War Of The Worlds

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:15 am

Sesshoumaru wrote:it wasn't changed, the aliens either use huyman blood as a fuel source or drink it themselves.

I'm not saying, Sesshoumaru, that the movie couldn't have made sense. I'm saying that writting was so bad that we only have one line explaining why aliens are attacking earth for 90% of the film. While Freeman tells us that they convetted our planet, what I'm saying is that the writters never provide evidence of this. All we see is blood sucking. And I still say that it makes no sense why they only suck blood for half the film and vaporize people for the other half. I do understand WHY they did it. I'm just saying that the writing was a few notches below poor, IMHO, and gave us no substantial reason behind various actions.

[spoiler]
Sessy wrote:The aliens regarded our race as insignificant and useless. Then made plan to not just invade but destroy us. They were going to kill the human race off for whatever reasons. Maybe use our planet for their race and their further advancement who knows the SPECIFIC reason they wanted to kill us off. But they just wanted us eliminated.
[/spoiler]

If just eliminating us was the plan, why the crud did they plan to fuel their ships with us? Doesn't sound like a very efficient war plan. Furthermore, the aliens were suppose to have planted these ships billions of year ago. . . before we evolved. Which still bring me to the question of how they planned to fuel their ships with us if we weren't even here when they planted their ships.

Furthermore, if the aliens are so advanced [spoiler]why are their ships so lame that two grenades can torch the whole thing. You're probably going to say "Because they had a force field, they had no need to make the internal portion of the ship very sturdy." If they're so freakin' smart, they would have relized to plan for every possibilty. . . including their force fields being down. I mean, if they'd had billions of years to think about it and they're so darn smart, they would have had plenty of time to create a ship that was indestructible with or without a force field.[/spoiler]

Sorry. It's just that I'm a writter, and, for that reason, lame writing always annoys me. . .
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Sesshoumaru » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:00 am

Please don't call me Sesshy.

I'm not saying, Sesshoumaru, that the movie couldn't have made sense. I'm saying that writting was so bad that we only have one line explaining why aliens are attacking earth for 90% of the film. While Freeman tells us that they convetted our planet, what I'm saying is that the writters never provide evidence of this. All we see is blood sucking. And I still say that it makes no sense why they only suck blood for half the film and vaporize people for the other half. I do understand WHY they did it. I'm just saying that the writing was a few notches below poor, IMHO, and gave us no substantial reason behind various actions.
It makes sense to me, that you shouldn't try to make sense out of everything. It adds another twist to the movie, and gets people thinking "Wow, that was a great plot twister" :thumb:

If just eliminating us was the plan, why the crud did they plan to fuel their ships with us? Doesn't sound like a very efficient war plan. Furthermore, the aliens were suppose to have planted these ships billions of year ago. . . before we evolved. Which still bring me to the question of how they planned to fuel their ships with us if we weren't even here when they planted their ships.
I never said they DID fuel their Tripods with human blood. We don't waht they used the blood for. It could be the source of that strange red weed they grew all over the place.

why are their ships so lame that two grenades can torch the whole thing. You're probably going to say "Because they had a force field, they had no need to make the internal portion of the ship very sturdy." If they're so freakin' smart, they would have relized to plan for every possibilty. . . including their force fields being down. I mean, if they'd had billions of years to think about it and they're so darn smart, they would have had plenty of time to create a ship that was indestructible with or without a force field.
My answer, is that the alien although mnay times more advanced. Did not LITERALLY anticipate a mere human would somehow plant grenades in the Tripods mainframe.
Sesshoumaru

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:30 am

Are you all really debating this work of fiction that is entirely open to interpretation and was made with poetic liscence to begin with?

Anyway, I love suspense and drama, and loud noise special effects in the theatre (let's hear it for base!). The only problem was, at about the last 45 min., I had to use the bathroom but I couldn't bring myself to leave the movie, so I had to wait. I couldn't risk losing myself in the movie anymore and I was watching the screen thinking, "Don't do anything jumpy scary! Don't do anything jumpy scary!" XD
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:36 pm

Haven't seen it yet plan to tonight or tomorrow. But I find it much more frightening if the reason is a mystery instead of in typical stereotypical alien leader style, get on a podium, say your diabolical plans for the earth, then start vaporizing everything.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:49 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:I'm not saying, Sesshoumaru, that the movie couldn't have made sense. I'm saying that writting was so bad that we only have one line explaining why aliens are attacking earth for 90% of the film. While Freeman tells us that they convetted our planet, what I'm saying is that the writters never provide evidence of this. All we see is blood sucking. And I still say that it makes no sense why they only suck blood for half the film and vaporize people for the other half. I do understand WHY they did it. I'm just saying that the writing was a few notches below poor, IMHO, and gave us no substantial reason behind various actions.

That's where I find the genius in the writing...it DOESN'T tell us about the aliens, thier motives, or where they came from...they they [spoiler]suck blood and vaprotize humans save fo rthe fact to enjoy killing them[/spoiler]. It leaves the watched up to decide. It's makes the movie much more memorable then going straight foward and dumping information of the aliens. That's why critics loved this movie....it's not like any other movie, this main character isn't the president or a secret agent carrying huge explosive guns...it's a every day working man in New Jersey who knows next to nothing about the invasion save to run an dprotect his kids.

And as I and others have said before, Speilberg designed this movie to be through the eyes of Ray (Tom Cruise). I doubt Ray would have figured out why the aliens were here and everything about them other then what he has seen...killing people and [spoiler]using blood to cover the world[/spoiler] As I think more about this movie and reflect...the Spielberg-ness comes out even more and I love it each and everytime. This movie, on the skin of it, is sub par but when you actually get into the deep meaning of this movie...the emotional effect is staggering. The love for one's child, the feeling of hopelessness, the feeling of trying to escape something but unable to...this movie mixes human emotions and uses them effectively in a apaocolyptic way. Truly genius.
Hitokiri

Postby Yumie » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:34 pm

"While mankind busied himself with his various concerns, our planet was being watched by intelligences far greater than ours. Silently they watched and waited. Studying our every behavior. Soon these intellects viewed our planet with envious eyes and silently they made their plans against us.

Then Ray's chat with the old man: "They've been planning this for a million years, these were only the first they'll keep coming. This is not a war between the two races, this is an extermination"

OK, I think you're missing the point here. The point is, they continually say that the aliens planted their machines here long before humans were even here. Alright, if that's the case, why the heck did they plant them? In the movie they make it sound like they did it to eliminate humans when the right time came, but if we weren't even here, then I guess that must not be the reason. So if that's not the reason, what is?

You're kidding right? it wasn't changed, the aliens either use huyman blood as a fuel source or drink it themselves. Not rocket science. OR it is VERY possible they'll use the blood to further study us for whatever reason. This is a race of intelligent beings God knows how many times more advanced than ours.

OK, if they used our blood as a fuel source or to drink it, then why the heck did they spray it everywhere? Never once do you actually see them use it for any other purpose. The only time when they make a direct revelation to us about the blood is when they show the aliens knock the guy down, then suck up his blood and spray it. If we're supposed to be able to infer that they have some other use for it, why not just go ahead and show us to cut down on some of the confusion? Why leave it all to debate?

Beyon that, here's my opinion of the movie: On a scale of one to ten, I give it a negative five. Here's the reason why. Aside from the fact that the plot was fill of holes and the ending was entirely anti-climatic (they build it up the whole time and then drop the bomb about bacteria and expect us to buy that?), I was also in a theater where the first four rows were filled with idiotic high-schoolers who laughed at every serious point. Kind of kills the mood, ne? You could tell it was going to be bad when during the previews a commercial with some captioning came on and one idiot read it out loud, and I mean LOUD, while the rest of his friends laughed like this was remotely clever. Of course by the end I figured out the one reading must have been reading it for the sake of the friends he was with who could, quite probably, not read. It got worse during the movie. For instance. . .
[spoiler]When the little girl goes off to use the bathroom and all the dead bodies start floating past in the river, they all burst out laughing and were like, "Der her, dead bodies!" Urg, talk about immature![/spoiler] And then, at a quiet part, I can't remember what point in the movie it was, they blew an airhorn. I was ready to kick their heads (I was that close behind them.) At the part where [spoiler] they get to Boston and really it's bassically untouched, suprisingly one of the juevenille delinquents in front of me noticed the fact that it was so unharmed and commented, "Man, I'm moving to Boston!" Rather loudly. I was inclined to lean forward and say, "Yes, please go. Now. We won't miss you."[/spoiler] So I'll never know if I would have been able to really enjoy it now, thanks to the idiocy of the below average American teenager.
Yumie

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:06 pm

Yumie wrote:OK, I think you're missing the point here. The point is, they continually say that the aliens planted their machines here long before humans were even here. Alright, if that's the case, why the heck did they plant them? In the movie they make it sound like they did it to eliminate humans when the right time came, but if we weren't even here, then I guess that must not be the reason. So if that's not the reason, what is?

About Oglyve (sp?) saying that they have been here for millions of years...planting the ships under the earth. Is this truth or is this just a theory? Where does he recieve this information in 1) a short period of time and 2) when hardly anything is known of these aliens. My opinion is that the guy just made a educated guess that they were hidden. It has to many plot holes to be taken literally. If that was so then the techonology from when they buried the ships to now would be to extreme, even for a alien race unless they etchnology didn't evolve. Could it possibly be a mix up in the writing process? I think not. maybe I give Speilberg to much credit but I think that quote suggests a possible theory but not exactly fact.

OK, if they used our blood as a fuel source or to drink it, then why the heck did they spray it everywhere? Never once do you actually see them use it for any other purpose. The only time when they make a direct revelation to us about the blood is when they show the aliens knock the guy down, then suck up his blood and spray it. If we're supposed to be able to infer that they have some other use for it, why not just go ahead and show us to cut down on some of the confusion? Why leave it all to debate?

Do we know for sure they use it for fuel? Does it say they do? My theory is the aliens are sick freaks and enjoy cutting up humans...in the prolouge where Morgan Freeman says "Soon these intellects viewed our planet with envious eyes and silently they made their plans against us." It could be possible that they used blood to breathe. maybe thier planet ha snatural blood...who knows. And that's why I love this movie. It makes you question the basis of the movie where as alot of movies don't. They present the facts and allow now thought of possible theories or ideas where as this movie does. I can think of easily 20 questions concerning the movie...I've been thinking bout it since Saturday when I saw it.

If we're supposed to be able to infer that they have some other use for it, why not just go ahead and show us to cut down on some of the confusion? Why leave it all to debate?

" wrote:And as I and others have said before, Speilberg designed this movie to be through the eyes of Ray (Tom Cruise).

]Beyon that, here's my opinion of the movie: On a scale of one to ten, I give it a negative five. Here's the reason why. Aside from the fact that the plot was fill of holes and the ending was entirely anti-climatic (they build it up the whole time and then drop the bomb about bacteria and expect us to buy that?),

I do agree with the ending...I disliked it. I personally would of seen thier house destroyed, them hurt, but still alive. It was to happy of an ending for such a dark movie.

I was also in a theater where the first four rows were filled with idiotic high-schoolers who laughed at every serious point. Kind of kills the mood, ne?
I forgive yah :lol: The same was with Signs. i saw it for the first time and hated cause some kids were being stupid. My friend almost punched them...sh ebasically went up to them and pushed them down (as they were making animals signs next to the movie screen). She then scoled them and they went back to thier seats an dstarted throwing popcorn at us....so she gave them a death glare.

I'm seeing it again with my parents this thurs....I am so pysched
Hitokiri

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:31 pm

*Applauds Hitokiri* w00t! Glad someone else liked this movie...lol...I thought it was a really fun and entertaining film, and I'd gladly see it again. Guys, you've got to remember, sometimes movies are simply made to be enjoyed, not picked over and debated about. Just enjoy it for what it is. If you try to pick it apart, it takes away everything that was good about it. Anyways, that's my two cents...XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Yumie » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:06 pm

*Applauds Hitokiri* w00t! Glad someone else liked this movie...lol...I thought it was a really fun and entertaining film, and I'd gladly see it again. Guys, you've got to remember, sometimes movies are simply made to be enjoyed, not picked over and debated about. Just enjoy it for what it is. If you try to pick it apart, it takes away everything that was good about it. Anyways, that's my two cents...XD

Yeah, I understand this point of veiw, but I disagree with it. I think that unless a movie is specifically designed to be stupid, then you should be able to pick at it, and it should still be able to stand on its own. Like, Hitokiri, you keep saying that it's the "brilliance" or the "genius" that we would come away without all the answers, but I look at that more as lack of forsight and poor writing. Anybody can make a movie that you'll never be sure you understand, that doesn't take effort-- anybody can do it. What shows true talent is when you can write and intricate plot without any loop-holes. I would rather know that I understand a movie and come away feeling educated than to feel like I had a bunch of facts dumped on me and I have to sit there and peice it together, and maybe never even get it right.
Yumie

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:28 pm

-_- I guess when it all comes down to it, it's a matter of opinion and how you look at things (I'm reffering to whether the glass is half full or half empty here..lol...). Anyways, you're entitled to your opinion. ^_^
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Rita » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:30 pm

I liked the movie overall, even though there were major plot holes. The one that annoyed me most though, and it was hardly major, was the fact that after the lightening storm, when the magnetic fileds had been removed so nothing worked, someone was using their video camera. Video cameras need magnetism to work just like most other elctrical devices. :P
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment...Instead it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-5
Rita

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:31 am

I understand Yumie and for some movies, that's the case for me. I wanted to see more information in the movie Signs and that's why, as much I like it, it get's me annoyed somethimes.

However, a movie like The Village that keeps you in the dark until the very end...I loved it even they told you everything near the end.

With War of the Worlds...it opens a world of sorts of questions and theories concerning the movie that makes this, in my opinion (and every movie critic I have thus far) 5 out of 5 stars.

Oh and with Rita's psot...I found the annoying too :lol: I loved the movie but there were some things that irked me. The camera scene being one of them, [spoiler]when Ray, Robbie, and Rachel a (hee hee R, R & R) are hiding in the basement and something explodes. If that was a airplane...would the other part of th ebasement explode too? Or at least be engulfed in flames? Also it seemed awfully convient that thier car was still there AND working AND able to drive AND a clearing amoung the rubble to drive in.[/spoiler], the entire basement sequence (just way to long of hiding), and the ending...way to happy :shady:

However some scenes in WotW will always be in my head...like [spoiler]when the crowd first sees the space ship after emerges, the Tripods walking over the mountain as Rachel turns to see them at the ferry, when Ray, Robbie, and Rachel watch on a hill (after escaping th eferry scene) to see people running from them far away and then seeing the ferry beging destroyed, when Ray sees the entire valley covered in blood, and then when Ray gets enveloped in light...those scenes drive the feeling of the movie[/spoiler].
Hitokiri

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:34 pm

Woot! Off to see it again in...about 30 minutes! ^_^

Radical Dreamer

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:37 pm

Yumie wrote:Beyon that, here's my opinion of the movie: On a scale of one to ten, I give it a negative five. Here's the reason why. Aside from the fact that the plot was fill of holes and the ending was entirely anti-climatic (they build it up the whole time and then drop the bomb about bacteria and expect us to buy that?.

Apparently you've never seen the original War of the Worlds.

And I thought it was a perfectly logical ending.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:45 pm

To each his own. I rest my compaints. :P
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby KA1-EG13 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:52 pm

I think the aliens were using the blood as fertalizer to change the earths habitat. the blood itself took on a rootsih kind of form like it was turned into a plant.
KA1-EG13

Location: I am a Texan that lives in East Texas, yet I don't feel Texish at all. Wierd.

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:10 pm

...When it all comes down to it...it's the soundtrack.

This sountrack pwns!
Hitokiri

Postby Maledicte » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:58 am

I found the movie rather...distressing. Normally movies like this I would find depressing, but in this one...a friend and I concurred that it was horrific. I suppose it disturbed me...thank you so much, Mr. Spielberg, in 1975 you made us scared of the water, and NOW we're scared of the SKY ITSELF!! hahaha

However, it was a good movie in its technical aspects--sound effects, CGI, acting, etc. (Although Dakota Fanning annoyed me to pieces.) I liked how the lurching and movement of the tripods almost became a musical theme in its own. And there were some funny parts.

The ending--too happy. As in trying to make up for the horrors they made me sit through.
[SPOILER] Robbie should have stayed dead. And how on earth did Ray's wife and family members just HAPPEN to stay in the same house, intact, even though the rest of the neighborhood is trashed? And wouldn't they have run away before then? [/SPOILER]
Also, the hiding-from-the-alien sequence was too long. No need to double it.
[SPOILER] and the gung-ho "I'm going to fight the aliens myself with only a rifle" Schwarzennegar wannabe psycho character was SO cliche'.[/SPOILER]

The BEST part of my evening, though, was when we saw the cutest, smallest, white puppy outside the theater. it was so cute AAAAAAAAAAAAAHH! so tiny! could fit in my palm! that made us completely forget the movie. haha.
Maledicte

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:43 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:The BEST part of my evening, though, was when we saw the cutest, smallest, white puppy outside the theater. it was so cute AAAAAAAAAAAAAHH! so tiny! could fit in my palm! that made us completely forget the movie. haha.

Then all of a sudden...a super-heated frizzle beam scorched through the air and turned the cute puppy into space dust. SirThinks2Much turned around and gave the monstrous alien Tripod such a death glare that the tripod ran away home crying.

Sorry....had to do that (don't lynch me!). I liek cute puppies as well.
Hitokiri

Postby Maledicte » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:37 pm

funny...I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw that too-darn-cute dog.

And the tripod would not have run away. It would have begged for mercy, and I would tear its insides and it would become my zombie slave. Then I would have zombified the cute doggy so that I would have a vampiric puppy and a zombie alien biological organic machine to do my dirty work forevah. mua ha ha ha ha.
Maledicte

My Review: War of the Worlds

Postby GhostPoet » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:39 am

Just a bit of background on me...I am a major movie fanatic. I love films. MY favorite is by far sci-fi..form the classics to the recent hits. As far as I'm concerned the original War of the Worlds was one of the greatest movies of that era.

I was very hyped to see this movie for a couple years...I had a fear it wouldn't live up to my hype...I was so wrong. This is by far one of the greatest sci-fi films of this era. Great acting, incredibly intense action and a great classic story. I'm glad they didn't take the easy route by making it all about the war...and instead more about one family on their journey of survival.

It's just a fantastic movie all around...I can't think of a single scene I DIDN'T like. It really is one of the greatest sci-fi films of the era.
GhostPoet

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:08 pm

I just merged this with the other WOTW thread. Next time, rather then make your own...post your opinion in the existing thread.
Stephen

Postby Sonic_13 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:01 pm

to be honest, i really really didnt like this movie. it was rather boring, and the characters werent likable at all. The dad was a jerk, the kid was rude (stealing his car and driving off??), and the little girl was REALLY annoying. she just sits there and screams. grah.

the effects i didnt think were spectacular. I expected a lot better v_v
Not trying to start a new suhssuhsuhsss sensation
I'm just talking 'bout my jejejeh generation!
Sonic_13

Postby bbboy21 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:52 pm

I was quite dissappointed...dang I should of thought long ago when they said Tom Cruise woudl be the main character , I should of reilized there were goona focus the story on one character....serously the movie would of been the blockbuster of the year if there were more well done focus plots.
:hug: You gotta love it ^.^
bbboy21

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:57 pm

I saw this a few days ago with my friends and... wow... I've never read the book (and probably never will... alien invasion books don't interest me), but it was GREAT! The acting was good, especially the little girl. There was this sort of primal horror throughout the entire movie, like the mob after the car and the reactions of people in danger... stuff people do when their lives are at stake. And I loved how hopeless it was, like... thing after thing just kept happening and there was nothing they could do. And then the end... the end was just great *grin*

I'm actually glad they just stuck with one family instead of showing different focus points. It showed the horror of the situation instead of the war as a whole. And it showed the situation through the eyes of a group of people that weren't perfect, weren't ideal, and didn't use the whole "love will get us through-no trouble" thing. It was a gritty, realistic portrayal, and I loved it.

My only qualm with the movie...
[spoiler="click here"]His son was still alive and the mom was in an untouched house? My friend suggested that the robots were planted in major cities and spread out from there and hadn't gotten to there yet. But if they had been planted "millions" of years before, then the aliens wouldn't know where the major cities were. IMO, I think it would have been better if the son had really died... though it would suck to tell the mom that.[/spoiler]
Kawaiikneko

Postby Maledicte » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:38 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:My only qualm with the movie...
[spoiler="click here"]His son was still alive and the mom was in an untouched house? My friend suggested that the robots were planted in major cities and spread out from there and hadn't gotten to there yet. But if they had been planted "millions" of years before, then the aliens wouldn't know where the major cities were. IMO, I think it would have been better if the son had really died... though it would suck to tell the mom that.[/spoiler]

I had more than just that qualm with the movie, but that was one of the biggest.

[SPOILER] I so thought he was dead. He was dead! that just sort of cheapened the whole thing. Oh, and how could the aliens have missed Boston? Why was EVERYONE going to Boston, anyway? argh.[/SPOILER]
Maledicte

Postby Locke » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:09 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:I had more than just that qualm with the movie, but that was one of the biggest.

[SPOILER] I so thought he was dead. He was dead! that just sort of cheapened the whole thing. Oh, and how could the aliens have missed Boston? Why was EVERYONE going to Boston, anyway? argh.[/SPOILER]

Why Boston? The turning of the leaves.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:15 pm

Hm? Did I call this thread "My Review: War of the Worlds"? I have no memory of calling it that...O.o Weird...Anyways, continue....>.>

Radical Dreamer

Postby Stephen » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:39 pm

No...when I merged the threads it took the other name. Hold on a second...*waves wand*
Stephen

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:27 am

The book is better. More depth. The movie, aliens attack and we fight back, but the microscopic animals are what killed them in the end. Insert people screaming, lightning storms and death and a ton of special effects, and you got yourself a movie. At least it wasn't called "H. G. Wells' War of the Worlds." Now I'm not saying I didn't like the movie.
Shao Feng-Li

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment