The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissiou

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissiou

Postby Zane » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:23 pm

I won't plug this movie as a comedy, because otherwise you'll be disappointed, but it is a movie with some really funny scences.
It about an Ocean Documentary Maker - Steve Zissiou (Bill Murray) whos best friend is eaten by a 'jaguar shark' in their last documentary, and now wants to find that shark, or whatever it is and kill it.

"What would be ze scientific purpose of killing ze shark?"....
"Revenge."

Anyone else seen and liked it?
Zane

Postby shooraijin » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:17 pm

I'm antsy. I didn't like The Royal Tenenbaums at all, and this is from the same guy. Did you see that one? How does this compare?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Zane » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:59 pm

Yeah, I thought some would bring that up.
Although they both are from the same director, Wes Anderson, The Royal Tenenbaums is completly different. Its dark, edgy, gothic and wierd basically.
The only comparison is that the characters do have similar kind of monologues, and the relationships build between the characters is similar. Both movies are character-driven. Other then that Life Aquatic is much more humourous, bright and not at all dark (I'm thinking of the suicide scence).
The only funny thing in the Tenebaums was when they're walking along the archealogical dig or something and Morgan falls down in a hole but the shot keeps going.

Life Aquatic has much more of the same. And the quotes are great. Give it a shot shooraijin. It is art-housey, but I found it enjoyable, somewhat surreal, but not as bad as L'Age D'or.
Zane

Postby shooraijin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:21 am

Yeah, my main complaint with Tenenbaums was that Wes made a lot of jokes he thought was funny, and it felt like I was being berated by the film for not getting them, if that makes any sense :sweat:

If this is an improvement, though, I might check it out at Blockbuster. I do like Bill Murray (and I thought he was wonderful in Lost In Translation).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby The Last Bard » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:58 pm

Yeah, it was a pretty good movie. Not the best comedy, but one of the better one's on the R rated side I thought.

"That's four inches, do you want to pay for the extra gas?"

Haha, that was a funny part. (Although it's said a little differently then that, but it is close enough)
The Last Bard

Return to General Entertainment