Which movie had the best John Williams score

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Which movie had the best John Williams score

Postby rocklobster » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:53 am

John Williams--the king of movie scores! He will always be my favorite composer of movies. So I thought I'd ask which one you people liked best?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Midori » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:54 am

Uhh, Lord of the Rings wasn't John Williams, it was Howard Shore. Anyway, I'm voting on Star Wars, though the Harry Potter movies get a close second.
Midori

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:54 am

Howard Shore did Lord of the Rings, actually.

I picked Star Wars. That's classic John Williams right there, especially the score for A New Hope. But I'm also really fond of the Superman theme.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:16 am

I picked Indiana Jones because that's the tune I catch myself whistling the most. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:55 am

It's not one of the choices, but for me, the answer is "Schindler's List"
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby rocklobster » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:49 pm

Well, let's just pretend that the 4th choice is other ok?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:56 pm

Hmmmm....I love all of those scores (even though LOTR is Howard Shore's baby)....but I would have to say I like the scores to Schindiler's List and Jurassic Park the best....but it is hard to say with Williams....he is outstanding.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 15, 2009 12:57 am

I like the Harry Potter theme, but most of those soundtracks just don't cut it for me.

Star Wars, however, is classic. Awesome music; you just need to hear a few notes to know whether Darth Vader or a Jedi or whoever is coming on screen. I especially like his music for Episode I: The Phantom Menace. "Duel of the Fates" is THE MOST EPIC SONG IN THE WORLD!!! :rock:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby KagayakiWashi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:36 pm

It is hard to say. I picked Star Wars because of what it did for film scores at the time; it brought back the symphonic score in the midst of a time when movies relied on mostly pop songs (Saturday Night Fever is a good example). Not only that, but it was John Williams' first major breakthrough.....at least when I think about him and his music. It's close resemblance to Wagner's Ring is also a plus. This is why I think it is his best.

Now my personal favorites are Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Slave Children's Crusade, Short Round's Motif, The Mine Cart Chase......really good Williams), Hook, and The Empire Strikes Back (which just might be his absolute best.....listen to track leading up to the End Credits as well as the End Credits themselves.....remarkable stuff)
Of a surety, no one has created such memorable themes for movies as John Williams.......

However, I still think the greatest film score composer is Ennio Morricone.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:45 am

Ghost Busters.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:06 am

Hmmm. Seems I'm the only one who liked Indiana Jones more than Star Wars. :)

Actually, I think the moody and sinister jazz-like theme for Spielberg's Catch me if you Can is actually a very unappreciated composition by Williams, quite possibly because it's so different from his usual movie scores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mkM-XCE3v4
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Return to Jam Session