Beowulf!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Beowulf!

Postby ilikegir33 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:47 pm

So does anyone else want to see this movie? It looks awesome. I'm gonna see it probably today.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:14 pm

I saw it with my sister and one of her friends. I won't spoil it, but the movie is nothing like the epic poem it was supposedly based on. Very big disappointment.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:45 pm

I
AM
BEOWULF

and

THIS
IS
SPARTA!

Hmm, which one is better?

I dunno, the movie looks pretty cool, but I've never read the poem, so yeah.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:12 pm

Yep. It is way different from the epic poem (I'm still reeling from the study guide). Like usual, hehe.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:49 pm

Should you go see this movie, be forewarned in that it REALLY pushes the limits of the PG-13 rating in terms of violence and nudity. And the fact that it's CG doesn't make it any better. It's still that extreme in those terms.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:16 am

I wouldn't say it was pushing the limits of PG13 so much as the ratings board saw "Hmm, Cartoon" and decided that no cartoon should never NOT be for kids. But yes, this movie should be rated R, fair warning.

As for the interpretation, I rather liked it. They added some interesting themes and expanded on others. Is it the original saga? Nah, not really. I found it utterly enjoyable, though. It seemed to be written from the perspective of, "this is what really happened and then the story changed as it was told and retold."
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Maledicte » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:21 am

I didn't mind the story so much. It's just the way that it was told I didn't like.

What's really irritating to me is that for such a vast 3D animated movie, the main action only took place in one of two areas. A dining hall and a cave.
Maledicte

Postby Technomancer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:14 am

I came across an interesting essay on the new movie:
http://www.salon.com/opinion/kamiya/2007/11/20/beowulf/
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby ilikegir33 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:02 pm

K. Ayato wrote:Should you go see this movie, be forewarned in that it REALLY pushes the limits of the PG-13 rating in terms of violence and nudity. And the fact that it's CG doesn't make it any better. It's still that extreme in those terms.

Your advice is totally right. I saw it and it was AWESOME! It wasn't the violence that was bad, it was the nudity. Angelina Jolie. In nothing but liquid gold. That's just...weird.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:31 pm

Of course it has to be Angelina Jolie :eyeroll:

Still, I figured it wouldn't quite be like the poem, but still wanna see it :)
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:37 pm

Don't forget those spiked heel things attached to her feet.

K. Ayato

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:52 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Of course it has to be Angelina Jolie :eyeroll:

Still, I figured it wouldn't quite be like the poem, but still wanna see it :)

Of course. She's the archetypal temptress that draws you away from your lady!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:48 am

Etoh*the*Greato wrote:Of course. She's the archetypal temptress that draws you away from your lady!

Personally, with Grendal being a dragon like monster (from what I remember) I always thought of his mother to being some cranky, naggy dragon-thing^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Puguni » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:54 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Personally, with Grendal being a dragon like monster (from what I remember) I always thought of his mother to being some cranky, naggy dragon-thing^^

LOL, nice image. "Do your homework! Go to your room!"

I didn't see the movie, but I laughed when in the trailer Beowolf said, "I am Beowolf," because it felt like the, "This is Sparta," line from 300.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Felix » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:00 pm

I. AM. BEOWULF!! XD

I just saw it tonight. It wasn't terrible, but I was kinda dissapointed, because it felt like it really tarnished the spirit of the poem. But all well, it was still pretty cool, except for the aformentioned nudity, which was quite shocking to say the least. The animation was quite gorgeous. Many times I forgot that it was even animated.
Felix

Postby KBMaster » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:57 pm

My english class might go to see that. It's doubtful, however, since my teacher learned of Angelina's Jolie's nekkedness.

I, personally, will not see it unless a.) I can go on a school field trip for a low price or b.) it's on TV and nothing better is on.
KBMaster

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:14 am

Puguni wrote:LOL, nice image. "Do your homework! Go to your room!"

I didn't see the movie, but I laughed when in the trailer Beowolf said, "I am Beowolf," because it felt like the, "This is Sparta," line from 300.

They totally chopped that whole line wrong in the commercials. When it's in the context of what scene it's really the culmination of a really cool speech.

Actually I think Grendel was pretty close to how he was described in the saga. Granted I haven't read the dang thing since World Lit I four years ago, but still.
Dragon meant different things to them than it does to us. Or at least it wasn't restricted to what we think of as dragons. Also, she did change forms as I recall. They hinted at her being a big reptilian dragon thing in the first scenes she was in where you were only getting a reflection. She was only humanoid for her dealings with humans. The second son also transformed. Grendels problem was that he appeared to be stuck between the two forms.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:51 am

From the poem it would appear that Grendel and his mother were unthinking beasts than anything else.I would rather believe that they were something like our Big Foot in appearance.
Yes they did steal from the Danes,but they had no sense of the value of what they had stolen.
Over all though the importance of Beowulf is about the title character's heroism and self sacrifice.
Note:The dragon is from the end of Beowulf's life when he kills a lizard that is terrorizing the kingdom.
Further Note:Beowulf was a Geat and not a Dane.
mitsuki lover

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:54 pm

I was unhappy when I saw this. I loved Beowulf, and I knew this would be another utter perversion of literature in the name of a easy buck.
I think the 300 and Beowulf look a lot like another retro trip to the 80's that's been the cultural fad recently. It's a return to the mind-numbing, uber-machismo that was in so many 80's movies; Rambo, Conan, BeastMaster, Rock and Roll Nightmare (easily the most awesomely bad movie I've ever seen, and only watched the final fight scene, but that's what happens when a horror movie is made by the lead singer of a Canadian metal band).
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Danyasaur » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:57 pm

Personally, I grew up reading some Beowulf - one book in particular - and from everything that I've heard of this movie I find it a disgusting perversion of Beowulf's character. I don't think I ever want to see it, even if 'other' parts are good.

Another childhood memory smashed underneath the careless hand of Hollywood....
[color="DimGray"]I don't believe that I would die if I saw you face to face;
but that my spirit would become so alive it took my body's place.

- Danya[/color]
Danyasaur

Postby mathgrant » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:50 pm

Coincidentally, this movie was brought up in our youth group. Nobody seemed to think high school kids needed to be seeing it. XD Unfortunately, they had to. The teachers had no clue about the sexual crap. x.x
MOES
Wii: 6324 9743 7460 3573 || WarioWare DIY: 3009 1173 0734
mathgrant

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:04 pm

Not really any sexual content. Just... Innuendo and lots of goldpaint covered Angelina Jolie.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Myoti » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:38 am

As for the interpretation, I rather liked it. They added some interesting themes and expanded on others. Is it the original saga? Nah, not really. I found it utterly enjoyable, though. It seemed to be written from the perspective of, "this is what really happened and then the story changed as it was told and retold."

This is how I preferred looking at it, and in that mindset I thought the movie was great; unfortunately everyone else I know that went to see it (and apparently many people here) on stuck on disliking because it didn't "follow the story" or, as some said, "tarnished/perversed the meaning of the poem."

Correct if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original story changed numerous times (mostly by the church)? How exactly then would anyone know what the actual "meaning" of the story was (if any)?

Actually I think Grendel was pretty close to how he was described in the saga.

Grendel was never really flat-out described; someone in one of our High School Lit. classes did a project where he made basically a collage of "hideous things" around a dark form, stating it as Grendel to go along with how his appearance was never totally told to us.

But yes, Grendel still seemed pretty well-handled.
Myoti

Return to General Entertainment