Ha, ha! The Da Vinci Code is getting bad reviews

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat May 20, 2006 3:47 pm

To think Creation is a theory is simply silly... Theories can be disproven.

I'm glad the movie is bombing right now. (Though the trailers looked really cool.)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat May 20, 2006 4:28 pm

Hmmm now that I look at what actually made the top 10 at the box office for the weekend, it's true despite the fact that the hype has created a ton of stuff to promote the show, and that it came out last night you'd think... anyhow box office this weekend is thus far:

1. Mission Impossible III
2. Poseidon
3. RV
4. Just My Luck
5. An American Haunting
6. United 93
7. Stick It
8. Ice Age: The Meltdown
9. Silent Hill
10. Hoot
11. Scary Movie 4

I'll keep checking to see if it even makes this list in the next couple of days (because if it was THAT big of a blockbuster it would be on already, right?)
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Tommy » Sat May 20, 2006 4:35 pm

<snipped>

Mod note: I've decided to snip this comment, in light of the fact that I requested that discussion on this topic to stop. PM me with any thoughts or questions.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 20, 2006 4:43 pm

The most recent I can find are for last week. You may not be able to get info until Monday.

According to the reports I can find, it made $29m the first day
Arnobius

Postby Linksquest » Sat May 20, 2006 5:15 pm

<snipped>

mod note: Like Tom's comment, I've gone ahead and snipped this comment to prevent further conversation that might prove unproductive to this thread. Any further questions or discussions of this topic can be taken to PM. Thank you.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 20, 2006 5:27 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:With that said, let's not let this turn into a debate about evolution (in other words, let's drop this, okay). Remember, guys, one thread on this subject has already been closed. Let's not do that to this one, okay?

Just a reminder of what the mods have said already :)
Arnobius

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Sat May 20, 2006 5:29 pm

I don't know about the DaVinci code...it is getting so much controversy....but even on these specials about it on the History channel says that the plot of the book in inconclusive....so if the History channel disagrees with it, you know it is wrong....
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby FadedOne » Sat May 20, 2006 5:37 pm

Phantom_Sorano wrote:I don't know about the DaVinci code...it is getting so much controversy....but even on these specials about it on the History channel says that the plot of the book in inconclusive....so if the History channel disagrees with it, you know it is wrong....

Yeah, my Mom was watching history channel & they came across exceptionally skeptical about the book's claims. I consider HC to be rather liberal when it comes to religion related stuffs, so I was surprised.
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
~~~~~~
At the heart of mature [color=DarkOrchid]femininity
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat May 20, 2006 8:14 pm

I think I must have been too vague with my warning. I apologize. At this point, I need all discussion of evolution be dropped. I fail to see how it has any bearing on this topic, and, even if someone believed it was somehow related, I still need it to stop. Thank you so much.

Note: I've gone ahead and snipped comments accordingly.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Maledicte » Sat May 20, 2006 10:16 pm

Haha, rottentomatoes.com gives the verdict: 18% out of 100% http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/da_vinci_code/

However, the same can't be said from the general public: 76%, constituting a "fresh" movie. I suppose it goes to show how good people think movies have to be.
Maledicte

Postby Linksquest » Sun May 21, 2006 8:26 am

SirThinks2Much wrote:Haha, rottentomatoes.com gives the verdict: 18% out of 100% http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/da_vinci_code/

However, the same can't be said from the general public: 76%, constituting a "fresh" movie. I suppose it goes to show how good people think movies have to be.

WOW... that is actually pretty surprising.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon May 22, 2006 2:17 pm

The current rotten tomato rating is 22% critic, 48% user...

Silent Hill is 27% critic, 45% user... Not that the two are connected, but I think it's funny... Even with it's low rating, it still had a 77 million dollar opening weekend (SH had 25 mil, I believe)

Both of those movies earned half their budgets back in the opening weekend... By the end, SH earned back barely over budget (54 million, but has DVD sales to bring it back) and it's likely Da Vinci will do the same.

[quote="Roger Ebert"]They say The Da Vinci Code has sold more copies than any book since the Bible. Good thing it has a different ending. Dan Brown's novel is utterly preposterous]

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby creed4 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:00 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Very true... so long as they ask instead of assume. It is nice to know that all the apologetics that have been done since the book came out seem to be paying dividends now if the cast and director and author are changing their tones from "The facts are true" to "Hey, don't take it so seriously, it's fiction..."

Maybe thats the good thing, its making us get back to apologetics. I've never like how we seem to abandon it
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Arnobius » Mon May 22, 2006 5:13 pm

It's a pity that it did well enough to make a profit already with the rest of the world included, as http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=davincicode.htm indicates it made over $229m. On the plus side the daily numbers show a decline from day to day after Friday, falling 4.6% on the second day and 22.7% on Sunday. We can always hope for things to get worse for future weekends.
Arnobius

Postby creed4 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:57 pm

Yes that is a pity
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed May 24, 2006 12:26 am

AnimeHeretic wrote:It's a pity that it did well enough to make a profit already with the rest of the world included, as http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=davincicode.htm indicates it made over $229m. On the plus side the daily numbers show a decline from day to day after Friday, falling 4.6% on the second day and 22.7% on Sunday. We can always hope for things to get worse for future weekends.

I've never heard of a movie making more internationally than it does locally... That's... That is unbelieveable... (except maybe something like LotR or Narnia doing well in the US)

I can't believe it did so well in Japan, too... Guess I'll have to know my arguments... I'll have to deal with stuff from this in Japan, too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Orange Kitten » Wed May 24, 2006 3:48 am

Bobtheduck wrote:I've never heard of a movie making more internationally than it does locally...

That happens quite often.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Steeltemplar » Wed May 24, 2006 7:40 am

Apparently, the movie has now been banned in Belarus:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/23/vincicode.belarus.reut/index.html
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby beau99 » Wed May 24, 2006 9:08 am

This is just proof that controversy sells.
beau99

Postby Arnobius » Wed May 24, 2006 9:33 am

beau99 wrote:This is just proof that controversy sells.

Yes it does sell. I recall when The Last Temptation of Christ came out, the critics generally agreed that were it not for the controversy, it would have been considered simply a bad movie and quickly forgotten.

It will be interesting to see how well the film does next weekend. Monday ticket sales fell off by 58.3% but admittedly it is a weekday and sales would be lower. As far as I can tell, the numbers seem to be worse than Revenge of the Sith did last year, but this is pretty new to me tracking this stuff so I can't tell whether this is typical or not.
Arnobius

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed May 24, 2006 9:58 am

Maybe this movie/book can be used for good...like, after watching it with someone, and then telling them the truth. It sounds like it would be a good conversation starter. We Christians have to be on the ball though.

Also, about user ratings vs. critic ratings...you have to remember that there are...well, how can I put this delicately...a lot of people out there that don't know what a good movie is. Most people will just be like, "Oh, it was entertaining" and they'll give a positive rating just based on that. A lot of people don't think critically.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Arnobius » Wed May 24, 2006 11:29 am

ShiroiHikari wrote:Also, about user ratings vs. critic ratings...you have to remember that there are...well, how can I put this delicately...a lot of people out there that don't know what a good movie is. Most people will just be like, "Oh, it was entertaining" and they'll give a positive rating just based on that. A lot of people don't think critically.

True, though on the other hand professional critics also focus on things most of us might never notice unless it was truly bad like the cinematography or lighting etc. I think most forms of art have the people who evaluate something based on what feeling it evokes and people who evaluate how the art was made. I don't think one is necessarily superior to the other. They tend to have different focuses.
Arnobius

Postby Animus Seed » Wed May 24, 2006 12:39 pm

anonymous wrote:...However, the worst of this is what my mom told me yesterday after seeing that movie guide: The movie has already been released in China, and the people there are believing it as the truth about the Bible, Christianity, and everything. Worse, the Christians there are losing faith because of it. There are people there who have stopped believing because of it. ...

You know, I'm not sure I believe that. I mean, the non-Christians, sure, maybe. But the Chinese Christians losing faith over a movie? Persuction and martyrdom is a very real experience over there. With their lives already on the line if they believe the way they do, I can't see a movie making much difference.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed May 24, 2006 1:04 pm

I wouldn't rely on hearsay,which this probably sounds like.
mitsuki lover

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed May 24, 2006 4:49 pm

*D'OH! disregard this comment.
Bobtheduck

Postby Arnobius » Wed May 24, 2006 8:55 pm

Actually I was trying to compare controversy, not content. Maybe I didn't make that clear in my post. LTC was a movie where unfortunately the way the protests were handled provided free publicity to the movie

Unfortunately I have seen LTC about 12 or 13 years ago (so if any of the details seem sketchy, bear with me... it's been awhile) and found the experience unpleasant

As I recall the controversy was not so much of accusation of heresy that was leveled at the movie, but rather blasphemy with the portrayal of Christ being shown doing things that offended many Christians.

There were some issues in the movie that went beyond the "Last Temptation" on the cross itself involving the character of Jesus in the movie. As I recall one of them was that Jesus was refusing to take his role as a prophet and was actively assisting the Romans crucify the prophets God sent by making the crosses the Romans used. The Jesus of that movie was nothing like the Jesus of the Gospels. He was a weak, whiny individual who had the martyr's role thrust on him. It also portrayed him as a sinful man.

Unfortunately similar to the DVC, there were people out there who took it seriously (though not on the scale of DVC). I had a friend who believed, for example, that Jesus had to be human because "God couldn't die" and therefore only a human could make the choice to die for others.

Anyway, that was my experience with Last Temptation
Arnobius

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed May 24, 2006 9:11 pm

ah, then disregard my statement... Guess I should know better than defending a moving I haven't seen... I was under the impression the movie was just about the temptation...
Bobtheduck

Postby Arnobius » Wed May 24, 2006 9:14 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:ah, then disregard my statement... Guess I should know better than defending a moving I haven't seen... I was under the impression the movie was just about the temptation...

No problem. I myself haven't read the book, so perhaps they added unneccesarily graphic stuff for the movie
Arnobius

Postby Animus Seed » Fri May 26, 2006 5:44 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:... I had a friend who believed, for example, that Jesus had to be human because "God couldn't die" and therefore only a human could make the choice to die for others.

Which is kind of a perversion of the truth, in a way... since your friend is right, God can't die, so Jesus needed to be human; but a human's death isn't enough to pay for sin, so Jesus needed to be God. Only if Jesus was 100% human and 100% God could His Death have paid for our sins.

I find it interesting that neo-Gnosticism, of the sort that Brown and the "Jesus Seminar" advocate, claims Jesus was only human and cite the Gnostic "gospels" as their source, while the old Gnostics that are treated as heroes today and wrote those "gospels" in the first place in fact believed that Jesus was only God, and not human at all.
:hits_self Weird.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby rocklobster » Fri May 26, 2006 7:06 pm

:mutter: Unfortunately all the bad reviews didn't stop it from reaching no. 1.
:rant: Once again, we Catholics are reminded that the only acceptable prejudice is anti-Catholocism.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment