M. Night Shyamalan + Avatar = live-action movie?!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

M. Night Shyamalan + Avatar = live-action movie?!

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:45 am

From ANN:

"M. Night Shyamalan has signed a deal with Paramount Pictures to write, direct, and produce a trilogy of live-action films based on Nikelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender. The project is unrelated to James Cameron's upcoming film Avatar, which was also announced yesterday."

Just watched Lady in the Water last night, too. Hm, although his movies involve the supernatural, I can't picture him doing this one really...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 am

...Aren't horror flicks (or at least pseudo-thrillers) his forte, though? I haven't even watched it, but from the small things I have seen, the show Avatar never struck me as anything he would be doing. But, I guess we'll just have to see. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:36 am

Oh dear. First the Wyatt Earp / Tombstone war, then the console war, then the Hi Definition DVD war, now the Avatar war.

Coming soon, the Dan Brown / Umberto Eco Wars.
bigsleepj

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:14 pm

From what I hear M.Night Shyamalan is a legend...in his own mind.
mitsuki lover

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:22 pm

Good director. HORRIBLE screenwriter.

I see this going downhill already.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:44 pm

urgh... I can't see this working. I love Avatar, but I'm sorry. Ouch. =_=;;
Kawaiikneko

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:57 pm

I can't see it working as a live action movie in itself, but we can't really say what ISN'T his forte because all we've seen from him is one thing. For all we know he could be good at this stuff.

I have mixed feelings, but you never know. Just have fun locating some bald kid that isn't a celebrity or that is....
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Cap'n Nick » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:23 pm

After all of the ego inflation he gave himself in Lady in the Water I'm surprised he can fit his head back into the studio.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:40 pm

Cap'n Nick wrote:After all of the ego inflation he gave himself in Lady in the Water I'm surprised he can fit his head back into the studio.

Heh, now that I think about it, it's amusing a director/writer playing the role of [spoiler] "the chosen one".... [/spoiler]
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:57 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:...Aren't horror flicks (or at least pseudo-thrillers) his forte, though? I haven't even watched it, but from the small things I have seen, the show Avatar never struck me as anything he would be doing. But, I guess we'll just have to see. XD

His work as a writer.

Lady in the Water

The Village

Signs

Unbreakable

Stuart Little

The Sixth Sense

His work as a director.

Lady in the Water

The Village

Signs

Unbreakable

The Sixth Sense

His work as an actor

Lady in the Water

The Village

Signs

Unbreakable

The Sixth Sense

There you go. For him to work on Avatar, he will have to be the writer, director and an actor in the movie.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:36 pm

:wow!: this should be interesting...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:49 pm

He'd play Aapa...
Tommy

Postby TallasLint » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:53 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:He'd play Aapa...

I was thinking he'd play the cabbage merchant or foamie.

I was initially appalled by the idea of an M. Night Shyamalan Avatar movie, but after thinking this over, I've decided I'm going to give it a chance. It may not even happen, who knows. But the special effects should be pretty good, and M. Night Shyamalan is good at taking interesting takes at spiritual/supernatural themes. And since the avatar world is already developed, he can't really screw that up too much.

Personally though, I hope he doesn't recount the story of the "gAang". I hope he follows the story of a different Avatar, or the regeneration of the air nation (if that happens).
Lint.
TallasLint

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:14 pm

I think this could be pretty cool...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby dyzzispell » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:15 pm

Funny thing, when I was watching XMen 3, I saw this kid and thought he'd make the perfect live action Aang, if they ever did a movie...

... and then the Shyamalan news came along.

Anyway, this is the only in-movie pic I could find of Cameron Bright...

But here he is WITH hair.

At least, I thought he'd make a good Aang, but by the time the movie were to start filming, he'd be too old anyway... >.>
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Postby Ingemar » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:05 am

Wingzero22 wrote:His work as a writer.

Lady in the Water

The Village

Signs

Unbreakable

Stuart Little

The Sixth Sense

That one credit card commercial

His work as a director.

Lady in the Water

The Village

Signs

Unbreakable

The Sixth Sense

His work as an actor

Lady in the Water

The Village

Signs

Unbreakable

The Sixth Sense

There you go. For him to work on Avatar, he will have to be the writer, director and an actor in the movie.

Wingzero22
*emphasis added*
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby silverSky » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:52 pm

dyzzispell wrote:Funny thing, when I was watching XMen 3, I saw this kid and thought he'd make the perfect live action Aang, if they ever did a movie...

... and then the Shyamalan news came along.

Anyway, this is the only in-movie pic I could find of Cameron Bright...

But here he is WITH hair.

At least, I thought he'd make a good Aang, but by the time the movie were to start filming, he'd be too old anyway... >.>

Yes he would be interesting person to play him but he probably get old to quick.

I curious on how Avatar will play out in live action.

silverSky
Jhn 1: 1-5 KJ

1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2) The same was in the beginning with God.
3) All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4) In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5) And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Psalm 115: 105-106 OKJ

105) Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
106) I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgements.

Psalm 91:1-2

1) He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty
2) I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
silverSky

Postby Tommy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:18 pm

I think Luke Perry should play Aang.

Come on, he passed as a teen in Bevery Hills 90210, so I tihkn he could make a perfect Aang since with a lot make up, he could pass for any age.
Tommy

Postby HisaishiFan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:42 pm

Don't forget Wide Awake, written by, directed by, etc.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby Tommy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:15 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:From ANN:

"M. Night Shyamalan has signed a deal with Paramount Pictures to write, direct, and produce a trilogy of live-action films based on Nikelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender. The project is unrelated to James Cameron's upcoming film Avatar, which was also announced yesterday."

Just watched Lady in the Water last night, too. Hm, although his movies involve the supernatural, I can't picture him doing this one really...

BUMP!

Just because none of my friends believe me and I'm having trouble believing you (no offense).

Well not you, ANN.

I also can't find it on IMDb.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby ninjaduckofdoom » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:21 pm

ninjaduckofdoom

Postby Tommy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:08 pm

Thanks, Ninja.
Tommy

Postby CatHCG11 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:00 pm

I really liked some of M. Night Shyamalan's films but I'm not sure about him doing Avatar....
When I was certain he was going to kill me, my mind went blank, and I didn't have any hope anymore. And the only thing I could do was scream my lungs out. I felt so helpless, I couldn't even bring myself to believe someone might save me. Then you showed up, Al. And I realized that if we don't take care of each other, then no one else will. So I'll do anything in my power to get our bodies back, even if it means being the military's lapdog. And we'll just have to hope our powers are good enough to help us rise above our own limits. Cause we're not gods. We're humans. Tiny, insignificant humans who couldn't even save a little girl.
-Edward Elric, FullMetal Alchemist
CatHCG11

Return to General Entertainment