Poseidon...

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Poseidon...

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon May 22, 2006 7:12 pm

...more suspense and action in that movie than you can shake a Titanic at!

For a (predictable) suspense, this sure had it's fair amount of action! Even I got a little tense during it and I don't normally during those type of movies^^ It was sure different with their approach to get you to sympathize with the characters: you hardly know anything about them, you don't even remember their names (although Fergy made a cameo), but it's one that really gets you thinking (at least me) ethic-wise. Like what WOULD you do in that sort of situation who leads, who to trust, pick if someone dies so others will live etc etc :/ Probably why it hit me so much as a thriller since I was thinking a bit too deep on it^^ Great effects and everything! Probably alot better than the orginal 70's one^^

Anyhow here's the content info for if anyone wants to go see it but hasn't:

violence:
Well, you've got dead bodies up the ying-yang in this movie :/ So if seeing corpses and slightly burnt bodies, then maybe stay away^^

sexuality/nudity:
Next to none. There was a couple that kissed and at one point the guy was touching her thigh. Also in one scene you see one girl in the water where her dress sort of rides up and reveal granny-panties.

language:
Hardly any :/ A couple words but nothing harsh.

bad religion stuffage:
All I can think of is the ethicness on a person using their best judgement on who should die so others live and stuff... but either than that.

...thoughts on the film?
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 22, 2006 7:37 pm

Does it have anything to do with Greek Mythology?

What's it about?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Anime Dad » Mon May 22, 2006 7:53 pm

It's a rehash of an old movie called The Poseidon Adventure. A cruise ship is turned upside down by a big wave, and a bunch of people try to make it to the bottom (ie now the top) to escape.
Anime Dad

Location: Australia.... BTW i'm not really a dwarf with a bushy beard and a helmety thing.....

Postby Locke » Mon May 22, 2006 8:42 pm

A local station was giving away free screening tickets, no one took them =(
I wish I'd have been there, it looks pretty decent.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Scarecrow » Mon May 22, 2006 9:10 pm

I havent seen this one yet. How does it compare with the original? I thought the original was pretty decent.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue May 23, 2006 8:50 am

This movie actually looked good. My mom said it was decent.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue May 23, 2006 9:41 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Does it have anything to do with Greek Mythology?

What's it about?

Anime Dad bascially covered it, but the name "Poseidon" is the name of the boat, which is significantly symbolic. Yeah it is the Greek God of the sea and all (at the beginning of the movie they mention it and then compare it to the boat's splendor) but sort of in a Titanicish way of "this ship cannot sink!" that the sea is alot stronger than any boat^^ Never been on a cruise but too bad... that one looked so nice and fancy!

I heard that in the orginal they were celebrating Christmas, unlike New Years in this orginal. I think the fact they choose New Years to celebrate made the whole thing even more ironic^^

But yeah really like this one even though it was REALLY short! I was expecting it to be longish sort of like Titanic, but it barely even ran for an 1 1/2! Yet, it did cover ALOT for that short time frame.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue May 23, 2006 9:41 am

I liked the old movie pretty good. I thought about watching this one when it goes to the dollar theatre.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Linksquest » Tue May 23, 2006 9:49 am

Anime Dad wrote:It's a rehash of an old movie called The Poseidon Adventure. A cruise ship is turned upside down by a big wave, and a bunch of people try to make it to the bottom (ie now the top) to escape.

OH!!! I think I saw this (the old version)... wasn't there also a sequel to it in the day? I think I saw both of the old films. I just might HAVE to watch this now. hehe.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby creed4 » Tue May 23, 2006 10:24 am

I saw the previews and roled my eyes at another remake
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue May 23, 2006 10:55 am

Linksquest wrote:OH!!! I think I saw this (the old version)... wasn't there also a sequel to it in the day?

I was looking it up before and yeah there's a sequel to it :/ Not sure how they'd do that one unless the took the same idea and did it to another boat :/ Heh it reminds me when my friends and I were joking around about if a Titanic sequel was every made: "What would the plot be about? Titanic resurfacing or something?!"
Tenshi no Ai

Postby creed4 » Tue May 23, 2006 11:08 am

They did a movie about that in the eighties before the Titanic was found, It was called raise the titanic
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Linksquest » Tue May 23, 2006 11:10 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:I was looking it up before and yeah there's a sequel to it :/ Not sure how they'd do that one unless the took the same idea and did it to another boat :/ Heh it reminds me when my friends and I were joking around about if a Titanic sequel was every made: "What would the plot be about? Titanic resurfacing or something?!"

OH... if i remember correctly the sequel took place right after [SPOILER] Some of the people from the first movie got rescued [/SPOILER] and then some people went back to the same ship to recover some sort of treasure that was in the ship.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Return to General Entertainment