Cut veggietales on NBC

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Cut veggietales on NBC

Postby creed4 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:39 am

I was just reading an article on http://www.afr.net about Veggietale having to cut some of their content to be shown on NBC, I was wondering what yalls thoughts on this was.

I personally think it bad that NBC is doing this, but the message is still getting out, And the videos are still uncut so It's hard to judge.
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:00 pm

Personally I don't like Veggitales,so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:06 pm

Well.... if these cut episodes introduce kids to the series and they get their parents to buy them the dvds then I think this is a good step.

On the other hand I could go into how weird it is to see freedom of speech limited in such a way. Just because it's Christian, it's okay to censor it? If they tried that for any other religion they could get sued.. Faulty reasoning, I think. I guess it's just because our culture's history is so seeped in Christianity that they see it as okay. The same thing happens with prayer in schools, but that's another topic entirely.

Weird reasoning aside, I think this a good step for veggietales =] I used to watch them all the time!
Kawaiikneko

Postby oro! » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:07 pm

I hate that people always discriminate Christians like that. If it was a Hindu show, they would NOT edit out the Vedas or anything like that, because NBC would want to be seen as tolerant. It's hypocrasy to make Christians be "tolerant" to other religions, but not let us show what we really believe.
Should Big Idea agree to this, though? It is obviously stated in scripture that anyone who is a follower of Christ will be persecuted in some form. The question is, how do we speak the truth in love, while standing for our beliefs?
Did God as Jesus set out to make better-acting people, or to transform us? I am scared that people will be like the Mormons, who keep a lot of good laws without having any truth in it.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:18 pm

oro! wrote:The question is, how do we speak the truth in love, while standing for our beliefs?

ROFL, Big Idea should be standing for their beliefs; after all, they DID write a song for standing up for what you believe in (belie~ve in, belie~ve in, God, *He's the one who'll back you up!* will stand with you~! XD) in the Rack, Shack, and Benny video. NBC apparently has real issues with the whole Christianity thing. They didn't allow any of their hosts to say "Christmas" during this past Christmas, for fear of offending someone of a different religion. I totally agree on the whole hypocrisy thing on their part, though. Either way, as annoying and wrong as it is for NBC to do that, it's good that Veggie Tales is getting this kind of publicity. God can use all things for good, and this is probably one of those things. :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:40 pm

...well, that's just...stupid. ^^;

It's weird, it seems like these days people will edit out any reference to Christianty, either because they'd think it'd offend us (crosses in anime) or because they think it'd offend others....
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:04 pm

[quote="Radical Dreamer"]ROFL, Big Idea should be standing for their beliefs]

Actually, Big Ideas is no longer run by the same people. Big Ideas went bankrupt a couple years ago and I think the people in controll of it now aren't even Christians. The only Veggie tales are even coming to TV is because TV stations are now REQUIRED to have like so many hours of "educational TV"... NBC wanted Veggie Tales but remove all religious content to make just a fun "educational" show.

At first they were only supposed to remove the bible verse at the end but then later they decided they wanted ALL the religious content out (I guess they sat down and actually watched em and saw how Christian they were)

Anyway, I don't really care... if kids want to buy em, the uncut versions are still in stores yea....
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:35 pm

What? This is an incredibly horrible perversion, and shows just what our culture's supposed "religious tolerance" turns out to be - namely putting a muffler on all religious expression so that people know absolutely nothing about what any religion whatsoever believes, so that they can live as selfish overconsumptive parasites feeding on whatever useless consumer products or consumer ideologies they feel like advertising in their programing or commercials. So we want to be a nation of religious tolerance? Play more religious programming! Don't stop until Americans can tell me about both "Atonement" and "Sunyata". It sure beats Desperate Housewives! May God forgive them of the arrogance of thinking they can simply drop the core of the entire show's religious core and for what they have done to our country, indeed to our world.

Edit: I see that I have been too harsh, as the Bible stories remain intact, even if the commentaries have been snipped
GhostontheNet

Postby beau99 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:17 pm

I saw an episode. They're hardly edited at all.

Also, NBC edits all religious programming. Not just Christian.
beau99

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:28 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:The same thing happens with prayer in schools, but that's another topic entirely.

I just wanted to say, this is completely different from prayer in schools, because NBC is not a government affiliated station. Separation of church and state clearly states the government is not to establish religion, so a public school holding a prayer would be an obvious violation of that, as they are a government institution.

NBC doing this is not the same, they are an independent company, which means they could have left the content in if they so chose to. The fact that they did not shows they were trying to avoid nasty letters from non-Christians.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby beau99 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:07 pm

kaemmerite wrote:NBC doing this is not the same, they are an independent company, which means they could have left the content in if they so chose to. The fact that they did not shows they were trying to avoid nasty letters from non-Christians.

Since they're a broadcast network, they also have to abide by FCC rules. One of the rules involves religious-based programming.
beau99

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:14 pm

Oh wait, yeah, whoops, forgot about that. My bad.

Nate

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:20 pm

The way I see it is that if the show offends someone, don't watch it! Well, in this case it would be really GOOD if people do (that is, if they are un-educated with Bible stories and morals and all). But know what I mean? And yeah alot of other bad shows on TV that, well, even say movies when they are edited for any content at all, it's STILL pretty bad. Although it DOES vary on channel to channel. But with the religious equality thing... :/
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby beau99 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:30 pm

I still see it as no big deal.
beau99

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:53 am

beau99 wrote:I saw an episode. They're hardly edited at all.

Also, NBC edits all religious programming. Not just Christian.

Yeah, but I don't think equal opportunity censorship counts as a very high ideal, as my original ranting alluded to in mentioning major technical terms key to Christianity or Buddhism. It is snips of these sorts that deprive the equation of the "so what?" factor.

Since they're a broadcast network, they also have to abide by FCC rules. One of the rules involves religious-based programming.
Woah, the FCC hasn't yet wiped out the constitutionally mandated rights of free speech and for the State to have no right to interfere with the free practice of religion, which would include mainstream networks broadcasting unfettered religious content if they wish to.
GhostontheNet

Postby rocklobster » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:04 am

GhostontheNet wrote: Woah, the FCC hasn't yet wiped out the constitutionally mandated rights of free speech and for the State to have no right to interfere with the free practice of religion, which would include mainstream networks broadcasting unfettered religious content if they wish to.

If they had, EWTN (a Catholic-run cable channel) or TBN would no longer be airing.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:10 am

kaemmerite wrote:I just wanted to say, this is completely different from prayer in schools, because NBC is not a government affiliated station. Separation of church and state clearly states the government is not to establish religion, so a public school holding a prayer would be an obvious violation of that, as they are a government institution.

NBC doing this is not the same, they are an independent company, which means they could have left the content in if they so chose to. The fact that they did not shows they were trying to avoid nasty letters from non-Christians.

I was merely referring to the hipocrisy in some schools concerning religions, not the act of the school's performing the prayers. For example, I know of a school that didn't allow it's students to pray outloud at all (even in an unofficial sort of before lunch prayer), but allowed Islamic students to go out during the day to do their 5 pillars. I understand the whole government institution sort of thing.

If we really want to go into this I could quote the supposed "seperation of church and state" part of the bill of rights and you could see that the way we practice it now is not in there at all.

[quote]Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof]

What it warns against is the government setting up a "state religion", not outlawing all religious content in a government institution. That idea is more taken from an unofficial letter written by John Adams to a group of concerned Christians who worried the government would limit their religious freedom. There's a difference.

If this post is too political I'll gladly edit it. I'm also WAY off topic.
Kawaiikneko

Postby dyzzispell » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:55 am

Kawaiikneko wrote:What it warns against is the government setting up a "state religion", not outlawing all religious content in a government institution. That idea is more taken from an unofficial letter written by John Adams to a group of concerned Christians who worried the government would limit their religious freedom. There's a difference.

I was just about to say that. The law was set up to protect religion from government, not government from religion, as it is today.
However, what bothers me is that they continue to cut out God and prayer and the Bible, and then whine and complain, saying "where was God" when things like 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina happen. If they want God to get out of their way so bad, then they will lose his protection, too. I don't know what we as a country expect anymore. You tell him to leave, and he will.
Again, way off topic. :brow:
But besides that, the only reason this editing thing would bother me, is if I saw conclusive proof on that station, that they are partial to editing Christian references, and very much tolerant of other religions. It's a double standard and doesn't set a very good example of "tolerance".
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Postby beau99 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:20 am

rocklobster wrote:If they had, EWTN (a Catholic-run cable channel) or TBN would no longer be airing.

That's the thing.

They're cable networks, not broadcast networks. Cable networks aren't controlled by FCC sanctions. If they were, MTV and Comedy Central would be off the air.
beau99

Postby Heart of Sword » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:00 pm

It might be hypocrisy, but hey... parents will want to buy the DVDs. The message will still get out. I *want* television (unless it's a religious channel) to edit religion out of kid shows. Most of you would be upset if the Sesame Street characters went to worship at a mosque, right? It's best to edit out all religious stuff, Christian or not, in children's shows shown on TV. That way, at least we don't have to worry about the kids hearing false teaching.
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:42 pm

The reason for the First Amendment is because in the 18th century before the Colonies became States each section had it's own Established Church that even non-members had to pay public tax to help support.For example if you were either
a Presbyterian or Baptist and lived in Virginia you would still have to pay to support the Anglican church.In New England it was the Congregational Church that was the Established Church.This was common also in Europe where religious dissidents would be taxed to help support the State Church no matter what it was.
Actually the Congregational Church remained the Established Church in,I believe,
Massachuetts up until around 1820 when it was the last of the Established Churches to be dis-stablished.
mitsuki lover

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:40 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:The reason for the First Amendment is because in the 18th century before the Colonies became States each section had it's own Established Church that even non-members had to pay public tax to help support.For example if you were either
a Presbyterian or Baptist and lived in Virginia you would still have to pay to support the Anglican church.In New England it was the Congregational Church that was the Established Church.This was common also in Europe where religious dissidents would be taxed to help support the State Church no matter what it was.
Actually the Congregational Church remained the Established Church in,I believe,
Massachuetts up until around 1820 when it was the last of the Established Churches to be dis-stablished.

Uhh...Yay for spontaneous history lessons...? o_O

Anyways, on the one hand, HOS, I agree with you. On the other hand, I think the main reason why this is such a big deal is because Veggie Tales began off-air, so everyone already sort of knows that it's a Christian production. If it were like Sesame Street, and was more of a TV-only show, then no one would really know that it was Christian beforehand, so it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Umm...I hope that made sense. XD;
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Heart of Sword » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:59 pm

That was random... I think. :lol:

Yeah, I understand that, but if you look at the big picture, it's not so bad.
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:07 am

beau99 wrote:That's the thing.

They're cable networks, not broadcast networks. Cable networks aren't controlled by FCC sanctions. If they were, MTV and Comedy Central would be off the air.
In light of the blatant unconstitutionality of such sanctions, the fact that I recieve PAX on Network TV out here, you're going to need to cite which laws you refer to.
GhostontheNet

Postby TallasLint » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:28 am

Even PBS edits out christian references from some shows. Jay Jay the Jet Plane definitely has christian morals and such, and I was like "wow, this is a nice 'teach kids morals' show, and then I saw it at my church library, and I was like, ...huh...and I watched it, and PBS had edited out mention of god. I had no Idea the show was christian at all. But I think Veggietales on public television might be a good thing, even edited. It would still have the morals. I'd rather have a kid watch veggie tales without the bible verse at the end, than Spongebob any day. Veggie tales would still have the humor and morals, and people might buy the tapes or dvd's.

I want to know what they'll do with episodes like Esther, and Rack Shack and Benny, though.
Lint.
TallasLint

Postby creed4 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:35 pm

It's sad that our culture has gone so far, I hope that Christians start doing more high quality brodcasting and give an alternitve to other media outlets
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Nate » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:09 am

Heart of Sword wrote:It's best to edit out all religious stuff, Christian or not, in children's shows shown on TV. That way, at least we don't have to worry about the kids hearing false teaching.

Heart of Sword, I could hug you! :D In fact, I think I will. :hug:

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking too. If there was a cartoon about how Hinduism was awesome and everyone should be a Hindu, would we as Christians want our kids to watch that? Wouldn't we want the station to kinda downplay the Hindu stuff and just have it be a regular cartoon? Most of us here would probably say yes, so isn't it kinda hypocritical to complain about them editing Christian references out of stuff if we would want Hindu or Muslim or Buddhist stuff edited out?

Just a little something to think about. ^^

Nate

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:37 am

kaemmerite wrote:Heart of Sword, I could hug you! :D In fact, I think I will. :hug:

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking too. If there was a cartoon about how Hinduism was awesome and everyone should be a Hindu, would we as Christians want our kids to watch that? Wouldn't we want the station to kinda downplay the Hindu stuff and just have it be a regular cartoon? Most of us here would probably say yes, so isn't it kinda hypocritical to complain about them editing Christian references out of stuff if we would want Hindu or Muslim or Buddhist stuff edited out?

Just a little something to think about. ^^
Complete and utter nonsense. As I consider it, almost any religious perspective is better than this secular materialistic crypto-nihilist garbage they peddle on the networks. I wanna see more of Yeshua, Buddha, Muhammed, and the Brahman, and less Worship My American Idol Because Celebrities are Our Only Gods, less Decadent Housewives, less Who Wants to Sell Their Soul and Work as a High-up in a Megacorp. I want to have children I can engage in decent intelligent conversations about the concepts of substitutionary atonement in Christianity and sunyaya and the subtle mind in Buddhism. Most of the reason 'Christian America' is so spiritually impoverished is that we think religious tolerance consists of a choking stranglehood on any expression of religion having any relevence to real life, much less hearing evidence that any of it is actually true and that man need not live on bread alone.
GhostontheNet

Postby Authority3000 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:41 am

Phil Vischer's response to criticism resulting from the edits.

Scarecrow wrote:Actually, Big Ideas is no longer run by the same people. Big Ideas went bankrupt a couple years ago and I think the people in controll of it now aren't even Christians. [...]

Phil Vischer and several of the other original Big Idea members are still in charge of creating and redistrubuting Veggietales, they're just not in charge of Big Idea Productions (i.e. the company itself) anymore. Big Idea's staff and management didn't really change much when they went bankrupt and were purchased. They simply have to answer to Classic Media, now.
Authority3000

Postby beau99 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:53 am

GhostontheNet wrote:In light of the blatant unconstitutionality of such sanctions, the fact that I recieve PAX on Network TV out here, you're going to need to cite which laws you refer to.

What in the world are you talking about?

PAX (now i NETWORK) is a cable network. They're not subject to any sanctioning.
beau99

Next

Return to General Entertainment