Where Can I Buy Foreign Songs Legally?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Where Can I Buy Foreign Songs Legally?

Postby Sanji07 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:31 pm

I was wondering if there was any way for me to get foreign mp3s for my iPod legally at a trusted site for as low as possible. I was using Limewire, but I found out that was illegal and it caused a lot of bugs and viruses to occur on other people's comps. Any help is appreciated. ^_^
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
Servant of: Hypersocks-the leader of extrolling hyperness! ^-^
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue May 12, 2009 2:56 pm

The most reputable place would be off of Itunes ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Sanji07 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:04 pm

That's where I get most of my songs. The only problem is that iTunes doesn't have the foreign songs I'm looking for (if any). What about Rhapsody?
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Postby shooraijin » Tue May 12, 2009 3:22 pm

If you don't mind old-fashioned physical media you can rip, http://www.cdjapan.co.jp has lots of good stuff. Not cheap, but good, and a decent collection of anime OST and J-pop. Bought a lot from them over the years. No bootlegs either.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Sanji07 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks I'll check it out. ^_^
Sanji07

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue May 12, 2009 3:39 pm

Jbox offers iTunes cards for the Japanese iTunes setup and, last I saw, instructions on how to get yourself set up with the foreign J-iTunes client.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Sanji07 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:50 pm

Really? That's awesome! Thanks.

I ran into a problem. Do I need a credit card from Japan to make a Japanese iTunes account? Or do I just need to use a different one from my US account?
Sanji07

Postby Momo-P » Tue May 12, 2009 4:19 pm

Sanji07 (post: 1311186) wrote:Really? That's awesome! Thanks.

I ran into a problem. Do I need a credit card from Japan to make a Japanese iTunes account? Or do I just need to use a different one from my US account?

If you read the info about the Japanese iTunes card, Jbox gives you a way to avoid the Japanese address/credit card/etc. issue. ^^
Momo-P

Postby Sanji07 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Hmm...I'll have to go through those instructions again. Let me see if I can fix this.

Edit: I don't have a Japanese iTunes card to redeem with yet-I'm just trying to go on and make the account.
Sanji07

Postby LadyRushia » Tue May 12, 2009 8:15 pm

Moved to Jam Session.

Also, I've bought Japanese songs on iTunes without having to switch over or anything. There's a place you can go where you have a list of all the different genres they have and they have Japanese stuff.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby blkmage » Tue May 12, 2009 8:30 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1311278) wrote:Moved to Jam Session.

Also, I've bought Japanese songs on iTunes without having to switch over or anything. There's a place you can go where you have a list of all the different genres they have and they have Japanese stuff.

It depends on whether your country's iTunes store has what you're looking for. I know a few years ago, Canada's iTunes store had a really poor selection of Christian music, but now it's about the same as the US store. And the US store has a lot more gaming soundtracks than Canada's store. Similarly, there's Japanese stuff outside of Japan, but Japan's iTunes store still has an overwhelmingly larger selection.

Things seem to be getting better though. I mean, I was able to buy a Vocaloid album from Canada's iTunes store. That is amazing to me.

That's where I get most of my songs. The only problem is that iTunes doesn't have the foreign songs I'm looking for (if any). What about Rhapsody?

I have access to Rhapsody at work, and at the moment, there is nothing that I recognize there in the Japanese section except for Utada Hikaru. And I suspect that it's because she's been going out of her way to make licensing agreements in North America as part of her English releases. Basically, there's no Japanese stuff on Rhapsody.
blkmage

Postby Sanji07 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:25 am

Can you guys tell me where to go to find Japanese music?
Sanji07

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed May 13, 2009 11:15 am

Japan would be a good start.
Fish and Chips

Postby EricTheFred » Wed May 13, 2009 11:49 am

As the prior posts in this thread note, there are a lot of pitfalls to trying to find a reliable direct download source that is legal. I just bUy the CDs online and load them onto my computer to stock my MP3 player.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp was already mentioned. Another site for Asian CDs (mostly Japan, Korea and China) is Yesasia.com

Fish and Chips (post: 1311386) wrote:Japan would be a good start.

The Fish never fails to deliver practical advice.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed May 13, 2009 1:07 pm

I am a helper.
Fish and Chips

Postby shooraijin » Wed May 13, 2009 1:08 pm

+1 for Yesasia.com.

+.003 for Fish and Chips.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby airichan623 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:45 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1311177) wrote:Jbox offers iTunes cards for the Japanese iTunes setup and, last I saw, instructions on how to get yourself set up with the foreign J-iTunes client.

arigato, tomo-san!!!!! i m totally gonna do this

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby airichan623 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:46 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1311394) wrote:As the prior posts in this thread note, there are a lot of pitfalls to trying to find a reliable direct download source that is legal. I just bUy the CDs online and load them onto my computer to stock my MP3 player.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp was already mentioned. Another site for Asian CDs (mostly Japan, Korea and China) is Yesasia.com

The Fish never fails to deliver practical advice.

note: yesasia is overpriced: avoid at all cost. if possible use ebay or amazon

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby EricTheFred » Sun May 17, 2009 12:38 pm

airichan623 (post: 1312503) wrote:note: yesasia is overpriced: avoid at all cost. if possible use ebay or amazon

I don't tend to buy anything from an Asian-based business that is available from a business here in the US, for exactly this reason. However, a great many Asian CDs are not available on Amazon. Most of what I have purchased from Yesasia and CDJapan are in this category.

I have found eBay a very good way to buy pirated material, which is why I avoid it now.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Wed May 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Azier the Swordsman

Postby shooraijin » Thu May 21, 2009 6:26 am

Looks promising. Hopefully they expand their selection.

shooraijin

Postby Sanji07 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Sorry to bump this thread, but when I was trying to make a Japanese iTunes account, it said this in the Terms and Conditions:

"3. Japan ONLY. The Service is available to you only in Japan and is not available in any other location. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside of the available territory. iTunes may use technologies to verify such compliance."

'Just thought I would post this incase someone else tried doing the same thing. Oh, and another question. Is it legal to get MP3s off of nicosound.com? I've just been curious abou it.
Sanji07

Postby blkmage » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm assuming nicosound rips MP3s from Nico Nico Douga videos, in which case, it depends on the video. I usually use the same kind of thing to get VOCALOID songs, but otherwise, it's the equivalent of ripping stuff from YouTube.
blkmage

Postby Sanji07 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:49 pm

Yes nicosound does do that. Is it legal to use it for Vocaloid songs but not other songs? Can you explain?
Sanji07

Return to Jam Session