does anyone know of a good movie...

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

does anyone know of a good movie...

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:19 am

can anyone recommend a good comedy. and might i ask that it's clean. i mean, i can handle some swearing and violence but other than that. try to keep it to a minimum. thank you.
jon_jinn

Postby Angel37 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:22 am

Princess Bride...it's HYSTERICAL! A TOTAL spoof on fantasy movies
Angel37

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:23 am

Angel37 wrote:Princess Bride...it's HYSTERICAL! A TOTAL spoof on fantasy movies

yes. might i also add that i'm not a fan of chick-flicks or romance movies. more of an action/comedy type person. thank you.
jon_jinn

Postby Animus Seed » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:29 am

If by clean you mean "without sexual references," Kung Fu Hustle is just awesome.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Angel37 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:30 am

jon_jinn wrote:yes. might i also add that i'm not a fan of chick-flicks or romance movies. more of an action/comedy type person. thank you.

It's SO not a chick flick. It SOUNDS like it is but it SO not. But DAD loved it!
Angel37

Postby oro! » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:48 am

Animus Seed wrote:If by clean you mean "without sexual references," Kung Fu Hustle is just awesome.

What? I remember i couldn't stand it b/c of that and the language.

I don't really watch comedies b/c of the other stuff...but I definetly second The Princess Bride.

If I think of anything else, I'll write it in this thread! :thumb:
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Puritan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:01 am

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is pretty funny and clean, from what I remember. So is "UHF" (which is an older comedy by Wierd Al that is strange but really funny).
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Zilch » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:35 am

The Princess Bride is a riot. Trust me, dude, I'm not that big of a chick flick guy, and I loved it, and I was just as skeptical as you (and just around your age, I might add).
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby creed4 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:48 am

Prince bride is incredible..
Mom and Dad save the world is extremely funny as well
Super Mario Brothers the movie is an action comedy.
If you can handle a little crude PG 13
try some Mel Brooks films like
Men in Tights, Spaceballs, Young Frankenstien
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:32 pm

I recommend Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Only a few curse words and no violence
And Three Amigos.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:37 pm

Hmm well i am not much of a comedy fan but i'll echo everyones suggestion of Princess Bride. I was gonna say Shaun of the Dead but its not for the younger viewers seeing as there is Graphic Violence and alota language. Kung-fo hustle is funny. But there is language not alot compared to most R-rated flicks
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Tancos » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:42 pm

Some older movies to consider:

Marx Brothers: Duck Soup, Monkey Business, Animal Crackers, A Night at the Opera

The Lavender Hill Mob
Kind Hearts and Coronets
The Ladykillers (the original version, with Alec Guinness)
The Wrong Box
Local Hero

... and others I'll think of later.
Tancos

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:46 pm

I'm gonna...14th The Princess Bride. XD Best comedy I've seen, honestly. XD And it's totally not a chick-flick. At all. XD I wish I could remember the line that the Grandfather says to his grandson about the book, and how it's got a little of everything in it...XD "Murdered by pirates is good!" :lol: Great, great movie. A comedy classic, to be sure. :thumb: However, I should add that the majority of the comedy is stuff you have to listen for...So watch it by yourself, so you aren't distracted by conversations. XD Oh, and Billy Crystal is in it. :D

Also, I'm going to reccommend The Pink Panther, with Steve Martin (the more recent one). FUNNY, funny movie! I loved every minute of it! An action-comedy I might as well reccommend is Rush Hour, though it's got some language in it, and a few sexual references (although those are only in the second one, and they're really not so bad).

Hope that helps!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:27 pm

well, it seems like the princess bride is a really, REALLY good and funny movie. i guess i might consider that. i've already seen kung fu hustle but most of the other movies i've never seen (or heard of).
jon_jinn

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:54 pm

Some more classic movies to consider:
To Be Or Not To Be
Mr.Smith Goes To Washington(with Jimmy Stewart)
Mr.Deeds Goes To Town(with Gary Cooper)
Support Your Local Sherrif(with James Garner)
mitsuki lover

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:56 pm

jon_jinn wrote:can anyone recommend a good comedy. and might i ask that it's clean. i mean, i can handle some swearing and violence but other than that. try to keep it to a minimum. thank you.

How about everyody's favorite movie about a one hit wonder band from the 50's-- That Thing You Do. It's rated PG, and the only thing I can think of that was objectionable was some language and one scene where a bar girl shows quite a bit of cleveage. Other than that, you've in good shape.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:05 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:How about everyody's favorite movie about a one hit wonder band from the 50's-- That Thing You Do. It's rated PG, and the only thing I can think of that was objectionable was some language and one scene where a bar girl shows quite a bit of cleveage. Other than that, you've in good shape.

THAT THING YOU DO. I LOVED that movie! So yeah, I second that one, too. XD

*now I have that song stuck in my head...XD*
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Authority3000 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:39 pm

Jackie Chan's First Strike - The single greatest action comedy ever created, in my opinion.
Authority3000

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:40 pm

Authority3000 wrote:Jackie Chan's First Strike - The single greatest action comedy ever created, in my opinion.

really? this is a comedy? i always thought most of jackie chan's older movies were just fighting. this could be a possibility since one of my friends has this movie.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Authority3000 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:06 pm

jon_jinn wrote:really? this is a comedy?...
Indeed it is, and a rather hilarious one at that.
Authority3000

Postby Maledicte » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:00 pm

Breaking Away, not really a comedy, just a feel-good movie with rather funny bits. ("I want American food! I want French fries!")

A Hard Day's Night and Help!, two Beatle's movies. The first one is better, but Help! is a good send-up of spy movies.

Johnny English, not that great, another spy spoof.

Also Spaceballs, The Princess Bride, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Maledicte

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:23 am

i've seen spaceballs before. i didn't think it was very funny and was rather disappointed when it ended. i had heard from my friends that it was a really funny movie. one of the best comedies i've seen is probably the goonies. i was misled however by the PG rating on the back of the movie box.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is always a funny one, but I think there's some suggestive dialouge and the like...Funny movie, though.

Radical Dreamer

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:24 am

BTW, you might also want to watch the Peter Sellers version of the Pink Panther series. Also, I highly recommend the National Lampoon Vacation Trilogy: National Lampoon's Vacation, National Lampoon's European Vacation,and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. And if you want a movie loaded with cameos, watch Blues Brothers. It's even got Ray Charles and the queen of soul herself, Aretha Franklin (if you don't know who those people are, I weep for you.)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:34 pm

Kung Fu Hustle!!! I didnt see it mentioned but if it was... oh well. There it is again.

Its rated R but IMO it is one of the most unfairly rated movies ever. It should have been PG-13 tops. The language is pretty good except I believe they drop the F-Bomb once (removie that and there is no way this movie could have gotten an R). But it has a great story, it's hilarious, and lots of action!

If you like Kung Fu Huslte, I'd also recommend Shoulin Soccer. Its directed by the same guy and only PG so...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:14 am

Scarecrow wrote:Kung Fu Hustle!!! I didnt see it mentioned but if it was... oh well. There it is again.

Its rated R but IMO it is one of the most unfairly rated movies ever. It should have been PG-13 tops. The language is pretty good except I believe they drop the F-Bomb once (removie that and there is no way this movie could have gotten an R). But it has a great story, it's hilarious, and lots of action!

If you like Kung Fu Huslte, I'd also recommend Shoulin Soccer. Its directed by the same guy and only PG so...

i've seen both and i think i saw kung fu hustle mentioned in this thread already but maybe i'm wrong. anyways, i watched the subtitled version of both movies and the subtitled version of kung fu hustle was probably cleaner than the english version in terms of language since they never said the f-bomb then.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby creed4 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:44 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Some more classic movies to consider:
To Be Or Not To Be
Mr.Smith Goes To Washington(with Jimmy Stewart)
Mr.Deeds Goes To Town(with Gary Cooper)
Support Your Local Sherrif(with James Garner)

Support Your Local Sherrif is very good so is Suport your local gunfighter
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:47 pm

I can't believe no one's suggested Groundhog Day!

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:39 pm

rocklobster wrote:I can't believe no one's suggested Groundhog Day!

ASDF! XD I can't believe I didn't suggest that movie! Groundhog Day is a GREAT movie, and is VERY funny. Also, while we're on the topic of Bill Murray, What About Bob is a hysterically funny movie that I highly reccommend! I can't believe I didn't think of that one earlier, either! :lol:

Radical Dreamer

Postby Maledicte » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:59 pm

Tootsie. I implore you to watch Tootsie.

Much better than Mrs. Doubtfire, which is also good however but has cussing and such.
Maledicte

Next

Return to General Entertainment