YES! The Golden Compass bombed

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

YES! The Golden Compass bombed

Postby rocklobster » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:12 am

Once again, Hollywood has made a movie that attacks Christianity. And once again it has failed. The Golden Compass has received low reviews and made "only" 26.1 million in its opening week. Although it did make #1, that's not a good profit. So, we win again! When will Hollywood learn?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:50 am

Well, technically, I believe the movie took out the more explicit stuff... Not that they'd be able to once they got to the third book, from what my friend tells me. He said he was really waiting for the last movie because there was a scene he wanted to see, but that once it was released, it'd be exponentially more controversial than Da Vinci code.

But, yeah, it brought a tear of joy to my eye when I saw the sales... But a tear of sadness to see there wasn't any movie that could beat it that weekend, still.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Cap'n Nick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:51 am

It looks like The Golden Compass won't be the next Da Vinci Code, and thank goodness. As annoying as it was, The Da Vinci Code actually did Christianity a little good by leading many people to a better understanding of church history and of Christ himself when they investigated the author's claims and found them to be blatantly false.

Had The Golden Compass received the same amount of attention, however, it would have led to a discussion in which Christianity doesn't fare nearly as well. Unlike those in the Dan Brown novel, Pullman's central problem doesn't evaporate when the light hits it. If anything, it gets worse. Here on Earth we simply don't have the perspective to reconcile an all-perfect, all-loving God with the hateful, work-in-progress place in which we live. It's only through the gift of faith that we can come to trust in God despite these things, and faith isn't something you can show somebody in a history book. I sincerely believe that had The Golden Compass generated the same level of furor as The Da Vinci Code, the resulting half-baked defenses would have been our biggest disgrace and a continued stumbling block to future ministry.
Cap'n Nick

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:32 am

I am happy that this movie didn't do well... it didn't deserve to do well. I am sure it was a great movie, with a good plot...but the message that the books present is something I can't agree with..^^;

I almost feel bad for the fans though...is that silly of me or what?

And if I understood CapN'nick enough (after just waking up ten minutes ago) I agree...because of this movie it sort presented a lot of controversy and many Christians just spouted off "I am not going to see this movie, it bashes Christianity." where many non-Christians would think we are completely bonkers. -3-

Oh well, it's a movie...I'm not gonna fret about how well it does anymore.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:55 am

I actually already had someone look at me like I was an idiot for not wanting to see "Saved" when I said I don't like movies that directly mock my beliefs. She got really offended, even. *sigh*

I keep way too much in when I'm at school... It's gonna bite me eventually. I should just own up more to who I am, but then all the crap I've gone along with here will come back and bite me, and any message I may have... (sorry for the monologueing... man I miss firefox and its auto-spellcheck...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:07 am

Bobtheduck wrote:I actually already had someone look at me like I was an idiot for not wanting to see "Saved" when I said I don't like movies that directly mock my beliefs. She got really offended, even. *sigh*

I keep way too much in when I'm at school... It's gonna bite me eventually. I should just own up more to who I am, but then all the crap I've gone along with here will come back and bite me, and any message I may have... (sorry for the monologueing... man I miss firefox and its auto-spellcheck...)

Unfortunately, for me, I had NO idea what the show was about.. my friend told me there was a redeeming message to that movie...

I kinda got a little irratated with that person...ugh >,< It was on last night and my parents were like "What's this?" and I was like "TURN IT! TURN IT!"

But yeah I know what you mean some of the fans of the Golden Compass are pretty upset with us right now...and saying how closed minded we are for not going to see a movie.

I laugh at them, for being so hypocritical.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:10 am

44% from RT is not good XD

Though, knowing that they did kinda water it down, I wanted to see it someday. :\
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:50 am

RT?

What's that mean?
Bobtheduck

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:58 am

Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kenshin17 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:17 am

I am happy to hear this.

I was enticed by the commercials, epic scenes and such, but when I read a Christian review and read about the author, my desire to see it evaporated.

God defends Himself better then any of us could, and he has just done so again.
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:21 am

My stupid theater still doesn't have it, or I would've gone and seen it. :\

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Sakura15 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:29 am

I have to say I'm glad the movie didn't do well. Even if it looks like a really cool movie if it's bashing Christianity I don't really care to see it, atleast not in theaters I may rent it when it comes out just to see it for myself and be able to judge it. But I've also heard that they don't really show much of the controversy till the third book, so it'll probably be the same with the movies?
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:43 am

I think I must be getting too old now,but really where has the respect gone?I think that the 'triumphalism'of such an attitude that is shown in the title of this thread shows how unChristlike some of us are becoming more and more(and sadly I include myself in the category as well).
mitsuki lover

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:47 am

Why? Why is that a problem? Because we're happy that an entryway to a very blatant, preachy, anti-christian book series wasn't successful in movie form, we're being unchristlike? Give me a break.

If the author's intentions were laid out plain as day (by the author, mind you) you may have a point. His books are a calculated attack on our beliefs.
Bobtheduck

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:00 pm

We ought to be happy when an enemy tactic fails.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Stephen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:13 pm

I will be happy, when people stop doing stupid things. Such as, making a thread again after another of the same topic gets locked.
Stephen

Return to General Entertainment