College Football 06!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

College Football 06!

Postby Peanut » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:25 pm

*Is finally overcome by the urge to post about the 06 season of College Football*
Alright...I have a confession to make...I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL (...the american kind...). And I can't wait untill the start of this season (ONLY 6 MORE DAYS!!!!). Anyway, is anyone as excited...or as nearly excited as me about this upcoming season? Oh, and while I am on the subject of College Football, I have created a Yahoo College Football Pick'Em group so if anyone is interested in joining it here's the information you need to play:

Go to:
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/college
Click on "Create or Join group"
Group Name: Peanut's Group
Group ID#: 10682
Password: blah

(Edit: Fixed the password problem...thanks for pointing that out termyt)
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby freerock1 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:08 pm

I'm in.

Do you know if it will eventually allow us to make picks ahead of that week, as it does in the NFL Pick 'ems? Reason I ask is that I'm planning to be away the week of the 9th, so I may end up missing a week.
Theme Scripture: Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. (Galatians 5:1)

And a verse for all us single folks: Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? (1 Corinthians 9:5)

:dance: Looking for a GOOD music mix? Check out these stations:
Grey FM Heartland -- a mix of Country and Contemporary Christian music (Listen Now!)
Grey FM Downtown -- a mix of mainstream and Christian pop and rock music (Listen Now!)

More real stuff...
freerock1

Location: In your computer speakers, if you're listening to ChargeRadio.com

Postby Peanut » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:15 pm

Hmm...I don't think you can...but I can tweek some things so that it will drop your lowest score (which will help all of us).

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:55 pm

I keep getting this error.

There was a problem:

• The password is incorrect. (Error #109)

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby termyt » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:06 am

The Blah is actually blah

I'm in. Sounds like fun.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:58 pm

I'm in and already did my pics for week one!

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:30 pm

Count me in too!!! *Counts how many leagues he's in this year* 1.....2.....3.....4. You know.... this could get a little difficult.
WrestlingOtaku

Postby Peanut » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:51 pm

*Bumps thread slightly*

Alright...there is only one game left for this weeks pick set...and well...let's just say that it doesn't matter to much in determing this weeks standings...in case you haven't been on the pick'em group site thing...here is how we line up so far...(Note: I'm listing us by

1. Genma's Guesses (either 20 or 21 pts.)
2. Termyt (Same as Genma)
3. freerock1 (either 19 or 20 pts)
4. Peanut (same as freerock1)
5. The Eaters ( same as freerock1 and I)
6. meboeck (either 18 or 19 pts.)
7. wingzero22 (either 15 or 16 pts.)

The good news is back before the whole thing started, I changed the rules so that your two lowest scoring weeks would be dropped...so, if you manage to do really well the next couple of weeks...then this week shall forever be forgotten in the snads of time...

And now for the real reason why I bumped this thread...I noticed that a very big matchup between two ranked teams was left off the pick set for this week, and, since they play tommorrow, I have a bad feeling that that means that it will be on next weeks set (if it isn't...then the people at yahoo missed one of the biggest match-ups of the year). So, if this is the case, then I would recomend making your picks tommorow unless you want to miss this week...thank you, that is all...

Peanut

Peanut

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:29 pm

W00t!!! 20 for 21! Unfortunately I choose Baylor over TCU. That might of been a little bit on the dumb side.
WrestlingOtaku

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:03 pm

No dumb would have been Washington State over Auburn.
mitsuki lover

Postby Peanut » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:19 pm

eh...the only real dumb choice would of been North Texas over Texas...

Peanut

Postby termyt » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:22 am

lol

Well we did have one person pick a MAC team to beat a Big Ten team. While that definitely doesn't qualify as "dumb," it is a bit suspicious.
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Peanut » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:18 pm

Well...if they did manage to get an upset...we'd all feel quite crushed...you remeber Geroge Mason from this years Tourney Pick'em...I almost lost because of them...

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:10 pm

For those of you who haven't noticed...the next set of picks is finally up...(GO TEMPLE!!!)

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:00 am

termyt wrote:lol

Well we did have one person pick a MAC team to beat a Big Ten team. While that definitely doesn't qualify as "dumb," it is a bit suspicious.

Well, that is not fully true. Yes, I did pick a MAC team over a Big Ten and still believe that a MAC team can or could beat a Big 10 team just as a c-usa team can beat a SEC team.

We did have three Division IAA teams beat Divison I teams this week.

Montana State University beat Colorado

Portland State University beat New Mexico

University of Richmond beat Duke

And that was just in week one.

Northern Illinois is alot like Southern Miss. Southern Miss even being in the C-USA, they play tough vs. SEC schools. They have beating Alabama many times over the years.

Northern Illinois has beating some big time teams. In 2004, I think, they beat Alabama and Maryland back to back.

Chicago Sun-Times pick Northern Illinois over OSU last week and even with the score not being close, NIU did have 343 total yards in that game.

Now for a #1 team, thats bad.

If I knew that Brad Taylor wasn't going to play quaterback for Baylor, I wouldn't have pick them.

TCU has had some good teams over the years, but defense is one thing that needed to get better. They did look better this year and last years game vs. OU, but that was about it.

I knew Brad Taylor is a Fr this year for Baylor, but I have heard nothing but good things about them and it sounded like even him being a Fr, he could have had the starting job. Now, I think it has been redshirted this year. :shady:

The Cal vs Tenn game. If you feel bad about picking Cal over them, you shouldn't. I'm a big Tennessee fan and yes, I did pick Tennessee over Cal, but I didn't think Tennessee would have beating them.

I did feel that Tennessee wouldn't be the bad team like last year, because of the changes that they did on the coaching staff, but I didn't think it would change that fast.

But I'm still at a point that, I will not start jumping up and down and saying Tennessee is back to their good old days, not untill the Fla game, I don't know if Tennessee can beat Fla this year, but if they play close and then I feel alot better about Tennessee's season.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby termyt » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:08 am

Sorry Winger, I didn't really mean it as a slight. I was more playing injured because you chose a MAC team over my beloved Ohio State. I meant no offense.
termyt

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:12 pm

termyt wrote:Sorry Winger, I didn't really mean it as a slight. I was more playing injured because you chose a MAC team over my beloved Ohio State. I meant no offense.

Don't worry about it. I wasn't offend (sp). I was going to post a wrap up on my thoughts about the games from last week, but I didn't have time untill now to do it.

A part of me had thought about it as was I crazy when I first pick NIU over OSU.

OSU offence look great, but their defense wasn't that good, but I wonder if they were holding back a little and put all the cards on the table, before they play Texas. I know that Texas played North Texas and I knew that they would kill NTU, but man that quarterback look good and makes you for get all about Vince Young in a way, which is a good QB too.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:30 pm

Did anyone pick Boise State over Oregon State?
mitsuki lover

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:39 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Did anyone pick Boise State over Oregon State?

Both teams were not on the Top 25 ranking. The picks are teams that are in the Top 25 rankings.

So, they were not on the list.

BSU is rank 30 in the AP poll, before the game with Oregon State.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Peanut » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:38 pm

Wingzero22 wrote:I know that Texas played North Texas and I knew that they would kill NTU, but man that quarterback look good and makes you for get all about Vince Young in a way, which is a good QB too.

Yes, Colt McCoy did look really good...against North Texas. I don't think he will look nearly that good against Ohio State (at least I hope not...for Ohio States sake...) and that could be a bad thing. Let's not forget that Vince Young had an uncanny ability to take his entire team on his sholders and win a big game, if this game is close (which it should be) I think Ohio States might have the edge...unless their defence doesn't show up...then they will be dead. And...Akron has just beaten Nc State! (that one goes out to you termyt)...

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:44 pm

Peanut wrote:Akron has just beaten Nc State! (that one goes out to you termyt)...

And the NC State fans are still on shock over it. They haven't left yet. I feel that the running back for Akron got in the endzone.

Now it time for ND vs PSU.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Peanut » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:36 pm

Well...thanks to BC and ND, nobody will go undefeated this week...

(Edit: The results through 9/10/06)

This week:

1. Peanut (21)
2. The Eaters (21)
3. mechana2015 (20)
4. Termyt (20)
5. meboeck (20)
6. Genma's Guesses (20)
7. wingzero22 (18)
8. freerock1 (0)

Overall:

1. Peanut (41)
2. The Eaters (41)
3. Genma's Guesses (41)
4. Termyt (41)
5. meboeck (39)
6. wingzero22 (33)
7. freerock1 (20)
8. mechana2015 (20)

Peanut

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:55 am

i'm not in college or anything and i don't know much of the teams either but my brother went to UCLA so...you could say, i'm a UCLA Bruins fan.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby termyt » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:56 am

GO ZIPS!

Ha, my alma mater has some football players now. We didn't have any when Iwas a student there. Looking for the second MAC title in a row this year! Look out, Toledo.

Peanut wrote:Let's not forget that Vince Young had an uncanny ability to take his entire team on his sholders and win a big game

Colt McCoy may develop that ability. It takes experience and a pretty good cast of supporting players to accomplish that. He's got the support he needs, he just need experience and there are few better places to get it than Texas.

It was a great game - no doubt it'll be looked upon as one of the best this season.
termyt

Postby Peanut » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:37 pm

...sadly...the score doesn't show how great of a game it was...anyway, I agree with termyt about Colt McCoy, I just really couldn't choose him to win over Ohio State when his only experience in a real College Football game was against North Texas...there is a big difference between Ohio St. and North Texas skill wise...

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:46 pm

I thought the OSU/Texas game was all hype and nothing to really show for it as great game.

It was a good game for OSU and that was about it. IMO

Now talk about a game that was great was the Air Force/ Tennessee.

But as a Tennessee fan, I'm a little worried now with Fla coming to town.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Peanut » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:51 pm

I wouldn't be, the Airforce game might of been a very nice wake up call to Tennessee, in fact it should of been. They might come out an play Florida like they played Cal. Anyway, the game that I am exicted for this week is WVU v. Maryland...which will hopefully reiterate why WVU is a National title contender...

Peanut

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:11 pm

Peanut wrote:the game that I am exicted for this week is WVU v. Maryland...which will hopefully reiterate why WVU is a National title contender...

Yeah, there is alot of good games this week. I think WVU/Maryland game will be good untill late in the half, with WVU winning.

But other games this week.

Neb vs USC

Auburn vs LSU

Tenn vs Fla

ND vs Mich

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby termyt » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:32 am

West Virginny has an impressive win streak, but they still need to prove themselves in the eyes of the pollsters. They not only need to win, but do so convincingly.
termyt

Postby Peanut » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:17 am

They should...it's a Thursday night game at Mountaineer Field. Both of their Heisman Candidates (Pat White and Steve Slaton) are healthy and greatly improved from last year. They have a great offensive line, a couple of good recievers and a relatively nasty defense...sure, their secondary is young an unexperienced...but, they should be fine...I hope...

Peanut

Next

Return to General Entertainment