Needing serious help

Make prayer requests or praise God in this forum. If you log out you make anonymous requests. However, your posts will be reviewed before they appear.

Needing serious help

Postby SierraLea » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Here's the problem.
For the longest time I have wanted to be a writer or poet.
I'm taking a poetry class, and I can't even begin to write good poetry. All I can do is rhyme and keep a rhythm.
I'm taking a literature class, and I just take everything at face value and cannot see deeper. Therefore, I cannot do it in my own writing and leave the story only surface deep.
The two things I wanted to do with my life are crumbling around me. I want to swear at something and then punch it. I need guidance, or at least a ray of hope that I am not a total lost cause in these two departments which I love and want to work with. Pray that I gain guidance into what I was given these minimal gifts for. I am almost crying about this, I am so upset.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby anlptgtsg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 am

Maybe you'll get better at it later. There still a possibility it won't either. Since you want it you have to strive for it. It will give you at least a higher percentage that you will be good at it. Will pray.
Proverbs 16:6 Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the Lord a man avoids evil.

John 14:21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.â€
anlptgtsg

Postby goldenspines » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:05 am

Being a fellow artist, I've definitely felt how you feel now (I still do now at times). Of course, trusting in God is essential to make the most of your talents, thus I'll be praying that He shows you which direction to go.

For a side thought, there has been a certain helpful quote by Ira Glass (an American public radio personality among other things) that has been spreading around my school's art and writing departments.

[quote="Ira Glass"] “]
goldenspines

Postby Hiryu » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 am

Don't lose hope, yet. You quit now, and you definitely won't be a poet/writer. This is only your first semester after all. Some people with great talents take time to develop.

Rhyming and keeping a rhythm last time I checked is good for poetry.

Stories and poems are very detail-oriented. Don't be upset if you don't notice things the first few times around. Infact, I swear I find new things every once in a while when I look through some of my favorite old stories.
Hiryu

Postby MrKrillz0r » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Do not worry, this happens to most people with a passion for something. I go through it more than often. But looking to God and seek what his intentions are for you is the best thing you can do. If God has called you to do this, He will surely give you whatever you need to go through with it! Have faith and do not give into the lie that you are to weak/bad/untalented or whatever!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all his righteousness; and all these things will be added unto you"
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:19 pm

What everyone else said. There's also the fact that not every piece of literature or poetry needs a deeper meaning. Sometimes the prettiest poems are about admiring the sunset. Nothing more, nothing less.
Atria35

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Ever tried the learning style survey? Give it a shot. Then maybe you can find someone in the student help center (provided your campus has one) who can explain the material but in a way that fits your learning style.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby SierraLea » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm more discouraged by my inability to read between the lines than anything else, but I am getting better. Today, when my class looked at a poem, I was the only one who saw some of the connections and stuff! I'm not as big an idiot as I thought!
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby Xeno » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:58 am

SierraLea (post: 1590891) wrote:Here's the problem.
For the longest time I have wanted to be a writer or poet.
I'm taking a poetry class, and I can't even begin to write good poetry. All I can do is rhyme and keep a rhythm.
I'm taking a literature class, and I just take everything at face value and cannot see deeper. Therefore, I cannot do it in my own writing and leave the story only surface deep.
The two things I wanted to do with my life are crumbling around me. I want to swear at something and then punch it. I need guidance, or at least a ray of hope that I am not a total lost cause in these two departments which I love and want to work with. Pray that I gain guidance into what I was given these minimal gifts for. I am almost crying about this, I am so upset.

You shouldn't confuse a desire to do something with having been given the gift to do that particular something. As your posts have shown, you obviously have a very hard time with getting the deeper meanings of literature, which means that if this is something you truly want to do...you're going to have to work very very hard at it. Even people who are gifted at certain things can't just rely on their innate skill to get them by forever, they have to work hard to hone and progress or they just end up being someone who is a really good beginner.

The gifted musician doesn't play Beethoven the first time they sit down at a piano.
The gifted artist doesn't sculpt the statue of David the first time they touch their tools.
The gifted writer does not write Shakespeare the first time they pick up a pen.

Through hard work and study they accomplish these things.
Xeno

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:06 am

Xeno (post: 1591517) wrote:You shouldn't confuse a desire to do something with having been given the gift to do that particular something. As your posts have shown, you obviously have a very hard time with getting the deeper meanings of literature, which means that if this is something you truly want to do...you're going to have to work very very hard at it. Even people who are gifted at certain things can't just rely on their innate skill to get them by forever, they have to work hard to hone and progress or they just end up being someone who is a really good beginner.

The gifted musician doesn't play Beethoven the first time they sit down at a piano.
The gifted artist doesn't sculpt the statue of David the first time they touch their tools.
The gifted writer does not write Shakespeare the first time they pick up a pen.

Through hard work and study they accomplish these things.

I keep meaning to come in and say exactly this.

Here's a presentation that goes deeper into it, that I think you'll appreciate: Howard Tayler: Talent? Who Needs Talent? (I'd rate it PG to be on the safe side.) He's not a poet or a literature writer, but what he says applies to any art and I think it'll help you profoundly. Seriously, watch it.

If it's any additional encouragement, try thinking of your situation this way: if you're so awful now, you have nowhere to go but up. If you aren't that bad, cool, you get to improve on a little skill that's already there. Either way, if you want to be successful (however you wish to define that), you've got a lot of work ahead of you.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby SierraLea » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:28 pm

I should explain myself more throughouly. I was frustrated with my poetry because, in a good poem, everything is supposed to mean something. I'm talking about the sound, meaning, origin, line placement, and possible repetitions all count. At the start, I could only focus on rhyme and rhythm, which I thought was what defined poetry. Then, when I tried to make things count, I could only focu on one aspect of writing per poem. Then, recently, I've been able to focus on at least two things for each poem I write. So I am getting better with practice.
Also, if I really read a book and don't just skim through it for class, I can find deeper meaning. It just takes a while, and it wouldn't for someone with a normal brain.
Thanks for all your advice.
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:32 pm

SierraLea (post: 1592151) wrote:Also, if I really read a book and don't just skim through it for class, I can find deeper meaning. It just takes a while, and it wouldn't for someone with a normal brain.

Wait a second. Are you suggesting that people without a "normal brain" as you put it cannot find deeper meaning in something they read??

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:45 pm

K. Ayato (post: 1592154) wrote:Wait a second. Are you suggesting that people without a "normal brain" as you put it cannot find deeper meaning in something they read??

I think she meant those people would take less time to find the deeper meaning.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby goldenspines » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Actually, I think she's thinking on the contrary. That a person with a "normal brain" would be able to find that meaning faster than someone without a "normal brain". Whatever "normal" is in this case.

Though, that's not necessarily true at all. I have no idea what kind of brain Sierra has, but it shouldn't matter. You learn things at your own pace and you work at it in a way that works best for you. You're in school to learn, not to show off what you already know.
If you knew everything already and were skilled at stuff, you wouldn't need to go to school. XP
goldenspines

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:58 pm

That's why I suggested the learning style survey.

K. Ayato

Postby Lynna » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:46 pm

I'll pray for you! And I echo what others have been saying. You're allowed to have trouble writing amazing things the moment you put pen to paper. You're allowed to have trouble reading between the lines. These things take lots and lots of practice, and with time, you will get better. Take your time with it. Don't give up! Sometimes pieces are like rough gemstones- they aren't pretty yet, but they can be. Have patience.
As for not being able to see depth in story, for some things I have no Idea how others find the depth in them that they do. But it probably is also something that comes with time and practice.
Also, I can barely rhyme. I have problems with basic writing concepts. If I'm not giving up, neither should you!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby AdriTan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:58 am

Try this:
Instead of trying to focus on the meaning you don't know, first focus on the descriptive words themselves.

Also people are constantly inventing new kinds of poetry through time. Maybe you'll be famous for poems that describe physical things rather than metaphorical things.

And I echo what the others say, "Don't give up!" and keep praying!
Love Momma Flower @}~~,~
AdriTan

Return to Prayer Room