American Remakes

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

American Remakes

Postby Mimiru14 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:32 pm

I was working on a bit of a thesis (If you wanna call it that) and I wanted to know what people think of them.I personally think that if the director takes the time to research the original plot and sticks to it,then it'd be fine...
[color="Magenta"]"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default."
— J.K. Rowling [/color]

[color="Plum"]"It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's what makes it cool"[/color]:thumb:
Mimiru14

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:15 pm

Fish and Chips

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:54 pm

For me, it really depends. After reading the blog, yeah I do realize that Hollywood will make movies to cater to the North American audiences. Sad with what the general publics "wants" most of the time though :/

With the example of Ringu/The Ring. Saw The Ring and thought it was good, myself. It didn't exactly have an overdose of violence and gore, give or take a scene or two. Ringu was... interesting. Alot more psychological but sloooow. It just didn't... meet to my expectations. Explained alot more in a sense that The Ring didn't. Never did see Ringu 2 but The Ring 2 (which I believe has an entirely different basis) was sooo funny^^ Random evil deer? Ooook....

Dark Water I think is the only other horror remake I've seen and I haven't seen the Japanese counterpart. This one I feel would probably have similar suspense in the original. But the basis of the story seemed too much like The Ring/Ringu :/

Umm... That's all I can really say. For me, I like drama-suspenses but I need it to have a good pace. I know the general audience loves action and exciting things happening and I do to up to a point, but if it has a good flow, not needed. Ringu... just didn't quite make it for me like The Ring.
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Maledicte » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:32 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a remake of a foreign original, but then I've probably not seen those originals either, so...

So yeah, as long as it's good. :P
Maledicte

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:28 am

I'm big on Asian cinema, so I do tend to see a lot of films I like end up being planned for remakes (JSA, Oldboy, Infernal Affairs, etc). While the remakes never do the original films justice, there is the rare instance that a remake does end up being very good (Martin Scorcese's The Departed being the best example. Both The Departed and Infernal Affairs were excellent).
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby termyt » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:49 am

I'm personally not a big fan of remakes. I understand a lot of Americans either didn't understand or thought Ringu was just too slow, so I guess the remake worked for a lot of folks in that instance. (I didn't see either, so I don't know).

Either way, even if I can't stand the thought of an American remake doesn't mean, to me, that it shouldn't be done. I just won't watch or support it, but I think others should have the ability to vote with their own wallets and voices.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:08 pm

For the most part, I'd rather they not, simply because they should make their own movies. Aren't there enough remakes of American films already?

But there are a few times when I would approve of a remake. If the original film had a great idea but a low budget, I wouldn't mind seeing it done with better special effects and likely better acting. There don't seem to me many directors that can leave something good alone, though, so for the most part I think it is best they stay away entirely.
uc pseudonym

Postby Maledicte » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:53 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:For the most part, I'd rather they not, simply because they should make their own movies. Aren't there enough remakes of American films already?

Very good point.

It's bad enough that every book is being turned into a movie (well, not bad, it depends on how well the movie's made) and every TV show is being turned into a movie. An original idea would be nice. Is it because the industry is too scared to take risks?
Maledicte

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:00 pm

Personally, I think the industry has run out of original ideas. Then again, there are no truly original ideas when comes to telling a story.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:02 pm

K. Ayato wrote:Then again, there are no truly original ideas when comes to telling a story.

I wouldn't say that. There are still books, movies, and tv shows with original ideas.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Okami » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:09 pm

o.o
[RANDOM FACT]
Okami was afraid of tvs for about half a year after seeing The Ring...
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:34 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I wouldn't say that. There are still books, movies, and tv shows with original ideas.

Tis true. When you think EVERYTHING'S been done, something like Death Note will come out of nowhere (that is, can't think of anything that can compete with it's uniqueness myself). New stories will always be made^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby creed4 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:36 am

often hollywood doesn't know what it's doing and have to change things, if they held to the original a little better it would be find.

Now with American film remakes it depends
For instance Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was better the Willy Wanka and the Chocolate factory because they tried to say closer to the book, others don't and they aren't worth watching
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:42 pm

It is interesting to note that despite the overall negative trend in this thread, that option hasn't actually received any votes. Does that mean we all accept the potential for a good remake but are merely cynical about one?

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I wouldn't say that. There are still books, movies, and tv shows with original ideas.

That depends how you define "original." Just about everything has some precursor that could in some way be considered similar. But personally I think we need a looser definition of the word, something more akin to "Not ripped off other things, not something we've seen too many times before."
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:11 pm

Isn't one of the all-time classics of American cinema, The Maltese Falcon, a remake? Yup, it's the 2nd remake in a 10 year period, actually. :grin:

Remakes aren't always such a bad idea (especially with classic literature). But I admit that I rarely actually look forward to one, mostly because somewhere something tends to go wrong in the re-adaptation. Remakes of "foreign" movies tend to loose what made them great mostly because of studio interference (like the remake of The Vanishing, which took away the disturbing ending for a particularly cynical "happy" ending). I'm certain there are exceptions, but I can't think of any. I haven't seen that many movies yet.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby termyt » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:35 am

uc pseudonym wrote:That depends how you define "original." Just about everything has some precursor that could in some way be considered similar. But personally I think we need a looser definition of the word, something more akin to "Not ripped off other things, not something we've seen too many times before."

"Original" today means, to me, a blending of plots and characters that make for an interesting or unusual combination.

The plots and characters themselves are not original, though.

For the record, using one's name to curse one unto death is not exactly unheard of in fiction. Banshees, for example have been said to wail the names of the soon to be dead. I seem to recall a 60's era movie where writing a name someplace leads to the death of the person. But Death Note does mix in some additional plot elements to make the story rather intriguing.
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Sanctum Angel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:47 am

I just realized i never saw a remake of a movie. I guess they just never interested me.
Sanctum Angel

Postby Aka-chan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:52 am

Not a big fan of remakes. I tended to more lean toward just watching the originals and ignoring whatever Hollywood put out because I didn't want to get worked up over something like that.

Then I found out they're remaking the Korean movie My Sassy Girl, which, in my opinion, is going WAY too far.
Aka-chan

Postby Rocketshipper » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:51 pm

I actually like a lot of remakes, both ones of American movies and foreign movies. I really liked "The Lake House" and "Shall We Dance" (although I admit I haven't seen the originals) and I thought The Ring remake was better than the japanese version, which I thought was boring (I don't like Japanese horror movies much actually, I've hated almost everyone I've seen). Of course, whenever I hear rumors of remakes for some of my favorite movies (like A Nightmare on Elmstreet) it can annoy me a little ^^.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby termyt » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 am

By the posts, it seems to be implied that you have to choose one or the other. Either you like remakes or you like the original - and you certainly can't like both.

It depends for me. If you are talking Pink Panther, then the original is my choice. I'll take the remake of Ocean's II any day, though. However, I like both the 7 Samurai and the Magnificent Seven.

I also liked the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the first remake, but I had no interest in seeing the most recent incarnation.

The remakes can bring a new setting and point of view to a classic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works better.
termyt

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:07 am

I wish Hollywood would at least get off their Japanese horror remake kick. It was fine when it was just The Ring. (I highly enjoyed both versions.)

But now it's just a cliche that needs to be done with already.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:19 am

termyt wrote:By the posts, it seems to be implied that you have to choose one or the other. Either you like remakes or you like the original - and you certainly can't like both.

Infernal Affairs: A+

The Departed: A+

:P

But I guess it's partially because it was directed by Scorcese, who's one of the top-dog directors.
Aka-chan wrote:Then I found out they're remaking the Korean movie My Sassy Girl, which, in my opinion, is going WAY too far.

I am skeptical of it... but hey! It might turn out pretty good.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:09 am

termyt wrote:By the posts, it seems to be implied that you have to choose one or the other. Either you like remakes or you like the original - and you certainly can't like both.

It depends for me. If you are talking Pink Panther, then the original is my choice. I'll take the remake of Ocean's II any day, though. However, I like both the 7 Samurai and the Magnificent Seven.

I also liked the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the first remake, but I had no interest in seeing the most recent incarnation.

The remakes can bring a new setting and point of view to a classic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works better.

You also have to define what actually constitutes a "remake". Is "Outland" a remake of "High Noon" or not? And according to its creator, "Mahoutsukai Sally" ("Sally the Witch"), the original "Magical Girl" anime, was inspired by the American show "Bewitched". Meanwhile, the Japanese anime "Witchblade" is a direct licensing of the American Comic and TV show of the same name, but a completely new story set in future Japan.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby termyt » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:50 pm

That's a good point for discussion.

To me, a remake is a film that tells the same story as a previous film. It's got to be beyond plot similarities, though. By “same storyâ€
termyt

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:02 pm

It really depends on how good the movie or show is versus the original and also who is in it.
Of course the ultimate remake of all time has to have been:
The Last Remake Of Beau Geste
mitsuki lover

Postby ilikegir33 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:24 am

I really don't mind that much.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Puguni » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:06 am

I have no idea how Hollywood works in terms of making movies and writing scripts, but...could they possibly turn towards newer, fresher writers instead of remakes, etc. ?

To me, a remake means a direct adaption from the original movie with very little, if at all, changes.

Or maybe they need to turn to indie movie makers; it's a market yet to be reaped successfully, I think.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby ashfire » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:30 pm

I had a thought today. A remake of Blazing Saddles. I would think there would have to be some changes of wording to not afend people with a racial word.
I would wonder which actors would play the characters. If any original actors would make cameoes.
If a sequel was maded how about Son of Blazing Saddles.
ashfire

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:40 pm

The only problem with a remake of Blazing Saddles is you would have to have Mel Brooks do it.
As far as the N word went...I think that was used for shock value mainly.
Although it did lead to the scene where Bart pulls out his gun on himself after the town's people draw their guns on him after finding that the strange black man is their new sherrif and him uttering the line:"
Don't shoot or the N... gets it!"If you have ever seen Blazing Saddles it is rather hilarious.(Not the use of the N word but the way Bart pulls it off.)
mitsuki lover

Postby termyt » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:56 am

A Blazing Saddles remake? I doubt even Mel Brooks would try to pull that off. If you remove the use of that word, you really harm what the movie was about. That's not even close to the only reference in that movie that simply would not be allowed in today's Hollywood climate.

Blazing Saddles was one of the best anti-racism movies I've ever seen. It's kind of a shame (or is it a sham) that the movie itself is considered racist today.
termyt

Return to General Entertainment