Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby cyberpunk otaku » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:42 pm

Neane (post: 1526624) wrote:

Also, another consideration for a new anime to add to your list is Texhnolyze. It's the Trippest and weirdest, Darkest, est anime ever made. [I believe that the makers were on drugs when making it.]
If you're worried about content: Implied sexual scenes, some brief nudity, and some quite extreme violence by the last 6 episodes.
There are two ways to watch this anime: One: Watch from Episode 1 to the end. [The First 11 episodes are extremely slow.]
Two: Start with episode 12 and then watch to the end. [This is when the Plot becomes quite awesome.]

Really? Have you seen Ergo Proxy or Serial Experiments Lain or Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, 2nd gig? Paprika, that's really strange.

What do you mean by "est anime" typo? I don't think the makers were on drugs at all. I just don't think they're Christian. There's an interview with them on DVD 1, in addition the character designer is on Twitter and Flickr. I think they're actually quite sane and creative human beings.
[font="Century Gothic"]Your silence is not an answer.
Onishi, Texhonlyze[/font]
cyberpunk otaku

Postby Neane » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:35 pm

cyberpunk otaku (post: 1528832) wrote:Really? Have you seen Ergo Proxy or Serial Experiments Lain or Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, 2nd gig? Paprika, that's really strange.

What do you mean by "est anime" typo? I don't think the makers were on drugs at all. I just don't think they're Christian. There's an interview with them on DVD 1, in addition the character designer is on Twitter and Flickr. I think they're actually quite sane and creative human beings.

It's a joke.
Neane

Postby cyberpunk otaku » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Neane (post: 1528879) wrote:It's a joke.

No need to get snarky :dizzy:I thought it might have been, but as a "newbie" I'm not going to assume anything.
[font="Century Gothic"]Your silence is not an answer.
Onishi, Texhonlyze[/font]
cyberpunk otaku

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:41 pm

I would like to know whether or not Arakawa Under the Bridge, Toradora, or Crest of the Stars would work for anime club time. Stuff they have liked is Moyashimon, Trigun, Baccano!, and Ao no Exorcist. I would also like to know if there is any fanservice or nudity/sexual content that I should probably know about before showing any of them.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Crossfire » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:32 pm

I can only speak for Toradora, though the last time I watched it was more than a year ago. No nudity that I can recall, but all in all it's a good romantic comedy.
Crossfire

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:41 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1529704) wrote:I would like to know whether or not Arakawa Under the Bridge, Toradora, or Crest of the Stars would work for anime club time. Stuff they have liked is Moyashimon, Trigun, Baccano!, and Ao no Exorcist. I would also like to know if there is any fanservice or nudity/sexual content that I should probably know about before showing any of them.

Well, that's hard to say. Can't speak for Arakawa, but Toradora! and Crest of the Stars aren't really like any of your examples.
Toradora! is a romantic comedy and is probably one of the better examples of the genre within the last several years. You could give it a shot. I saw several people who liked it who didn't normally like rom coms. So I think it has fairly wide appeal.
Crest of the Stars is space opera and is slow-paced, has a lot of talking, and isn't very action-focused. While a good show, I suspect it's something of an acquired taste and I'm not quite sure how well it would go over with the average anime club unless you have a bunch of major sci-fi fans.

Fanservice-wise, I don't think there is that much to speak of. From what I remember, Toradora! had a mild amount fanservice at points, but was otherwise pretty tame. CotS had brief nudity in one episode, and nothing of note in the rest of the series.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Our college showed Toradora at it's anime club. It seemed to go over pretty well.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1529704) wrote:I would like to know whether or not Arakawa Under the Bridge.

Arakawa is more of a really wacky comedy and different from any of the shows you've screened. From what I remember, there was some innuendo, but I don't remember any fanservice per say... but my memory is shaky and I only watched the first six episodes. I'd say pre-screen this one to make sure I'm remembering right.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:43 pm

Actually, after showing Sengoku Basara and everyone really liking it, I've pretty much determined that everyone likes light action/comedy things the most. Suggestions for what to show next, please?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Smileloviene » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1532161) wrote:Actually, after showing Sengoku Basara and everyone really liking it, I've pretty much determined that everyone likes light action/comedy things the most. Suggestions for what to show next, please?

You might want to consider Tordora! then, 'cause its hilarious and action at the same time. There is a tiny bit of fanservice, i suppose, like they said... but not any more then split second things. Angel Beats also has action and tons of humor, and I don't remember any fanservice... the worst it got in that area was a few comments I think... nothing else. It has language and some blood, but the violence is mostly humorous and never really disturbing.

Anyway, I actually had a question of my own. Me and my younger sister like the watch anime together, which i mentioned quite a while back. We've almost finished Kemono no Souja Erin and have loved it so far... and we might have one short series to watch after that, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask: It's been a year or two since I watched "Wolf's Rain" and "Black Cat" and I'm considering watching one or both with her. Problem is, I can't remember how bad those are. She can take the violence in them fine, from what I remember... but is the language really bad in either of those? From what I remember the only fanservice issues would be the silhouette of a woman in a shower in Black Cat... and then that random naked woman in a coma in Wolf's Rain, but she's got hair long enough to cover most of her and doesn't show up often. But, i anyone remembers something else objectionable in either of those, please let me know, 'cause I don't want to scar her. Here's a list of what we've watched to show the level she's used to:

Pandora Hearts
Kemono no Souja Erin
Kimi Ni Todoke
Area 88
DN Angel

I think that's it. Thanks :thumb:
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1532161) wrote:Actually, after showing Sengoku Basara and everyone really liking it, I've pretty much determined that everyone likes light action/comedy things the most. Suggestions for what to show next, please?

Club shows!

FLCL
Soul Eater
Last Exile
Birdy the Mighty Decode
Future Boy Conan
Princess Tutu
Tegami Bacchi
Gurren Lagann
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Smileloviene (post: 1532300) wrote: Here's a list of what we've watched to show the level she's used to:

Pandora Hearts
Kemono no Souja Erin
Kimi Ni Todoke
Area 88
DN Angel

While I don't know about the shows you asked, if you're up for more suggestions to go with, I'd do
Seirei no Moribito (same author as Erin, so this would be a fantastic choice!)
Princess Tutu
Heroman
Twelve Kingdoms
Summer Wars
Atria35

Postby Lynna » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:14 am

Does anyone know anything about the show Sora no Woto?
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:42 am

Lynna (post: 1532493) wrote:Does anyone know anything about the show Sora no Woto?

Sora no Woto is a slice-of-life about girls living in a... well, I'd call it a post-apocalyptic world after a fictionalized WW3 or something like that. Except the place isn't dark and deadly and terrible, there's just not a whole lot of modern technology left. It's pretty slow-paced, does have some good moments, except near the end they just throw in some politics to spice it up or whatever. I am rather indifferent, but most people seem to enjoy it. There's really no language, not really any fanservice, some violence (some blood but no real gore). There is a scene where the people from the Church (obviously meant to be Christian), join in a local celebration the villagers have to celebrate those who've passed on, and the first episode has a myth about a firebird or some such, but nothing really offensive.
Atria35

Postby Falx » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 am

Sora no Woto is one of the few series I've watched where the writers successfully allow the setting to advance the plot. The world is itself telling the story of it's past, and rewards an attentive watcher. It's easily dismissed as "military K-On" by glancing at the surface, but it has depths unheard of in most slice-of-life shows.

And really the politics were there from the very first scene, starting from casual mentions of the recent war building up to the climax as the plot progresses. I highly recommend it to anyone.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Smileloviene » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Atria35 (post: 1532414) wrote:While I don't know about the shows you asked, if you're up for more suggestions to go with, I'd do
Seirei no Moribito (same author as Erin, so this would be a fantastic choice!)
Princess Tutu
Heroman
Twelve Kingdoms
Summer Wars

We've watched Summer Wars and love it :)

And... haha... I've tried to force past my initial distaste for "power-girl" anime for princess tutu... and have never been able to force myself enough to get past the first episode :drool: just... too... much... :eyebrow: ballet? ducks? cheesiness in general? :eyeroll: something like that, lol.

I will keep Seirei no Moribito in mind for sure then, 'cause we've loved Erin so far :thumb: Never heard of the other two... so I'll check them out.

Anyone seen Wolf's Rain or Black Cat that could answer my previous question? If not it's okay... i was just wondering, since I'd enjoyed both of those so much :)
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Smileloviene (post: 1532526) wrote:And... haha... I've tried to force past my initial distaste for "power-girl" anime for princess tutu... and have never been able to force myself enough to get past the first episode :drool: just... too... much... :eyebrow: ballet? ducks? cheesiness in general? :eyeroll: something like that, lol.

I completely understand this- I hated it until the fourth episode. Then it got good. I do recommend trying again, or letting your sister have a go at it on her own. The content is less than what you've listed for the other shows you've seen.

Magic Knight Rayearth might also be a fun choice- it's older, but a great show all around.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:41 pm

Smileloviene (post: 1532526) wrote:Anyone seen Wolf's Rain or Black Cat that could answer my previous question? If not it's okay... i was just wondering, since I'd enjoyed both of those so much :)

How old is your sister? More than the actual "bad" content (of which there's very little,) I'm worried she'd find Wolf's Rain too depressing if she's too young.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby eightluvver888 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Smileloviene (post: 1532300) wrote:
Anyway, I actually had a question of my own. Me and my younger sister like the watch anime together, which i mentioned quite a while back. We've almost finished Kemono no Souja Erin and have loved it so far... and we might have one short series to watch after that, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask: It's been a year or two since I watched "Wolf's Rain" and "Black Cat" and I'm considering watching one or both with her. Problem is, I can't remember how bad those are. She can take the violence in them fine, from what I remember... but is the language really bad in either of those? From what I remember the only fanservice issues would be the silhouette of a woman in a shower in Black Cat... and then that random naked woman in a coma in Wolf's Rain, but she's got hair long enough to cover most of her and doesn't show up often. But, i anyone remembers something else objectionable in either of those, please let me know, 'cause I don't want to scar her.

I think that's it. Thanks :thumb:

Well I've watched both recently, and they're both relatively clean.

Depending on how old she is, I think Wolf's Rain would be kind of confusing. Strange cults... And it is a little depressing. For violence, yeah it's not that bad, just a couple throats getting bitten. For language, I don't recall any actual problems. But it still is a good show, and wolves do add a major awesomeness factor, of course. :thumb:

I'd go with Black Cat, though. I'm watching it with my 9-year-old brother, and I don't think it's much of a problem to his mental state. There is a little bit of everything, but it's fairly mild, Not much bloody violence, Taoism as a cult religion. (I find it coincidential that Taoist sounds so much like terrorist.) Language, there is some, mostly minor, but I don't think it's that bad. For fanservice, yes there is the girl in the shower, and Rinslet generally has less-than-modest outfits, but not "shield your eyes!" worthy. There is some talk about rapists, but it's not a serious issue. Black Cat gets my recommendation.

That was a lot longer than I expected...
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby Smileloviene » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Maokun (post: 1532546) wrote:How old is your sister? More than the actual "bad" content (of which there's very little,) I'm worried she'd find Wolf's Rain too depressing if she's too young.

Ah... I do see where you're coming from ]I completely understand this- I hated it until the fourth episode. Then it got good. I do recommend trying again, or letting your sister have a go at it on her own. The content is less than what you've listed for the other shows you've seen.

Magic Knight Rayearth might also be a fun choice- it's older, but a great show all around.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha... I MIGHT be able to force another episode or two on myself... if I run out of other options for us ;)

eightluvver888 (post: 1532589) wrote:Well I've watched both recently, and they're both relatively clean.

Depending on how old she is, I think Wolf's Rain would be kind of confusing. Strange cults... And it is a little depressing. For violence, yeah it's not that bad, just a couple throats getting bitten. For language, I don't recall any actual problems. But it still is a good show, and wolves do add a major awesomeness factor, of course. :thumb:

I'd go with Black Cat, though. I'm watching it with my 9-year-old brother, and I don't think it's much of a problem to his mental state. There is a little bit of everything, but it's fairly mild, Not much bloody violence, Taoism as a cult religion. (I find it coincidential that Taoist sounds so much like terrorist.) Language, there is some, mostly minor, but I don't think it's that bad. For fanservice, yes there is the girl in the shower, and Rinslet generally has less-than-modest outfits, but not "shield your eyes!" worthy. There is some talk about rapists, but it's not a serious issue. Black Cat gets my recommendation.

That was a lot longer than I expected...

Thanks! ;) This was very helpful. We might do Black Cat first then and save Wolf's Rain for later, 'cause I remember really liking both shows. Though the end of Black Cat seemed too rushed for my taste. Besides that, an excellent show and one I'd like to watch with her, 'cause I think she would agree with all my "Train is BEAST!" comments, lol. :n_n:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smileloviene

Postby Moonlitave » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:56 pm

You guys know anything about InuxBoku?
[color=DarkOrchid]xx[/color]

We love because He first loved us. John 4:19
Moonlitave

Postby Exlon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:19 pm

So I have a fair amount of gift card value on iTunes that would pay for at least 75% of an anime season on iTunes, so I was wondering about suggestions. I was thinking about getting Ouran, but I'm going through the manga, which I seem to prefer most of the time, and I've been watching the episodes on YouTube (not getting ahead of the manga though). I like them okay, but I can't say how much I'd re-watch the show, just 'cause I feel like there's not much story value in the anime version.

So what about picking between Fruits Basket and Clannad? What would you suggest, and why? I don't know too much about either of them, except I know FB is a manga series too (seeing as it is, do you think watching the anime is better, or reading the manga?).
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Manga for FB. It's tons better than the anime. If you're enjoying the manga of Ouran over the anime, then I'm sticking with this recommendation.
Atria35

Postby Exlon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Atria35 (post: 1533778) wrote:Manga for FB. It's tons better than the anime. If you're enjoying the manga of Ouran over the anime, then I'm sticking with this recommendation.

Mmkay. Like at first, since I just watched like the first episode of Ouran (or a good bit of it) before reading the manga, it took a little while for the manga to rub on me. But if I watch the show post-reading, I like the manga better (probably 'cause, you're right, it has more stories and stuff. The show doesn't feel very substantial story-wise).

How about Clannad for anime?
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Well, since Clannad is only an anime (at least in the US), then spring for that. I'm enjoying it, and am about halfway through Afterstory at this point. The first season did have some important, substantial development beneath the fluffy bunniness, and from what I understand, it's huge in the second season.
Atria35

Postby Vii » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Does anyone know of a good anime to recommend to my little brother? I recommended Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood to him and he watched the whole thing and really likes it, but I'm thinking I should find something besides that for him to watch.

He's eleven, turning twelve, and hasn't watched any anime other than Brotherhood, various Pokemon episodes, and a few Ghibli films (He really likes Princess Mononoke.)

I don't want anything with sexual content/lots of innuendo/fanservice, even though he's seen things like make-outs and stuff in movies, I just want to air on the side of caution. And no nudity or really perverse characters (*cough*Pervy Sage*cough*).

As for violence, he's seen Brotherhood, which is fairly violent, but nothing over that amount. (I wouldn't normally recommend Brotherhood to an eleven year old, I only did to him because I know other movies he's seen.)

As for language, a little is fine. He's seen movies with swearing, and I'm sure he's seen a fair amount of it playing video games and watching Youtube. I would prefer it not to be super heavy, though.

Also, it would be awesome if it was a show available legally on Youtube, Hulu, or Netflix Instant.

I thought of a few that might work, and I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea as to what the objectionable content might be, as well as make any new suggestions:

-Hikaru no Go
-Katekyo Hitman Reborn (I started watching this one myself. Looks ok.)
-Cross Game ( I'm planning on watching this one.)
-One Piece
-Prince of Tennis (Dunno how much he'd like sports anime.)
-Soul Eater (I don't know much about this one)
-Noein

Thanks much! ^_^
Vii

Postby Atria35 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:15 pm

I wrote a review for Soul Eater on here:
http://www.christiananime.net/caareviews.php?pageid=ShowReview&id=231
The fanservice is moderate for the first four or five episodes, then pretty much disappears. The gore level is probably a little less than FMA:B.

Hikaru no Go- Clean clean clean except for a ghost of a murdered guy that helps guide Hikaru some of the way to be a champion.

One Piece might be fun. It's PG-13, more or less, has less innuendo and fanservice than a good amount of series (the guys are shown going ga-ga over the girls, but just because they're pretty)

Yu Yu Hakusho is a classic shounen anime, lots of fighting, not as gory as FMA:B, less language, and no real fanservice to speak of.

Looks like Eureka Seven might also be a good title, but no one's really given a solid description of the content. The nudity level is low, though, and the theo themes seem to be on the same level as FMA: B, and same for violence/gore, so it could be worth giving a shot.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Prince of Tennis is way fun. :) There is no sexual content (if you go into the OVAs there are some characters that I believe at homosexual, however). No gore. And, of course it depends on the fansub you'd use, I don't believe the swearing goes past "hell" or the d-word. Also, you can watch the first 50 episodes of it on Hulu here --> Prince of Tennis. There is a second season as well that's airing and being simulcasted on crunchyroll here --> New Prince of Tennis It did take me about 30 episodes to really get into...I stuck with it only because it's a good friend's favorite show. But once you do get into it, the characters are really, really fun.

Soul Eater I would not recommend solely due to the fanservice, even though it does mostly disappear later on. Also, I can handle a lot of anime gore, but the creepy factor near the end of the first season surrounding the villain disturbs me on a rare level. (Soul Eater's "message" is on overcoming fear, and that is taken to exploring lots of different levels of terror.)
MightiMidget

Postby Vii » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Hmmm..I think I'll go with Hikaru no Go and Prince of Tennis, then. Thanks guys!
Vii

Postby AdriTan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 pm

So, I'm looking for Anime without magic, sexual or nude content, lots of mushy gushy love between bf and gf stuff. I'm looking for sci-fis, action, maybe mysteries, and recent stuff. Recommendations?
Love Momma Flower @}~~,~
AdriTan

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews