Comic Book Fans?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:33 pm

My favorite miniseries of all time is definately Identity Crisis though. I absolutely love how human the characters were portrayed as, and I'm really happy that the same author is taking over the reins of JLA.

The scene where Slade took on several JLAers was one of the best fight scenes ever.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:51 pm

Azier the Swordsman wrote:My favorite miniseries of all time is definately Identity Crisis though. I absolutely love how human the characters were portrayed as, and I'm really happy that the same author is taking over the reins of JLA.

The scene where Slade took on several JLAers was one of the best fight scenes ever.

Is that what they call him now? I remember him as the Terminator... before the Terminator movies came out.
Arnobius

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:10 pm

Deathstroke and Slade are kinda used interchangebly, but Deathstroke is used more. Slade Wilson is his real name.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:43 pm

Azier the Swordsman wrote:Deathstroke and Slade are kinda used interchangebly, but Deathstroke is used more. Slade Wilson is his real name.

Yes I remembered his name was Slade. There was an arc from the arc in Teen Titans with Changeling and the girl he loved who was in an immoral relationship with Slade, and got killed in the battle. man, I think I was a Freshman in Highschool when I had those comics. (Suddenly feels ancient)

Deathstroke was new to me though. Like I said he was called "Terminator" back then. Guess I have been away for a long time
Arnobius

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:07 am

Azier the Swordsman wrote:The scene where Slade took on several JLAers was one of the best fight scenes ever.

I think it was good too, but I so wanted to see him get trashed! I just can't stand watching villains getting the upperhand for some reason. Must be in the blood.
Sammy Boy

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:43 pm

Ultra Magnus wrote:I think it was good too, but I so wanted to see him get trashed! I just can't stand watching villains getting the upperhand for some reason. Must be in the blood.

You mean more trashed than Green Arrow stabbing him in his bad eye and the rest of the league jumping him? :grin:
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Sammy Boy » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:28 am

I must have confused that with another issue (perhaps even of another title). I distinctly remember Slade beating the stuffings out of some heroes. Maybe the Teen Titans instead?
Sammy Boy

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:26 am

Ultra Magnus wrote:I must have confused that with another issue (perhaps even of another title). I distinctly remember Slade beating the stuffings out of some heroes. Maybe the Teen Titans instead?

Well, Slade definately beat the stuffing out of them in that issue, but they did indeed take him down in the end.

'Less than two minutes ago, Slade walked all over our powers. So who needs powers? Like I always say, the JSA may teach you how to be a hero, and the Titans may teach you how to be a family, but the League... sure, it teaches you how to protect, but from the very start, the League teaches you how to fight.' -Green Arrow
Azier the Swordsman

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:58 pm

The only problem with Crisis On Infinite Earths was it was supposed to fix everything so that there would be only one Universe and one time line but they had to tweak it around later in the '90s when they did the whole Hal Jordan Goes
Bad And Changes The Course Of History one.
mitsuki lover

Postby Sammy Boy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:10 am

Azier - did you memorise that quote off the top of your head? Wouldn't surprise me if you did. LOL!

And they later they explained that Hal Jordan didn't "really" go bad, or so I've read in the Rebirth series of Green Lantern. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:15 pm

He still had a lot of baggage when he visited Kyle and tried to take over being
Green Lantern from him.

btw:The reason for the entire Crisis storyline was that there were so many different versions of especially Supes backstory floating around that it was hard on the average reader to keep up with them all.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kkun » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:27 pm

I got bored and decided to make pictures of my comic book collection all laid out. It's small, but it's fun. >_>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby termyt » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:15 am

Bagged and boarded. Good man.

mitsuki lover wrote:The only problem with Crisis On Infinite Earths was it was supposed to fix everything so that there would be only one Universe and one time line but they had to tweak it around later in the '90s when they did the whole Hal Jordan Goes
Bad And Changes The Course Of History one.

Well, it did fix a lot, but they soon realized that there were problems inherent in the "One Timeline" dogma - especially considering they have a comic that takes palce 1000 years in the future. Every time a hero went into that future - an annoyingly common plot device, especially for Speedsters, they wrecked the Legion of Super-Heroes. Zero Hour was required to fix that dogma and softened the absoluteness of the DC timeline. Basically, DC decided the Legion would do what it wants regardless of any mucking of the timeline by other comic titles.

I agree that Infinite Crisis didn’t change the DCU as much as Crisis did, but it did do two key things that may have a greater affect than we realize at the moment. First, it re-introduced the multiple universe theory. Second, it was like hitting the reset button for the entire DCU. All of the main heroes are getting fresh starts and the over-all feeling in the DCU is a bit lighter than it was pre-Infinite Crisis. Hopefully, for this old man, the difference between the good guys and the bad guys will remain a little clearer this time around. Identity Crisis was a great story, but I didn't like what it did to the JLA.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:31 pm

Meanwhile just a few years ago Marvel did their Heroes Reborn saga.

I think one of the more interesting ideas was the entire DC vs.Marvel one that led to the temporary blending of the two universes and Amalgam comics.
DC vs.Marvel is for any fanboy of fangirl who ever dreamed of what it would be like if Clark Kent and Lois Lane worked alongside Peter Parker and for Jolly Jonah
Jamieson.
I only have the final volume but it was worth it to see Peter trying to flirt with Lois.
Then the entire Robin and Jubilee thing that was continued after the Amalgam ended.
mitsuki lover

Postby termyt » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:56 pm

The Robin / Jubilee fight was classic. I would have liked it to have been more of a focus. I definitely enjoyed the Marvel vrs DC, but it wasn't, of course, the first time the two universes interacted. I have a trade paperback that includes some of those stories. Most of them prior to Amalgam treat the heroes like they all live in the same world, they apparently just don't run into each other very often.
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby JediSonic » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:30 pm

I used to read amazing spiderman, and i'm now getting into Astonishing X-men (thanks to Kkun) :)
JediSonic

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:38 pm

Ultra Magnus wrote:Azier - did you memorise that quote off the top of your head? Wouldn't surprise me if you did. LOL!

Somewhat. I did peek, though. ;)

I'm enjoying 52... not as much as Crisis, but it's very interesting seeing what happening to the characters.

One thing dissapoints me though... is it just me or is the new writer for Nightwing writing him rather... out of character?
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Arnobius » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:17 pm

Meanwhile my favorite hero was Ambush Bug. I am guessing he's been long forgotten though?
Arnobius

Postby termyt » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:26 am

It's been a long time since I've seen hide or hair of him.

Edit: On that note, I've just learned that Ambush Bug will be appearing in Lobo Unbound issues 4-6, if you are interested.

Azier the Swordsman wrote:One thing dissapoints me though... is it just me or is the new writer for Nightwing writing him rather... out of character?

I quit collecting Nightwing because I couldn't take it anymore. L iked Devon Grayson's Nightwing, although she started leading him down a rather dark path. The new writer seems intent on continuing that spiral downward. The last year has, for me, seemed like a DC was intentionally trying to turn Nightwing into a thoroughly unlikable character.

He also seems to be advocating violence to the point of "crossing the line" in the Outsiders and fighting against that stand in his own book.
termyt

Postby ashfire » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:46 pm

My interest in comic books has been an off and on thing through the years but when I got into anime it picked up quite alot.
I hadn't been into one series like now but I have a few I have collected that I like.
ashfire

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:46 pm

termyt wrote:It's been a long time since I've seen hide or hair of him.

Edit: On that note, I've just learned that Ambush Bug will be appearing in Lobo Unbound issues 4-6, if you are interested.

I quit collecting Nightwing because I couldn't take it anymore. L iked Devon Grayson's Nightwing, although she started leading him down a rather dark path. The new writer seems intent on continuing that spiral downward. The last year has, for me, seemed like a DC was intentionally trying to turn Nightwing into a thoroughly unlikable character.

He also seems to be advocating violence to the point of "crossing the line" in the Outsiders and fighting against that stand in his own book.

Same here. The Oustiders is my second favorite DC series, and I'm sick of seeing the Nightwing I've come to know in Teen Titans/Oustsiders get constantly mangled in his own series.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:30 pm

Anyone read Captain Atom?
Sammy Boy

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:55 pm

No,but he was one of the characters that DC took over when it took over one of the smaller comics companies back in the '70s or '60s or so.Can't remember when.
Captain Atom appears in Crisis along with the Blue Beetle.

btw:Differences between the Golden and Silver Age Supermen:
*Golden Age married to Lois
*Silver Age never married Lois
*Golden Age worked for the Metropolis Star as Editor In Chief
*Silver Age worked for the Daily Planet as a Reporter
*The 'S' on the Golden Age Superman's shield is different
mitsuki lover

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:38 pm

Anyone ever read the Star Wars Tales comics? Those have some really good stories in them.
Maledicte

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:47 pm

I have.I have one of the Droids comics and one X Wing Squadron and one of Tales From The Cantina(I think it was)and a couple others.
I also have some Babylon 5,Lost In Space plus a ton of Star Trek comics.
One of the best is the Worst of Both Worlds saga,it's a What If?sort of storyline.
What If the Enterprise D hadn't been able to retrieve Picard/Locutus in time?
The basic premise is that the Locutus of an alternate reality finds a way to open a rift to send the Enterprise D from 'Our' reality to there.It's a last ditch gamble to stop the Borg as they have assimilated most of the Federation including Earth and
the Enterprise D there is one of the few ships left,but it's literally running on buckets and bolts now.
Commander Shelby and the alt Enterprise crew take over of the Enterprise D forcing Picard and company to help them.
mitsuki lover

Postby Yojimbo » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:27 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:Anyone ever read the Star Wars Tales comics? Those have some really good stories in them.

Yeah those are very good. The art is alright pretty typical early-mid 90's stuff nothing fancy but the story and characters reminds you why the Star Wars is so great.

I also forgot to mention I own A Warrior Princess from the Rogue Squadron series and Crimson Empire. Both are very good especially Crimson Empire.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Maledicte » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:48 pm

Recently I've read volume six of Tales, when they got the new editor. Really good stuff, my favorite was the Nomad four-parter.

"Fett Club" got a good laugh out of me, too.
Maledicte

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:43 pm

I liked the Power of Shazam comics that DC put out in the '90s.The entire storyline where Billy discovers that his sister Mary is still alive is great.
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:57 pm

Probably the oddest team up in comics history was the entire Star Trek/Star Trek:The Next Generation/X-Men trilogy crossover that was contained in two comics and the novel Planet X.Though the first comic is worth the price just for
Nurse Chapel's look when she says:"Dr.McCoy."and both Bones and Beast answer her!
mitsuki lover

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:23 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Probably the oddest team up in comics history was the entire Star Trek/Star Trek:The Next Generation/X-Men trilogy crossover that was contained in two comics and the novel Planet X.Though the first comic is worth the price just for
Nurse Chapel's look when she says:"Dr.McCoy."and both Bones and Beast answer her!

I saw the novelization in a book store. I showed it to someone who works there that I know and he was like "Eww. Put that back!" :lol:
Azier the Swordsman

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment