Highschool Basketball

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Highschool Basketball

Postby haru_bay_nay » Sat May 21, 2005 8:46 pm

So...I'm graduating from middle school this year, and we are now being coached by the highschool basketball coach. 9th graders are coached by the same guy as 10th-12th graders, but are in separate leagues. We still have to practice with the older girls, though.

Maybe I just worry too much, but this is really nervewracking. Our new coach is known for being, let's say, "a little less than nice", and so all of us soon-to-be freshmen are trying even harder than usual to gain his approval. I always seem to do worse there than when I'm just playing pick-up games with my friends, and the assistant coach is constantly nagging at all our tiny mistakes. I was a starter in 8th, but I'm beginning to think that I won't be next year, even though I'm practicing double on my own and trying my best. The upper-classmen are nice and helpful, but it's still difficult.

Has anyone else ever had this sort of problem?
"A chicken is a bird that is harvested for food." -Matthew Bench, an autistic kid in my school who gives the greatest advice. XD

"I love lamp." -Brick Tamland (Anchorman)

Otaku10 wrote:I won't release your hand even if I sweat, forever.
haru_bay_nay

Postby Ashley » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:16 pm

Bye bye trollie. Don't mind me.
Ashley

Postby agasfas » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:30 am

I know how ya feel, I do much better in pickup games too. I think it's because there isn't that pressure of the coach watching every mistake.

I was a starter in 8th, but I'm beginning to think that I won't be next year, even though I'm practicing double on my own and trying my best. The upper-classmen are nice and helpful, but it's still difficult.

You gotta also remember that there are many middle school graduates going to your same highschool and that there are also ton of returning high school players. So of course it's going to be a bit more difficult. Realistically, for a entering freshmen to come in and dominate up and down the court w/ really experience highschool players (JV or varsity) is usually unlikely because of the lack of experience (and age). But that doesn't mean it's impossible to make the team or get a good position.

How are the teams split up- varsity, JV and freshmen? Anyways, regardless of what happens, just have faith in yourself and your ability. If things don't work out the first year, continue to push forward. That's the only way we become better in what we like to do. Plus, being able to play with more mature players provides a great learning experience. I wish you the best of luck this next year. No matter what happens, never get discouraged.

But yeah, I can totally relate to what you are saying.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby haru_bay_nay » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:27 pm

In the off-season, our teams are split into Varsity and JV, but during the season, there's just high-school and freshmen teams. We're finally done with all of our summer camps and games(Praise God! @.@) but we still have to come to the gym for workouts a lot. I'm not near as nervous about playing in front of the coach now, but it's still kinda scary sometimes. ^_^;

Thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot. I guess I just have to keep working hard, even when things look bad.
"A chicken is a bird that is harvested for food." -Matthew Bench, an autistic kid in my school who gives the greatest advice. XD

"I love lamp." -Brick Tamland (Anchorman)

Otaku10 wrote:I won't release your hand even if I sweat, forever.
haru_bay_nay

Postby Kisa » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:51 am

I wouldn't worry about it too much. HS coaches tend to be harder on the younger players cause they want to mold them to their style. They don't see often that being from a different style you have alot to offer as well. Just have fun and do you best and you should not be dissapointed. You can't please everyone. Just remember its just a game, and alot of coaches have forgotten that. I had some coaches like this and I just did what I could and had much more fun. I know its discouraging, but keep playing those pick up games and listening to the older players who want to help and you'll see it'll get better ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Return to General Entertainment