favorite movie ever, and I plan to post a review soon. I think Lion King is a great film in its own right even though alot of it had already been done.
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby LadyKokoro » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:43 pm

I only got to see a few seconds of it in the 80's/90's as a kid before Dad changed the channel. It was interesting and I always wanted to see it again, but I don't think I can afford the price tag on that DVD set - $170! Ouch!
LadyKokoro

Location: half in reality and the rest of me in my own little world ...

Postby Alice » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:15 pm

Woah, I just saw a video with 4 Kimba episodes from the video store. The plot had holes you could drive a truck through (a LARGE truck), but it was really cute. XDDD (Check out my avatar! XD)

Anyway, yes, it had several things that reminded me of the Lion King, and of course it came first, so The Lion King could have been ripped off from it.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Scribs » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:22 pm

I dont know much about the matter, but I htink it is a bit fishy.
Disny is a machine now, not a family friendly orginization.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Maledicte » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:46 am

I've never seen JE, but in any case I thought the story was a take-off of Shakespeare's Hamlet. Not that I've seen that either.
Maledicte

Postby Scribs » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:00 pm

I've never seen JE, but in any case I thought the story was a take-off of Shakespeare's Hamlet. Not that I've seen that either.

I had never thought of that befor, but there are some good similaritys...

of cource if it was faithful to hamlet, simba would have to kill polonius. Nara (if thats that girl lions name) would have to go insane and die. And Laertes would have to kill Simba... Man! That would so Sw33t!
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Maledicte » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:31 pm

Scribs wrote:I had never thought of that befor, but there are some good similaritys...

of cource if it was faithful to hamlet, simba would have to kill polonius. Nara (if thats that girl lions name) would have to go insane and die. And Laertes would have to kill Simba... Man! That would so Sw33t!

:lol: That would be.

Or perhaps I mixed up Hamlet with Macbeth, but I'm pretty sure it was Hamlet. :eh:
Maledicte

Postby meboeck » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:45 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:Or perhaps I mixed up Hamlet with Macbeth, but I'm pretty sure it was Hamlet. :eh:

Hamlet is the one where the father's ghost comes back, so I'm pretty sure you were thinking of Hamlet.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Godly Paladin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:27 pm

Good grief, you guys were gravedigging! This thing died in December! :lol:
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:58 pm

Old topic eh? Well here's my thought on it:

I TOTALLY looked at Lion in a different way when I found out about Kimba. Pretty depressing really... plus I over-watched Lion King anyway :/ But with Disney's "rip off" ideas with Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, etc. I think of those more as classical stories made by some annonymous person (since there's been sooo many remakes of these classic stories) so it's simply disney making their version on it. With Kimba... well, it's a more modern movie when copyright laws DO exist and everything... then again, I think Kimba was based on some classical lion story anyways, so it could just be Disney making their version of the classic story. Still, to have so much in common with Tezuka's...
Tenshi no Ai

Postby AngelSakura » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:08 pm

o.o
I don't really care. I love The Lion King.
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Return to General Entertainment