Classic Movies

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Classic Movies

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:42 am

I was using the search tool, looking up some stuff. And found a thread made by ashley about classical movies.

Instead of gravedigging it, I figure it would be wiser to just make an entire new thread, same similar idea.

Oddly enough, if you read her old thread (made in 2004) She mentions taking a "Film throughout american history" course. I too am taking a course similar to that (Communications and the Visual media) and it certainly opening me up to a lot of great films.

I shall list some of my favorite films and why

Sunset Boulevard
A FANTASTIC film-noir. It explores the human psyche and the darkness of man (elements of noir right there) With intricate and troubling plots that had my stomach churning. (In a good way) I highly recommend it. Now I want to watch other noir films. Including ones including Humphrey Bogart.

I am a fugitive from a chain gang
Based off the Robert E. Burns novel "I am a fugitive from a georgia chain gang", this film is just great! Spectacular and incredibly well made!

Citizen Kane
Widely considered the best movie ever created. Ashley said she didn't like it. Though I don't understand why XD Besides it's technical revolution, it had an amazing philosophical allegory. Featuring ideas including materialism, control, power, Dramatic Irony (Kane's parents do something for him, thinking it's for the best. However it's what leads to his downfall) and fall from innocence. (Rosebud = DUN DUN DUN. Not spoiling) This film too, also explores the human psyche. It also has a good amount of symbolism.

Many Hitchcock Films
Vertigo is amazing. The twists are unexpected, and the "mad love" is mind-gripping, especially in conjunction with the plot twists. Expect to see more Hitchcock films in this list, such as Psycho, Notorious, and Rebecca.

Awakenings
A tad more modern. Filmed in 1990, Directed by Penny Marshal. Robert DeNiro and Robin Williams star in this beautiful medical drama. Incredibly emotional and psychological. One of the most underrated films in history.

Death of a Salesman
This is the one with Dustin Hoffman. I absolutely ADORE the playwright written by Arthur Miller. More human psyche here. Quite a depressing book with an incredible and ironic ending.

The Glass Menagerie
Believe it or not this film has Sam Watterson (from law and order) and is based off the playwright by Tennessee Williams. The playwright is my absolute favorite. Another somewhat dysfunctional family. Includes a lot of symbolism. It is quite depressing and emotional. The reason why I actually started to like it was because it shared a theme similar to Paranoia Agent.

Akira Kurosawa Films
I also expect to see some Kurosawa Films make this list, especially seven samurai, yojimbo, and Ikiru. Which I have been meaning to watch, and I know that bigsleepj really likes. (I will watch Ikiru as SOON as I acquire it!)

The Godfather
Unfortunately I have only seen the first installment. But it's a well crafted drama. Expressing the downfall of a man for the sake of his family.

As for some more recent movies:
Joint Security Area aka Gondong Gyongbi Geuyeok
Arguably my favorite movie ever. (It's fighting for #1 against Oldboy and Lady Vengeance) JSA is incredibly emotional, without being melodramatic. Details friendship in an amazing way. It's also quite a tragic film. And AMAZING Cinematography. It also has an AMAZING soundtrack.

Oldboy
One amazing work of art. One of the best plot twists I have ever encountered in my life. It's more than a vengeance thriller, it's something that will repulse you and fascinate you at the same time. Oldboy too, has an amazing soundtrack.

Lady Vengeance aka Chinjeolhan Geumjassi
One of the most artistic and philosophical movies I have ever seen. More artistic than Oldboy. Good amount of dark humor as well. This film explores themes of redemption and salvation against false roads of redemption. It also has a good amount of worthwhile symbolism. Lady Vengeance as well has an incredible soundtrack.

Though not old classics, some others I would include are: Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Taegukgi, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, Peppermint Candy, Memento, and Memories of Murder.

I also would really love to watch: A Few Good Men, Casablanca, The Green Mile, Shindler's List, Shawshank Redemption, Kubrik's The Shining, Fight Club, and Clockwork Orange.

You might be able to tell that I enjoy movies that explores the human psyche with a philosophical twist which forces you to delve into and idealize heavily upon. Such movies must linger inside you for a good amount of time. (Either with philosophical ideas or well-crafted emotional scenes)

Each movie I listed has lingered inside me even days later after watching. Oldboy and Lady Vengeance still linger within me today, and I watched them about 2-3 months ago. JSA emotionally lingers inside me as well.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:22 am

Sunset Boulevard is an excellent movie, but as I told you before it's not always considered noir (though mostly because of a narrow definition). It's interesting, but I knew the plot beforehand when I saw it (the staircase scene) and still it was powerful, actually making me cry. I also loved it because it had Buster Keaton in a cameo. WOOHOO!!

Citizen Kane is well made, but I've always felt that the amounts of praise it gets is killing it slowly; that is, it raises the expectations of the viewer to such a high bar that the movie, as "THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE", can't quite reach it.

One great Hitchcock movie that has to be seen is Vertigo. It is not everybody's cup of tea, but it's dark, disturbing and maybe even the creepiest movie I've seen.

My favourite modern classic is Fargo by Joel and Ethan Coen. It's a small movie made for peanuts and set in Minnesota. It tells the tale of a hapless car-salesman who hires two idiotic criminals to kidnap his wife and ransom her to her rich father, only to watch things go entirely and horribly wrong. The movie is deliberately slow paced and does not fit comfortably under any genre, but it is a unique film and possibly one of the best if you can "get into it". But it is highly violent with lots of swearing in it. Stars Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare and William H Macy.

One Stanley Kubrick movie you have to watch is Dr Strangelove or: How I learned to stop Worrying and love the Bomb. It's his best movie in my oppinion. The Shining is stupid. Really stupid. Read Stephen King's book instead.

Casablanca is also a favourite, as is most Bogart movies. Bogart gives one of his best performances in The Caine Mutiny as an troubled Navy Captain. The book is better but Bogart's performance is excellent.

The Shawshank Redemption is excellent!! The Green Mile, by the same director, is just good but not a classic.
bigsleepj

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:33 am

bigsleepj wrote:Sunset Boulevard is an excellent movie, but as I told you before it's not always considered noir (though mostly because of a narrow definition). It's interesting, but I knew the plot beforehand when I saw it (the staircase scene) and still it was powerful, actually making me cry. I also loved it because it had Buster Keaton in a cameo. WOOHOO!!

It also had Erich von Stroheim playing as the Butler. And my teacher pointed out that Buster Keaton was one of the card-playing friends.

Oh and I'm curious. Why do you say it might not be film-noir? I mean my teacher calls it noir, imdb calls it noir, wikipedia calls it noir XD Is there something in Sunset Boulevard that makes it different from other film-noir?
Citizen Kane is well made, but I've always felt that the amounts of praise it gets is killing it slowly]
I totally agree. Though it is overrated. I enjoyed it for what it was. I too fell for the trap of it being "amazing". But after some thought, I started to like it more.
One great Hitchcock movie that has to be seen is Vertigo. It is not everybody's cup of tea, but it's dark, disturbing and maybe even the creepiest movie I've seen.

Like I said, such a good movie. And it is indeed extremely creepy.
My favourite modern classic is Fargo by Joel and Ethan Coen. It's a small movie made for peanuts and set in Minnesota. It tells the tale of a hapless car-salesman who hires two idiotic criminals to kidnap his wife and ransom her to her rich father, only to watch things go entirely and horribly wrong. The movie is deliberately slow paced and does not fit comfortably under any genre, but it is a unique film and possibly one of the best if you can "get into it". But it is highly violent with lots of swearing in it. Stars Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare and William H Macy.

I was over my friend's house last week, and I was planning on borrowing it. But I forgot! If I recall what he told me, it has a lot of dark humor, correct? The plot reminds me of "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance". A ransom gone horribly wrong, slow paced, and violent.
One Stanley Kubrick movie you have to watch is Dr Strangelove or: How I learned to stop Worrying and love the Bomb. It's his best movie in my oppinion. The Shining is stupid. Really stupid. Read Stephen King's book instead.

Ah yes. Peanut is always telling me to watch that. Though I hear many good things about The Shining.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:21 am

Another good movie worth checking out is Fritz Lang's M (a German film made just before the rise of Nazism). Considered to be the first film noir ever made (or at least a proto-type for it). It tells the tale of the police trying to find a child-murderer and how he's eventually tracked down... by the criminal underworld. The movie's climactic sequence as the murderer is put on "trial" is one of the most disturbing, chilling scenes I've ever seen. (also certain visuals of the movie is referenced in Alex Proyas' Dark City).

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:It also had Erich von Stroheim playing as the Butler. And my teacher pointed out that Buster Keaton was one of the card-playing friends.

You should watch some Buster Keaton movies. Our Hospitality is a good place to start. It may be silent movies, but it's better than most movies produced today. The General is Keaton's best, but it's not everyone's cup of tea and should be for advanced users (indeed, I liked it more on a 2nd viewing than on the first).

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Oh and I'm curious. Why do you say it might not be film-noir? I mean my teacher calls it noir, imdb calls it noir, wikipedia calls it noir XD Is there something in Sunset Boulevard that makes it different from other film-noir?

*Minor Spoilers for Sunset Blvd*
I believe it is film noir, but people with a narrow definition say it would not because it does not have any gangsters, detectives or criminals in it. Film noir was born out of detective fiction and so people expect all film noir MUST BE detective fiction or at least about criminals. As I said, its a narrow view. Sunset Boulevard is a film noir, and is one of the best because it avoids all those trappings. Even the story of how the dead body got in the pool (and is told by the dead body) becomes sort of a forgotten fact until he gets killed at the end. Film noir tends to be structured around a crime that drives the plot towards the tragedy]I was over my friend's house last week, and I was planning on borrowing it. But I forgot! If I recall what he told me, it has a lot of dark humor, correct? The plot reminds me of "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance".[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen Mr Vengeance, but I doubt they'd even be remotely similar. The plot may be similar but many different movies have similar plots if you water the details down to its simplist forms.

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Ah yes. Peanut is always telling me to watch that. Though I hear many good things about The Shining.

The Shining was just dumb. I'm sorry. It had a few good scenes admittedly, but otherwise it sucked. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.
bigsleepj

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:35 am

bigsleepj wrote:*Minor Spoilers for Sunset Blvd*
I believe it is film noir, but people with a narrow definition say it would not because it does not have any gangsters, detectives or criminals in it. Film noir was born out of detective fiction and so people expect all film noir MUST BE detective fiction or at least about criminals. As I said, its a narrow view. Sunset Boulevard is a film noir, and is one of the best because it avoids all those trappings. Even the story of how the dead body got in the pool (and is told by the dead body) becomes sort of a forgotten fact until he gets killed at the end. Film noir tends to be structured around a crime that drives the plot towards the tragedy]
I totally agree. Yes I know it spawned from detective fiction. But according to my teacher, film noir has 5 of these things. (or most of them)

1. Confuzzling plot with intricacies of fate.
2. A Femme Fatale
3. Dark side of human kind
4. Voice-over narrative
5. "Mad love"
I haven't seen Mr Vengeance, but I doubt they'd even be remotely similar. The plot may be similar but many different movies have similar plots if you water the details down to its simplist forms.

Yah that's true. I'll agree with you there. I really want to check out Fargo now.
The Shining was just dumb. I'm sorry. It had a few good scenes admittedly, but otherwise it sucked. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

I was referring to "Dr. Strangelove" when I said Peanut recommended it to me. lol but okay. I'm still interested in The Shining though.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:02 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Yah that's true. I'll agree with you there. I really want to check out Fargo now.

The Coen Brothers, who made the movie, are interesting filmmakers on the whole, but no other movie of theirs were as good for me as Fargo. It is remarkably similar though in atmosphere to their first movie, Blood Simple, a nightmarish film-noir with a bizarrely twisted form of plot developement. A seedy bar-owner hires a seedy private eye to murder his cheeting wife and her lover and things go decidedly pear-shaped. What I like about Blood Simple is that in the movie there's a gun with only three bulits in it, and its interesting layer of tension to see what happens to the bullets, especially during its grizzly climax. I must watch both again sometime.

Fargo, by the way, got several Oscar nominations (and won Oscars for Best Actress and Best Original Screenplay) and Roger Ebert count's it amongst the best movies he's seen; his retrospective review / essay on the movie (found online under the Greatest Movies section of his website) makes quite interesting observation about the film.
bigsleepj

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:13 am

[quote="bigsleepj"]Fargo, by the way, got several Oscar nominations (and won Oscars for Best Actress and Best Original Screenplay) and Roger Ebert count's it amongst the best movies he's seen]
Speaking of Ebert. I was suprised that he actually reviewed Oldboy. (And gave it a perfect 4 out of 4). Shameless plug I know
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:10 pm

I was wondering if someone was going to mention Casablanca.
Another great Bogart film:The Maltese Falcon,the classic Sam Spade adventure
thriller also starring Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre.TMF is one of those classics that gets parodied a lot over the years,they even did one on Star Trek:
The Next Generation's first season.Anyone remember The Big Goodbye?
Some other classics:
Stagecoach:Sure it was just another B Western when it was made but it had
John Wayne in it and it was responsible for launching him to stardom.
The Day The Earth Stood Still:along with Forbidden Planet one of the top 2 classic
Sci Fi movies of the 1950s.
mitsuki lover

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:32 pm

Oh yes! I really want to watch The Maltese Falcon and The Day The Earth Stood Still. Are they any good?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Maltese Falcon is good. Also The Big Sleep (heheheheheh) with Humphrey Bogart is pretty good too, though only for dialogue, atmosphere and pacing. Plot-wise it can be a bit of a mess (one murder is never explained).
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:48 pm

I don't watch many classics but here are my favourites (at least those I can remember at the moment).

The Big Sleep
Metropolis
Duck Soup
A Day at the Races
North By Northwest
It's a Wonderful Life
Dial M for Murder
Bonnie and Clyde
Rear Window
That Man From Rio
Bullitt
The Great Escape

I think I'll have to check out Vertigo now!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:45 pm

Umm... I don't watch much classics either. I find most to be boring (sorry, blah blah I have a low attention span, cant appreciate good ol fasion movies blah blah... I don't care... a classic IMO, is something that is good and I've watched it a dozen times).

ANYWAY, the only classic I REALLY like (i actually bought the set cause I think they're so awesome) is The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly... and the other two movies in the series. And is Dr. No a classic? Its the first in the James Bond series at least and made before 1980 so I guess its old enough :P (yes I know Dr No was made in 62 but anyway...)
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:47 pm

I saw Fritz Lang's Metropolis last night. A very good, haunting film. I'm going to admit the first hour did not blow my socks off but the 2nd hour things became very good.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:26 pm

It's amazing, especially for a movie from 1926. The first hour isn't bad but nothing great. The second hour is great fun though. And the imagination that went into it! Easy to see where C3-PO's inspiration came from.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:40 pm

Yes. I must rewatch it again soon. I'm amazed at the general restoration (the quality of the film is for the most part more crisp and clear than most old movies). I enjoyed it very much and I was caught of guard by the Whore or Babylon sequence where it ends with the grim reaper. I just wish the missing scenes could be located. Reading the in-movie discriptions and seeing the pictures in the gallery section of the bonus disc its actually quite sad that they are lost, because the scenes look powerful in themselves.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:55 pm

I know! Its a real pity. The restoration was very well done though, previously the version I had seen was shorter and in the picture and audio were BAD.
But they recently spent lots of money on restorying it, and it worked.
Very creepy towards the end, and a bit 'adult' especially for its time.
Still its only a PG rating here.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:45 pm

Speaking of classic movies, my copy of Plan 9 From Outer Space arrived in the mail today, and I'll watch it this weekend. That's definitely a classic movie.

Plus, it contains commentary from Mike Nelson. Bonus!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:54 pm

I think Metropolis would have been incredible to watch in a movie theatre with an especially big screen. It is surely that kind of movie. The techniques are so simple and yet they work so well.

" wrote:Speaking of classic movies, my copy of Plan 9 From Outer Space arrived in the mail today, and I'll watch it this weekend. That's definitely a classic movie.

Yes! I want to have it on DVD someday!

" wrote:Plus, it contains commentary from Mike Nelson. Bonus!

Oh, that copy. Mike Nelson it may have (which is good) but its COLORIZED!!
bigsleepj

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:01 am

bigsleepj wrote:Oh, that copy. Mike Nelson it may have (which is good) but its COLORIZED!!

It has both the colorized and original B&W versions on that DVD.

I of course intend to watch it only in black and white.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:06 am

kaemmerite wrote:It has both the colorized and original B&W versions on that DVD.

I of course intend to watch it only in black and white.

I know it has both, but still why do it at all in the first place. The whole "more people will watch it if its in color" is a myth. There are some, granted, but still only a minority. But I hear that edition has the best B&W print.
bigsleepj

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:25 am

kaemmerite wrote:Speaking of classic movies, my copy of Plan 9 From Outer Space arrived in the mail today, and I'll watch it this weekend. That's definitely a classic movie.

:lol: Oh maaaaaan! You GOTTA tell me how that goes

Oh no! I forgot I am a fugitive from a chain gang! *goes to add*
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:47 am

Two of my favorites:

- Who's Afraid of Virginnia Wolff?
- On Golden Pond

Both have incredible character development and wonderful acting, though they are very different.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:05 pm

Some of my favorite classics are Spellbound, Notorious, and Arsenic and Old Lace (very funny!). Of course, I can't possibly forget all of the Fred Astaire-esque movies, either, like Holiday Inn! If I can assume that we're including musicals in this thread, then I'll go ahead and add My Fair Lady, Guys and Dolls, Oklahoma, and The Sound of Music to my list (though all of those are in color, aren't they? XD). Oh well, they're still classics! ;)
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:32 pm

They apparently were having a Topper marathon on TCM yesterday.
Topper being the comedy series about the Englishman who is haunted by a dead
beauty.
mitsuki lover

Postby Chibikyo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:21 am

Seven Samurai is probably my all time favorite classic movie. I've been meaning to see more Kurosawa films but have had some trouble finding them.
Chibikyo

Location: A place where the sun shines on the tree covered hills

Postby Peanut » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:25 pm

Though it has already been mentioned I will mention it again...because I love it just that much...Dr. Strangelove Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb...And yes Ryan, you must watch it...it's just that good...and Peter Sellers is amazing...
Another great old movie is Casino Royal(the 1967 version not the one that has just came out). It's really, really funny...and that's about all I will say...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby heero yuy 95 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:51 pm

Hmmm, excellent thread. many a thanks for giving us the opportunity to display our movie opinions for the genral populace to explore. Here doth be my list:

To Kill a Mockingbird- Though it leaves out some from the book, it reflects on a simpler time, a very touching movie not only exploring the issue of racism, but it also has a nice touch of innocence, being told from the eyes of a young girl.

Patton- not sure if it's considered a legitimate "classic", but definitely one in my eyes. The epic biography of one of America's most interesting generals. In depth and gripping, Geroge C. Scott does a stellar job portraying the old general.

Flash Gordon(1980)- While this humble film won't ever billed as "deep" or "thought-provoking", i still beleive it deserves to be heralded as a classic. This simple, low-tech adventure pays homage to the old 1930s flash godron movie serials and comic books, forever immortilized by an epic musical score by none other than Queen. Not thought-provoking or cutting-edge, but a fun movie paying homage to one of the first great space operas.
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:29 am

I recently saw Kurosawa's Ikiru and I must say it was incredibly slow, deep, and moving. Such a good film.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Tidus20 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:29 am

Mr. SmartyPants and Bigsleepj can really have good conversations. Geez.

But, anyway, would the nightmare before christmas be considered a classic? I think it should be. Pretty much any Tim Burton movie is great. It's hard to think of a really CLASSIC movie right now, but off the top of my head, I'll say It's A Wonderful Life. That movie had a good plot despite being in black and white. I think that black and white movies are good, but they're not ALL classics.

QUICK EDIT: Do you think that Young Frankenstien is a classic?
When the clock reads 2113
-Coheed and Cambria

Check out my totally NOT MySpace thingy HERE.

My ACTUAL WEBSITE.
Tidus20

Location: A place not too far from my happy place. My left middle finger has touched the same guitar as that

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:28 pm

Yes,especially the song and dance number where they do to 'Putting On The Ritz'.
Just about any Mel Brooks movie can be said to be a comedy classic these days:
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
Robin Hood:Men In Tights
History of the World part 1
High Anxiety
mitsuki lover

Next

Return to General Entertainment