Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:35 pm

My most favorite scene of all was the 'Wheel Battle'. XD
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Ashley » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

I actually thought the movie could have done better without that scene. Not only did I find it a little too "slapstick" for my taste, but it really prolonged the beginning of the movie; time that could have been spent delving further into the plotline (or simply making the movie a tad shorter). I actually found the first movie quite funny, while this one was a darker, more plot-heavy (but equally good) film. But oh well, to each his own.

Really? That was one of the more redeeming scenes in the movie in my opinion...I don't know, I guess I was really just longing for more of the quick-wit and easy humor of the first.
Ashley

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:18 pm

n_n I'm going to see it again at 9! I'll try to keep my eyes peeled for anything else I may have missed from my first watch-through. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:29 pm

Ok, so I saw it again last night. I didn't notice anything different about the movie in particular, but I did realize something...

[SPOILER=Bootstrap Bill]Ok...Bootstrap had been a part of the first movie's curse. That's how he sent the coin to Will. So, when Barbossa and his crew threw Bootstrap overboard with the cannon strapped to his foot, he wouldn't have died, right? Since he was undead and all...But then, Will and Jack broke the curse, which would have brought Bootstrap back to life. If he was still underwater, though, he would have drowned. Does this mean he didn't join Davy Jones' crew until after the first movie? The one eyed pirate from Barbossa's crew mentioned that Bootstrap was "twice-cursed." So he definitely was a part of the curse of the Isle de Muerta. Unless I missed something, one could only technically join Davy Jones' crew after dying...right? Confusion~![/SPOILER]

Hopefully, they'll explain that in the third movie...XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Icarus » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:57 pm

[spoiler]You're offered membership when dead or dying. By that, could he have joined Davy when he only thought he was dying?[/spoiler]
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:14 am

Just saw it today. Woo! Had a great time. (and, like Puritan, I too was holding back "Kraken" cracks. :P)

About a certain "incident"...
[SPOILER] I don't think that Elizabeth was truly falling for Jack. After all, if she was she wouldn't have chained him there in the first place. You'll notice that when one of the crewmates mentions him dying as a hero, she looks uncomfortable--because she knows that technically, she murdered him. He would have gone with them if it weren't for her. She wants to get him back, not because she loves him the way she does Will, but to in effect make up for what she did to him.[/SPOILER]

Bill Nighy, now joining the roster of my favorite actors, was awesome in this film. I had a fun time watching his beard move XD...my friend and I were like "The Phantom of the Opera!!" during that one scene.

Personally I liked the action scenes better in this film--more deliciously outrageously complicated. The three-way swordfight was quite fun. The rolling ball-cage reminded me of a Jackie Chan movie, however.

The sound effects were out of this world--did anyone hear the light thup-thup-thup of the suckers as the tentacles scraped past things? *shudder* Great stuff.

Too many dark+wet scenes however, meaning Davy Jones' ship. Ick.

Favorite scene: the cage-swinging. Yay for springtime happy carnival ferris wheel music in the face of certain painful doom.
Favorite line: "I got a jar of dir-rt! I got a jar full of dir-rt!"
Favorite character:[SPOILER] Norrington! Yay! Sans ice cream wig! I liked him since the first film, I hope he becomes more of a good guy come the final film. His voice sounds like Neil Gaiman.[/SPOILER]
Maledicte

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:28 pm

Most people here probably already knew this (it's a fairly old news article), but for those who didn't, check it out:

'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest,' hauled in a whole lot of doubloons this weekend, sailing straight past 'Spider-Man' to the biggest three-day opening in movie history. The film earned $135.6 million, easily besting the $114.8 million record previously held by Spidey's sticky fingers. In addition, 'Dead Man's Chest' earned $55.5 million on Friday alone -- crushing the $46.6 million its predecessor 'Curse of the Black Pearl' made in its entire opening weekend in 2003 AND surpassing the old single-day record of $50 million that until now belonged to 'Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith.'

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Ashley » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:10 pm

Now let's all hope it finally knocks Titanic out of "best box office figures EVER."
Ashley

Postby Seppuku » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:47 pm

mweee ^ - ^ i loved it

[url=myspace.com/seppukuasylum]myspace.com/seppukuasylum[/url]

"Theres no such thing as trolls!"
Then how do you explain the dead unicorns?
Seppuku

Postby suribachi » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:51 am

Though it was pretty good--a good summer, entertaining flick. I liked the Kraken scenes-- reminded me of the beast in Deep Rising (a very cool movie).
I liked it and will probably see it again -- although I did think in some places they were trying a little too hard to be gross.
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father."
John 14:12
suribachi

Postby Kkun » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:06 am

To me, while it wasn't the best movie ever made, Pirates 2 exemplifies everything a good movie should be, and I wish more filmmakers would follow suit. It was entertaining, action-packed, creepy, and there wasn't a single political agenda being pushed, as tends to happen nowadays. It was good. I dug it. My favorite scene HAD to be the waterwheel fight, though. The stuff with the Kraken was pretty rad, too. All in all, I enjoyed it. I want to see it again this week.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Stephen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:26 am

Loved it. Felt it was better then the first movie. [SPOILER]My fav part of the whole movie was Liz kissing Jack. At first I was like, oh this is lame. Then when you realise she dupped him...and he kinda just blankly looks at her and calls her a pirate....that was a really good scene.[/SPOILER]
Stephen

Postby Kkun » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:38 am

Ark wrote:Loved it. Felt it was better then the first movie. [SPOILER]My fav part of the whole movie was Liz kissing Jack. At first I was like, oh this is lame. Then when you realise she dupped him...and he kinda just blankly looks at her and calls her a pirate....that was a really good scene.[/SPOILER]

Ohhh yeah. That was just fantabulous. I did love this movie. I can't wait to see it again.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Alice » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:40 pm

>.> I want to see it.

On a related note (going only by the first movie), I didn't like Depp's character as much as everyone else in the world seemed to. Will was better. >:0
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:12 pm

Alice wrote:>.> I want to see it.

On a related note (going only by the first movie), I didn't like Depp's character as much as everyone else in the world seemed to. Will was better. >:0

I...half-agree with you. XD While I do like Will's character, I also LOVE the character of Jack Sparrow. The way Depp chose to portray the character is just downright entertaining. XD He's funny, his accent is fun to listen to, his lines are fun to quote, and he's just fun to watch. :lol: All of the characters in the Pirates movies are great (I, for one, think that Geoffrey Rush should have gotten a little more recognition for his part as Barbossa; he did a great job), but I think we all have to admit--The Pirates movies just woulnd't be the same without Captain Jack. :thumb:

Radical Dreamer

Postby Agent Anderson » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:36 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Ok, so I saw it again last night. I didn't notice anything different about the movie in particular, but I did realize something...

[SPOILER=Bootstrap Bill]Ok...Bootstrap had been a part of the first movie's curse. That's how he sent the coin to Will. So, when Barbossa and his crew threw Bootstrap overboard with the cannon strapped to his foot, he wouldn't have died, right? Since he was undead and all...But then, Will and Jack broke the curse, which would have brought Bootstrap back to life. If he was still underwater, though, he would have drowned. Does this mean he didn't join Davy Jones' crew until after the first movie? The one eyed pirate from Barbossa's crew mentioned that Bootstrap was "twice-cursed." So he definitely was a part of the curse of the Isle de Muerta. Unless I missed something, one could only technically join Davy Jones' crew after dying...right? Confusion~![/SPOILER]

Hopefully, they'll explain that in the third movie...XD

[SPOILER=Bootstrap Bill]Davy probably made the deal with Bill back while he was still undead, as a means of escape from a living hell. But now, the fishy zombieness is still in effect despite the skeleton zombie curse being lifted.[/SPOILER]
Agent Anderson

Postby the_lizardqueen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:39 pm

So Davy Jones pretty much completely ruled, and I quite liked Commodore Norrington's new look, even if his morals are now somewhat questionable *swoons*
[spoiler]BARBOSSA! EEEEEEEEEE!!!!! *giddy*[/spoiler]
My constructive reviewing capacities are a little lacking at the moment :grin:
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Icarus » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:43 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:My constructive reviewing capacities are a little lacking at the moment :grin:

That should never stop a fan(girl|boy) from making a post.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby tofusprinkles » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:07 pm

Kkun wrote:To me, while it wasn't the best movie ever made, Pirates 2 exemplifies everything a good movie should be, and I wish more filmmakers would follow suit. It was entertaining, action-packed, creepy, and there wasn't a single political agenda being pushed, as tends to happen nowadays. It was good. I dug it. My favorite scene HAD to be the waterwheel fight, though. The stuff with the Kraken was pretty rad, too. All in all, I enjoyed it. I want to see it again this week.

So do I! I was really into it when I first saw it last week. Johnny Depp was just hilarious! Did you get to hear the soundtrack that went with this movie? I didn't get to hear the whole thing, but Zimmer's compositions were just great to listen to. he worked so hard to get these going for the movie, and it's impressive to me.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest by Hans Zimmer : http://www.napster.com/player/album/12182840
I like stories. And santa. Blank stare.
tofusprinkles

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:07 am

tofusprinkles wrote:Did you get to hear the soundtrack that went with this movie? I didn't get to hear the whole thing, but Zimmer's compositions were just great to listen to. he worked so hard to get these going for the movie, and it's impressive to me.

Oo, I know! I loved the music during the barroom brawl that ends with Norrington in the pig pen. I came straight home and placed a hold on the DMC soundtrack at the library *is broke at the moment* ^^;

In other news, I am tackling Davy Jones fanart. SO. MANY. TENTACLES O_O

*keels over. is never drawing tentacled things again*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Maledicte » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:31 am

the_lizardqueen wrote:In other news, I am tackling Davy Jones fanart. SO. MANY. TENTACLES O_O

*keels over. is never drawing tentacled things again*

Oh, I know how it is, girl. :lol:

...Now I wanna draw Davy. O_O
Maledicte

Postby dyzzispell » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:38 pm

It's funny, I don't remember much of the music from the first movie, other than the main theme (and I am SURE Kingdom Hearts II is responsible for this!). Anyway, I started to recognize the style towards the end when: [SPOILER]Jack charged at the Kraken, seemingly to his death, but I'm sure he's not really dead.[/SPOILER]
It reminded me of parts of The Rock.

Besides that, I wasn't thrilled with the first 45 minutes or so of the movie, as much of it was just too ridiculous to be believed, and it seemed like they were trying TOO hard to make it funny. But once the main plot got going, it was really good. I generally don't like Depp, but I LOVE him in the role of Jack! :jump:
I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. There was so much of the movie I didn't catch because some of the lines were hard to understand (we didn't see it in a state-of-the-art theater with awesome sound so it was hard to hear through accents and such). :shake:
I have one burning question, that I'm sure everyone else is thinking too: [SPOILER]How in the world did Barbossa come back??[/SPOILER]
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:46 pm

dyzzispell wrote:Besides that, I wasn't thrilled with the first 45 minutes or so of the movie, as much of it was just too ridiculous to be believed, and it seemed like they were trying TOO hard to make it funny. But once the main plot got going, it was really good.

That's exactly how I felt. The whole scene on the cannibal island was so slapstick and silly]
I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. There was so much of the movie I didn't catch because some of the lines were hard to understand (we didn't see it in a state-of-the-art theater with awesome sound so it was hard to hear through accents and such). :shake: [/QUOTE]

Yeah, the second time I saw the movie, it was in an older, more run-down theater, and the accents were pretty hard to understand. The first time, though, I saw it in a much nicer theater, and I didn't find it hard to follow at all.

Radical Dreamer

Postby Chii » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:54 pm

I saw the movie and I wasn't REALLY impressed. I think some of the graphics were a little surreal and the accent on that lady, was a little hard to understand...O.K REALLY hard to understand!
But...it was Pirates of the Carribbean...and Johnny (awesome actor) was in it, there were some really interesting parts....I'm sure there's going to be a sequel!

3 out of 5
Whatever the sentiment, Whatever the expression
The most beautiful thing in the world is love
Chii

Postby bbboy21 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:19 pm

dyzzispell wrote:[SPOILER]How in the world did Barbossa come back??[/SPOILER]
[spoiler](Hint: Who else was faithful enough to give him some Aztec Gold"?[/spoiler]Actually, I thought it was funnier and better then the first...I didn't care what kind of comedy it was, it was just there...as for those who didn't quite enjoyed the film, the thrid movie was also filmed at the same time...
:hug: You gotta love it ^.^
bbboy21

Postby Miso_Chan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:52 pm

I thought the movie was horrible, especially when they brought barbosa back from the dead. The only reason I went was to see Orlando Bloom. I have a bunch of LOTR posters hanging in my room of him. (he's SSSSOOOOOOOOOO cute!) he's sorta selling himself out though, i think. He's just trying to get in all these movies that turnout to be bad. (like pirates and Elizabeth town.)
私は必死に日本への高等学校の外に移動することを希望し、日本の学生です。とにかく私の場合はより詳細な研究では、メインの仕方を知っているお問い合わせください!

私のお気に入りのアニメをしているカノンは、涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱ハチミツとクローバー、カウボーイビバップ.
Miso_Chan

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:35 pm

Miso_Chan wrote:I thought the movie was horrible, especially when they [SPOILER]brought barbosa back from the dead.[/SPOILER] The only reason I went was to see Orlando Bloom. I have a bunch of LOTR posters hanging in my room of him. (he's SSSSOOOOOOOOOO cute!) he's sorta selling himself out though, i think. He's just trying to get in all these movies that turnout to be bad. (like pirates and Elizabeth town.)

Wow, that's interesting. I thought that both Pirates (1 and 2) and Elizabethtown were great movies. Sure, the second Pirates was a little lacking in some areas, but it was still good. And Orlando Bloom isn't selling himself out by being in a chick flick like Elizabethtown (which I rather enjoyed), he's trying not to get stuck in the same type of part over and over again. Any good actor will be found playing more than one type of part; he can't just play an elf in the rest of the movies he makes. He's doing what an actor should do, and I think that's totally fine. But whatever, whether or not you liked the movie is your opinion. *shrugs*

Radical Dreamer

Postby Stephen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:49 pm

I am not a Bloom fan by any means...but his acting in Pirates is heads and shoulders over his stale pretzel acting in LOTR. (And I happend to love the LOTR movies as well)
Stephen

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:20 am

Ark wrote:I am not a Bloom fan by any means...but his acting in Pirates is heads and shoulders over his stale pretzel acting in LOTR. (And I happend to love the LOTR movies as well)

Hahaha, even I agree there, and I liked him when I saw him in LOTR ('course, I was in 7th grade when it first came out. I was allowed to have a meaningless crush like that. XD). When I watch those movies now, though, I realize that all he does is look aware, say a few things in English, a few things in Elvish, and then look kinda cool while shooting an arrow. Those remain three of my favorite movies though, in spite of all that. :lol:

Radical Dreamer

Postby Heart of Sword » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:15 am

I loved this movie! But, it was a bit... too creepy for my tastes. Especially the part involving the prisoners and the axes. *shivers* I didn't like it as much as the first; but yes, it was good. Although...the end...!!! ARGH!!! If they don't make the third movie soon, I'm going to...erm... do something that's probably illegal. XD

But, I'm happy about...

[spoiler] Barbosa. Because if the kraken killed Captain Jack, he'll come back to...erm...life? XD[/spoiler]

I love the kraken. It's kinda cute, in a weird way...

Davy probably made the deal with Bill back while he was still undead, as a means of escape from a living hell. But now, the fishy zombieness is still in effect despite the skeleton zombie curse being lifted.

He seemed like he was still dead to me... :lol:

Hehe, I thought he was kinda cute... <__< >__> I have a..."thing" for zombies. I even think Frankenstein's monster is cute, though, so...just ignore me...yeah...
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Previous

Return to General Entertainment