DBZ Live Action: confirmed!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

DBZ Live Action: confirmed!

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:32 pm

This has probably been mentioned SOMEWHERE on the boards? If so, I apologize... I did look.

OMGOSH it's happening, just like the rumors said! They said they will start filming this year, and it should be done by July!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-09-01/live-action-dbz-set-to-shoot-in-montreal

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=5d8321ec-4d55-40bd-ae6c-742949303ea9

Thoughts? Fears?

I really wonder how they will do this...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:36 pm

wow. this was one of the last animes i would've guessed would be released as a Live Action...i don't really know what to say. if they pull this one out right (and i mean pull it out REALLY RIGHT), then it could be pretty crazy. don't know what the story would be since the series is so freakin' long...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:52 pm

Americanized DBZ... something I'd probably snicker at once I'd see trailers^^ Not that a Japanese version would be any better^^ Just one of those things that should just stay as an animation^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Nate » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:13 pm

All hands brace for suckage!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:36 pm

Somehow, I can somehow see an appearance by The Rock or something to the like... just the flavor of movie that it go towards.

Tenshi no Ai

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:15 am

Nate wrote:All hands brace for suckage!

XDDD

well the Transformer's movie was awesome....>_> Maybe it won't be THAT bad? :x
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby creed4 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:41 am

this could be cool, lets give it a chance
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:21 am

ChristianKitsune wrote:XDDD

well the Transformer's movie was awesome....>_> Maybe it won't be THAT bad? :x

That's a little different. Sci-fi stuff has been done before, like Terminator etc. But this, involves people going "AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" and gaining flaming bleached hair out of nowhere, shooting ball of energy at each other.

Tenshi no Ai

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:16 am

creed4 wrote:[color="Black"]this could be cool, lets give it a chance[/color]

That's what they said about New Coke.

And any movie they make could never recapture the feeling of DBZ. Unless they made fifty movies in which nothing happened.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby USSRGirl » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:40 am

.... I'm with Nate on this. I got a bad feeling they're going to ruin it. I wonder who will play Vegeta though?
USSRGirl

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:28 pm

If ANN didn't mention it I probably wouldn't believe it (given how many rumors and failed starts there have been for a DBZ movie). Provided they get a decent martial arts choreographer, use special effects wisely, and keep the action moving it might not be too much of a travesty. I'm with almost everyone in general cynicism except...

...can you imagine how hilarious it would be if anyone in the film said "It's over 9000"?
uc pseudonym

Postby sstohru » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:04 pm

I'm excited about this and worried about it at the same time. They better not mess up my DBZ. Then again, a live action DBZ will no doubt be hard to pull off. I wonder how they'd make Frieza look?
sstohru

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:31 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:...can you imagine how hilarious it would be if anyone in the film said "It's over 9000"?

WHOA.

I would watch it JUST to see that. XD

I really can't believe they're actually going through with this. XD How will they manage the hairstyles? The Super Saiyan transformations? Every time I try to imagine it, I can only think of the Live Action Sailor Moon.

Shudder.

I'll probably go to see it for laughs, though I imagine I'll be getting dragged along either way--one of my best friends is a massive DBZ fan. She'll either be pleased or disgusted to hear this. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Debitt » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:51 pm

Nate wrote:And any movie they make could never recapture the feeling of DBZ. Unless they made fifty movies in which nothing happened.

Nate has a rather excellent point here.

All I have to say -- hair. I've seen zillions of DBZ cosplays, and the hair has never been pretty. Usually I'd have more faith in a professional studio, but....

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:05 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:WHOA.

I would watch it JUST to see that. XD

yeah. my friends showed me that pointless video too. i can't believe it got so many views. that movie was a total waste of time!!

but anyways, i don't think the producers would decide to make a DBZ live-action movie unless they really know what they're doing, and they have a lot of stuff planned. i'm just waiting for a trailer...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Solid Ronin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:25 pm

...This could be awesome...

Its not a hard movie to make at all:

Good choreograph
Good costume design
Good CGI...

Good DBZ Movie!

I just hope they don't pull a "Transformers" and make the final battle Super Sayian Level 5 suck with Master Roshi saving the whole universe.
Solid Ronin

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:39 pm

You know, about the hair...

It's not as though studios haven't changed the designs of characters in the past. See the recent Transformers movie for a good example.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby MasterDias » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:11 pm

Cognitive Gear wrote:You know, about the hair...

It's not as though studios haven't changed the designs of characters in the past. See the recent Transformers movie for a good example.

This is what I was thinking about myself. I doubt anyone could take the costumes (at least the Super Saiyans) seriously otherwise.

I'm generally fairly skeptical however. If they hire a director who is really loyal to the source material, then they might make a decent sci fi/action movie.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Oh, boy.

Live action ThunderCats, live action DBZ, they're just full of brilliant and promising new ideas for cinematic art this year.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Solid Ronin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:18 pm

MasterDias wrote:This is what I was thinking about myself. I doubt anyone could take the costumes (at least the Super Saiyans) seriously otherwise.

I'm generally fairly skeptical however. If they hire a director who is really loyal to the source material, then they might make a decent sci fi/action movie.

I always thought that the Saiyan Armor was pretty cool, It would have to be fine tuned for sure, but the overall costume I thought looked pretty cool.
Solid Ronin

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:31 pm

Doubleshadow wrote:Oh, boy.

Live action ThunderCats, live action DBZ, they're just full of brilliant and promising new ideas for cinematic art this year.

I have nothing to add. I just wanted to say that this is the most accurately sarcastic post I've seen in this thread, and I approve. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:08 pm

No one else thinks a real person's hair turning golden and flying into the air would look somewhat cool? I'm presuming they wouldn't do the massive wig thing, because that would just be silly. Manga art is meant to approximate life; going the other way is an intrinsically bad idea.

jon_jinn wrote:yeah. my friends showed me that pointless video too. i can't believe it got so many views. that movie was a total waste of time!!

Probably, but you have to admit that the original line is funny simply because it is read in such a bizarre fashion. In any case, I think it makes a pretty good meme.
uc pseudonym

Postby Doubleshadow » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:28 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:No one else thinks a real person's hair turning golden and flying into the air would look somewhat cool? I'm presuming they wouldn't do the massive wig thing, because that would just be silly.

Out of the entire concept that's what you find silly? XD

I would have to see the script to get a better idea of just what they plan to do, but most of the video game/comic/manga adaptations to the big screen have been only mediocre or poor, probably because all involved believe their target demographic will watch the movie regardless of quality and no one else will even consider it because of the perpetually low expectations for the genre. That's not to say a real good, solid movie can't earn new respect for a genre that no one takes seriously, like LOTR did for the fantasy genre, but I fear this will be another cheap movie designed to solely to earn money.

The Sundries
Doubleshadow

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:23 pm

I would go see it if Vic Mignogna played Broly. Totally.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Tommy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:38 pm

"It's over 9000!" is the "They're-Taking-The-Hobbits-To-Isengard" of DBZ! XD

By the way, there is no possible way they can take an American actor, give him Goku's hair, and have him not look like a complete loser.

Well, besides Chuck Norris, but if he was in that movie, it would not be a movie, but rather a two second clip of nothingness.

Anyways, it takes 90 episodes of Dragonball Z to have Goku screw in a lightbulb, so I doubt they could make a movie and have remotely anything happen
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:31 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:I would go see it if Vic Mignogna played Broly. Totally.

.rai//

Vic says that role nearly always KILLS his voice. XDDDD

At the convention I went to he talked about how scared he was of Broly, and how everytime he finishes a movie he is told there is another one...and everytime they tell him the first thing they say is:

"Vic, I'm sorry....." XXDDDDDD

poor guy.

Tom, I so might draw a comic about that lightbulb thing >:3
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:32 pm

Sometimes I think about how this wouldn't have to be a bad movie, but then I come back to reality. To be a good movie it would have to somewhat abandon some of the original feel of DBZ, and that wouldn't happen.

Doubleshadow wrote:Out of the entire concept that's what you find silly? XD

Yup. Dragonball Z was like something that might happen down the street except for those wacky haircuts.

What I meant was that in the field of hair styles, wigs are one of the silliest ways to go.
uc pseudonym

Postby Doubleshadow » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:05 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:What I meant was that in the field of hair styles, wigs are one of the silliest ways to go.

That's what I meant, too. XD

If I want to see a guy with yellow, spiky hair that is standing on end and waving around in the air in real life, all I have to do is stand on the street corner and wait for one of the metrosexuals to walk by on a windy day.

The Sundries
Doubleshadow

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:54 pm

ChristianKitsune wrote:Vic says that role nearly always KILLS his voice. XDDDD

At the convention I went to he talked about how scared he was of Broly, and how everytime he finishes a movie he is told there is another one...and everytime they tell him the first thing they say is:

"Vic, I'm sorry....." XXDDDDDD

poor guy.

Tom, I so might draw a comic about that lightbulb thing >:3

Yeah, I know. I just think it would be funny to see him dressed up as Broly in a DBZ movie. Come on. That would be hilarious.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:35 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:No one else thinks a real person's hair turning golden and flying into the air would look somewhat cool?

Oh. Oh I do... I do...
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Next

Return to General Entertainment