Who here is a martial arts buff?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Who here is a martial arts buff?

Postby girlninja » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:59 am

hehe was curious i'm a big martial arts buff so anyone who wants to discuss it i'm all ears ^^

all ranks aside i'll tell you what i study under but they are all certified ranks incase people wonder for credibility ^^

i study under Alea's Shaolin Kempo karate bujiie art system which includes SHaolin Kempo, 7-animal-kung-fu, japanese jiu-jitsu
i also study Gracie's Brazilian Jiu-jitsu under an instructor from Carlos Caique, i study Full COntact Muay thai kick boxing, Chen style Tai-Chi and study the bo staff and kama's for weapons ^^

that's it for now let me know what you study or if you have any martial art comments/questions etc ^^ always interested ^^
girlninja

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:09 am

i used to do tae kwon do, but i dont have time anymore
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mizumi-Kun » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:12 am

Um, I know some Savate and lower level ju-jitsu, if that counts...
Mizumi-Kun

Postby girlninja » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:19 am

it all counts ^^ i'm just interested in discussing it...favorite styles, martial art actors, instructors, weapons anything ^^ i love it so anything you wanna discuss on it i'm interested ^^
"If not now then when? If not me then who?-anonymous

and of course now i must instill the Dancing BANANA'S!
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

WHY AM I CRYING IN FRENCH-Vash the Stampede

ORORORORORO!-Himura Kenshin

:jump: :lol: :thumb:

"It is not weak to value human life!"-Raiden, Mortal Combat II

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

*ADOPTED BY* ..yea i know scary I got a adopted ~_^

Nami
girlninja

Postby girlninja » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:20 am

Savate i'm not familiar with that style can you elaborate on it please? ^^
and what type of jiu jitsu ?

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Nami
girlninja

Postby Mizumi-Kun » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:31 am

girlninja wrote:Savate i'm not familiar with that style can you elaborate on it please? ^^
and what type of jiu jitsu ?

Savate is French kickboxing. I don't know the style I know.
Mizumi-Kun

Postby girlninja » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:34 am

hmm french kickboxing ..is that different then muay thai rules?
*kicks to the legs, body and head, puches to same areas and knees to the body and head no gouging or knee hits or groin hits

Nami
girlninja

Postby agasfas » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:50 am

I've studied/learned a bit from:
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
Boxing and Kickboxing
Jeet Kune do (bruce lee's sytle)
Wrestling in High School, goes well w/ jiu-jitsu
and when I was about 7yrs I studied tae kwon do... my least favorite. Too much emphasis on tournments and kicking. hint: Kicks don't work on everyone. Sure you land one, get points... well if you fall after everytime you do a kick (trying to land it) in real life, your in a bad position. Sorry personal opinion.

It's always good to know a variety of fighting styles and stances. Means your very versatile. Not everyone fights the same way so know a few styles is always good. My favorite tends to be the grappling and kick boxing. You have to know how to fight not only on your feet but on the ground. More then 80% of fights end on the gound... so i've heard. Anways Jeet Kune Do is also quite nice. Bruce Lee analyzed every kind of fighting style and took what worked and tossed away what didn't work: stances, punches, kicks... you name it. Very good source I think.
Though no matter how experienced one thinks he/she is, I firmly believe that it quality of what you know and not quantity... it does you no good if you can't use the move correctly.

Also, shouldn't this be in the sports forum?
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby desperado » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:56 am

been in tae kwondo for 7 years now. i have not been going as much as i should lately due to the amount of homework and how hard my classes are. after classes switch up though i will be back at it
on a side note i agree you really need to be versatile. thats why im looking for a good akido or ninjutsu school around here. though it is annoying when one of your peers beleives that grappling is the only way to go. oh well i beleive firmly that a person goes to what there good at, if there good on there feet they will do there best to stay on there feet. if they like the ground they will try there best to go to the ground. all i know though is i want to find a good akido or ninjutsu school to take it from (now that im a blackbelt in taekwondo)
desperado

Postby Sesshoumaru » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:57 am

Taekwondo and I'm a blue belt.Been taking it for about a year now and not to brag but I'm nice ^^
Sesshoumaru

Postby Uriah » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:52 pm

I have a friend teaching my basic choy le fut, but I'm not too great at it.
Uriah

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:02 pm

I took Tae Kwon Do for four years, and I really liked it (I'm planning to take it up again soon) I'm not very good, though; I'm only a blue belt ._.
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby oro! » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:14 pm

What is choy le fut?
I plan to take martial arts in a few months...maybe. I am recovering from an injury to my knee, so my parents said it's better safe than sorry.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby girlninja » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:30 pm

i was wondering for the same for the question about the choy le fut ^^ sounds like a french style of fighting

i'm familiar with the jiu jitsu which i love with the karate i am about to go for black in the karate and about to go blue for the jiu jitsu and i've only been in one full contact fight so far tho in about four months i plan in goin for another.

i agree about being versatile which is why i study so many different syles...they can all either add or teach you something that's why i'm white belt forever ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby Ingemar » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:51 pm

Choy Lay Fut is the arch nemesis of Wing Chun Kuen.

It's some kind of Kung Fu. That's all I know. I haven't practiced it, but I have practiced its arch nemesis.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby girlninja » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:08 pm

heh that doesn't help me lol sweat drop* lol what makes them arch nemesis fighitng style or instructor??
and if it's fighting style i'm familiar with wing chun a little bit but i would like a background and for the choy le fut what is it's fighting style??

also does anyone do some weapons training? ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby oro! » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:12 pm

Only if you count copying anime characters' moves :lol: I also have tried to copy some things in a little training book...but no success. OH well.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby youngWilliam » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:31 pm

I'm a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do, I'm in training to be an instructor, and my school is part of the ATA. I've also copied a few moves from the charactors in Rurouni Kenshin. what organizations are your guy's(sp) schools part of?
Knights of the World: To Protect, To Serve, To Jesus Christ.
elifeimpact.com
youngWilliam

Postby Jasdero » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:50 pm

Martial Arts Buff? o.o;;; I dunno....

I did Tae Kwon Doe and Karate for about.. hmm.. 5 years?
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby desperado » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:56 pm

i start going back to tae kwondo this coming week. looking forward to it
desperado

Postby Razgriz » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:16 pm

1 year of Kendo and a bit of CQC. I'd like to continue doing CQC and take up a form of Kenjutsu.
Razgriz

Postby Uriah » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:31 pm

I don't know that much about Choy le fut to descibe it in great detail. It's a type of kung fu. My friend is the one who takes classes, so he can't show me forms.

It is pretty agressive, you constantly chase your opponent as you attack. That's about as well as I can describe it without using 3 paragraphs.
Uriah

Postby girlninja » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:52 pm

heh yea just saw the PRIDE fight tonight freakin good fights /smile heh
i'm hopin to take up the Boken soon ^^ and the three sectional bo staff ^^ i already do the bo staff now ^^ it's fun

yea i talked with someone who did Choy le fut and told me some of the differences ^^ heh
we were/are part of a lot different affliations ^^ i just love training
i'm also an instructor hopefully going for my black in about 6 to 9 months ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby girlninja » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:53 pm

btw what is CQC? ^^ lol sorry if i'm dense ^^:

Nami
girlninja

Postby Saint Kevin » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:17 am

CQC = Close Quarters Combat, I assume.

I took some Tae Kwon Do for about a year, made it to blue belt, and ran out of money. I plan on going back to it if I get a steady job any time soon. Pray for that. Oh, and William, my school is also part of the ATA. They seem like a great organization, although I tend to agree with those that have rightfully judged Tae Kwon Do as a style lacking in grappling and other close quarters techniques.

The school that I went to (to their credit), supplemented the ATA stuff with practical teaching through one-steps and so forth, but I still came away really thinking that learning judo or something would be really helpful. That statistic about fights ending up on the ground is really true. At that point it's about stamina, wits, and tenacity. Any rules that may have applied to training, sparring, and tournaments are out the window at that point. Kicks to the groin, eye-gouging, and other cheap (but effective) techniques are probably the way to go. If it's a matter of survival, as some fights can very well end up being, you need an aggressiveness that isn't really taught in many places.

Other than the lack of grappling and real world fighting applications aside, I loved the school and intend on going back. I do think that full contact sparring would be great, and is really the only way to learn what can really hurt you, and hurt others. I think it should be made as safe as possible, and then done as often as possible. That's the best training for real world self-defense in my opinion...but I digress...
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby girlninja » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:23 am

i agree with having a versatile round about fighting style...for ground fighitng i would really recommend the brazilian jiu-jitsu i have found that to be the best style for ground tho judo i'm sure is helpful as well..

sorry to say i'm not a big fan of tae kwon do due to alot of school's tend to be traditional tho i'm sure that there are some modern schools out there i'm just not a huge fan

Muay Thai Kick boxing is hard but i think it's effective. when i fought i had head gear, gloves and a mouth peace still very difficult regardless...

i have a big issue with tournaments nowadays...especially besides just the political but like for musical kata's , there is too much emphasis upon the gymnastics..you loose the art of the sport..i have competed and seen when ppl will have excellent martial arts skills but when there opponent has a mediocre skill then puts in a back flip or aerial they win...

what happened to it being a test of skill in the art not gymnastics??

Nami
girlninja

Postby Cap'n Nick » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:25 am

"White belt forever." That's a really cool way of saying it :).

I agree, versatility is the way to go. I do Shotokan karate, but the owner of the school also teaches Brazilian/Gracie jiu-jitsu and requires a basic knowledge of grappling for advancement in karate. All of the other instructors have black belts in at least one other style and I've found that I really appreciate the different principles and techniques they incorporate.

One of them got his first black belt in kempo karate and is also familiar with many of the kung fu styles you mentioned. I'll have to ask him if he studied with the bujiee you were talking about.

I haven't been in it very long, and I do it more for fitness than self defense, so I haven't been to any tournaments yet. Have things really gotten that bad? Yeesh.
Cap'n Nick

Postby youngWilliam » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:01 am

yeah i'm not too satisfied w/ what i'm learning. we spend all of our time on the forms, one-steps, and self defence that we rarely get any weapons training. I'll probably end up teaching weapons techniques at my school, once I turn sixteen and get recognition as a certified instructor. btw, i'm testing for my next rank somtime this month, and i am getting sick of doing the forms overandoverandover again ever class.
Knights of the World: To Protect, To Serve, To Jesus Christ.
elifeimpact.com
youngWilliam

Postby girlninja » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:53 pm

yea doing forms over and over again is frustrating but if you do your stances low enough and power driven it's a great workout which is really what forms are used for ^^ it's how people work out in the old days ^^ really i love forms becuz it works you out when done properly ^^

and yea tournaments have gotten that bad its pretty horrible and i've seen instructor's hold people's belts to a lower rank when in reality they are higher ranks ><
oooooooo good luck on your rank ^^ heh i'm hopin to test for my black in shaolin in about another 6 to 9 months then i'll be a full instructor ^^ it's hard but fun ^^ i'm hopin to train in the boken which is the sword...i really want to try it lol sounds fun ^^

Jiu jitsu so far i have found to be the best style tho i'm familiar in japanese style jiu jitsu as well as brazilian tho i mainly use the jap style for grabs and holds ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:16 pm

Just read my signature. I train under Nikk Wise Senei who trained under Darrell Williams Senei who trained under professer Jenkins.

We also practice with boken, Escrima, Gacie Jujitsu, and knives.

We're hoping to get a our dojo part of the AJJF, but I think Darrell senei's being lazy...
Shao Feng-Li

Next

Return to General Entertainment