Little-known movies that you enjoyed

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Little-known movies that you enjoyed

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:08 am

One thing I hate about Hollywood is the fact that great movies often fall through the cracks. Are there any movies you like that few people know about? Here are some of mine (note: this time, I think plot descriptions should be permitted)
  • Singles (think Friends in Seattle)
  • The Spitfire Grill (a female criminal reforms and helps run a restuarant. Great redemption story)
  • The Watcher in the Woods (you won't believe this is a Disney movie when you watch this)
  • Cube (8 people are trapped in a booby-trap filled, cubic, maze-like building)
  • Evolver (a toy robot that was originally designed for the military creates havoc because it can't lose and "evolves" every time you play. I put evolves in quotes because it's more like the robot merely adapts. Jon DeLancie, who played Q on Star Trek: TNG, plays the robot's inventor.)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:18 am

Multiplicity (A busy man makes 3 clones of himself, but the clones all get separate parts of his personality--in other words, one clone is extremely macho, another is extremely effiminate, and another is mentally retarded.) HILARIOUS movie. XD

Finding Forrester (The story of how an aspiring teenage writer named Jamal befriends the famous but reclusive writer *forgot his first name* Forrester.) It may be more well-known than I think it is (due to Connery's "Punch the keys!" and "You're the man now, dog!" lines), but I hardly hear people talking about the actual movie itself, and when I ask people if they've heard of it, they usually say no.

Diary of a Mad Black Woman (FANTASTIC movie about a woman dealing with marital issues among other things. The subject matter in and of itself is pretty heavy, but the handgun-carrying, chainsaw-using grandmother character of Madea and the strong Christian references make this a movie that shouldn't be missed).

The Dark Crystal (Ok, so I barely remember the plot (I watched this a long time ago), but I did enjoy it. XD)

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll post any others I remember later.

EDIT: Ok, so I thought of one already. XD

That Thing You Do (The story of a one-hit wonder band, starring Tom Hanks.) LOVE this movie. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby creed4 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:35 am

There are quite a few
The Labyerenth
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:51 pm

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

This might not count because it was recent, but it was never hyped nor did it get an official theatrical release. As one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, I advise anyone with an appreciation for subtle and satirical humor to view it. The premise is that the film is the worst camp science fiction movie ever made.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:30 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Diary of a Mad Black Woman (FANTASTIC movie about a woman dealing with marital issues among other things. The subject matter in and of itself is pretty heavy, but the handgun-carrying, chainsaw-using grandmother character of Madea and the strong Christian references make this a movie that shouldn't be missed).

yes. this is a really good movie. i didn't know what it was about until my mom and dad went to watch it after my mom saw an oprah episode talking about the movie. then, we bought the DVD for my mom's birthday and i finally got to watch it. hilarious and filled with rich themes and morals. :thumb:

might i also add:
The Goonies
i dunno if this is considered a little-known movie i don't know many people who've seen this movie. it's rated PG but should've gotten a PG-13 rating. even so, it's a funny movie filled with a great cast of characters and suspense.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:08 pm

Oldboy and Joint Security Area FTW (points to avatar)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:18 pm

Memento. Great film.

Also, Fight Club, but I can't fully recommend it to most people here.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Maledicte » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:13 am

uc pseudonym wrote:The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

This might not count because it was recent, but it was never hyped nor did it get an official theatrical release. As one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, I advise anyone with an appreciation for subtle and satirical humor to view it. The premise is that the film is the worst camp science fiction movie ever made.

Oh, wow, someone else has heard of it? 8D I haven't seen it yet, but I heard about it on the radio and it sounded like the funniest thing ever.

My lesser-known movie pick would be Dead Man, a really funky western. Great cast. Not recommended to typical Johnny Depp fans.
Maledicte

Postby rocklobster » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:14 am

jon_jinn wrote:yes. this is a really good movie. i didn't know what it was about until my mom and dad went to watch it after my mom saw an oprah episode talking about the movie. then, we bought the DVD for my mom's birthday and i finally got to watch it. hilarious and filled with rich themes and morals. :thumb:

might i also add:
The Goonies
i dunno if this is considered a little-known movie i don't know many people who've seen this movie. it's rated PG but should've gotten a PG-13 rating. even so, it's a funny movie filled with a great cast of characters and suspense.

Dude, I grew up with Goonies! It's pretty well-known to us 80's kids!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:33 pm

You guys are mentioning fairly well-known titles. XD

I always liked SLC Punk, myself. It's silly and ridiculous and kind of dirty, but I found it pretty entertaining.

Another lesser-known movie I really like is Boondock Saints. That movie is excellent.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:38 pm

rocklobster wrote:Dude, I grew up with Goonies! It's pretty well-known to us 80's kids!

yeah it's a pretty old movie.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:07 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Memento. Great film.

I agree it was a great film, but was it really that unknown? That's an honest question, because I'm not sure if it is or not. It just seems that it would be a relatively well known title.

SirThinks2Much wrote:Oh, wow, someone else has heard of it? 8D I haven't seen it yet, but I heard about it on the radio and it sounded like the funniest thing ever.

In the field of intentionally cheesy, I think that I would agree. It's impossible to be objective with something as inherently subjective as "funniest" but I can't think of anything similar to Lost Skeleton of Cadavra that comes close.

Also on the subject of this movie, fans of Mystery Science Theater are likely to enjoy it a lot.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:19 am

Wit is my favorite movie, and most people have never heard of it.

I also love Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? as well, an older movie in b&w, about a husband and wife with tension between them thick as steel - some excellent acting and dialogue, but definitely for older members.

The Winter Guest is another hardly known movie that is one of my favorites. All of these are dramas centered around relationship, life, death, or the like, so action fans, stay away. Usually older members appreciate them a lot more than younger as well, for pacing reasons, as well as for topical reasons. But they are some of my favorites.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Ichigo_89 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:23 am

"Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" (ok, prolly not so unknown, But still). I dunno why, but I still really like this movie.

"The Hidden Fortress"
An Akira Kurosawa masterpiece from the 1960's. I recently saw this at a foreign film fest, and I must say, this is probably the funniest (and cleanest) movie I've seen in a long time. Great stuff
Ichigo_89

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:33 pm

American Outlaws. I really good western movie probably the best Colin Farrel movie.

Enemy mine. I good Sci-fi movie that i honestly don't remember much of other than the fact i liked it .
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:59 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:You guys are mentioning fairly well-known titles. XD

I always liked SLC Punk, myself. It's silly and ridiculous and kind of dirty, but I found it pretty entertaining.

Another lesser-known movie I really like is Boondock Saints. That movie is excellent.

SLC Punk is the movie that made me realize that I wasn't really all that punk rock.

As for my contribution: I'm Gonna Git You Sucka! I love that movie. It's like a ghetto-type version of The Naked Gun.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby TallasLint » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:14 pm

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. The most hillariously philospohical movie ever... ^.^
Lint.
TallasLint

Postby fairyprincess90 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:33 pm

Daylight..... with slyvester stalln or however you spell his name.

[color="Magenta"]www.bethmarie.org[/color]

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]My ♥ belongs to TimothyMichael[/SIZE][/color]
fairyprincess90

Postby Technomancer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:38 pm

The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Stephen » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:30 pm

Bubba Hotep. Best Bruce Campbell movie ever. One of the top Comedy Horrors I have ever seen.
Stephen

Postby jon0 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this movie or not but, Brazil, which is directed by Terry Gilliam, Is so funny and yet distrubing at the same time. Imagine "1984" but as a comedy.
jon0

Return to General Entertainment