Death Note LIVE ACTION!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Debitt » Wed May 03, 2006 2:36 pm

Most excellent! ^___^ I do hope they distribute the movie outside of Japan.

I'm a bit divided on the thought of a US remake - I think handled well, it could be very good, but I worry that a studio out here wouldn't do the casting right. Death Note isn't exactly a story that HAS to take place in Japan with Japanese actors, etc. but the series does have a Japanese feel in my opinion, and it wouldn't have the same air if it was done anywhere else/cast with other actors.

My two cents, at least.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed May 03, 2006 3:10 pm

An American remake would probably make the shinigami demons or something, thus leading to more christian crusades against anime ^^;

I'm so excited to see this! With this and the end of the manga I think a new avatar is in order...
Kawaiikneko

Postby soul alive » Wed May 03, 2006 10:20 pm

This looks very cool, definately worth pursuing when released in the US. I've really been enjoying the manga. *speculates on how long the release will take*

And I agree, the brief shot of the shinigami looks very true to the manga. (Scared me a bit because I wasn't expecting it, lol)
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Kawaiikneko » Thu May 04, 2006 4:31 am

I'm worried about how Ryuk will look in action .__. That's just one frame...
Kawaiikneko

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu May 04, 2006 8:38 am

For those of us who have st00pid computers that wouldn't let us view the trailer on the official site, you can view the trailer here: http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/005902.html

Personally, I think this looks AWESOME! I hope that Ryuk looks smooth in animation, but the peek of him that we got in the trailer was fantastic. . . Osaka actually screamed. Osaka is easily startled. I am easily startled. XD

Anways, it looks like they follow the plot really close. If that's the case, this movie might just equal very yes. :cool:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu May 04, 2006 1:05 pm

Not to play devil's advocate, but I wasn't completely thrilled by what we saw of Ryuk. I captured the image and I think it looks like somewhat cheap CG (by today's standards, anyway). But in motion he might look much better, so I withhold judgment.

[quote="Kawaiikneko"]An American remake would probably make the shinigami demons or something, thus leading to more christian crusades against anime ^^]
Probably, but think about it positively: Light makes a deal with demons and he pays for it in the end. Of course, the view of death in this world is decidedly non-Christian, but I think you see my point (a rather small one).
uc pseudonym

Postby Tarnish » Thu May 04, 2006 1:50 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:For those of us who have st00pid computers that wouldn't let us view the trailer on the official site, you can view the trailer here:

Thanks ^^
Now I just have to wait for it to load...
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu May 04, 2006 2:11 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Not to play devil's advocate, but I wasn't completely thrilled by what we saw of Ryuk. I captured the image and I think it looks like somewhat cheap CG (by today's standards, anyway). But in motion he might look much better, so I withhold judgment.

Yeah, the second time that I watched the trailer, it wasn't very impressive. I think I was impressed the first time around because the shock value was high enough to keep me from paying careful attention. However, I hope that the CGI featured in the trailer wasn't the final version of Ryuk. CGI elements are completed after the initial shooting, so maybe that's not the smoothest version of Ryuk.

But that's probably some serious wishful thinking.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kawaiikneko » Thu May 04, 2006 7:35 pm

I'm planning not to get my hopes up too high for Ryuk. As Osaka said it might not be the final version, however I need to keep reminding myself that I have REALLY high standards set for cgi because of American movies <.<;;

Probably, but think about it positively: Light makes a deal with demons and he pays for it in the end. Of course, the view of death in this world is decidedly non-Christian, but I think you see my point (a rather small one).

True, but since he doesn't get his "punishment" until the end and there are two movies, I'm sure some people would pre-judge. However, as this actually hasn't happened, it's a silly thing to worry about XD;
Kawaiikneko

Postby That Dude » Fri May 12, 2006 1:42 pm

Dude...This is so bloomin cool...I'm totally watching it as soon as possible.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Kawaiikneko » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:42 pm

Yay!! It's out ^^ Check out this clip of Ryuk. He doesn't look half bad~

http://youtube.com/watch?v=63OXcTQYMcM&search=death%20note%20movie

Edit: If you follow that search (death note movie) you'll see the "Making of" videos. I'm watching Part II right now, and even though I don't know much Japanese I was able to piece together (I believe) that there's an original character by the name of Akino Shiori (to the best of my listening ability XD). I'm wondering how they'll work her in... <.<;

I'm a little annoyed by the fact that Raye hardly looks American and Watari is very Japanese (isn't he supposed to be English?) Ah, it must have been too much to ask. I was getting my hopes up after seeing that American-looking guy acting as Lind L. Taylor.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Tarnish » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:29 pm

Coool. @__@ I can't wait for this to come out, but I'm a little nervous on how close it'll follow the series. ^^;;
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:19 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:Yay!! It's out ^^ Check out this clip of Ryuk. He doesn't look half bad~

I can't believe this public computer can't play it. Ah well, it shall be watched eventually.

Kawaiikneko wrote:I'm a little annoyed by the fact that Raye hardly looks American and Watari is very Japanese (isn't he supposed to be English?) Ah, it must have been too much to ask. I was getting my hopes up after seeing that American-looking guy acting as Lind L. Taylor.

Wasn't Lind Japanese in the first place? It probably never said, but I would assume a detail like that. But that is too bad, because I liked Watari (and his Englishness is a part of his character, if a small part).
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:09 pm

I have yet to read "Death Note," but I might just have to now. Seems pretty interesting.

Oh yeah, and Ryuk scared the crap out of me in the first trailer. o-o
Myoti

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:03 am

" wrote:Q: What is the big difference between Manga and Movie?
A: In the movie, Ray's fiance, Misora Naomi, will be playing acitve role more than Manga. Maybe we could say she's a key person that'll be associating with Kira case from different aspect than Manga. Also, we developed her character since Seto Asaka, whose mood is similar to Naomi, will be playing her on the movie.

Q: How's CG going for Ryuk?
A: We're still creating it. Reliable staff are creating it, so I'm sure he'll be a real Ryuk. By the way, during the film shooting, we placed a doll which is 2.5 meter and pretended that's CG'd Ryuk. It was very hard to carry around this Ryuk, lol.

Q: What did you care about Light and L's reproduction?
A: We paid attention to make them look like the manga. We dyed Fujiwara-san's hair and started to create the role from visual aspect. On the other hand, Matsuyama-san started from the way to sit. Also, when speaking, he'll ignore the punctuation and talk. I thought L not thinking anything about his listener would fit his role well, lol.
Arrow: When Fujiwara-san dyed his hair, he could easily became Light. Matsuyama-san's ultimating L-sitting.

Q: Why did you put in the original character, Akino Shiori?
A: When I read the manga all at once, I was amazed that Light is really a bad guy! Rather, it was almost impressive. In order to deliver this Light's badness to the audience, Shiori, Light's childhood friend, was needed. Please look forward to her activities in the movie.

Q: Is there anything you were particular about when shooting?
A: I was particular about visuals like action scenes (ie. bus jack) and details of the settings. Light's room turned out pretty good, as you can see on the home page, lol. At first, it had boom box, but I replaced it with a vacuum cleaner. It'd probably show more of Light's clean freak part.
Arrow: In the movie, it'll have surveillance camera scene that L suggested. Directer said it took long time to shoot the surveillance camera scene.

Q: What's the ending of the movie?
A: We respects the original but also dramatized a little. It has the original ending. Of course, this will be an interesting ending that WJ fan will be concent, so please keep your expectation high!!

The above was taken from the DN fansite deathgod.org (ugh, I feel so weird typing that in).

Wasn't Lind Japanese in the first place? It probably never said, but I would assume a detail like that. But that is too bad, because I liked Watari (and his Englishness is a part of his character, if a small part)

Hmm, I rememer him being American looking, but he's not! My memory is dying T_T Ah well, the American thing fits since Lind L. Taylor doesn't sound like a Japanese name.
Kawaiikneko

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:50 pm

Thanks for posting that interview.

interview wrote:On the other hand, Matsuyama-san started from the way to sit.

That's funny.

interview wrote:When I read the manga all at once, I was amazed that Light is really a bad guy! Rather, it was almost impressive. In order to deliver this Light's badness to the audience, Shiori, Light's childhood friend, was needed. Please look forward to her activities in the movie.

I'm continually amazed by how many people seemed to think Light was good. The only thing that kept me reading Death Note long enough to become involved in the plot was the fact that the protagonist was the villain. Given the way he describes reading the manga, the cynical side of me wants to say he decided Light was evil once he lost. Because heroes never lose...
uc pseudonym

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:18 pm

I still wish Ryuk's face were less cartoon-y. Something about his eyes completely destroys the credibility of the whole CGI for me. I think it has something to do with the way they attempt to have reflected light in his eyes. It doesn't look realistic. Still, it's a big step up from that first CGI in the original trailer. I'm looking forward to seeing this, if I'm ever given the chance!

Note: For all of us who aren't hardcore, Japanese speaking Otakus, there's also a subtitled version of the original trailer in the "Explore more videos" box" to the right of the video window.

Mangafanatic

Postby That Dude » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:49 pm

I'm pretty darn excited...This looks really neato. And L looks pretty darn convincing from the preview.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:34 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I'm continually amazed by how many people seemed to think Light was good. The only thing that kept me reading Death Note long enough to become involved in the plot was the fact that the protagonist was the villain. Given the way he describes reading the manga, the cynical side of me wants to say he decided Light was evil once he lost. Because heroes never lose...

Translation is annoying... but I think the emphasis is placed differently than what you're thinking. When I first read it I read it like "I was amazed Light was a really bad guy" - as in he was surprised at how evil Light acted... I dunno, it could really fall either way.

On the other hand, yes! I know what you're talking about. When the manga finished I read a post by someone on the townl forum arguing that Light was good and a higher-than-normal-human-beings type person because he chose not to use the notebook for himself. Personally I always thought of him as the antagonist (though I wasn't always rooting for L... Morally I was rooting for L, but for the sake of excitement I was rooting for Light), and I really liked the idea of following the "bad guy".

When it comes down to it, I think the movie will have a very hard time capturing all the deeper moral issues in the manga.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:28 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:When it comes down to it, I think the movie will have a very hard time capturing all the deeper moral issues in the manga.

I see what you mean, the manga had so much, and it would be kind of hard to fill in everything that happened in a movie.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby AngelSakura » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:18 am

Okay. Ohmigosh, "Dani California", ohmigosh. I heard they would be using it in the Death Note movie, but... Rargh. (fangirl squeal of delight) Death Note AND the Red Hot Chili Peppers...how much better does it really get? XD
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby That Dude » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:25 pm

I was pretty surprised as well to hear RHCP in the preview.
That Dude

Postby rocklobster » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:32 pm

Hey, is the new album any good? I love those Chilli Peppers!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby That Dude » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:34 pm

Has there been any new info on the movies yet?
That Dude

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:06 pm

The movie ends when Raito/Light meets up with L. Critics said that the movie followed the manga pretty faithfully, with some extra characters added or something.

I await the DVD release so I can snag it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:11 pm

I'm not doubting you, but... really? There isn't that much before they meet, unless you mean in person. It doesn't seem to be a very good ending to a film, not even in the "to be continued" sense (though they could do it well). That also raises the question of how much they'll cover the second part of the manga.

Wouldn't it be odd if
[spoiler]they made L win? Now that would surprise everyone.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby That Dude » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:02 pm

So it's looking like it'll end when they meet in person?
That Dude

Postby Debitt » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:12 pm

My friend saw it in Japan and he said it ended when the 2nd Kira appeared, unless I misunderstood him. ^.^;\

I might have. >_> We were practicing Japanese on each other.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:33 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I'm not doubting you, but... really? There isn't that much before they meet, unless you mean in person. It doesn't seem to be a very good ending to a film, not even in the "to be continued" sense (though they could do it well). That also raises the question of how much they'll cover the second part of the manga.

Wouldn't it be odd if
[spoiler]they made L win? Now that would surprise everyone.[/spoiler]

Info from wikipedia
Wikipedia wrote:Death Note is also being adapted to the big screen, spanning two movies. The first one premiered in Japan on June 17, 2006 and topped the Japanese box office for two straight weeks. It is largely faithful to the manga (excepting the addition of the girlfriend, Shiori), starting with Light in university and flashing back a year or so to him receiving the Death Note. It ends with his first meeting with L. The second movie is scheduled to premiere in October 2006. A trailer is available at: [5]. An early review of the just released Japanese film can be found here.[6]
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby That Dude » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:20 pm

Does anybody know when it's coming to America yet?
That Dude

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment