Mobile Suit Gundam

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1496583) wrote:So guys, I've finally gotten around to joining all you Gundam people and watched the first film
[spoiler]How bout dat ending, huh? Huh?[/spoiler]
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:33 pm

I must now confess that part of what makes it so good is ending on such a note. SIEG ZEON indeed.

Also, I must confess that I'm surprised that the Feddies haven't lost anyone besides the White Base captain yet. Kai kept tripping death flags but I guess I'll have to wait until the next movie to see some glorious Guntank or Guncannon explosions. It's actually kind of fortunate because I can only remember one of the several deaths I had spoiled for me, which I can already tell will be pretty tramautic for Amuro, but maybe not so bad for Ms. Fraw Bow.

Also, I eagerly await more Char, who will hopefully be responsible for those Guntank or Guncannon 'splosions, though I think the skirmish with Ramba Ral might have been my favorite "duel" if only for the fact that his wingmen weren't just cannon fodder. Hopefully Soldiers of Sorrow and Engagements in Space will provide me the teamwork aspect I've come to love from Macross, whether its for the Feddies or Zeon.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 pm

So I just finished Soldiers of Sorrow. I wasn't quite as impressed with this one; it had a lot of strong elements in it but then it would do something to bring it down, like with the three annoying kids near the end. The battles had some pretty epic moments, but then something that would annoy me would happen, like when Hayato takes a missile in the Guncannon and shrugs it off like it was nothing. There was also a noticeable lack Char; I'm surprised at how little he's done for such an important character.

I can tell that they were trying more to establish characters in this part, which they succeeded pretty well at. Kai man'd up and became really awesome, and the rest of White Base each pretty much had a time to shine, barring Hayato. We got some deaths, but they were handled pretty well. I thought they went past them a little too quickly but it wasn't annoyingly so or anything. I think the biggest problem with the story of this movie is that it basically degenerated into "White Base is under attack again!" multiple times, while the events first movie seemed to have a lot more significance. It wasn't bad, by any means, I enjoyed it, but I definitely liked the first movie better, though they both have stuff they could learn from the other movie. Hopefully the third movie will be far more glorious than either and be like the best of both put into one.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1496636) wrote:There was also a noticeable lack Char
Don't worry. Encounters in Space remedies this. In fact, one might say that it has...three times as much Char as a normal Gudam movie!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:35 am

So I finished up Encounters in Space last night, and, wow. That was what I expected Gundam to be all this time. That final battle was really incredible, and did a lot of things I want such battles to have. Lalah was not irritating like I thought she was going to be, though how I got the idea that she was an exiled princess I have no idea, maybe I mixed that up with a different Gundam. Char and Amuro became much more likable at this point, and I liked the crew of the White Base in general more this movie. Easily the best movie, and I fully look forward to checking out Zeta Gundam sometime in the future.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:11 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1496880) wrote:So I finished up Encounters in Space last night, and, wow. That was what I expected Gundam to be all this time. That final battle was really incredible, and did a lot of things I want such battles to have.
Rocket Launchaz ALL UP IN YO FACE!!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby TheBigSpeigs » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:28 pm

So I just watched the first movie in the Gundam Trilogy also and I think Mr. Hat'n'Clogs covered it nicely. It was so much win. It easily kept my attention for the 2 hours and 30 minute runtime. My only problem would be [spoiler] How Amuro would sink into one of his depressions out of nowhere. I can form my own hypothesis as to why but I think the movie could have explained it better [/spoiler] but yeah.......on to Soldiers of Sorrow!
TheBigSpeigs

Postby teigeki_calesa » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:04 am

I'm guessing the "more fitting with Super Robots" character design of Gundam AGE might be an indication of something like Madoka Magica: deceive you into complacency with cutesy character designs, then slam you in the face with a grimdark-as-heck story. Again, just guessing.
Excuse my blinking, just got too many shifts this week.
teigeki_calesa

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:50 am

teigeki_calesa (post: 1497135) wrote:I'm guessing the "more fitting with Super Robots" character design of Gundam AGE might be an indication of something like Madoka Magica: deceive you into complacency with cutesy character designs, then slam you in the face with a grimdark-as-hell story. Again, just guessing.
From your lips to God's ear.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby teigeki_calesa » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:32 pm

^oopsie:red:
Excuse my blinking, just got too many shifts this week.
teigeki_calesa

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:36 am

Yay, people are watching the Gundam movies. :>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:43 am

teigeki_calesa (post: 1497336) wrote:^oopsie:red:
I'm confused. What does this mean? What is it in reference to?
ShiroiHikari (post: 1497523) wrote:Yay, people are watching the Gundam movies. :>
Add my "Yay" to that. Good on you, folks.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Nate » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 am

This isn't about Gundam directly, but it is tangentially related to Gundam. This week's episode of Gokaiger had me going "Man, Sandahl Jr.'s voice is really familiar." So I looked it up on Wikipedia and it turns out Sandahl Jr. (as well as Sandahl in the original Hurricaneger series) was voiced by Shuichi Ikeda, who is most famous for voicing Char Aznable.

Also of note is that the other villain in this week's episode, Saturakura Jr. (and Saturakura in Hurricanger) was voiced by Bin Shimada, who voiced Scirocco. So that was pretty interesting.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby battletech » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:30 am

Everyone who reads this topic even if you have never watched any mecha show. You need to go watch the original Gundam movies. Go! Do it now. No more excuses. Go do it. :grin: ;) No seriously watch them you will like them as much these people have.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby battletech » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to mention this.
A new promo of Gundam Age came out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wF1VF3lgeQ&feature=player_embedded
Sorry just noticed it shows nothing new. Stupid me.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby blkmage » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:07 pm

blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Gundam AGE kid there really stands out from the rest, doesn't he.

Also helloooooo CCA Amuro
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Lockon Stratos » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:31 pm

And you put him next to a Gundam 00 pilot. Of course he's going to look stupid.
The only way it could be worse would be if you put my namesake instead of Setsuna.
But I probably watch it because the evolving mech appeals to my pokemon and digimon obsessed inner child. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go cram my inner child back in his pokeball with his sock friend.
Lockon Stratos

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:29 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1503468) wrote:Gundam AGE kid there really stands out from the rest, doesn't he.

Forget that, look at Domon]And you put him next to a Gundam 00 pilot. Of course he's going to look stupid.
The only way it could be worse would be if you put my namesake instead of Setsuna.[/QUOTE]
I'm no Gundam expert, but I think that's actually the guy from Unicorn.

And while we're on the subject of these peoples' identities, who's the girl (I think she's a girl, at least - once again, the big-hair '80s rears its head) next to Amuro? What series is she from?
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby blkmage » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:34 pm

She's from 0080, but she's not really the main character.
blkmage

Postby Lockon Stratos » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:44 pm

:rant:Uh, no David. That is Setsuna F. Seiei, the Gundam Meister of both the Exia and 00 Gundams. He's from the Anno Domini timeline with no relation to the Universal Century. Not only that but he looks nothing like the Unicorn's pilot.
Lockon Stratos

Postby Juliannesan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:36 am

Yep! That's Domon for you! Looking like an alien compared to the rest of the Gundam series characters. That's probably why I like it so much, He stands out among the rest! :P
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:48 am

Where's my MS Igloo mains?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Where's Banagher :< Is he that guy in the gray/yellow suit next to CCA Amuro? If so, wow, he looks different in the anime.

ETA: The more I look at this picture the more it irritates me. Why are there two Beamspam Je-- I mean, Kira Yamatos?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Lockon Stratos » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:08 pm

He has two suits? I mean I think that's the reasoning behind the multiple Amuros. Oh and where is Heero? Does he have a real pilot suit that I don't recognize or something. (I'm in the process of watching Gundam Wing and am only up to episode 10)
Lockon Stratos

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:17 pm

I think that's Heero to the right of Domon. I don't remember where that pilot suit comes from though. Endless Waltz maybe? I know he had a couple of different ones so why doesn't he appear twice?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:25 pm

It looks like it's one pilot from each show, although the extra GSD pilot thrown in at the expense of UC could be 2ch trollan.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Yeah, probably.

This kind of stuff bothers me because I am a big loser dork nerd when it comes to Gundamu.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Lockon Stratos » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:50 pm

multiple series maybe
Lockon Stratos

Postby MasterDias » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:03 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1503873) wrote:Where's Banagher :< Is he that guy in the gray/yellow suit next to CCA Amuro? If so, wow, he looks different in the anime.

No, I believe that is actually an adult Hathaway Noa from the novel Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash. That list apparently also includes Gundam pilots from manga/novels. I was being thrown off by this too. That blonde-haired kid at the end of the second row is from Crossbone Gundam.

Oddly, It doesn't look like Banagher is on there.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews