Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby DignifiedSoul » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:20 pm

Wow thank you so much for the recommendations!I'll keep in mind of what you said about Azumanga Daioh.Thanks again for helping me ^_^
[font="Century Gothic"][color="YellowGreen"]When you fall in love with Jesus,you fall out of love with the world - Ron Luce[/color][/font]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"][font="Arial"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color][/font][color="DarkOrchid"] [font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font][/font] :jump:
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Pink"]"We love because God loved us first." 1 John 4:19 NIV[/color][/font]
http://dignifiedsoul.blogspot.com
[color="PaleGreen"]"Proud member of [color="PaleGreen"]MOES[/color]!"[/color]
DignifiedSoul

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:23 pm

DignifiedSoul (post: 1338578) wrote:Well I just recently started watching anime a few months ago.
I watched:Chance Pop Session,Best Student Council,Fruits Basket
I'm Currently Watching:Shugo Chara,Hayate no Gotoku!,Pita Ten
I Plan To Watch:Kodocha,Vampire Knight,Azumanga Daioh,Ouran High School Host Club,Daa Daa Daa,and Rozen Maiden
I only want to watch clean,appropriate,and decent anime...although I know unfortunately there would be cursing in most.But I literally don't want any perverted anime.Yes I know Shugo Chara has some perverted stuff but at least it doesn't go too far.So can you please recommend what I'm looking for?I'd be really thankful. :3

Kaleido Star! Definitely check out Kaleido Star. It's very clean and very cute. Also, you might want to look into Haibane Renmei and Full Moon wo Sagashite. The latter might have some content in it, so you may want to check the review we have first just to double check. It's a very clean series, though, no worse than Fruits Basket and absolutely wonderful. XD I'd recommend it!

EDIT:

Oh, also, look into Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart. Both are movies from Studio Ghibli, and they're both excellent and very clean. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby RandomBurrito » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Ok, this time I'm not asking for me, hehe. I was wondering if there's any anime that would interest a 14yr old boy? I want my cousin to try to watch another anime other than the one he's watching (way too much magic and demon stuff). Something with action and comedy but also something fairly clean and not so much on the magic as well.

Thanks!
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:41 pm

I totally second Cardcaptor Sakura. That's my personal favorite magical girl anime. There are a few "out there" moments but if you can handle Fruits Basket you can probably handle Cardcaptor Sakura, and I'd say CCS is the cleaner of the two.

If you're into CCS, Tsubasa Chronicle might appease to you too. It's pretty clean, and this anime is based on a manga that's created by the same mangaka (CLAMP). It's also another personal favorite of mine. There is, however, language present in the sub (mostly from Kurogane). However, the dub, from what I've seen, is almost completely free of language though. The dub was also done by Funimation so it's not butchered or anything. I'd definitely recommend watching it dubbed if you can.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Dr.Faust » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:52 pm

thank you everyone
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby DignifiedSoul » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:27 am

Thank you so much everyone!This is really helpful! :3
[font="Century Gothic"][color="YellowGreen"]When you fall in love with Jesus,you fall out of love with the world - Ron Luce[/color][/font]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"][font="Arial"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color][/font][color="DarkOrchid"] [font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font][/font] :jump:
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Pink"]"We love because God loved us first." 1 John 4:19 NIV[/color][/font]
http://dignifiedsoul.blogspot.com
[color="PaleGreen"]"Proud member of [color="PaleGreen"]MOES[/color]!"[/color]
DignifiedSoul

Postby Maokun » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

RandomBurrito (post: 1338603) wrote:Ok, this time I'm not asking for me, hehe. I was wondering if there's any anime that would interest a 14yr old boy? I want my cousin to try to watch another anime other than the one he's watching (way too much magic and demon stuff). Something with action and comedy but also something fairly clean and not so much on the magic as well.

Thanks!

You may try One Piece which has great action and comedy and the only magic on it is in the form of rare fruits that give the persons who eat them special abilities. Also any of the many mechas series, like Gundam.
Maokun

Postby RandomBurrito » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Maokun (post: 1338673) wrote:You may try One Piece which has great action and comedy and the only magic on it is in the form of rare fruits that give the persons who eat them special abilities. Also any of the many mechas series, like Gundam.

I think he's seen One Piece and liked it. Hm.... I'll tell him about Gundam. I used to watch that as well and I did enjoy it. Thanks for the help!

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
RandomBurrito

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Would anyone recommend Le Chevalier D'eon? The premise certainly sounds interesting, and I've read some good reviews, but know nothing about the objectionable content - why is it TV MA?

As usual for my requests here, language isn't such a big deal, violence I can handle, but I try to stay away from sexual content/nudity/yaoi/yuri, etc... Can anyone give me an idea? Thanks!
Wyntre Rose

Postby RandomBurrito » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:13 pm

Wyntre Rose (post: 1338850) wrote:Would anyone recommend Le Chevalier D'eon? The premise certainly sounds interesting, and I've read some good reviews, but know nothing about the objectionable content - why is it TV MA?

As usual for my requests here, language isn't such a big deal, violence I can handle, but I try to stay away from sexual content/nudity/yaoi/yuri, etc... Can anyone give me an idea? Thanks!

Has anyone recommended to you Beyond the Clouds the Promised Place? It is one of my favorites and is actually very clean and innocent.
Here is the review for it if your interested.
http://www.christiananime.net/reviews_anime.php?display=159

I would also recommend 5 Centimeters Per Second which is another anime from Makoto Shinkai. It's only three episodes long but I enjoyed it.

These two are not fast paced animes though, but very detailed. Hope you enjoy them! ^_^ God bless!

RandomBurrito

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:20 pm

Yes, I have seen and loved both of those! :thumb: Makoto Shinkai rocks my socks!

Oh, and I reread my previous post, and it was a rather confusing layout. Though I am ALWAYS open to suggestions, I was really just asking about the content in Le Chevalier. :red: Sorry for the confusion.
Wyntre Rose

Postby RandomBurrito » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Wyntre Rose (post: 1338868) wrote:Yes, I have seen and loved both of those! :thumb: Makoto Shinkai rocks my socks!

Oh, and I reread my previous post, and it was a rather confusing layout. Though I am ALWAYS open to suggestions, I was really just asking about the content in Le Chevalier. :red: Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, sorry 'bout that then, hehe. I should've read it better.

BTW, what anime is that character in your sig from? *curious*

RandomBurrito

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:12 pm

No, no, my fault. Always glad to know another Shinkai fan though, so no harm done! :hug:

The character in my sig is Kyouya from Ouran High School Host Club. I very highly recommend it - there's a review on this site for it if you want to see what objectionable content is in it (not much). It's an "affectionate parody" of reverse harem shoujo anime. It has its tongue firmly in cheek, and it's one of my absolute favorites. And Kyouya is my favorite character.
Wyntre Rose

Postby RandomBurrito » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:21 pm

Wyntre Rose (post: 1338893) wrote:No, no, my fault. Always glad to know another Shinkai fan though, so no harm done! :hug:

The character in my sig is Kyouya from Ouran High School Host Club. I very highly recommend it - there's a review on this site for it if you want to see what objectionable content is in it (not much). It's an "affectionate parody" of reverse harem shoujo anime. It has its tongue firmly in cheek, and it's one of my absolute favorites. And Kyouya is my favorite character.

Oh ok, my friend said it was a good one but I haven't gotten around to really watching it. She said that the manga was better than the show .. I think that's what she said. I don't remember, lol.

I might read the manga first, I wish someone did a review for the manga (I've only seen the anime review but haven't yet seen the manga review). Thanks for the info! :thumb:

RandomBurrito

Postby MasterDias » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Wyntre Rose (post: 1338850) wrote:Would anyone recommend Le Chevalier D'eon? The premise certainly sounds interesting, and I've read some good reviews, but know nothing about the objectionable content - why is it TV MA?

Le Chevalier d'Eon is basically a fantasy re-imagining of events leading up to the French Revolution. If you are familiar with European history at all, you might find it interesting, as pretty much every notable character except one or two are based on real-life historical figures. For what it's worth, Funimation (and ADV before them) rated it TV 14.

It can be a pretty bloody and violent show at points, with quite a few deaths, but I don't recall it being particularly over-the-top. But if anyone rated it mature, it's probably for this.

There are a fair amount of blatant references to monarchs and the aristocracy having lovers and mistresses, but I think that's about the extent of the sexual content. There are a few brief scenes of implied nudity, but...if I remember correctly...it was mostly obscured by objects/camera angles or is otherwise not particularly graphic.

There is a very heavy undercurrent of mysticism in the show as well. The main character is possessed by the spirit of his murdered sister, and a number of characters are "Psalmists," sorcerers who cast spells by using the book of Psalms.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Roz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Ok peoples, strap in.

I am looking for an anime that bespeaks greatness. A truly epic anime. And anime that you finish and sit staring at the screen with your mouth open for a half hour. It can be an epic-ly sweet anime or an epic-ly dramatic anime or an epic-ly funny anime or just plain epic-ly epic. :)

If possible I would like one that has a happy ending, or at least semi happy. And I don't handle really gross or really weird sexual stuff very well either. As little objectionable content as possible. Please make as many suggestions as you can think of.

Thank you in advance!
Roz

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:50 pm

You're going to need to qualify that with some genres and stuff you've watched before. The boring, typical answer would be Gurren Lagann. Not that it's boring, but it's the most blatant type of epic awe that most people immediately turn to.

Beyond that type, there are a few that pop into mind:

ARIA (the Animation, the Natural, the Origination): slice-of-life show about gondoliers-in-training on a terraformed Mars in the 23rd century. Very slow, but by the end of the entire thing, you will understand greatness.

Clannad (including After Story): It is about family and Tomoya's journey to understand what that means. Dango, dango, dango, dango, dango daikazoku.

Manabi Straight!: High school is optional in a future plagued with low birth rates. A bunch of high school girls get on the student council and try to revive their school festival. The same type of greatness as ARIA. MASSUGU GO.

Nanoha (and A's): Making friends through superior firepower. Divine Buster.

Higurashi (and Kai): Friends go insane and start brutally murdering each other. Will they be able to escape their destiny?

Kaiba: A search for a love through a dystopian future in which memories are transferrable. Explores what identity and life means.
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:43 pm

I'd normally answer Cowboy Bebop, which is for many the greatest series ever. But you want a happy ending... D: So here are a few others:

FLCL: Made of pure awesome, music and madness, this short OVA has several levels of meaning. There's some innuendo and fanservice but nothing to offending as far as I recall.

Samurai Champloo: What you get when you have feudal Japan era with contemporary culture undertones? Greatness. And lots of cool samurai action.

Trigun: Vash the Stampede, one of the most charismatic characters you'll ever meet wreaks (usually unintentionally) havoc in an Old West setting in other planet.

Slayers (the series): Teenaged female wizard Lina Inverse has enough power to cast city-razing spells. She and her ragtag band of heroes/mercenaries have hilarious adventures hunting for treasure, as a very serius and dramatic plot develops.

Baccano!: This one may be a little too gory but it's worth of it. It can be best described as a cocktail of mafia, immortal beings, incompetent thiefs, beautiful, silent assassins, pyromancers, psychopaths and the most corageous coward in fiction.
Maokun

Postby Roz » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:05 pm

You're going to need to qualify that with some genres and stuff you've watched before.

Ok, I'll try. I really don't mean to be vague but...if I like the anime it almost doesn't matter what the genre is. Genres have always confused me:red:. I know I like slice of life but I'm unsure what to call the others. These are some animes I have seen and really liked.

Slice of life: (Azumanga Daioh, Minami-Ke, Toradora)

Others (favs are in bold): Figure 17, Tsukikage Ran, Emma: A Victorian Romance, The Twelve Kingdoms, Last Exile, Shura no Toki, Haibane Renmei , Kanon, Clannad, The Third: Girl with the blue eye, K-On, Scrapped Princess, Martian Successor Nadesico, Trigun, Planetes and Kino's Journey.

Also, I like the movies Castle in the Sky, Howls Moving Castle, Nausicaa, My Neighbor Totoro, Wonderful Days, etc.

Baccano!: This one may be a little too gory but it's worth of it. It can be best described as a cocktail of mafia, immortal beings, incompetent thiefs, beautiful, silent assassins, pyromancers, psychopaths and the most corageous coward in fiction.

I have heard good things about this one but I really don't do gory.

I really appreciate you guys suggestions :thumb:. Thank you so much! I hope the anime I've listed above help some.
Roz

Postby blkmage » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:52 pm

That helps a lot.

First of all, if you haven't finished Clannad After Story, drop everything else and do that immediately. After you've given yourself a bit of time to calm down after you've finished it and BAWWWW'd yourself out, you'll probably want to scratch Higurashi off, since it's about as gory as, if not more than, Bacanno.

And based on the stuff that you listed, all of my other recommendations still stand. It seems like I had a pretty good guess at the type of stuff you might've been looking for.
blkmage

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:21 pm

MasterDias (post: 1338932) wrote:Le Chevalier d'Eon is basically a fantasy re-imagining of events leading up to the French Revolution. If you are familiar with European history at all, you might find it interesting, as pretty much every notable character except one or two are based on real-life historical figures. For what it's worth, Funimation (and ADV before them) rated it TV 14.

It can be a pretty bloody and violent show at points, with quite a few deaths, but I don't recall it being particularly over-the-top. But if anyone rated it mature, it's probably for this.

There are a fair amount of blatant references to monarchs and the aristocracy having lovers and mistresses, but I think that's about the extent of the sexual content. There are a few brief scenes of implied nudity, but...if I remember correctly...it was mostly obscured by objects/camera angles or is otherwise not particularly graphic.

There is a very heavy undercurrent of mysticism in the show as well. The main character is possessed by the spirit of his murdered sister, and a number of characters are "Psalmists," sorcerers who cast spells by using the book of Psalms.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know!! I do believe this is the next thing I'll be adding to my Netflix list!:)
Wyntre Rose

Postby steenajack » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:53 pm

Hey Roz, have you tried any of Miyazaki's other movies? There are reviews on almost all of them here. They are all dubbed (I reccomend the dubs by disney) and very clean.
Spirited Away-It does have spirits and stuff in it, but it's not demonic or anything. It's weird but very sweet and cute. My entire family and I love it.
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind-Very good. There is some violence with mild blood, but no gore. But the scene with the giant warrior is....gross.
Kiki's Delivery Service-This is the very first anime I've ever seen. The main character is a witch, but it's dealt with in a very cute and innocent way. Nothing to do with the occult.
Ponyo- It's in theaters now. Very cute, clean and REALLY good. Highly recomended. Don't let the fact that a couple of disney channel stars are in it turn you away. This movie is GREAT!
Porco Rosso- It's good but not really a favorite. Not an epic either. There is some minor innuendo, but nothing obscene.
Whisper of the Heart- One minor nudity scene, but it's not OBSCENE. Nothing is shown except this one girl in her underwear from the waist up. Other than that this movie is very clean, relaxing, slice of life type anime.
The Cat Returns-Sequel to one above. Not done by Miyazaki, but still very cute, clean, and funny.
I'd steer clear from Pom Poko and Princess Mononoke due to depressing endings, content, and bloodiness/gore. Miyazaki has also done a movie called Lupin the third: Castle of Caliostro. It's based off of a anime TV series with adult content, and (although I haven't seen the movie myself) from the review the movie appears to be pretty clean with some minor innuendo. But avoid the TV series. If I were you I'd check out the reviews on all of these. They have reviews on all of them here. I highly reccomend them all since they are all very good (in my opinion). But still it's up to you.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby impact777 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:04 am

I have a question concerning the anime "case closed". Unfortunately the review is very old, so I wonder if this series is still as good as in the beginning and if there are any negative contents in it. I would be very glad for an answer, because this series doesn't exist in German and it's always very expensive to import animes from the US. :( Thanks a lot for your help!
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:08 pm

impact777 wrote:I have a question concerning the anime "case closed". Unfortunately the review is very old, so I wonder if this series is still as good as in the beginning and if there are any negative contents in it. I would be very glad for an answer, because this series doesn't exist in German and it's always very expensive to import animes from the US. :( Thanks a lot for your help!

Detective Conan (aka Case Closed in the US) still has the same content as what the review has said.

The major question that you want to ask yourself is. Do you really want to spend your time on a series that keeps going and going and doesn't have an end.

Detective Conan is still airing in Japan and now up to ep 546 as of Aug 22.

Also, you have 13 movies and 7 OVA's of the series.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby MasterDias » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:31 pm

impact777 (post: 1341710) wrote:I have a question concerning the anime "case closed". Unfortunately the review is very old, so I wonder if this series is still as good as in the beginning and if there are any negative contents in it. I would be very glad for an answer, because this series doesn't exist in German and it's always very expensive to import animes from the US. :( Thanks a lot for your help!

Huh, I thought Detective Conan had aired in Europe, or was I mistaken?
Anyway, no, there shouldn't be any significant content changes later in the series.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby impact777 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:13 am

MasterDias (post: 1341888) wrote:Huh, I thought Detective Conan had aired in Europe, or was I mistaken?
Anyway, no, there shouldn't be any significant content changes later in the series.

Yes, you're right. The first 333 episodes aired in Germany, but only the 12 movies came out on dvd.

Thanks for your help guys. :)
impact777

Postby Lilac#18 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Are Kaze No Stigma and Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple good?
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

Lilac#18

Postby Derek_Is_Me » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:13 am

I'm into fantasy/sci-fi/action. Can anyone give me a good anime to watch? Cus I'm stuck in a rut about what to watch right now. T_T
Derek -The Daring Pokemon - A cool, totally awesome Pokemon that uses his power of song, medical skills and powers of cool to make others see things differently. He is not temperamental, but he likes to pull pranks and grins when you fall into his traps. Usually, he styles a fedora and prances around on all fours, he's all black with a white belly.

"Although I look into infinity. I only see the lords eyes, always shining upon my face and smiling in my heart. He will always be with me, no matter where I may go. Always watch over me lord. For I shall be eternal in your light."-Derek.
Derek_Is_Me

Location: Staring at you from your window outside. You have nice tastes in decor.

Postby That Dude » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Derek_Is_Me (post: 1343528) wrote:I'm into fantasy/sci-fi/action. Can anyone give me a good anime to watch? Cus I'm stuck in a rut about what to watch right now. T_T

Escaflowne, Ergo Proxy, Last Exile, Samurai 7... Just to name a few you might want to check out if you haven't already.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby blkmage » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Derek_Is_Me (post: 1343528) wrote:I'm into fantasy/sci-fi/action. Can anyone give me a good anime to watch? Cus I'm stuck in a rut about what to watch right now. T_T

What have you seen already or what are some examples of some stuff you liked?

Anyway, going through everything I've watched:

FMA: The obvious choice. If you're not watching the 2009 remake, you should.

CANAAN is shaping up to be a decent action show. Not sure about this one yet.

Darker than BLACK is a pretty good episodic action show.

Eureka seveN is a great real robot mecha show. There's also the movie to check out now too.

I'll throw in Soul Eater for a good looking shounen show.

Kara no Kyoukai is a fantastic movie series with some of the best fight scenes I've ever scene. The last movie is not out yet, though.

There's the trifecta of popular mecha shows from 2008: Code Geass, Macross Frontier, and Gundam 00.

Sengoku BASARA is a fairly entertaining take on Japan's Warring States period. A second season is coming in Winter 2010.

Sword of the Stranger is a fantastic wandering swordsman movie.

And I guess I'll throw in Nanoha, because the way Nanoha makes friends qualifies as action.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews