movie plots you didn't get when you were little?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

movie plots you didn't get when you were little?

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed May 24, 2006 2:32 pm

Well, Disney movies say had pretty simple plots than even a 3 year old would understand (IMO^^), but was there ever a movie where you didn't understand the plot fully when you were young?

3 movies stand out for me:

- All Dogs Go to Heaven: got the main bit of it, but never realized how bad Charlie B. Bargain was (or even GOT the pun on his name) or even WHY Carface didn't like him as a "friend" (aka partner) anymore :/ Really have to rewatch that movie again^^ Did many years ago and still remember a lot of the dialogue, but ya know, for old times sake^^

EDIT: my mistake yet again it's not "Bargain" but "Barkin". First would make ALOT more sense though^^ Yeah... I'm rewatching it right now... SO much I'm picking up now once again^^

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: dissliked this out of the 3 movies when I was little. Rewatched all 3 a couple years ago and realized there was SO much to the movie that I had forgotten and realized it was because the plot didn't really make sense to me? Like what was up with all the teen gangs and all, never clued in when I was 3-5 :/

- Jurassic Park: Only one little bit on here I didn't get when I was young^^ Actually just rewatched this a couple months ago and FINALLY got it: [spoiler] you know the part where the guy opens up all the fences to steal the embryos, never did get it that he was actually trying to SMUGGLE them! Thought it was his job to take them with him or something :/ Not sure why, but I know I haven't seen it for a loooong time until that one day [/spoiler]

And that's all I can think of for now^^
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Arnobius » Wed May 24, 2006 2:53 pm

Well I can remember seeing the movie "Help!" on TV when I was six. I knew about the Beatles since my parents had a lot of records about. But I was too young to realize it was a comedy. So I remember being upset about all the peril Ringo was going through, and I thought the other members of the Beatles were being "mean" to him (I had thought they were to blame)

The other movie that confused me from that age was seeing part of "Godspell" on TV. My mother tried to explain it but I think I was truly too young to get it, in a conversation that I recall went something to this effect:
Mother: That man is supposed to be Jesus
Me (Looks at costume): Jesus is Superman?
Mother (Probably regretting she began the conversation): No, he's just dressed like that
Me: Oh so Jesus is pretending to be Superman?
Arnobius

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed May 24, 2006 6:12 pm

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: dissliked this out of the 3 movies when I was little. Rewatched all 3 a couple years ago and realized there was SO much to the movie that I had forgotten and realized it was because the plot didn't really make sense to me? Like what was up with all the teen gangs and all, never clued in when I was 3-5 :/

When I was little, I didn't quite understand everything about it either. But watching it in recent years, I've realized there was a lot more to it. I always liked it as a kid, and I like it as an adult now but for different reasons :]

I honestly can't remember any others that I didn't understand. But I'm sure there were some.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Puritan » Wed May 24, 2006 6:22 pm

I was confused (and slightly scared) by "The Yellow Submarine" and "Labyrinth" when I was a kid. I distinctly remember school showing "Labyrinth" right before a holiday period when I was pretty young, and I really didn't like it. Oddly enough, I had already read "The Hobbit" at this point and I found that more entertaining, less confusing, and less scary. I was an interesting child, let me tell you.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed May 24, 2006 6:57 pm

Puritan wrote:I was confused (and slightly scared) by "The Yellow Submarine" and "Labyrinth" when I was a kid.

What are they about anyhow? I remember seeing the box of Labyrinth when I was little and wanted to watch it (I was in a Moonbeam Entertainment phase then, watching stuff like Pet Shop, Prehysteria!, and Dragon World) but never did... and Yellow Submarine reminds me of the Simpsons when The Beatles were floating around Lisa's dream in one :/
Tenshi no Ai

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed May 24, 2006 7:08 pm

Briefly disregarding age, I still don't understand the ending to Ocean's 11 and I've seen it multiple times >_<
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed May 24, 2006 9:55 pm

I didn't get the star wars trilogy completely when I watched them as a kid... I didn't understand space balls, for sure... Hmm... Indiana Jones... I didn't quite understand those movies... A lot of them I didn't get...

When I was young, there was no way I'd catch political and social satire in movies, either

As for Yellow submarine... I was so psyched to see that a year ago, then I found out how much it just... sucked... There isn't much to "get" in it... Really... The blue meanies don't like music, so they silence everything, and the beatles have to use acid to save the day. I guess it may have seemed more complex than that if you were a kid... Experimental films like that rarely impress me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Puritan » Thu May 25, 2006 5:47 am

I'll admit, there isn't alot to "The Yellow Submarine", but it still confused me. As for Labryrinth, it's a pretty typical young-girl-helped-by-magical-companions-saves-baby-brother-taken-by-evil-guy story.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu May 25, 2006 12:29 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:Briefly disregarding age, I still don't understand the ending to Ocean's 11 and I've seen it multiple times >_<

Was that the original Frank Sinatara version or the George Clooney remake?
mitsuki lover

Return to General Entertainment