Favorite toy...

Talk about anything in here.

Favorite toy...

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:00 am

Hey All,
I just posted this in a welcome thread, and thought, "Hey, that would be a good idea for a more general get-to-know-people thread."

What is your favorite toy (kept or lost). Mine would have to be my transformers that mom threw out when I got older. I had lots of them, and not very many friends. Come to think of it, they were my friends. Great, now I sound insane. Well, just don't listen to the other voice.
Mithrandir

Postby Technomancer » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:40 am

lego
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby LorentzForce » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:42 am

i second lego. i built the not-so-powerful air powered Lego gun. it shoots nails, and other than the ammunition all the parts are from Lego sets.
LorentzForce

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:49 am

Good point. All my transformer bases were built out of legos. Hmm... Maybe I need to switch my fav...
Mithrandir

Postby Razgriz » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:02 am

I'd have to say GIJOE, the vehicles in there are real cool. Unfortunately though, the only one that I got was the monster truck with the gatling missile launcher.
Razgriz

Postby MasterDias » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:06 am

I was a big fan of Legos myself. I used to subscribe to their magazine.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby MyrrhLynn » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:17 am

MY BARBIE! :grin: :lol:

Actually... that's not true. Although between my sisters and me we had enough dolls, cars, clothes, and houses to make a Barbie City. :wow!:

Actually my favorite toy was my Breyer Horses. They are sitting in a box in the basement right now but they are coming with me when I move into my own house. :grin: I would spend hours playing with those things. And I always cried so hard if one of them broke. :waah!:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Shinja » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:35 am

yeah i also spent much time with legos growing up, fun stuff
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:52 am

MyrrhLynn wrote:Actually my favorite toy was my Breyer Horses.

You will not be the only one to post this, I think. ;)
Mithrandir

Postby LorentzForce » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:57 am

ahh, the days when i made my sis angry by shooting her dolls with my BB gun.

oh wait, that reminds me! i also had a BB gun. some weird AK looking thing that i can remember now. but oh boy, it was powerful enough to go through three of those wire meshes on my apartment windows. i love BB guns...

and i also have this miniture car that runs on 2 AA sized batteries. you know, those little racing cars. i still have one.

oh, and i used to do plastic kits. i remember saving up $5 to buy a kit. now that i think of it, i wanna go back to Korea. they have such cool kits at much lower prices than in Australia. aww...
LorentzForce

Postby Ashley » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:32 am

I had a toy kitchenette I was obsessed with. We have videos of me going ballistic if anyone messed with my play stove. -__-'
Ashley

Postby shooraijin » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:33 am

> We have videos of me going ballistic if anyone messed with my play stove.

*edges away nervously*

I had a Snoopy doll for many years, and I still have it around here somewhere.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:44 pm

Was that the "Joe Cool" snoopy, or the regular?
Mithrandir

Postby Spencer » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:19 pm

I used to have a lot of Ninja Turtles action figures, then I got some that had costumes on, then I got SHredder and April and Bebop and Rocksteady. And that big robot thing that put the brain in his stomach and it was always yelling at Shredder. I wanted to step on that stupid brain...
:)
Spencer

Postby Lightbringer » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:42 pm

Well, in general i cast my vote for GIJoes. I had many many many of them, and daily i set them up in a gigantic battle. But my most memorable toy that i ever had. was a super awsome cool Robo-cop toy........ One day i was out on sebec lake with my family (i was like 7) and i was playing with my awsome Robo-cop toy (wich had the opening leg holster with the big machine pistol, and also a removable hand so you could put his big machine gun flame thrower rocket launcher combo thing on it. and removable faceplate). anyway, i was looking over the side of the boat into the dark water, when suddenly the Robo-cop slipped from my little grasp......... it hit the water and i watched it instantly sink into the cold depths.........

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby andyroo » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:52 pm

No favourite here. Just had lots-o-toys...cheap ones most the time. I liked the LEGOs; had GI-Joes that I would put in a toy C-130 that I "flew" around the house.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:21 pm

Lightbringer wrote:......... it hit the water and i watched it instantly sink into the cold depths.........

:snif:
Mithrandir

Postby madphilb » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:55 pm

Legos (or as their literature will tell you, Lego Building Blocks :D ).

I agree with the themed sets, I had a few of the original sets (like the space ones), they wheren't too bad, but most of the newer ones are more "custom" pieces than Legos... can't build much with them.

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:18 pm

Micro Machines! I had and still have thousands of them, seriously over 2,000! I think it was around 56% Military, 14% Civy, and 30% star wars. I had tons of massive battle, skirmishes, and special operations played out across my bedroom floor. :) This died down a little when started playing with map editors for computer games. Currently, they're all in the top of my closet. Good times.
Link Antilles

Postby Mimichan » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:20 pm

I played with my brother's toys...girl toys are so, well, GIRLY!! However, I _did_ like to play with my horses (don't know what company they were from, but I still have some: they are a collectors item I believe and you can get them through a catalog)Otherwise, Hotwheels, marbles,legos, and the original Star Wars toys...I loved to play with the lightsaber! It made a cool _WWWWHOoooosh_ noise ^_^

"Why do people not notice until they lose it?
What it is that's truly important...
Although I can't afford to forgive even myself,
Because you were there,
I was able to be myself (Natural).
I want to be honest...I want to be kind...
I want to be the adult I once (in my childhood) longed to be.
I go on fighting against the heart to run away...
I go on fighting against that invisible something!"
---

True Navigation: Two MIX
Mimichan

Postby EireWolf » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:55 pm

MyrrhLynn wrote:Actually my favorite toy was my Breyer Horses.

I second that! I have some of mine still, in a box in my garage. Come to think of it, they'd make good sculptures to have around the house... Maybe I'll go get them out again...

Yeah, I could play with those things for hours. I'd gather them into herds, and have some crisis come up that they had to escape from using their horsey ingenuity... I even had a Breyer unicorn. He was the coolest. I wonder whatever happened to that one...?
EireWolf

Postby Mimichan » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:42 pm

EireWolf wrote:I second that! I have some of mine still, in a box in my garage. Come to think of it, they'd make good sculptures to have around the house... Maybe I'll go get them out again...

I just looked up a site for Breyer Horses. I am now 95% sure that that's what I have. A friend of my brother gave us (him and I) an entire collection+stable when we were kids. I remember that there was a catalogue included, but I lost it over the years and forgot the name of it. I still have some of them and they look very much like the Breyer Horses. Cool. I've always wanted to get more of them.

"Why do people not notice until they lose it?
What it is that's truly important...
Although I can't afford to forgive even myself,
Because you were there,
I was able to be myself (Natural).
I want to be honest...I want to be kind...
I want to be the adult I once (in my childhood) longed to be.
I go on fighting against the heart to run away...
I go on fighting against that invisible something!"
---

True Navigation: Two MIX
Mimichan

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:55 pm

Woah, this thread got WAY more responses than I anticipated. To all you who were willing to bare your souls and show us a bit of your childhood: "Thank you." To those of you who read this and decided not to post, "I can understand." To my wife: "Why do we have toy horses on the book case now, I'm sooooooo confused." No j/k. It's cool. But the horses, they really are there.

You people are cool, you know that??!!??!??
Mithrandir

Return to General