calvin and hobbes

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

calvin and hobbes

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:07 pm

i've checked this site and i've seen absolutely no topics on this insanely brilliant, extremely hilarious, and amazingly imaginative comic series :bang:. CALVIN AND HOBBES!!!! i mean. come ON. this is THE comic. calvin. the unheard of boy genius. hobbes. the fantasy friend that gives this comic series so much charm. and all the other great characters. this series is so awesome. and i was so sad when they ended it. so, is there anyone else who loves calvin and hobbes besides me? i sure hope so.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:15 pm

It is definately THE greatest american comic.

"Describe Newton's second law in your own words"

"Yakka foob mog Grug pubba wub Zink Watoom Chumble Spuzz Gazork"
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby soul alive » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:42 pm

I absolutely adore Calvin and Hobbes. My folks have a couple of the books, and I love to read through them and laugh my face off.

Calvin: *playing Spaceman Spiff* Krak-ow! Krak-ow!
Susie: Calvin, what is the capital of Poland?
Calvin: *still playing Spaceman Spiff* Krak-ow! Krak-ow!
Susie: Thanks, Calvin.

XDDD
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:20 am

I have loved the Calvin and Hobbes comics for years, I even dressed up as Stupendious Man for halloween, though my costume was because my mom thought that with the little points on the cowl that it looked to evil in red.

In other random news CAA podcast 3 has a blatant Calvin and Hobbes reference for those who know the comic a little.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Kurama » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:56 am

I LOVE CALVIN AND HOBBES!!!!!!!!!!! Hobbes is soo cute! XD
Kurama

Postby rocklobster » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:40 am

Why do you think I've temporarily chosen Spaceman Spiff as my avatar? Could it be I'm a Calvin fan too?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:27 pm

The comic that made ADD popular!
mitsuki lover

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:26 pm

i'm glad to know that there are other Calvin and Hobbes fans out there besides me (and rocklobster :thumb: ).

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Ashley » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:29 pm

I <3 Calvin and Hobbes!
Ashley

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:48 pm

I don't hold a high opinion of American comics in general (compared to European comics and Japanese manga) but Calvin and Hobbes is awesome. The cream of the crop! (Best humour comic).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:15 pm

My ranking of the funnies would be:

1.Peanuts
2.Blondie
3.Calvin & Hobbes
4.Luann
5.Beetle Bailey
6.Hi & Lois
7.The Far Side
8.B.C.
9.Hagar The Horrible
10.Sally Forth
mitsuki lover

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:23 pm

i know, we're getting rather off topic but oh well. here are my tops:

1. Calvin and Hobbes
2. Zits
3. Foxtrot
4. Beetle Bailey
5. Baby Blues
6. Peanuts

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:28 pm

1. Calvin & Hobbes
2. The Far Side
3. Dilbert

Yes, I love C&H, best comic strip ever. I have the three volume hardcover edition with every strip, because it is awesome.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:41 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Yes, I love C&H, best comic strip ever. I have the three volume hardcover edition with every strip, because it is awesome.

WHOA! every single calvin and hobbes comic strip. i only have the essential, authorative, and indispensable calvin and hobbes. and then, i have "there's treasure everywhere".

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:41 pm

Does the fact that I've never really read Calvin and Hobbes make me...un-American? XD

Anyways, my top 5 favorite comic strips would be

1. The Far Side
2. Dilbert
3. Fox Trot
4. Peanuts
5. Luann
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:46 pm

jon_jinn wrote:WHOA! every single calvin and hobbes comic strip. i only have the essential, authorative, and indispensable calvin and hobbes. and then, i have "there's treasure everywhere".

I have all those, the Lazy Sunday book, Killer Weirdos From Outer Space, Revenge of the Baby-sat, and Yukon Ho!

Nate

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:45 pm

I think the hardcover Calvin and Hobbes is still out.

I want to get it and the The Far Side book that has every Far Side comic in it.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:34 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Killer Weirdos From Outer Space

killer weirdos from outer space?...i think you might've mixed up "weirdos from another planet" with "the attack of the deranged, mutant, killer, monster snow goons".

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:37 pm

Yeah, you're right...I meant Weirdos From Another Planet. XD;;

Nate

Postby Felix » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:53 pm

So easy to get them confused XD

As for me, I'd probably say C&H is at the top of my list too, followed closely by Sherman's Lagoon, then The Far Side.
Felix

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:50 pm

I grew up with Peanuts which is why I rank it higher than Calvin & Hobbes.I should have added Dennis The Menace,another one that I grew up with,to the list.In many ways Calvin is a modernized version of Dennis but a Dennis with ADD.Could you see the problems the poor Wilsons would have if Calvin lived next to them instead of Dennis?
mitsuki lover

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:40 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Could you see the problems the poor Wilsons would have if Calvin lived next to them instead of Dennis?

oh man. that would be HILARIOUS :lol:. anyways, what are your favorite parts in the comic?...i said that wrong. i mean, what's your favorite story(ies) in calvin and hobbes. mine would have to be the camping trips. those are hilarious. and something disastrous happens every single time they go camping. it's so funny.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby righteous_slave » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:01 am

Calvin and Hobbes added a depth to the comic pages that hadn't been seen in years. Beautiful art, especially the imaginary sequences, lots of deep thoughts Calvin "Do you believe in the devil, someone dedicated to driving man to evil" Hobbes "I'm not sure man needs the help" (not exact quotes) the wide variety of secnarios, real and imagined, camping, school outer space, back in time, ect. Bill Watterson is a genius, and it is a crying shame that his fights with the syndicates over artists rights and his own high expectations of his own work burned him out so quickly.

Adding to the fave lists (order varies on mood)
Zits, Calvin and Hobbes, Foxtrot, Peanuts, Get Fuzzy
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Ashley » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:08 pm

There were several of my favorite arcs; I liked "Calvinball", the one where Hobbes is put in the dryer, just about any of the strips involving Suzy, and my favorite was his cardboard box of science and doom. :lol:
Ashley

Postby rocklobster » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:37 pm

I wish Calvinball was for real.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:55 pm

No need. If you've read any of the books, you already know how to play it :P.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:05 pm

The only comic to be named for a French Reformer and an English Philosopher.
mitsuki lover

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:27 pm

jon_jinn wrote:i've checked this site and i've seen absolutely no topics on this...
Really?

You checked the site? How? I did a search on "Calvin Hobbes" and it returned 41 results.

So I entered the exact same title you did and clicked "check for existing topics" and that came back positive.

Out of curiosity, what rubric are you using to "check this site" that returned no results. I might need to set the site up to better accomodate user searches. The site must only be set up such that google can find it (google for "site:http://www.christiananime.net calvin hobbes" without the quotes, if you're curious).
Mithrandir

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:40 pm

Mithrandir wrote:Really?

You checked the site? How? I did a search on "Calvin Hobbes" and it returned 41 results.

So I entered the exact same title you did and clicked "check for existing topics" and that came back positive.

Out of curiosity, what rubric are you using to "check this site" that returned no results. I might need to set the site up to better accomodate user searches. The site must only be set up such that google can find it (google for "site:http://www.christiananime.net calvin hobbes" without the quotes, if you're curious).

i simply went to "New Thread" and in the title box, i typed, Calvin and Hobbes, and clicked on the box to the right that said "check for existing topics". only one thread came up and it only contained a reply having to do with calvin and hobbes. the main idea of the thread had nothing much to do with calvin and hobbes.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Rocketshipper » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:24 pm

Calvin and Hobbes is the "Seinfeld" of American Comic strips. Pure genuis. My Dad bought me the hardbound collection for christmas last year and I recently finished reading it all. There are so many things in the series that I never caught when I was younger, so many layers. It's awesome.

Calvin: I used to hate writing assignments, but now I enjoy them. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog! Want to see my book report?
Hobbes: "The Dynamics of Interbeing and Monological Imperatives in "Dick and Jane": a Study of Psychic Transrelational Gender Modes"
Calvin: Academia here I come!

Best strip ever! I seriously considered printing a copy of this off and carrying it around with me at college.

And do do my top rankings of American Comic strips...

1. Garfield
2. Calvin and Hobbes
3. Fox Trot
4. Zits
5. The Farside
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Return to General Entertainment