Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:31 pm

So! Who's excited about seeing this one tomorrow (or whenever you get the chance)? I'm hoping it'll be as good as the first one (if not better), but you never know with sequels...Anyways! Discuss! :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tarnish » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:36 pm

Nuh uh. It's not a sequel...it's a trilogy, now. :P *flawed logic*

Anyway, I'll be seeing this late tonight (or is it early tomorrow morning?...). ^^
I'm *really* looking forward to this.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:54 pm

Oh, cool! I wish they were doing a midnight show in my town (actually, they may be...I just never check in with the theater often enough..XD; ). Anyways, have fun! And you're right, it is a trilogy now...awesome! Anyways, I'm hoping to go see it tomorrow with some friends. I'm excited! :D
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Bunny » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:04 pm

I previewed the movie last night. It was most excellent. :)

In my opinion, Dead Man's Chest has a totally different feel to it than the first movie. It's still clever and quirky but the plot is growing a little more dark and serious.

You'll see the same faces again along with a few new ones. Some of you may be disappointed with one of the main characters.

A notable thing about DMC is the references to Christianity that'll make you laugh and warm your heart.

The ending is a cliffhanger that'll be sure to have diehard fans clawing at the screen for more. ;)
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

2 Samuel 6: 21&22

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:11 pm

you saw it yesterday?! no fair. i'm going to watch the first showing of it (in my area) tonight at midnight! i can't believe my mom actually said i could go!

check out this review: http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0002776.cfm
jon_jinn

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:15 pm

Yea I'm going tonight at midnight as well. I've been anxiously awaiting this for months so I hope its good. I'm not to afraid of being disappointed cause I don't see how this could. The reviews sound solid and the trailers were awesome so yea...

Sucks about the cliffhanger... I hate it when they do that. Cant wait a whole year to find out what happens. Its not like LOTR where you could just check out the books to see what happened next.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Tarnish » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:40 am

Well, I saw it. And it was SPECTACULAR. Honestly, I enjoyed it a lot more than I did Superman Returns...and I loved Superman Returns.
If I were going to complain about *anything*, it would be that Davey Jones looked even moreso like LeChuck than Barbossa, if that's possible. XD Not to mention the cliffhanger, but I got used to cliffhangers with LOTR. -__-;;

I can definitely see how people could hate it, but I think my ten bucks was well spent. :D
i draw things

Tarnish

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:45 am

Kyaaa, I need to see it soooooon. XD I don't have any money though, and that's a problem. XD Maybe my brother can get me in for free (he used to work at the theater)? I sure hope so! XD;

Radical Dreamer

Postby Angel37 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:03 am

I'm seeing it today!!!! YAY FOR OPENING DAY!!!
Angel37

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:16 am

well, i saw it yesterday night (or this morning) and i didn't enjoy too much. some of the characters disappointed me and it kept going on, and on, and on. there were practically two or three endings and the way they ended the movie sets it up for a definite Pirates three. though, some of the actions sequences were pretty amusing, the overall story and the way it came out wasn't all that great. at least, i my opinion.
jon_jinn

Postby Tarnish » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:45 am

Hmm...I never felt that it dragged. Every scene served a purpose, at least. It sets up for a "Pirates 3" because if they had finished the whole thing in just this movie, it would have gone on for a good 5 hours and still felt rushed. XD
But, eh, to each their own.
i draw things

Tarnish

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:58 am

seeing it at 3 today... we're even dressing up

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby mastersquirrel » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:13 pm

Seeing it in 45 minutes.
[SIZE="1"]"If there's one thing that I know, it's that I know more than one thing." - Master Squirrel[/SIZE]
mastersquirrel

Postby Sakura15 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:32 pm

im seeing it sunday ^-^
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Seeing it... probably when it comes to my singule-ghetto theatre (which'll be a few weeks since it only plays like 2 movies every week -_-). If not, I'll rent...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:44 pm

Anyone interested the History Channel will run a program called True Pirates Of The Caribbean on Sunday at 8 p.m. Eastern & Pacific.Also National Geographic Channel has already done a movie on the life of Edward 'Black Beard' Teach.
mitsuki lover

Postby Alice » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:11 pm

Teach is a stupid last name for a pirate. It's funny. (And I've always thought so!)

My brothers and I will probably see the new Pirates movie this summer.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Ashley » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:16 pm

I just got back from seeing 2. I dunno, it was hardly the WORST sequel I've ever seen, but to me it lacked a little something from the first. Mostly in the case of Elizabeth and Jack--Elizabeth I was severely disappointed in, and Jack felt like he could have made a few better jokes. But, I was thoroughly amused and did enjoy it quite a bit.
Ashley

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:53 pm

I went and saw this at the midnight showing at a nearby theater last night. It really lost the magic and fun of the original, IMHO. It also seemed to drag on much longer than it should have.

On the positive side, they definately spent time developing characters other than Jack Sparrow in this movie. This was a nice change from the first.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:29 pm

I agree with most about the movie. It was fun I thought but it was way to choppy, drug on waaay to long and I hated that ending!!! (Lol)

Not nearly as good as the first IMO but still a fun movie and I don't think the average Pirate fan is gonna care much. Everyone I went with left praising it so it just depends. Love it or hate it though, I don't see anyone skipping the third. Even if you hate this one you KNOW you are gonna be back to see how it ends after the second one ended like that!
Scarecrow

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Ashley wrote:I just got back from seeing 2. I dunno, it was hardly the WORST sequel I've ever seen, but to me it lacked a little something from the first. Mostly in the case of Elizabeth and Jack--Elizabeth I was severely disappointed in, and Jack felt like he could have made a few better jokes. But, I was thoroughly amused and did enjoy it quite a bit.

What did you find wrong with Elizabeth actually? I actually enjoyed her here better than in the last one though I'm not exactly sure why. She seemed more immature and baby-ish or something maybe and I dunno I just found that funny :P Especially when she was yelling at the guys and started throwing rocks, missing them by a mile, I was ROFL.

EDIT: Did anyone see the scene after the credits rolled? I forgot to stay and watch for that. Could someone post what the scene was thanks :D
Scarecrow

Postby Seppuku » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:04 pm

^^;; hoping to see it by the end of next week. O.O;; mabey tomarrow if i can round up the Seppu crew!

[url=myspace.com/seppukuasylum]myspace.com/seppukuasylum[/url]

"Theres no such thing as trolls!"
Then how do you explain the dead unicorns?
Seppuku

Postby Ranchluva » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:06 pm

Scarecrow wrote:What did you find wrong with Elizabeth actually? I actually enjoyed her here better than in the last one though I'm not exactly sure why. She seemed more immature and baby-ish or something maybe and I dunno I just found that funny :P Especially when she was yelling at the guys and started throwing rocks, missing them by a mile, I was ROFL.

EDIT: Did anyone see the scene after the credits rolled? I forgot to stay and watch for that. Could someone post what the scene was thanks :D

yes
SPOIL!!!: You know the whole indian wild tribe thingy...you know how they took the dog?? well it just shows the dog all painted up like the cheif and a giant bone in its mouth...thats all -_- it was really lame.

I thought the movie was excelent!!!
I'm alive people :)
Ranchluva

Postby Ashley » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:24 pm

Scarecrow wrote:What did you find wrong with Elizabeth actually?

Well...
[spoiler] The whole Jack x Elizabeth thing...it really bugged me. I mean, poor Will is risking life and limb (and soul!) to save her, and it's like she doesn't really care. I know it was a good plot element, but I already have a hard time trusting most female roles in movies, and this one just made me sick. I lost a ton of respect for her afterwards. [/spoiler]
Ashley

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:51 pm

I'm going to see it on Sunday with my brother, as of now. I'm excited! :)

Radical Dreamer

Postby SorasOathkeeper » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 pm

Saw it today. I aggree, Elizabeth was just blah...<.< But it was good.^^
SorasOathkeeper

Postby oro! » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:02 pm

Eh...I don't think I'll bring myself to watch it. It seems too dark for me, like what King Kong was. I just really don't trust the American movie industry anymore. It seems that if it isn't a kid's film, then it's automatically all the way at the other end. One can't enjoy the movie through all of the (excuse me) crap that gets in your way. Like tonight. Trying to watch Psych, and then there's this filth in the first two minutes. It seemed like a funny idea, but was messed up by the worldly people who made it...
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Rachel » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:06 pm

I really, really liked it. Yeah, it was a bit darker than the first but it worked for it I think. And that whole Elizabeth and Jack thing was a nice touch. I seriously wanted to jump up and pump my fists in the air, I had been waiting for that since the first one.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:53 am

Oh man, I loved it! It helped that I read every bad review of it that I could find beforehand so that my expectations would be low. Many of the things they said were true. The script wasn't as good as the first one -- it lacked the wit that made me love the first movie. The opening was somewhat abrupt and jumped straight in. It could have been shortened considerably (especially the island at the beginning). Even though they brought back a bunch of the old characters it kinda worked. I would have liked to see a little more conflict about having those two pirates on the crew (oh dear, I'm too lazy to look up their names...). Elizabeth didn't give much more than a second glance and Jack didn't seem to care at all. There seemed to be alot of fighting and then going back to working with each other as if nothing had happened so the feelings of the characters felt a little disjointed. I didn't think Johnny was as good as he was last time -- Captain Jack lacked a little of his swagger, but considering that he was preoccupied by his impending doom the entire movie it's understandable that he wasn't his normal self. All over it had a different feel than the first movie, but that isn't a bad thing.

All that being said, I still LOVED the movie. The action was fun, it was entertaining, and I got to see all the characters again. It is worth saying that I liked Will better this time around. I absolutely HATED Will in the first movie, so that's saying something. Elizabeth was good also ("Oh, the heat!"). I'm glad she was able to play a more active role in this movie. Her kiss with Jack was great, and the Jack/Elizabeth element was something I liked (although the uptake on it was a little abrupt... but hey, its Jack).
Some of my favorite scenes were:
[spoiler]- Jack shooting the bird off the coffin.
- "Where's that monkey? I need to shoot something"
- The payment of one undead monkey.
- The signups for the Black Pearl's crew.
- The fight between Jack, Will, and James.
- Jack coming back to the Pearl in the Kraken fight.
- Jack and Elizabeth's kiss, how she chained him to the mast, and when he called her a pirate and grinned.[/spoiler]
And then there was a cliffhanger. At least we only have to wait til May 2007 (I think).

Did anyone else notice [spoiler] When the black priestess lady let the monkey out of its cage it ran into that little room and was sniffing at someone's boots? That was Barbossa. Incidentally I'm not upset that they brought him back, as long as they explain it well in the next one. He would seem to be necessary, if he's been "to the ends of the earth and beyond".[/spoiler]

Oh and for all of you who didn't know already, the POTC 2 and 3 were written and filmed at the same time. 2 is more of a transition for 3. A trilogy was planned from the beginning if the first movie did well, or so I've heard.

My friends said they were really confused by the movie, but I thought it made plenty of sense (discluding the things that will be explained in the third movie). Did anyone else have this problem?
Kawaiikneko

Postby Puritan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:38 am

Well, I saw the movie last night with a friend, and I feel similarly to how jon_jinn and Ashley do. The movie wasn't bad by any means, it was just lacking something from the original. Much of the first portion seemed to be overly self-referential and written hastily or by a committee, it was somewhat jerky and seemed to simply be trying to prove that this was the second "Pirates..." movie. The movie as a whole had some really amusing parts, but the plot as a whole seemed a bit stilted, dragged on a bit at the end, and some of the characters were very dissapointing. Although, having played Monkey Island I was really amused when

[spoiler]The Voodoo Lady appeared! Alright, she had lost some weight and had a new name, but she was practically identical to the one in the game: wierd house, interesting decor and clothing style, heavy accent, strange and mystical form of speaking. Just no Guybrush Threepwood[/spoiler]

As for the romance Kawaiinekko and Ashley mentioned I second Ashley's comments. The whole situation just didn't sit well with me...

[spoiler] and neither did Elizabeth's actions at the end of the movie, leaving Captain Jack to be devoured by the Kraken (which, by the way, had me saying the line "Unleash the Kraken!" from the corny B-movie "Clash of the Titans" periodically for the rest of the night)[/spoiler]

Overall, a decent movie, and I can't say I regret paying to see it, but I don't think it lived up to the quality of its predecessor.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Next

Return to General Entertainment