Comic Book Fans?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Comic Book Fans?

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:43 pm

There have GOTTA be more here than just me.

So, who still reads em and what are your favorites?

Azier's Personal Faves:

(Series)
Batman
JLA
Teen Titans
The Outsiders
Nightwing
Ultimate Spider Man

(Mini/Maxiseries)
Identity Crisis (JLA)
The Omac Project (JLA/Batman)
Infinite Crisis (All DC characters)
Azier the Swordsman

Postby everdred12a » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:13 pm

Courtesy of Kkun, I'm following Ultimate Spider-Man, and I've been buying Ultimate X-Men.

everdred12a

Postby Felix » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:29 pm

I guess manga doesn't count XD

Uh.. I don't read many comic BOOKS, like series type like marvel or something, but I love comics like Calvin and Hobbes, the Far side, Sherman's lagoon, garfield, and peanuts.

I do love one comic book: Beanworld. In my opinion this is the BEST comic ever. It's rather odd, but it grew on me majorly. I love it to death.
Felix

Postby MPX42 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:52 pm

I haven't read many comic books for a while.Though I am interested in the new Civil War series.Has anyone read it yet?
The following post has been MPX42's two cents.Strangly,after every single post he does,he gives two cents to random people. :hits_self

It's reported that 98% of the population has been roundhouse kicked by Chuck Norris at least once in their lives.If you're among the 2% that haven't,copy and paste this in your sig.
MPX42

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:24 pm

I've been a Marvel fan for as long as I can remember. Spiderman and X-Men were faves of mine even years prior to the movies (I blame it on the 90's animated series). I tend to snap up X-Men comics whenever I get the chance.

Other than that, I've been investigating graphic novels like Hellboy, Fray and Serenity Rose. I can borrow 'em for free at the library ^^
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Kkun » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:16 pm

I've been reading comics for a couple of years now. We had a thread about it a while back but it's so dead, it's good you started a new one, Az. I currently read Astonishing X-Men, New Avengers, a few of the Ultimates series (Ultimate Spider-Man being my favorite), Amazing Spider-Man, Thunderbolts, anything associated with whatever the current Marvel event is, All Star Batman and Robin, The Boy Wonder, and I just started the new Neil Gaiman/John Romita Jr. series Eternals today.

Is anyone reading Civil War and the books related to it? Holy cow. It's insane.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Arnobius » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:32 pm

Frank Miller's stuff was popular when I was in High School. I prefered Tintin and Asterix though.
Arnobius

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:36 pm

To quote a relatively long-time member on here who writes the scripts for the Archie comics: "I'm just in it for the funny." :lol:

My favorite is Peanuts, but I also like Archie, Garfield, and a few other strips from the Sunday morning comics section of the newspaper. ^_^
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:20 pm

Tintin
Asterix
(bit of) Batman
Dilbert
Farside
Calvin and Hobbes
The Phantom
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Maledicte » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:55 pm

The SANDMAN!!! *dances*
Fables
Y: The Last Man (except for the unneeded lesbian content)
Batman
Ultimate Spiderman, Xmen
Green Arrow: Quiver
JSA: The Liberty Files
Nightwing (Wahoo, another fan!)
Spiderman
Courtney Crumrin
Blankets
The Darkness
The Watchmen
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Marvel: 1602
V for Vendetta

I don't read these as regularly as I'd like. Mostly I swipe up whatever trade paperbacks I can.

Anyone hear of the new series "Shrugged"? It looks really funny.
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:29 pm

Oh, I forgot all the classics like Donald and Mickey comics, Talespin and Duckwing Duck and all those.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:11 am

...I read Spider-man when I get the chance.

Is Civil War it's own comic?
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:11 am

I'm a big fan of comic books. I just am.

I've always been a fan of Tintin and Asterix. I also like Batman, Spiderman, Moon Knight, Bone, Marvel 1602, Sandman (Neil Gaiman) etc. :)
bigsleepj

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:02 am

Currently following:

The Ultimates 2, Transformers Beast Wars (but I think that's finished for now), Street Fighter II, Batman / Superman, Civil War, Skye Runner.

Icarus wrote:Is Civil War it's own comic?

Icarus - yes, besides the crossover titles, there is a Civil War title out just for the latest shake-up.

Speaking of shake-ups...

Not that this is a new thing (years ago, we had DC's "Crisis on Infinite Earths"), but I've noticed that lately, the two biggest comic companies seem to like focusing on shake-ups and titles.

We had DC's "Identity Crisis". Then we had Marvel's "Avengers Disassembled". Then we had the follow-up of "The House of M". Then we had DC's "Infinite Crisis". Now we have Marvel's "Civil War".

From this came titles to do with numbers, such as Marvel's 198, and DC's 52. Both numbers, different reasons. DC generally seems to like concentrating on the grand-scheme big-picture cosmic stuff, while Marvel likes to zoom in on the tensions amongst its characters mainly on the planet Earth.

Different shake-ups happening, but shake-ups all the same.

Those who have been following the Captain Atom series will know that it's a precursor to WildStorm's own shake-up.

In all of this, I am tempted to draw my own universe of characters, and kill them all in the first issue, because I am convinced another shake-up would be the cool thing to do.

Not that shake-ups and cataclysmic events are necessarily a bad thing in the context of comics. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby battletech » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:40 am

The Amazing Spider-Man
Marvel Civil War
Wolverine Origins
The Invincible Iron Man
Ms. Marvel

These are all the series I'm reading right now.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby termyt » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:29 am

I've been reading comics for over a decade now, mostly in the DCU.

Crisis on Infinite Earths remains a favorite of mine. Infinite Crisis had a similar feel, but kind of felt to me like DC was just trying to re-hash the story a bit. But most younger readers probably either never read Crisis or don't really understand how it changed the DCU. For them, Infinite Crisis would have a greater impact than it did for me.

Anyways, I'm reading a lot of DC titles, but the team comics are my favorite. JSA tops that list followed by Legion of Super-Heroes, Green Lantern Corps, Teen Titans, Shadowpact, Secret Six, and JLA (once they start it up again).

A little bit of comic book history. Perhaps many of you already know - Which comic book featured the first ever Super-Hero team?

[spoiler=the answer]It was the Justice League of America. The concept proved so popular that Marvel quickly countered with its own super-team - the Fantastic Four.[/spoiler]
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:45 am

Another bit of useless Comic-book trivia / history.

Question 1: What silent movie star inspired the Clark Kent persona of Superman?

Answer 1: Harold Lloyd.

Question 2: What silent movie character inspired the Joker from Batman?

Gwynplaine the tragic hero from the silent movie "The Man who Laughs (1927)" He was played by Conrad Veidt, the actor who would later play the Nazi baddie in Casablanca.
bigsleepj

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:43 am

Termyt - Crisis on Infinite Earths was good (both plotwise and the fact that it was a "necessary" shake-up), but I'm not overly fond of George Perez's art style, though he does deserve credit for drawing a heap of characters!
Sammy Boy

Postby Kkun » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:27 am

Ultra Magnus wrote:Currently following:

The Ultimates 2, Transformers Beast Wars (but I think that's finished for now), Street Fighter II, Batman / Superman, Civil War, Skye Runner.

Icarus - yes, besides the crossover titles, there is a Civil War title out just for the latest shake-up.

Speaking of shake-ups...

Not that this is a new thing (years ago, we had DC's "Crisis on Infinite Earths"), but I've noticed that lately, the two biggest comic companies seem to like focusing on shake-ups and titles.

We had DC's "Identity Crisis". Then we had Marvel's "Avengers Disassembled". Then we had the follow-up of "The House of M". Then we had DC's "Infinite Crisis". Now we have Marvel's "Civil War".

From this came titles to do with numbers, such as Marvel's 198, and DC's 52. Both numbers, different reasons. DC generally seems to like concentrating on the grand-scheme big-picture cosmic stuff, while Marvel likes to zoom in on the tensions amongst its characters mainly on the planet Earth.

Different shake-ups happening, but shake-ups all the same.

Those who have been following the Captain Atom series will know that it's a precursor to WildStorm's own shake-up.

In all of this, I am tempted to draw my own universe of characters, and kill them all in the first issue, because I am convinced another shake-up would be the cool thing to do.

Not that shake-ups and cataclysmic events are necessarily a bad thing in the context of comics. :)

Yeah, I mean, some of them are kind of crazy but I think the shake-ups are good for the industry because they give it something fresh and exciting. I mean, I re-read the entire House of M series (not including tie-ins) at least three times. I liked it that much. I think Civil War is going to be even more insane, possibly even better than House of M because the effects of the Superhuman Registration Act are so widespread and not limited to just mutants.

If I had more money, I'd be following a lot more series, believe me. I love me some good western comics.
Kkun

Postby Arnobius » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:27 am

In the 80's I was into the comics, but I think I got tired of the Marvel inconsistancies. X-Men and the whole Jean Grey/Dark Pheonix thing got too out of hand I thought
[spoiler]when they decided to have Cyclops' wife be Jean reincarnated[/spoiler]
Who knows maybe they wrapped up all the loose ends to everyone's satisfaction but I quit before then.

Then there was Alpha Flight and their serious devaluation of the "Hero Death".

I remember thinking "Dark Knight Returns" was fascinating when it came out, but reading it again for the aniversary re-release, I found that the values I favored then were now appalling to me.

"Watchmen" was excellent though.
Arnobius

Postby Rogie » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:35 pm

I've recently returned to reading comics after a 10-year hiatus. I'm reading Ultimate X-Men, as well as the original Uncanny X-men series, via the Essentials. I may pick up some Spidey before it's over.
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Kkun » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Rogie wrote:I've recently returned to reading comics after a 10-year hiatus. I'm reading Ultimate X-Men, as well as the original Uncanny X-men series, via the Essentials. I may pick up some Spidey before it's over.

The Ultimates stuff is really good. If you want some Spidey then Ultimate Spider-Man is extremely well-written, sharp-witted, action-packed, and other hyphenated phrases. It's really, really good.
Kkun

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:16 pm

I have everything from Untold Tales of Spiderman to Lost In Space.
As far as superhero comics go:
DC:
Superman
Supergirl
Superboy
Steel
Batman
Catwoman
The Flash(Wally West version)
Green Lantern(Kyle Rayner version)

Marvel:
Uncanny X-Men
The Fantastic Four
Untold Tales of Spiderman
Captain America
mitsuki lover

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:25 am

Those of who you love comics and thinking through the moral issues presented in the stories really ought to grab hold of "Superheroes and philosophy: truth, justice, and the Socratic way" (ed. Tom Morris & Matt Morris) and read it (if you haven't done so already)! A very interesting book.
Sammy Boy

Postby termyt » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:37 am

AnimeHeretic wrote:I remember thinking "Dark Knight Returns" was fascinating when it came out, but reading it again for the aniversary re-release, I found that the values I favored then were now appalling to me.

Yes. Thank you. I realize that Miller's story is credited with the re-vitalization of Batman, but I really don't like the path he set the Dark Knight down. He went from using his great deductive skills to figure out the problem to using his fists to beat the answers out of crooks. He kind of just became a super-hero thug, IMHO.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Yojimbo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:21 am

I'm a big Batman guy.

The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Year One
The Killing Joke
Hush
The Long Halloween

I want Arkham Asylum, The Cult, Son of the Demon, and Dark Victory.

On the other side of the coin I have:
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Astonishing X-Men
X-Men: Mutant Genesis
Uncanny X-Men
X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:36 pm

What I liked about the '90s Catwoman comics was that not only did they give you
the view from everyone's favorite feline felon,but it also went into the background of how Selina Kyle got to be the way she was.
mitsuki lover

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:29 pm

termyt wrote:Yes. Thank you. I realize that Miller's story is credited with the re-vitalization of Batman, but I really don't like the path he set the Dark Knight down. He went from using his great deductive skills to figure out the problem to using his fists to beat the answers out of crooks. He kind of just became a super-hero thug, IMHO.

Yeah, on one side the idea of Batman being as crazy as the crooks he fought was interesting, but on the other some of the implications of the world he made were ones I disapproved of. In the end I found myself thinking Superman was right and Batman was wrong. Of course I think the final issue was a bit forced compared to parts 1-3, so maybe it was one of those rushed conclusions.
Arnobius

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:35 pm

termyt wrote:Crisis on Infinite Earths remains a favorite of mine. Infinite Crisis had a similar feel, but kind of felt to me like DC was just trying to re-hash the story a bit. But most younger readers probably either never read Crisis or don't really understand how it changed the DCU. For them, Infinite Crisis would have a greater impact than it did for me.
That would stand true for me personally. However, I respect the first Crisis more as I really do believe it affected the DCU more. The end result of the recent Crisis didn't do much more than kill off/seriously change/injure (Superboy, Bumblebee and Vox, for example) characters while the original Crisis really did change everything.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:25 pm

Azier the Swordsman wrote:That would stand true for me personally. However, I respect the first Crisis more as I really do believe it affected the DCU more. The end result of the recent Crisis didn't do much more than kill off/seriously change/injure (Superboy, Bumblebee and Vox, for example) characters while the original Crisis really did change everything.

Yes I remember the original Crisis, and it was needed with all the confusion of the Alternate Earths (Earth 1, Earth 2 etc.) Trying to figure out canon was very difficult.

Of course I'm not sure how many of the changes of the original were permanent since I've been out of touch with comics since the late 80's when X-Men vs the Avengers first introduced the anti-mutant theme in Marvel (or I think it did. Back then I was too poor to be able to afford back issues)
Arnobius

Next

Return to General Entertainment