update on the format wars/my opinion of best part of hi def

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

update on the format wars/my opinion of best part of hi def

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:36 am

First the update:

Well, I was reading on the Blu Ray site and although Warner will be releasing all the Harry Potter movies on both formats, they've actually decided to go strictly Blu Ray probably next year, since sales of 300 in Blu were extremely impressive (it was the first Blu Ray I bought too^^) Sooo for those thinking of HD the ONLY studio selection you'll be able to buy from, are Paramount/Dreamworks and Universal. That's about it. Even then, I think Universal has given in to Blu Ray a bit, since apparently DVDs marked as 'Alliance Ent' say Universal on it at my work and I've seen them as Blu Ray, but I'm not too sure if they really are from Universal (all I can find is New Line Cinema), or if they usually get returned WITH Universal DVDs. But yeah, that's where it's at. Oh, and don't forget that since HD isn't too global, that anime will probably be strictly Blu Ray too.

Ok, onto part 2...

What I think is personally the best part of hi def? The disk cases! The enormous space and hi quality is awsome, but personally I LOVE the cases! Honestly, I've NEVER understood why DVD cases have to be tall, it's REALLY unnecessary AND you have no idea how many loose disks I've come across at work :/ Trust me, it's not fun buying a brand new DVD and finding out it was loose, shaking around the case and scratched up :/ So the shortness seems to solve it. Also, the skinny factor! It allows the shortage of maybe 1 disk in a boxset, but can still be real skinny, like my Planet Earth box set. Skinniness saves on space too, and really, that extra wide space isn't even necessary unless it comes with a huge booklet, and once again susceptible to becoming loose :/ With game cases, Game Cube and PS2 actually NEED to be tall for the memory card slot, but I still have no explanation why DVD cases are so tall (anyone even know?) PS3 cases are nice too, short but still a little thick for the booklets to go with it.

So yeah, that's my info/thoughts for the day. Comments?
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby creed4 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:21 pm

That news I've been waiting for, I have been hoping that Blu-ray would win, much better format
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:03 pm

Another little tidbit I found out: Spiderman 3 sold around 126,000 copies in the first 6 days when it took over a week for Transformers in HD to reach 50,000. At my work, no one has bought either copies of those yet, people still alot into their DVDs. Funny thign is though, the Transformers DVD sold ALOT better than Spiderman 3 did. So yeah, there's another plus on Blu Ray sales there.

Blu ray also has Planet Earth, and that is just such a beautiful series :D Don't have a hi def tv yet, but effective none the less^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Ichigo_89 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:53 pm

I think Blu-ray is definately dominating and will eventually erase HD-dvds. And it does look like anime is favoring Blu-Ray. *looks at the new release of Jin-Roh* Blu-ray only release...hmmmm.
Ichigo_89

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:33 pm

I personally would wait and see what happens.It might be that Blu-Ray wins out or it might be that HD-DVD wins out.It took years for VHS to win out over Betamax and I see the same thing happening year.We won't know the real winner for a long while and the fight has just started.
mitsuki lover

Return to General Entertainment