Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:08 am

I third ashley's comments on [spoiler]the Jack x Elizabeth thing. Not only did it not settle well (I hate it when people forget the ones they "love" the moment that they are gone) it just didn't seem right. Not only was Will out risking his life and soul for her freedom from a jail cell, but in the last movie her character was true to Will. At the end of the first movie, there was no question where her heart lies. Now I am to believe that not only is she falling for Jack, but that when she holds the compass it never points towards Will? [/spoiler]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Ashley » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:55 am

I'm with you, Iki. I was left screaming not "poor Jack!" but "Poor Will! Come, let me hug you." :lol:
Ashley

Postby Tarnish » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:11 pm

[SPOILER]The only thing I found wrong with the JackxElizabeth pairing was the enormous age gap. XD;;[/SPOILER]
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:24 pm

[spoiler]I really don't think Elizabeth "abandoned" Will for Jack. The entire movie she resisted Jack's come-ons and when she did kiss him, it was only a means to an end. She was willing to do whatever necessary to save Will and the crew, but that doesn't mean she wasn't devastated about it. Her face in the last scene speaks volumes. The only complication in the Elizabeth/Will relationship is how Will reacts after seeing them kiss (and probably assuming the worst). Personally I don't like how people are all like "Oh noes! Elizabeth is abandoning Will!!" Um... no. All her actions in the movie, even those involving Jack, were actions taken to get to Will or save Will. On top of all that you don't chain men you love to a sinking ship. Like I said, means to an end. She forced him to do the right thing instead of sacrificing innocent lives along with his own.

Not that doing everything possible to achieve an end is an admirable thing, but it's alot like what Jack said in the first movie, showing that Elizabeth is becoming more and more like a pirate (hence why Jack calls her a pirate).

Was I the only one who thought Jack looked proud of Elizabeth when she chained him to the mast?[/spoiler]

Admin Edit: Spoilerized your post, Kneko. --Ash

edit: gah *handface* Forgot the tags! Thanks Ash.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Icarus » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:27 pm

No, you're not. Not only was he proud, but I think he took some satisfaction in being proved right about her.

[spoiler]On the whole Jack/Elizabeth thing, I'm not terribly upset. While I'm rooting for Will, I think that something like this is neccessary. She has to sort out her feelings, and perforce a part of them will involve Jack. I mean, for most of her life, she has dreamed of pirates, and all of a sudden, here is one of the most famous of them all coming to her aid. And he flirts with her. Against this is set Will Turner, a nice enough boy, who, though he has engaged in piracy, is honest to the core.

Yes, I think she loves Will, but I don't think she is dim enough to be unmindful of the tension between herself and Jack. In the end, it comes down to this. As Barret said, "Loyalty is no longer the currency of the realm." Gov. Swan and Will still live as though it is, Jack long past learned otherwise, and Elizabeth is learning. [/spoiler]
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:28 pm

I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I did the first one. Of course there could have been a lot of reasons. I was REALLY tired and we went to a very late showing..and I ended up falling asleep during it twice...

I found some parts to be funny..but the rest of it was just...ugh...

[spoiler] FISH MEN!? WHAT?! It made me want to laugh more than enjoy it...[/spoiler]

I mean when I watch a "PIRATE" movie...I don't look for Sci-fi or anything like that..I look for PIRATES! The firest one made sense because it was a curse...but the bad guys were just WAY to far fetched..there were way to many plotholes..and an 168 minute movie with that many plotholes is inexcusable.

I didn't like how the movie jumped around so much...it really annoyed me...and it seemed to drag...by the first hour into the movie I was poking my sister and asking what time it was...

It wasn't horrible...just...not as good as the first..
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:48 pm

Not plotholes... unfilled holes. The 2nd and 3rd movies are basically the same story stretched over two movies, so obviously not everything will be explained in one movie (annoying as that is ==; I don't want to wait a year!!)

I basically agree with everything you say Icarus. Well said, although your explanation brings to question why Elizabeth was not quite so attracted to Jack in the first movie (might have something to do with the fact she didn't trust him til the end, I suppose...).
Kawaiikneko

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:21 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:[spoiler]I really don't think Elizabeth "abandoned" Will for Jack. The entire movie she resisted Jack's come-ons and when she did kiss him, it was only a means to an end. She was willing to do whatever necessary to save Will and the crew, but that doesn't mean she wasn't devastated about it. Her face in the last scene speaks volumes. The only complication in the Elizabeth/Will relationship is how Will reacts after seeing them kiss (and probably assuming the worst). Personally I don't like how people are all like "Oh noes! Elizabeth is abandoning Will!!" Um... no. All her actions in the movie, even those involving Jack, were actions taken to get to Will or save Will. On top of all that you don't chain men you love to a sinking ship. Like I said, means to an end. She forced him to do the right thing instead of sacrificing innocent lives along with his own.

Not that doing everything possible to achieve an end is an admirable thing, but it's alot like what Jack said in the first movie, showing that Elizabeth is becoming more and more like a pirate (hence why Jack calls her a pirate).

Was I the only one who thought Jack looked proud of Elizabeth when she chained him to the mast?[/spoiler]

Quoted for truth.

That said, I just got back from seeing it! And I LOVED it! I can't WAIT for the next one to come out!

[SPOILER]Where to start! Actually, I thought it started a little on the slow side...I didn't really think the scene on the cannibal island was all that necessary (especially with all the slapstick gags), other than the fact that Jack, Will, and the crew were able to reunite with the two members of Barbossa's crew. Once they got past that whole scene, though, it got quite good, and I loved it! I loved how they tied Bootstrap in to the whole story, as it got a lot of interesting father/son scenes with Will.

Also, while I thought Davy Jones was a very good villian, I don't think he quite measured up to Geoffery Rush's Capt. Barbossa. Which is why I was SO excited when the end of the movie rolled around! Kya! Once that (Jamaican?) woman said they would need a captain who "knew those waters," I knew it was going to be Barbossa. Eating the apple. Kya! *spent a long time figuring out the apple's symbolism from the first movie. :D* And really, I should have known from the earlier scenes, since the monkey ran straight back to the room that had the man's boots sticking out of the door. :forehead: Silly me. :lol: Anyways!

I loved the scene where Jack got eaten by the Krakken...how he got his hat back and everything...So cool! He's definitely coming back, though. >_> I also liked seeing Norrington again. XD I thought it was interesting, how he ended up as a crewmember on Jack Sparrow's ship (though a somewhat unwilling crewmember...XD). I also liked seeing Barbossa's two old crewmembers. I didn't see Ana Maria, though, which was a tad dissapointing. I kind of expected to see her. Oh, well.

I think I would definitely rate this movie "as good as" the first. I wouldn't say better than, because of the earlier scene I mentioned, and the lack of Barbossa (until the end...#3 will be spectacular!). But I really, really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see the third one! :jump:[/SPOILER]

:thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Icarus » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:08 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:I basically agree with everything you say Icarus. Well said, although your explanation brings to question why Elizabeth was not quite so attracted to Jack in the first movie (might have something to do with the fact she didn't trust him til the end, I suppose...).

And how much did she actually interact with him in the first? There was the island, the shiip with Norrington, and not much else.

Edit: If you like, I can make a ship that sails through them. (LOTR refference)
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:42 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:My friends said they were really confused by the movie, but I thought it made plenty of sense (discluding the things that will be explained in the third movie). Did anyone else have this problem?

No, not at all. I was actually able to follow it surprisingly well (in some movies, I'll be totally oblivious to a plot point until someone mentions it or something. XD). The only thing I found confusing was

[SPOILER]the scene where Will and the crew of the Pearl are fighting the Krakken. I was wondering what Will wanted Elizabeth to shoot at (the gunpowder and rum barrels), but I understood soon after the barrels had been lifted from the ship. "Ooh, so that's why she said, 'As soon as you're clear'!" XD Of course, that scene was also full of the confusion of battle, so my initial misunderstanding was totally legit. XD[/SPOILER]

And hey, did anyone else notice how [SPOILER]the priestess-woman-thing had a music box/locket that matched Davy Jones's? She must have been the woman who made him remove his heart! :O [/SPOILER]

At least, that's my theory...;)
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ashley » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:18 pm

RadicalDreamer wrote:And hey, did anyone else notice how
[spoiler]the priestess-woman-thing had a music box/locket that matched Davy Jones's? She must have been the woman who made him remove his heart! :O [/spoiler]
At least, that's my theory...

Actually, I did and that made my eyes pop out a little. I thought the same thing.
Ashley

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:48 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:[spoiler]the priestess-woman-thing had a music box/locket that matched Davy Jones's? She must have been the woman who made him remove his heart! :O[/spoiler]

Huh... I didn't notice that. To be honest, I stopped looking for anything beyond the surface of the movie after the first 15 minutes or so.... I guess I shouldn't have given up on it so easily! xD

That is pretty interesting, though.

[spoiler] If this were true, she would need her own motives for why she would want his heart found. Does she want him dead? Or does she want to try to return his heart to him? Or maybe she wants to control him. Who knows? [/spoiler]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Pent » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:07 am

I liked the movie. I like how 3 will continue the story, I'm sure people who didn't like this one will like 3 and then claim they liked this one all along when they look back. lol.
Pent

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:33 am

Pent wrote:I liked the movie. I like how 3 will continue the story, I'm sure people who didn't like this one will like 3 and then claim they liked this one all along when they look back. lol.

that will probably be me...^^;
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:43 pm

Then there are us who will never care about any of the movies like me.
mitsuki lover

Postby Rachel » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:36 pm

I would go back and actually quote some people, but I'm feeling reallyyy lazy right now so I'll just say this: I pretty much agree with Icky (for once haha!) on the whole subject of Elizabeth's attraction to Jack. After the first movie I was like "Man, if something doesn't happen with them that would suck."

And I also noticed the same thing as Ashley and RadicalDreamer. Maybe that's why she knows you have to go to the ends of the earth?
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Peanut » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:20 pm

Well...I saw it last night...and I mus say...I was actually sort of surpriesed...my one real complaint about the movie was the ending...not only was did it leave you hanging but [spoiler]did they have to bring Barbossa back? I mean really...he was dead...that was established at the end of the first movie when he was all like "Oh I'm alive again...but you shot me...and I can feel it...so I'll die now if that's fine with you guys..." I mean couldn't they have chosen another character to be there captain besides Barbossa? In fact...I know of another character they could of chosen...but she was missing from this movie entirely...[/spoiler] besides that I enjoyed the movie thoroughly...and I can't wait for the the sequel...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:46 pm

Peanut wrote:[spoiler]did they have to bring Barbossa back? I mean really...he was dead...that was established at the end of the first movie when he was all like "Oh I'm alive again...but you shot me...and I can feel it...so I'll die now if that's fine with you guys..." I mean couldn't they have chosen another character to be there captain besides Barbossa? In fact...I know of another character they could of chosen...but she was missing from this movie entirely...[/spoiler]

[SPOILER]Oh, I loved the fact that they brought Barbossa back! Not only because Geoffery Rush is a great actor (I thought this movie, though wonderful, was lacking his piratey-charm), but because it opens up a whole new plot twist and a thousand other things that could and will probably happen. XD I also ADORED the fact that he took a big bite out of the green apple when he showed up again...I had spent the longest time figuring out the symbolism of the apple in the first movie (it symbolized life...Jack was able to eat it, because he was alive, but Barbossa never could, even to the end, when it rolled out of his hand after he was shot). XD I also think it was appropriate to bring him back, since they're going to retrieve Jack from "beyond the sea." Barbossa has been there and back again, so he would obviously be the character for the job.

As for the character you think they should have chosen...Are you talking about Ana Maria? Because I noticed her absence as well. Early on in the movie, I saw someone on Jack's ship who had a hat like she did in COTBP (the one that covered her face), but seeing as how the other crewmembers were made into a cage on that cannibal island...my guess is, the producers couldn't get Zoe Saldona (I think that was her last name...) to sign on to play the part, so they had to find a way to kill her off. It's a pity, really, she was a cool character.

But if that wasn't the character you were talking about, then I just wrote that whole ramble for no real reason. XD Oh well. :lol:[/SPOILER]

Radical Dreamer

Postby Ashley » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:55 pm

I will say that a certain someone's apperance at the end of the movie suprised me quite a bit, because I thought that actor died.
Ashley

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:18 pm

The whole movie reminded me of the Arlong arc from One Piece. Maybe they got inspiration from it? o_O

[SPOILER]Unfortunately, I fear the Jack SparrowxElizabeth fanshipping community is about to REALLY take off. :P[/SPOILER]
Azier the Swordsman

Postby The Last Bard » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:32 pm

I just watched it tonight...It was awesome! I actually like it as much as the first. Probably more! Great movie, and I can't wait for part 3!
The Last Bard

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:04 pm

Puritan wrote:Although, having played Monkey Island I was really amused when

[spoiler]The Voodoo Lady appeared! Alright, she had lost some weight and had a new name, but she was practically identical to the one in the game: wierd house, interesting decor and clothing style, heavy accent, strange and mystical form of speaking. Just no Guybrush Threepwood[/spoiler]

LOL! I thought that too!! Actually, I thought that from the trailer but anyway. I've always thought the creators of Pirates had Monkey Island at the back of their brain even when I saw the first one. This one even moreso.

About

[spoiler]Barbossas return: I'm thinking the worlds end is similar to the Underworld in Greek mythology... which is "supposedly" located across the sea as far as you can go (at worlds end.. haha). Jack is dead and thats where he ended up. Barbossa was dead and somehow mangaged to make it back which is why he is the only one who can captain the ship (and I'm guessing it will be explained how Barbossa came back in the next movie). So anyway, yeah...[/spoiler]
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby blue elf » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:19 am

[spoiler]Barbossas return: I'm thinking the worlds end is similar to the Underworld in Greek mythology... which is "supposedly" located across the sea as far as you can go (at worlds end.. haha). Jack is dead and thats where he ended up. Barbossa was dead and somehow mangaged to make it back which is why he is the only one who can captain the ship (and I'm guessing it will be explained how Barbossa came back in the next movie). So anyway, yeah...[/spoiler]

I saw the movie on Saturday and I loved it!! I think I enjoyed it at least as much as the first one, and I may have actually enjoyed some parts more than the first one. I'll probably end up going to see it again.

[spoiler]About the whole Jack x Elizabeth thing, I thought it was an interesting plot twist. I felt bad for Will though. The friend I went to see it with said she preferred J x E, but I'm actually conflicted, because J x E could be very interesting(not to mention funny), but Will really deserves someone and W x E has already been established.[/spoiler]

[spoiler] As for Barbossa, I thought that the voodoo chick had brought him back, but who knows. I was actually pleaseantly surprised that they brought him back. As for that woman having a matching locket to Davey Jones, I didn't even notice that. I figured that the locket Jones had was significant, but I never noticed the matching one! Oh well, it's something I can look for during my second movie viewing.[/spoiler]
blue elf

Postby Peanut » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:07 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:[SPOILER]
As for the character you think they should have chosen...Are you talking about Ana Maria? Because I noticed her absence as well. Early on in the movie, I saw someone on Jack's ship who had a hat like she did in COTBP (the one that covered her face), but seeing as how the other crewmembers were made into a cage on that cannibal island...my guess is, the producers couldn't get Zoe Saldona (I think that was her last name...) to sign on to play the part, so they had to find a way to kill her off. It's a pity, really, she was a cool character.

[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER] Yep...she was the one that I was thinking of...I don't think they killed her off though mainly because they never even mentioned her...I think they just went on the assumption that she left the ship and got her own or something like that...who knows...maybe she was in a scene they deleted...I guess we won't be able to find out untill DMC comes out on DVD...[/SPOILER]
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby DaughterOfZion » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:11 pm

i saw it saturday night. i highly prefer this one. its funnier.although i hate hollywood. evil cliffhanger!!!!!!!!!!
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby blue elf » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:26 pm

DaughterOfZion wrote:i saw it saturday night. i highly prefer this one. its funnier.although i hate hollywood. evil cliffhanger!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was funnier as well, mainly
[spoiler]the whole thing where Jack was trying to get away from the cannibals and they were throwing fruit at him. My friend said he looked like a shishkebab. I also thought the scene where Norrington, Jack, and Will were all fighting each other, while Elizabeth was yelling at them was funny. Actually, that whole extended fight was funny. ^^[/spoiler]
blue elf

Postby DaughterOfZion » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:36 pm

XD i love thoughs parts.
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:48 pm

Great movie saw it last night it was very funny. Yet very confusing

[spoiler] How is the monkey still alive.......Undead or whatever[/spoiler]
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:50 pm

GrubbTheFragger wrote:[spoiler] How is the monkey still alive.......Undead or whatever[/spoiler]

[SPOILER]The monkey's fate was revealed through an "after the credits" scene from the first movie. The monkey swims over to the chest of gold coins, pulls one out, and then turns and screams at the screen as a "skeleton (since he reactivated the curse on himself)." Much better than this movie's post-credits scene, I thought. *still can't beleive she wasted 10 minutes of watching credits to see that worthless scene. XD*[/SPOILER]

blue elf wrote:I thought it was funnier as well, mainly

[SPOILER]
the whole thing where Jack was trying to get away from the cannibals and they were throwing fruit at him. My friend said he looked like a shishkebab.[/SPOILER]

I actually thought the movie could have done better without that scene. Not only did I find it a little too "slapstick" for my taste, but it really prolonged the beginning of the movie; time that could have been spent delving further into the plotline (or simply making the movie a tad shorter). I actually found the first movie quite funny, while this one was a darker, more plot-heavy (but equally good) film. But oh well, to each his own. :thumb:

Radical Dreamer

Postby Zilch » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:18 pm

I saw it tonight. I thought it was just about as good as the first one, other than the ending. The monkey was a nice touch. If I had a monkey I could shoot whenever I wanted...that'd be sweeeeeet...
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment