Silent films

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Silent films

Postby KBMaster » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:11 pm

Okay, nearly everyone in my family hates silent films and thinks I'm weird cuz I love them(except for my sister, who also likes them but inserts her own dialgogue and story), so I need to know I am not the only weird one. Does anyone else like silent films? If so, which ones do you like? I like The Sheik(and another one that I cannot remember the name of). :)
KBMaster

Postby Linksquest » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:39 pm

I do like them, but I don't know any specific ones to mention! :sweat:

There was a silent film that had a re-done soundtrack. They featured it on TCM once, and I really like the music that the new composer made for it. Sometimes silent films can get aggrivating when they use the same tune over and over again. When done the right way, which some of them were, they can be very artistic and quite a nice experience.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:53 pm

I like some: Metropolis, and Keystone Kops - stuff like that. I also enjoy the Marx Bros. Their stuff isn't silent, but its from a similar era and is still um black and white. (lol)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:53 pm

I love silent movies. Silent movies are one of the things that make life worth living. :)

I have several Buster Keaton movies on DVD (The General, Steamboat Bill Jr, Our Hospitality, Sherlock Jr, The Navigator), as well as one Charles Chaplin movie (Gold Rush, though I hope to get more) and even a few German Expressionistic Films (The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, Nosferatu). I hope to see Fritz Lang's Metropolis someday, though, as well as Murnau's Faust and Sunrise. I also hope to purchase the Harold Lloyd Collection. Lloyd is supposedly one of silent cinema's forgotten geniuses; I'd like to see if that's true.
bigsleepj

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:25 pm

The General was based on the historical theft of the title engine during the Civil War by a group of Union guerillas.

Let's see I like Laurel And Hardy.
mitsuki lover

Postby suribachi » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:01 am

I like The General. Metropolis is cool.
I think Wings is really awesome.
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father."
John 14:12
suribachi

Postby Shinja » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:53 am

i love silent films, theyre probaly some of the best movies ever made. hmmm my favorite would probably be the general by buster keaton.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:50 pm

Alas some of the best silent movie stars couldn't make the adjustment to talkies because they didn't have the right type of voice.
mitsuki lover

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Buster Keaton had a rather good voice. Alas, his career was ruined by MGM studios who did not understand they way he made his movies.

For a good modern comparison, Hollywood studios don't really understand the style of Jackie Chan's movies which is why his best work remains his Hong Kong pictures.
bigsleepj

Return to General Entertainment