Do Trailers with spoilers stop you from seeing a movie?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Do Trailers with spoilers stop you from seeing a movie?

Postby GhostPoet » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:40 am

There are a few movies I actually didn't go see due to the trailer ruining the plot. I remember a movie with Gene Hackman in it...about some court case that turned into a chase-thriller...but the trailer ended up showing ALL the major plot points and their secrets...so I passed.

Now the Island is out..I was going to see it until I saw the trailer...now I know the big secret and so what's the point of seeing it?

My question to you is...do trailers that spoil the major plot points discourage you from seeing the film?
GhostPoet

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:50 pm

No, I'll watch a movie even if I know what the plot is but it angers me a whole lot because I see it as incredibly sloppy.

A good movie's plot must be inessential - dialogue, cinematography and such is more interesting than in what order things happen. But its fun to get surprised by the way plots twist.
bigsleepj

Postby BigZam » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:54 pm

it impossible to spoil a movie for me. you could tell me everything about a movie and i'll still go see it and enjoy it. thats what happened with me and LOTR and i still enjoyed it.
gone for good...
BigZam

Postby Stephen » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:55 pm

It does anger me when a trailor shows too much. If your like me, and watch the trailor like 20 times in anticipation of the film...it does hurt the overall film enjoyment. IE, in the trailor they show someone fall...then in the movie there hanging on the edge of somthing....you know whats gonna happen. But you also gotta figure that trailors are the way film makers get your attention. So they want to hit you with the most exciting stuff they can.
Stephen

Postby Fsiphskilm » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:41 pm

[size=100][
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby ThaKladd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:53 pm

I have seen a trailer and said "this trailer say too much" but when I see the movie it did not do it after all. And if it did(because sometimes it does), it did not spoil the movie. But what disturbs me is when a trailer mislead you a bit from what the movie is about... :) I could have done it better sometimes myself :sweat:
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby Orange Kitten » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:21 pm

They do annoy me, but theres the old saying, it's not the ending that counts, but the journey that gets you there.

But in the case of the Island, so the plot was spoiled...its a Michael Bay movie...I'm sure there's not much PLOT to be spoiled. His movies, though entertaining, are always action packed with a mediocre story and character development.

I like the trailers that make a movie look completely different from what it is. Take Stealth for example, I've seen 3 different trailers that each appeal to a different audience (or at least thats what they were going for). One of the trailers didn't even MENTION the 'gone-bad-stealth-plane', which is the main point of the entire movie.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Retten » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:59 pm

It really doesn’t bother me >.> I don’t know why either but if I want to go see a movie I will go regardless of seeing the trailer or not. More often than not though the biggest surprise is not shown in the trailer. :thumb:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Godly Paladin » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:46 am

I thought the spoiler in the Two Towers trailers [SPOILER]about Gandalf[/SPOILER] was unreal. I'd read the books years before, but still!!! That was supposed to be one of the big shockers, and they just gave it away!
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:20 pm

Trailers often give movie spoilers. They are designed to get you to the movie and the way they think this will work is if they give you the best bits of the movie and spoil everything for you. Ironic.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Godly Paladin » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:59 pm

What I hate is when the trailer for a so-called action movie has all the best action and the rest is just boring.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Kaligraphic » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:24 pm

Trailers ought to be more circumspect, I'd agree. I liked the idea of something like the ads for the American Godzilla movie - they didn't actually show much at all of the lizard, just enough to convey something of its scale. This is good for movies, as well - it builds suspense to reveal things slowly.

That said, trailers don't really stop me from seeing a movie - usually it's the [spoiler=what keeps Kali from seeing a movie]armed guards who won't let me in.[/spoiler]
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Godly Paladin » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:30 pm

Bwahaaheeheeho.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Return to General Entertainment