The 300

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:07 pm

Etoh*the*Greato wrote:Were we to censor everything to make it "cleaner" we would be ignoring certain parts of human existance that simply do not go away no matter how we ignore them. Even the scriptures address them. They paint these things in a horrible light, but they address them instead of ignoring it because it is unpleasant.

Completely seconded. Jewish scholars in captivity in Babylon took copious notes on the culture around them, the good and the bad.
Fish and Chips

Postby Shinja » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:40 pm

to which jewish scolaors do you speak? dainiel? is it scripture which is God breathed or is it history, are these the same as entertainment. it is the entertainment that is my concern, sure its more real down to earth i supose, but i dont think everything in the world is excusible as entertainment. nor the reason that it is part of human existance, people create and do all kinds of evil that i do think should ever be lebeled as entertainment. there is right and wrong, to some extent comics and most entertainment used to uphold that.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:59 pm

I agree that not everything is excusable as entertainment (sexual content comes to mind), however I would have to say a book, movie, tv show, or video game where everyone was happy and there was no violence or conflict would be pretty boring.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:04 pm

Shinja wrote:to which jewish scolaors do you speak? dainiel? is it scripture which is God breathed or is it history, are these the same as entertainment. it is the entertainment that is my concern, sure its more real down to earth i supose, but i dont think everything in the world is excusible as entertainment. nor the reason that it is part of human existance, people create and do all kinds of evil that i do think should ever be lebeled as entertainment. there is right and wrong, to some extent comics and most entertainment used to uphold that.

I'm not talking about the scriptures, just historical note-taking. It would have been around the time of Daniel, though, yes.
Nate wrote:I agree that not everything is excusable as entertainment (sexual content comes to mind), however I would have to say a book, movie, tv show, or video game where everyone was happy and there was no violence or conflict would be pretty boring.

God of Negotiation?
Fish and Chips

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:34 pm

Conflict is generated by unpleasant people and unpleasant circumstances. I'd rather take that than whitwashed Leave it to Bever television any day.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby termyt » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:49 am

We could use more "Leave It to Beaver" these days. There was no white-wash in that show, my young friend.

They dealt with real issues and real problems. The big difference is that they, as a family, worked to solve and over-come those problems together. It's a shame we find that so unrealistic today.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:39 am

The problem with Leave it to Beaver was that those people weren't human. The parents especially. There was nothing wrong with them. That's whitewashed.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:12 pm

Shinja wrote:its true there is a differance between good writeing and good story. i think its the deprivation of american society that refuses to call for cleaner entertainment anymore. what entertains you shows who you really are.

So you're telling me I'm going to somehow unknowingly have an incestuous relationship with one of my family members? Then want revenge on some random people and chop them into pieces, eat their kidneys, then for some reason, defect to the Soviet Union and fall in love with some random Chinese Spy? Where I then thwart an evil person bent on nuclear war while driving to a children's beauty pageant with our deceased grandfather in the trunk of our car? Then after that, became a deranged and crazy person who extracts their teeth and kills people with a hammer, seeking revenge on the person who trapped me in a room for 15 years while wondering why I can hear the voice of a woman narrating my life? Then realizing my brother (who defected to North Korea) realizes that I am not dead? Only to then end up killing my North Korean friends and die while attempting to telephone the woman I fall in love with?

There's a line between "Dirty Entertainment" and "Suggestive Themes" my friend. The latter tends bears importance to the story, and is important for the plot's development. I don't know how it works in conjunction with 300. But I absolutely will not tolerate you criticizing me or other people for enjoying something (especially something that has "suggestive themes" for artistic merit) which you simply cannot handle. Your voice is not the absolute truth. So enough with your "holier than thou" attitude. It like I am watching a scene in a movie with wide-eyes and drool coming out of my mouth. But if it bears importance to the story and is for emotional effect, I say it is important to watch it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:21 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:then for some reason, defect to the Soviet Union and fall in love with some random Chinese Spy?

Oh, it's worth it man.
Mr. SmartyPants wrote:There's a line between "Dirty Entertainment" and "Suggestive Themes" my friend. The latter tends bears importance to the story, and is important for the plot's development. I don't know how it works in conjunction with 300. But I absolutely will not tolerate you criticizing me or other people for enjoying something (especially something that has "suggestive themes" for artistic merit) which you simply cannot handle. Your voice is not the absolute truth. So enough with your "holier than thou" attitude. It like I am watching a scene in a movie with wide-eyes and drool coming out of my mouth. But if it bears importance to the story and is for emotional effect, I say it is important to watch it.

I'd advise everyone in this thread to take a breather and read Romans 14.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:27 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Oh, it's worth it man.

We all know she dreams about me in her sleep. Tranquilizer gun FTW.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Ingemar » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:32 pm

Etoh*the*Greato wrote:The problem with Leave it to Beaver was that those people weren't human. The parents especially. There was nothing wrong with them. That's whitewashed.

termyt wrote:They dealt with real issues and real problems. The big difference is that they, as a family, worked to solve and over-come those problems together. It's a shame we find that so unrealistic today.
lol, irony
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Shinja » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:53 am

wow thats amazing, and i thought christians were suposed to encourage each other to live more Christ like lives, the only reason i posted on here in the first place was to give my review on what i found to be a disgusting movie. is this not the same reason behind our anime reviews to warn others of bad content. so far im really the only one that has really taken any issue on it's "artistic license" you accuse me of having a "holier than thou" attitude, but i have neither accused nor judged (nor do i have any right to) anyone here but i personally am constantly reminded of this verse "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil" isaiah 5:20 and i have seen and priased alot of tv shows and movies that i know do not glorify God and that is shameful to me and hurts my testimony to those who do not know Christ. that is why i cant praise 300, and why i have posted what i have on my view of entertainment
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:23 am

Calm down, people. If we're going to discuss the movie, let's do it in here. If we're going to disect each other, do it elsewhere.
Fish and Chips

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:06 am

Well said.

About the movie, I heard the guy who played Xerxes is actually from Brazil. Kinda cool if you think about it.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:18 am

termyt wrote:We could use more "Leave It to Beaver" these days. There was no white-wash in that show, my young friend.

They dealt with real issues and real problems. The big difference is that they, as a family, worked to solve and over-come those problems together. It's a shame we find that so unrealistic today.

Nobody's home problems are going to be solved in 30 minutes. That's why I generally avoid trying to use a tv sitcom in relevance to my own life.

Leave it to Beaver, while it is quality television, is totally superficial.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:03 am

Wow tense topic huh?

Anyways i thought the movie was amazing and during the sexual scenes i left the theater because i just didn't need to see that. It was violent also but not so violent that i was sick. We all need to just take breathers and walk out of this thread and let it settle.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Kkun » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:05 pm

300 was so manly that after it was over, I went out and ate some raw meat and killed a bunch of people.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:37 pm

Just got back from seeing it. It was absolutely amazing. Best movie I've seen this year for sure.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Stephen » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:58 am

Wow. Was I ever late seeing this. Got the 2 disk SE verson today. I loved it. After all the yammering back and forth over the content, it was far more tame then I figured it would be. Why people expected anything concerning Spartans to be tame is beyond me. (And free of nudity? Heck, the statues are all nude) One of the guys in the special features even said somthing to the effect of the 300 may have been nude outside of there helms, shields, and spears. So at least they shyed away from that. As far as having no story, I disagree quite a bit. I think many movies suffer from stories that dwell on fleshing things out too long. 300 guys fight a huge group. They really don't need to flesh that out much IMO. All in all, I enjoyed it. Now the real question is, is if the rumors of a God of War movie are real....would it be better or worse content wise lol.
Stephen

Postby cbwing0 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:59 am

So far, this thread seems to be mirroring the broader Christian response to 300, which has essentially consisted of one side saying,

WOW 300 IS AWESOME AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU'RE A SISSY PANSY.

while the other side says,

HOW CAN YOU WATCH THIS TERRIBLE MOVIE YOU SICK DEPRAVED CRETIN.

Now that each viewpoint has been distilled and clarified, I hope that we can move on.

I saw 300 twice in theaters during its initial release, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The action was outstanding, and the message was for the most part inspiring--and for the record, free men standing for "reason and justice" against "tryranny and mysticism" do make a good story, much better than the typical Hollywood garbage.

I bought the DVD last week and watched it two more times, once on a standard tv and again on a 42-inch HDTV, and I can say that 300 is one movie that definitely benefits from HD-quality presentation. Being able to fast-forward through the sex scenes also helps.

On a related note, I am looking forward to Zack Snyder's adaptation of The Watchmen after seeing his superb handling of 300. Unfortunately that isn't scheduled for release until 2009...
cbwing0

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:45 pm

As a new Watchmen fan, I too am pretty anxious to see how it's going to turn out.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Solid Ronin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Kkun wrote:300 was so manly that after it was over, I went out and ate some raw meat and killed a bunch of people.

I went out...killed a deer... and just started eating it on the spot...I used my teeth to rip off the fur.

Then I had a fight with a wall... and won.
Solid Ronin

Postby Mr. Rogers » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:44 pm

I drank a cup of my own blood.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Tommy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:52 pm

That's not tough.....that's just weird.

Anyways, I wont be seeing it until it's edited on TV.....and I somehow get cable back.

Yeah....
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Previous

Return to General Entertainment