Is Anime as a genre...dying out?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Is Anime as a genre...dying out?

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:59 am

I have seen a pattern...At my book store there used to be thsi Ginormous area for anime and manga..it was right in the middle of the store...now..the manga has been moved to the back..and the anime has been moved to a place that isnt as easy to find.

Kids Wb is taking all anime off their saturday morning block, and the only manga on the top book list is naruto...(in the 40s)

So...is it just me...or is anime and manga...kind of dying out?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:02 pm

Don't think so. Norway is kinda developing a sence for it as well as the states. I think its gonna be red-hot in about 10 years.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Linksquest » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:04 pm

I don't think that it is dying out... almost the opposite is happening. I think that it is getting more popular. Stores change their merchandise for different reasons. It probably doesn't reflect the anime market as a whole.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:08 pm

It isn't.
For one thing you have to realize these things come and go in cycles and what we are expierencing now may simply be a minor dip.Another thing to consider is that what you are talking about may simply be a local phenomena.Other areas might be different.
Then too it may simply be the type of anime that you are looking for.
On the other hand you can still find a lot of places that sell anime on the internet including Amazon.com and Borders as well as sites such as Animenation and The Anime Corner Store who center their buisness on selling Anime to the public online.
mitsuki lover

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:27 pm

It's not really a genre. I'm with Gilles Poitras on this one. It seems more appropriate to call it a medium.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:44 pm

Anime isn't a Genre... It's not a medium either (that would be "animation") but medium is closer (or more tolerable to me, anyhow) than genre... And, no, it's not dying out... No medium can die out, really. Only become less popular in a certain place for a certain purpose... Bla

Is it getting less popular here? I don't think so... I'm running across a lot more people who watch anime now than a few years ago...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:50 pm

yah... that must only be for your area... (except for the thing about the WB but you have to remember that the WB only started playing anime in the first place because of pokemon... so it would make sense for them to move on now while other stations like adult swim are just upping there anime lineup) ANd I would agree with the majority of members who have come across this thread! Anime is actually really growing right now! I can really see it at my school where most everyone watches anime. manga and anime are even making there way into our school library! but yah... I highly doubt anime will die out soon!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Puritan » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:04 pm

I also agree with the idea that anime is growing. Stores in the areas I've been are carrying ever-increasing amounts of Manga, Anime sections are sprouting up in the video stores I've seen, and the libraries I've seen have started carrying Manga and Anime. It's probably just related to the store or your area.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:14 pm

Nah, I doubt there's much to worry about. I recently went to a Waldenbooks located in a bigger city than my town, and the "best-sellers" section was FULL of manga, plushies, anime, and anime posters (I was ecstatic, by the way. XD). Their manga section, which was in the middle of the store, had five bookshelves as tall as the average ceiling and about 5 feet wide each that were FULL of manga. The last shelf had the bottom two shelves stocked with anime, and on the other side of the first shelf, there were more manga, action figures, and wallscrolls at the bottom. After getting over my shock and awe, I was able to actually shop around, but all this to say that I don't think we've got anything to worry about when it comes to anime and manga. XD Yay!

EDIT: And I forgot to mention, the Books-A-Million in my town used to have their manga and comics in the back of the store, but last year, they moved it closer to the middle of the store, and it's been there ever since. :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Arnobius » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:30 pm

Not just CR's area. I have noticed the trend as well. I don't think it's dying out so much, but with the anime becoming increasingly available on TV and manga available in the libraries, the bookstores and video outlets have cut way back on the shelf space.

Probably what we have seen is the end of the "boom" market and things have reached their current market share. Those people who dabbled when it was everywhere and decided it wasn't to their liking have pulled out, leaving those who were already fans or who have become fans. So the market has adjusted to fit that demographic.

Notice that several series of manga were suddenly left high and dry my ADV and other companies as they seemed to notice that people were becoming discriminating in what they bought.

The demographics have certainly changed though. When I first got into it, the main audience were adults who could afford the $29.99 for a 60 minute VHS and "mainstream" titles were largely the graphic violence and (non-hentai) nudity types that gave anime the reputation it has today. Nowadays, the distributors focus to a younger audience.

Unfortunately this has some drawbacks in that there is no longer the diversity there once was which makes it less appealing if you're not a member of that demographic.

What I suspect will happen is we'll see the market shrink to where it meets the demand of the buyers demographic.
Arnobius

Postby creed4 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:15 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Nah, I doubt there's much to worry about. I recently went to a Waldenbooks located in a bigger city than my town, and the "best-sellers" section was FULL of manga, plushies, anime, and anime posters (I was ecstatic, by the way. XD). Their manga section, which was in the middle of the store, had five bookshelves as tall as the average ceiling and about 5 feet wide each that were FULL of manga. The last shelf had the bottom two shelves stocked with anime, and on the other side of the first shelf, there were more manga, action figures, and wallscrolls at the bottom. After getting over my shock and awe, I was able to actually shop around, but all this to say that I don't think we've got anything to worry about when it comes to anime and manga. XD Yay!

EDIT: And I forgot to mention, the Books-A-Million in my town used to have their manga and comics in the back of the store, but last year, they moved it closer to the middle of the store, and it's been there ever since. :D

My books - a million still has it on one shelf in the back
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Ashley » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:08 pm

I work at a Borders/Seattle's Best Coffee in Houston and I can safely assure you there's no shortage there---we have rows and rows and rows of titles (that I get a 33% off discount on, yay!), and *some* dvds. The one in Fort Worth is even better than this one. Plus, think of all the recent developments...the anime channel, Viz's new line of titles, Tokyopop's spin on the deal by making "home-grown" manga...it seems to me it's here to stay.
Ashley

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:13 pm

No, it's not dying.
However, I have noticed that it has gotton to the point where there is more manga released than the bookstores necessarily have shelf space for so they have to pick and choose which titles that they want to carry.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Myoti » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:32 pm

Yeah, it seems to be growing more in most areas, and I think most of the ones they were playing on KidsWB kinda... suck anyways (as do the ones on 4Kids, though they seem to be focusing more on the Shoujo now for some odd reason). Most of the good anime on mainstream TV is now on CN, it seems.

Unfortunately this has some drawbacks in that there is no longer the diversity there once was which makes it less appealing if you're not a member of that demographic.

What I suspect will happen is we'll see the market shrink to where it meets the demand of the buyers demographic.

There's a specific example about this I could make, but it was unfortunately moved to the DnD list (it is a fitting example...).
Myoti

Postby Arnobius » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:23 pm

It could be regional then. I've noticed where I live in California it is a general across the board reduction of content of what it was say 2 years ago. Suncoast, Best Buy, Tower, Frys all have shrunk their shelf space for anime, and likewise the major book chains have shrunk their shelf space for manga. The only place that hasn't shrunk where I am is Borders, and they merely stayed the same.

These places of course were the trend setters, the first places in the Bay Area to try to sell untranslated manga, the first to sell the anime soundtracks and other paraphanelia. Now they're not dying. They're always well stocked with the latest, but in the past it used to be the local book stores would have their overflow space filled with manga.

Like I said before I think the novelty aspect has worn off. Now the people who buy tend to be more dedicated fans.
Arnobius

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:44 pm

oooh....I also just noticed this is the wrong area for this...^^; sorry..

OK good!! Maybe it's just my area then...I don't want to see anime go out...^^;

Thanks for the feed back guys!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:12 pm

Where I'm at, my local bookstores still have tons of manga. Don't worry, anime/manga isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:51 pm

It's interesting that the Barnes & Nobles I go to has a ton of manga but not too much of the anime department,while the Borders is the opposite.I think I already
mentioned this.
Of course it could be that since I don't get to Spokane too often that a lot of the anime is bought up before I get to B&N and so what is there is just what hasn't been sold.
Also the more popular a series the more likely you will find it in your local book or vdieo store.
Titles like Inuyasha,Cowboy Bebop,Fruits Basket,etc. will probably be the easiest to find.
mitsuki lover

Postby Ashley » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:26 pm

It's interesting that the Barnes & Nobles I go to has a ton of manga but not too much of the anime department,while the Borders is the opposite.

Actually, my Borders is the opposite. Way more manga (5-6 full cases) to anime (3-4 shelves with random titles).

Don't rule out Ebay, too. I bet anime related stuff is still their #1 selling point.
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:02 pm

Ashley wrote:Don't rule out Ebay, too. I bet anime related stuff is still their #1 selling point.

And some of it might possibly be legit...

...Naah ;)
Arnobius

Postby creed4 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:17 am

They have a large section at my books-a-million
creed4

Postby termyt » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:48 am

I would think that if manga and anime DVD selections are thinning, it has more to do with your local store figuring out what is selling. I've notice the manga section of my local borders shrink a little, too. They are offering fewer titles on the shelf and they no longer stock every volume of the titles they are selling. Of course, they are more than happy to order anything you want. It seems to me it is just an adjustment for a medium that was wildly popular for a short time and has since dropped back to a more even pace.

DVD releases of old (and current) TV shows seem to be the new trend taking up a lot of shelf space at my local Bet Buy. Perhaps that is the new fad.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Tommy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:12 am

Naruto is the only manga to make it to the 100 topsellers.

Manga and anime are reall unpopular where I'm from. While they sell well in Border's, unless you hide that you are into it (like most people) people persecute you like crazy.
Tommy

Postby Ashley » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:29 am

Well that's not uncommon, Tom. Despite it's mainstream popularity these last few years, anime is still mispercieved by many. My parents and family understand--even if they do make a few quips now and then--but certainly, my seminary friends are at a total loss to understand why, for example, my walls are plastered with "cat-boys and bunny-hookers" (poor, poor Meroko! How they harangue you!). Even in Japan, I've heard anime is just a sub-culture like it is here, so chances are that uncomfortable feeling isn't going away any time soon. Even *I* am uncomfortable talking about it around people who aren't fellow otakus!
Ashley

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:32 am

I can remember the same thing being true of Sci Fi and Star Trek in particuliar.
When I was growing up if you were a Trekkie you were considered a bit weird,but now it's ok to be a Trekker because a lot of people are into Star Trek,especially a lot of people who are into the sciences.
So all it would need for anime to burst out of being a subculture would be that one show that would attract both otakus and everyday viewers both.
mitsuki lover

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:31 am

Its popularity, however, has been diminishing somewhat in Japan. It's still a pretty large phenomenon, but their kids are leaning more toward electronics: souped-up cell phones, video games, and more. I was talking to a professor of Japanese literature the other day, and he said a major university it Kyoto recently added a department of manga and anime studies. With a laugh, he added that when they start studying anything in a university in Japan, it's pretty much over. With the original popularity, though, and the fact that this is only the beginning of the decline, it's still pretty widespread.
Aka-chan

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:28 pm

Ashley wrote:Well that's not uncommon, Tom. Despite it's mainstream popularity these last few years, anime is still mispercieved by many. My parents and family understand--even if they do make a few quips now and then--but certainly, my seminary friends are at a total loss to understand why, for example, my walls are plastered with "cat-boys and bunny-hookers" (poor, poor Meroko! How they harangue you!). Even in Japan, I've heard anime is just a sub-culture like it is here, so chances are that uncomfortable feeling isn't going away any time soon. Even *I* am uncomfortable talking about it around people who aren't fellow otakus!

*LOL* that's so mean of them! yet terribly funny...and I can so relate!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby creed4 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:11 pm

I can understand that too, I wonder about it when I get to Seminary, I know for some it out of the norm, Many people still consider cartoons only for children, But I notice that many my age and lower are into it, so I think things are changing
creed4

Postby Arnobius » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Meanwhile I'm at the age where people think there is something immature about me to be reading it/watching it. I think the age limit where this is tolerated is rising, but not so high that I can read it without people being troubled.
Arnobius

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:14 pm

AH...you are ok... I once saw a like 55 year old man reading Love Hina in my book store. I was like. "Woahhhh...."

I don't think you are any different than the trekkies or starwars fans.

Hey, Anime is better than collecting nascar cars..XD my dad is HUGE into Nascar...at least anime has a plotline...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Next

Return to General Entertainment