Showbread- The Fear of God

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby ich1990 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:25 pm

Kkun (post: 1324873) wrote:Fair enough, man, I think we just have a difference of opinion as far as personal taste goes (I think the last 75 seconds of it are great, for instance).

Yah, I think that is probably the case. We seem to like a lot of the same bands, just for different reasons.

Kkun wrote: HOWEVER, I think I should have defined my terms a little better. By mature, I mean that Josh has improved as far as writing original material goes. Most of their stuff has been ripped off from other bands like Refused, Nine Inch Nails, etc. I can't as easily place this song alongside some other band that I know Josh Dies likes that it sounds like, and I think that is the mark of improving as a songwriter, whether it is particularly more complex or not. As far as being darker, I was also referring to the sonic quality of it. Everything on this song is rougher around the edges compared to their earlier works. It's a very DIY punk rock, garage band quality that I think fits the band rather well since it suited other bands with similar styles like Refused and (earlier) The Blood Brothers.

I am afraid I am as illiterate in the genre of punk rock as it is possible to be, so your comparisons do me little good. On the plus side, the unoriginality of some of Showbread's songs doesn't really bother me, because I haven't listened to who they are ripping off. I will take your word on their songwriting maturity level.

It is good that you defined your terms, though, because I don't usually consider "rough" with "dark". For instance, I would consider lots of Virgin Black's material to be "dark", even though it is very melodic. Accounting for differences in vocabulary usage, I think we are on the same page on this one, though.

Kkun wrote:I disagree that this one features less complex guitar work compared to their other songs, though. "And the Smokers..." isn't particularly complex...it just has a variety of pretty basic power chord progressions (which is really all Josh Dies knows how to write, anyway).

Fair enough. Even though it is just basic power chords, however, I like the fact that they change the pitch of the overall drone more often on "Smokers".

Regardless, this song is more than enough to pique my interest. Hopefully the rest of the album follows a similar path.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Kkun » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:18 pm

ich1990 (post: 1324907) wrote:It is good that you defined your terms, though, because I don't usually consider "rough" with "dark". For instance, I would consider lots of Virgin Black's material to be "dark", even though it is very melodic. Accounting for differences in vocabulary usage, I think we are on the same page on this one, though.

Yeah, I think my main problem there was that my frame of reference for "rough" equating with "dark" stems mainly from Age of Reptiles which is a very polished and "bright" sounding album. When I think of particularly dark albums (I know this does you no good, but hey, I'm just trying to explain my reasons for using those words in those ways :B), it's stuff like Nine Inch Nails which uses very jagged, synthetic sounds to create a sound that I would consider particularly dark. I don't think it's necessarily a one-to-one correlation which is why, with stuff like Virgin Black, you can have melody and create a very dark sound. I think it's possible to be have both. I think in Showbread's case, Josh Dies takes a cue from bands like NIN, and attain what I perceive to be a darker sound through the use of rougher sonic textures and dirtier production like they've done in this song. That's all I was getting at. : D I think we're on the same page now. Or not.

Either way, I'm excited about this album. I need something new and heavy.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Tommy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:27 am

The new song is a perfect balance of No Sir and Age of with some A/N sprinkled on the top.

This album is going to take raw to the next level.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:07 pm

I thought the same thing when I listened to the song.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Shiningmonk_e » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:33 pm

AuuauuuauGH!!
I just listened to the new song and it was amazing!!
"Who is this?" they said to Me
'That the wind and waves obey
Come, let's hang Him on a tree
That His reign should pass away'
But here I am I say to you
Though you turn away, it is My will
To love you for forevermore
Peace be still, peace be still
-Showbread-the Sky(alpha)
Shiningmonk_e

Postby That Dude » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:36 pm

The song pretty much kicks face in...I don't think I like it quite as much as the No Sir stuff...But if everything is pretty much like this it'll be so raw, you'd get in trouble with the FDA just for serving this CD.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Kkun » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:32 am

Merry Christmas, children.

Track 7, "The Great Emasculation."
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d9925fe3caf53c90391d7d881749d3a7e04e75f6e8ebb871

It's just as punk rock as "Nothing Matters Anymore." I'm still enjoying the direction they've headed.
Kkun

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:57 am

Umyes. That is faaaantastic. People are right when they say that Fear of God is kind of a fusion between No Sir and Age of Reptiles. I love it. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby That Dude » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:32 am

Super-freakin' radtastic! Seriously so raw that it'll literally melt off faces!
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Love the new song.

Also, you can hear 20 second clips of all the songs here:

http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/cdreviews/TheFearOfGod.asp
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Kkun » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Shepherd, No Sheep sounds like Weezer.

This is going to be the best album ever.
Kkun

Previous

Return to Jam Session