Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:47 am

samurai10 (post: 1478225) wrote:I'm trying to find an anime for one of my friends. He's like super super super picky about what he watches, and I'm running out of ideas. XD He likes sci-fi and fantasy genres, and refuses to watch anything that doesn't have one or both of those genres.

So far, he LOVES FMA: Brotherhood, and Soul Eater. And yeah.... Any suggestions would be quite welcome. ^_^

Oh, and something dubbed would be preferable. He doesn't like subbed. In fact, he refuses straight out to watch subbed anime. So um, yeah. ^^

Planetes, Scrapped Princess, Xam'd**, Wings of Honneamise, Eureka Seven**, Infinite Ryvius, Code Geass, Heroic Age**, To Terra..., Escaflowne (tv series), Moonlight Mile, Wolf's Rain**, Fantastic Children, RahXephon, Gungrave, Romeo x Juliet, Now and Then Here and There, Twelve Kingdoms, Jyu-Oh-Sei**, Seirei no Moribito, El Cazador de la Bruja, Trinity Blood, Kekkaishi, Mushishi, Claymore**, Haibane Renmei, Elfen Lied, Death Note, Witch Hunter Robin, Scryed, Corpse Princess

And then you have the ones that Narnian pointed out.

** - denotes ones I think he'd like the most
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed May 11, 2011 9:13 am

samurai10 (post: 1478225) wrote:I'm trying to find an anime for one of my friends. He's like super super super picky about what he watches, and I'm running out of ideas. XD He likes sci-fi and fantasy genres, and refuses to watch anything that doesn't have one or both of those genres.

So far, he LOVES FMA: Brotherhood, and Soul Eater. And yeah.... Any suggestions would be quite welcome. ^_^

Oh, and something dubbed would be preferable. He doesn't like subbed. In fact, he refuses straight out to watch subbed anime. So um, yeah. ^^
Tell him to take 30 bucks and order the Cowboy Bebop DVD box set from Amazon. Watch his life change.

Then, show him Samurai Champloo, streaming on funi's youtube page.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby WeirdWater » Wed May 11, 2011 9:35 am

As dubbed concerned I'd suggest Trigun, Sci-Fi with a touch of western (with that I mean a planet that looks a lot like Tatooine and lots of gun fights).

But when he finally doesn't mind subbed that much I suggest Samurai 7. As you've probably guessed, it's based on the famous Japanese movie Seven Samurai (if you haven't watched it you should, although you've probably have seen the spin-offs Magnificent Seven and The Three Amigos already) with a Sci-Fi twist that strongly reminds me of GinTama (alien technology int the age of Samurai, the Edo-period to be exact).
I don't know if he considers Mecha as Sci-Fi but if he does feed Code Geass to him!

The ones above have my other recommendations but there's still one I want to share: Uninhabited Planet Survive, somehow similar to LOST, as in: a group (in this case a group of classmates) accidentally get thrown across the galaxy by a gravity-storm in an escape-pod.
WeirdWater

Postby Mouse2010 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:37 am

Help me come up with a summer viewing list of stuff that I can watch with my husband? Episodic series are mostly out: with a few exceptions, what we like are stories that have an overarching plot. It has to be available legally, but if it's really good I would be willing to buy it. (Bonus points if we can stream it on our Roku through huluplus or netflix rather than watching at the computer.) Even more bonus points if it has real character development. Shows with too much fanservice or gratuitous sexual content lose points, but we may watch them anyway if they're otherwise really good.

Things we both liked: Tower of Druaga, Baccano!, Clannad and Clannad Afterstory.

Things we both absolutely loved: Monster, Witchblade.

Neither of us really liked: Trigun (sorry, Trigun fans; it was just too episodic for us); Planetes (nothing wrong with that one; it just didn't grip us. We might go back and finish it someday.).

Things already on the to-be-watched list: Haibane Renmei, Casshern Sins, and maybe Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
Mouse2010

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:55 am

If you both liked Clannad, you might like Kanon. It has a similar story (one guy, several girls, learning about his history, etc). There are two versions: original and 2006 remake (with the latter having more episodes, more character development, improved artwork, etc). I've seen both and I prefer 2006.

Here's a review for the original, if you're interested: http://www.christiananime.net/reviews_anime.php?display=234

Oh and also - the original is only available through subs. The 2006 remake has both sub and dub. The dub was done by Funimation and I actually prefer it over the sub. I'm not sure if it's available on any sites, though... But if you can find it, go for it.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:57 am

Mouse2010 (post: 1478502) wrote:Help me come up with a summer viewing list of stuff that I can watch with my husband? Episodic series are mostly out: with a few exceptions, what we like are stories that have an overarching plot. It has to be available legally, but if it's really good I would be willing to buy it. (Bonus points if we can stream it on our Roku through huluplus or netflix rather than watching at the computer.) Even more bonus points if it has real character development. Shows with too much fanservice or gratuitous sexual content lose points, but we may watch them anyway if they're otherwise really good.

Things we both liked: Tower of Druaga, Baccano!, Clannad and Clannad Afterstory.

Things we both absolutely loved: Monster, Witchblade.

Neither of us really liked: Trigun (sorry, Trigun fans]Planetes [/I](nothing wrong with that one; it just didn't grip us. We might go back and finish it someday.).

Things already on the to-be-watched list: Haibane Renmei, Casshern Sins, and maybe Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Durarara!! (on Crunchyroll)
Seirei no Moribito (Crunchyroll)
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (Crunchyroll!)
Shiki (Hulu)
Rainbow (maybe, the sexual content is NOT fanservice nor gratuitous, but it is there in a few scenes of [spoiler]sexual abuse. There is no total nudity or even really seeing anything other than the heads and movement. The only scene were you see anything is the butt of one of the abuser's who's tied up by his victim.[/spoiler] (Funi's website for that one)
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu May 12, 2011 11:17 am

Trigun gets MUCH less episodic after the first 7-9 episodes. The rest is all one narrative.

Gurren Lagann - epic super robot show that streams on Netflix

Hikaru no Go - about playing a board game; sounds boring but is really, really addictive and great; streaming on Netflix

Deathnote - dark series about a boy who is granted the power to kill anyone by writing their name in a notebook; intense crime drama w/ a bit o the supernatural, streaming on Netflix

Cross Game - more on the Clannad side of your taste, this is a coming of age story that uses baseball as a backdrop (read: this isn't ABOUT sports, though the characters play sports) to tell a poignant tale of loss, growing up and young romance; streaming on Hulu.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mouse2010 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:36 am

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! Some of these I've never heard of (like Rainbow and Hikaru no Go) and some of them I'd heard of and wondered if they were any good (Kanon and Shiki, for instance).
Mouse2010

Postby TWWK » Fri May 13, 2011 8:01 am

Kanon, by the way, I think is more consistently good than Clannad and overall I think it's a better series - and this from someone who hold Clannad close to his heart.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri May 13, 2011 1:58 pm

Rainbow is brilliant if you can handle the content, which, as has been pointed out, is there for historical accuracy.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon May 16, 2011 4:02 pm

So, as Nichijou continues to impress me, I'm now curious if there are any other KyoAni works that are similar in style to it, whether by content or art. What would be the closest show they have to it?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1479385) wrote:So, as Nichijou continues to impress me, I'm now curious if there are any other KyoAni works that are similar in style to it, whether by content or art. What would be the closest show they have to it?

KyoAni doesn't have that many productions under their belt. You have Air, Clannad, Kanon, FMP! Second Raid, Munto, Haruhi, both seasons of K-On!, and Lucky Star. Honestly, I don't think any of them are similar.

EDIT: Scratch that For content/art, Lucky Star is probably the closest.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Mon May 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Actually, I think Fumoffu might be your best bet for humour.

But you should watch Clannad anyway, just because.
blkmage

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue May 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Rahxephon looks interesting, I know I like the music since I've listened to it randomly on youtube. So I'd like to know the content of the show, (I've read the review on here, but I'd like the details please.)
I also would like to know if it's worth the watch... how good is it?
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:45 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1479629) wrote:Rahxephon looks interesting, I know I like the music since I've listened to it randomly on youtube. So I'd like to know the content of the show, (I've read the review on here, but I'd like the details please.)
I also would like to know if it's worth the watch... how good is it?

As to whether it's worth the watch, I've heard very mixed reviews. It doesn't really get going until the second half, and it does have a decent amount of technobabble. It's generally considered a good series, though.

Can't say anything about the content, though. I'm still deciding if/when I'll get around to it.
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue May 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Technobabble? xD I don't really mind that.
If it's considered good, then I might just watch it... course' I need to know the content of it first. ^^;
Thanks for your input!
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby jsav777 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey guys, I just finished history's strongest disciple kenichi, and I'm looking for a new comedy to watch that's kind of like it. Any suggestions?
jsav777

Postby Atria35 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:38 pm

jsav777 (post: 1479707) wrote:Hey guys, I just finished history's strongest disciple kenichi, and I'm looking for a new comedy to watch that's kind of like it. Any suggestions?

Gintama.
Atria35

Postby Falx » Tue May 17, 2011 11:05 pm

[quote="AngelicTotoro (post: 1479638)"]Technobabble? xD I don't really mind that.
If it's considered good, then I might just watch it... course' I need to know the content of it first. ^^]

The review is brief but entirely accurate. It's a bit bloody, especially in regards to the aliens, and there is very brief undetailed nudity scattered sporadically and some of the characters are shown in their underwear.

Everything else in the show is exactly as stated by the review, not sure what else you're looking for.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby AngelicTotoro » Wed May 18, 2011 1:26 am

Well.. I guess I should have been more specific. Sorry. ^^;
I'm mostly worried about the violence, since I'm rather squeamish.
AngelicTotoro

Postby Falx » Wed May 18, 2011 2:01 am

Oh well it's not gore and guts levels of violence but people do bleed, sometimes profusely. You won't find gaping wounds though. And like I said it's mostly the aliens who bleed a lot, and their blood is blue.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby TWWK » Wed May 18, 2011 8:53 am

Falx (post: 1479765) wrote:Oh well it's not gore and guts levels of violence but people do bleed, sometimes profusely. You won't find gaping wounds though. And like I said it's mostly the aliens who bleed a lot, and their blood is blue.

To add to that, the golems in the series look very human - the animators get away with kind of graphic violence to these creatures/representations/models - I think if you watch the first episode, you'll get a taste of what the violence is like throughout.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon May 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Is Ayakashi required or just optional viewing before seeing Mononoke?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:05 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1480790) wrote:Is Ayakashi required or just optional viewing before seeing Mononoke?

I do recommend seeing it first, because the last arc in Mononoke references back to it. A lot. Just the Bakeneko arc, though, which was the last.... 3 or 4 episodes, I think.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Mon May 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Yeah, the Bakeneko arc is important and worth watching, and if you're going to watch that, I guess you may as well watch the entire thing.
blkmage

Postby Kingdom » Wed May 25, 2011 6:05 am

Hello to all of the people in the 'Anime Recommendations Thread' and thank you!

I have a question for the people here who have watched Gun X Sword, Ok, I got one question [color="Yellow"]I was wondering if there was a ton of fanservice in this anime or nudity or both?[/color]

Since I can never find a site, that actually reviews anime's in this manner I thought I could turn to you guys!
Thanks so much in advance!
Kingdom

Postby Mouse2010 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:33 am

Kingdom (post: 1481061) wrote:
I have a question for the people here who have watched Gun X Sword, Ok, I got one question [color="Yellow"]I was wondering if there was a ton of fanservice in this anime or nudity or both?[/color]

I hope that other people can weigh in on this, because I'm not sure how best to characterize this anime. On the one hand, yes, there's some fanservice. A lot of it is confined to episode 17, and if you rent the DVDs, you have the option of watching a censored version of that. However, the fanservice in that episode was mostly (IMO) played for comedy, and while I thought it was unnecessary, I didn't think it made the episode unwatchable. (I think, though, that I probably have a higher tolerance than some CAA members.)

There is some other sexual content, including one sex scene that involves quite a bit of nudity (you don't see details, but you do see a lot). The scene was plot-relevant rather than being entirely gratuitous, though.

The thing that *I* found most disturbing was the way that combat was sometimes sexualized, particularly with regard to one character whose fighting style basically involves using her sexuality as a weapon. It's creepy, but it's supposed to be creepy, I think. We're supposed to say "What's WRONG with this woman!?" And: [spoiler]I think we're supposed to cheer when the hero tells her that he's a virgin and he's not giving up his chastity to her.[/spoiler]

So, if any sexual content bothers you, you might want to give the series the pass. On the other hand, if you can take small doses of it, it might be worth giving it a shot. One of the things that I loved about that series is that despite the big-breasted supporting characters and the bikini episode, it really does have a kind of reverence for the institution of marriage that is seldom seen in modern media.
Mouse2010

Postby Kingdom » Wed May 25, 2011 9:02 am

Mouse2010 (post: 1481085) wrote:I hope that other people can weigh in on this, because I'm not sure how best to characterize this anime. On the one hand, yes, there's some fanservice. A lot of it is confined to episode 17, and if you rent the DVDs, you have the option of watching a censored version of that. However, the fanservice in that episode was mostly (IMO) played for comedy, and while I thought it was unnecessary, I didn't think it made the episode unwatchable. (I think, though, that I probably have a higher tolerance than some CAA members.)

There is some other sexual content, including one sex scene that involves quite a bit of nudity (you don't see details, but you do see a lot). The scene was plot-relevant rather than being entirely gratuitous, though.

The thing that *I* found most disturbing was the way that combat was sometimes sexualized, particularly with regard to one character whose fighting style basically involves using her sexuality as a weapon. It's creepy, but it's supposed to be creepy, I think. We're supposed to say "What's WRONG with this woman!?" And: [spoiler]I think we're supposed to cheer when the hero tells her that he's a virgin and he's not giving up his chastity to her.[/spoiler]

So, if any sexual content bothers you, you might want to give the series the pass. On the other hand, if you can take small doses of it, it might be worth giving it a shot. One of the things that I loved about that series is that despite the big-breasted supporting characters and the bikini episode, it really does have a kind of reverence for the institution of marriage that is seldom seen in modern media.

Hey thank you very much! I think you gave me plenty of info and I made my choice already, see I try to get the best reviews before I watch anime with my wife.
But you gave me the decision maker, thank you so much have an awesome day!
Kingdom

Postby Maokun » Wed May 25, 2011 11:20 am

Ok guys, I need your help choosing a new series. The public library got a load of new anime that includes: Nabari, Ohran Host Club, Aquarion, Heroic Age, Gundam Seed, Maburaho and Bamboo Blade. I've heard good things about OHC, but just by looking at it, I'm wary is going to be another CLAMP Campus Detectives, i.e. an exercise in providing female anime watchers a similar kind of fanservice than series aimed to males use when all the female cast has bust size over DD. (in the reverse case, what is size DD is the wallets of the bishoujo-y pretty boys.)

What should be my next series among those? Any of those I shouldn't ever bother with?

My half-complete MAL for reference: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Pylgrim
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Wed May 25, 2011 11:27 am

Ouran is by far the best thing on that list, no contest.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews