Actors who cannot Act

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Actors who cannot Act

Postby Linksquest » Wed May 17, 2006 7:21 pm

Not all actors should be acting. Have you ever seen a show on TV, or a movie and said something like, "Why... are they being paid... to act... when they can't act?"

Who, in your honest opinion, should not be in the acting profession because they cannot act? Name the movie/show and the role they played which made you think so.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed May 17, 2006 7:27 pm

Daniel Dae Kim (aka Jin on Lost) can't speak korean :lol: Because he's an american actor that happens to be korean.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Tarnish » Wed May 17, 2006 7:31 pm

Well, that applies to most actors nowdays, but some that stand out are:

Keanu Reeves!! I cannot STAND the man! And as far as I can tell, the only decent movie he's been in is The Matrix.

Then there's that Dakota Fanning kid. She gets a lot of praise, but ehh...

Lindsay Lohan, Hilary Duff...meh, I could go on...but I won't ^^
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Linksquest » Wed May 17, 2006 7:45 pm

Orenji wrote:Well, that applies to most actors nowdays

ROFL! Now THAT's hilarious Orenji! hahahah
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Technomancer » Wed May 17, 2006 7:50 pm

Keanu Reeves
Richard Geere (He did good job in 'Chicago' because he played someone annoying and smug, which is what he is in every other movie too).
Steven Segall
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby MomoAdachi » Wed May 17, 2006 8:26 pm

I'm going to take a different route and cite classic movie actors and actresses of the past:
-Marilyn Monroe
-Grace Kelly
-Elvis Presley

As for today and the recent past, Jennifer Lopez in everything she was ever in other than "Selena", "The Cell", and "Enough", Jessica Alba except in "Dark Angel" kinda, Arnold Schwarzeneggar(sp?), Natasha Henstridge, uh, Kevin Bacon sometimes.
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Wed May 17, 2006 8:27 pm

I feel tempted to say Hayden Christensen [Anakin in Eps II and III], but that may be mostly because I hate Anakin in those movies.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Wed May 17, 2006 8:36 pm

Well, let's see:

Lindsey Lohan
Debra Messing
Jennifer Lopez
Ben Aflac (Affleck)
Any wrestler-turned-actor (Hulk Hogan, The Rock, etc.)
Sakaki Onsei

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed May 17, 2006 9:54 pm

MSP wrote:Daniel Dae Kim (aka Jin on Lost) can't speak korean
Heeey, I like Jin. Then again, I haven't the slightest clue as to what he's saying, which probably helps.

Alot of times it depends on the material. Haydn Christiansen was pretty bad in Star Wars, but then again, Natalie Portman was really 'meh' as well. And I liked her in Garden State and her other roles.

And 97% of singers turned actors really...shouldn't....act. And vice-versa.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed May 17, 2006 10:01 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:
And 97% of singers turned actors really...shouldn't....act. And vice-versa.

Tis true :/ Not sure if J Lo did music before or after movies (think after?) but one of the more better actresses out of the singers...

Heh it's amusing when actors turn into singers... remember when Paris Hilton made a song? Ok, not really an "actress", but close enough. And with her (and probably all the rest of them) you can so tell that they tweak their voices and use lots of effects to make them sound good^^

Singularily though, I really can't think of any real bad actors offhand :/
Tenshi no Ai

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed May 17, 2006 10:06 pm

Jessica Simpson...totally blonde...XP I mean...the whole buffolo wings commercials...reallly made her look stupid..

Oh and Justin Timberlake and Eminiem...XP
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Maledicte » Wed May 17, 2006 10:57 pm

Keanu Reeves (bahaha Pablo Francisco) and Owen Wilson. I cannot stand the man.
Maledicte

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed May 17, 2006 11:22 pm

The thing about Acting is, while there are SOME objective qualities to it, once you get to a certain point of proficiency, it's a matter of opinion. I happen to think a number of movies have great acting that many people would deny... People will deny the acting is good if the person doesn't act like they would in a situation, or like people they know would act... Fact is, what's natural for some people seems like bad acting to someone detatched from the situation...

That being said, I can't stand Elijah Wood... I think he's absolutely horrid in everything except The Good Son Then, in sin city, he doesn't have much of a speaking role, so it's hard for him to be that bad, considering the surreal and comic book-ish nature of the movie... The acting in that one just wouldn't fit any "normal" movie, but it fit that style just fine... So, I still don't think he can act...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu May 18, 2006 12:09 am

The entire cast of the first Resident Evil. (Game) Can't find much worse than that.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Sai » Thu May 18, 2006 8:33 am

I agree with the Hayden Christensen nomination. I can't think of any others offhand.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu May 18, 2006 12:30 pm

Most anyone who was a pro athelete or in any other line of work before taking up
acting.Very few of them can actually act.
mitsuki lover

Postby rocklobster » Thu May 18, 2006 5:23 pm

George Clooney totally ruined Batman. I haven't forgiven him since.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Scarecrow » Thu May 18, 2006 7:43 pm

Paul Walker from like Fast and the Furious and Into the Blue... The most wooden actor in Hollywood. Yes he beats Keanu IMO.

"Yo bro, so whats up? Ok so heres whats gonna happen"... say that as plainly as you possibly can with the most stereortypical Southern CA accent you can come with trying to sound cool and you'll have somewhat of an idea of what hes like IN EVERY SINGLE MOVIE.

Speaking of Into the Blue... Jessica Alba... She was decent in Sin City but in stuff like Fantastic Four 4 and Honey she was pretty bad. No where near PWs level of blandness but anyway. Cant think of any actress worse than her atm.

But she is hot :D
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby MomoAdachi » Thu May 18, 2006 7:47 pm

I think Jess was good in the TV show Dark Angel, but that's it. I mean, I can't think of a better person to play Max Guevara, as Max-chan was supposed to be kind of cold and monotonous, just like Jessica is when she's acting.
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby Orange Kitten » Fri May 19, 2006 2:23 am

A possible reason is attitude. I'd hire an actor who wasn't so great over a great actor if he had a great personality (and the other didn't).

Having positive attitudes and enthusiasm on the set is a must, and if you don't, then your shoot will suffer (and your film).

But of course, I'd try to find the actor who is both great and fun around.

Hopefully if I get big enough I can deny certain people like Edward Norton and Halle Berry lol; jerks who demand extra lines/coverage for themselves because they're prima donnas.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby bigsleepj » Fri May 19, 2006 2:29 am

rocklobster wrote:George Clooney totally ruined Batman. I haven't forgiven him since.

George CLooney is a good actor and he's proven his worth many times over, but ultimately I think the fault should lie with Joel Schumacher for directing it so badly - a good actor is worth nothing if the director makes terrible decisions.
bigsleepj

Postby Mega.EXE » Fri May 19, 2006 10:39 am

Hilary Duff don't even get me started on her :shake:
Mega.EXE

Postby Mithrandir » Fri May 19, 2006 10:51 am

ChristianRonin wrote:Jessica Simpson...totally blonde...XP I mean...the whole buffolo wings commercials...reallly made her look stupid..

Out of curiosity, if you met her in real life and discovered she was actually an intelligent individual, would it change your opinion?

Occaionally, actors who play morons are actually fairly good actors (What's Eating Gilbert Grape, anyone? - not that I'm saying LDC is the pennicle of acting).
Mithrandir

Postby bigsleepj » Fri May 19, 2006 1:15 pm

Mithrandir wrote:Occaionally, actors who play morons are actually fairly good actors (What's Eating Gilbert Grape, anyone? - not that I'm saying LDC is the pennicle of acting).

Well, he was a horrible actor in "Titanic" and some other movies yet in "The Aviator" DiCaprio gave one of the best performances I've seen.
bigsleepj

Postby Orange Kitten » Fri May 19, 2006 3:58 pm

bigsleepj wrote:Well, he was a horrible actor in "Titanic" and some other movies yet in "The Aviator" DiCaprio gave one of the best performances I've seen.

I don't think he was that bad in Titanic; if anything Kate Winslett was the worse of the two.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby K. Ayato » Fri May 19, 2006 4:18 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio. Ok, let me clarify. He can act, but the good parts in any movie he's been in don't last long enough through the whole thing. I think the only role he did where I was impressed at his performance was in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? 'cause he played a younger brother who was mentally retarded, and was very convincing.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby K. Ayato » Fri May 19, 2006 4:19 pm

bigsleepj wrote:George CLooney is a good actor and he's proven his worth many times over, but ultimately I think the fault should lie with Joel Schumacher for directing it so badly - a good actor is worth nothing if the director makes terrible decisions.

He's TOO SHORT to be Batman!!!
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby BigZam » Fri May 19, 2006 4:32 pm

Chuck. Norris.

that's all i have to say on this subject.
gone for good...
BigZam

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri May 19, 2006 5:06 pm

BigZam wrote:Chuck. Norris.

that's all i have to say on this subject.

because he was found dead from roundhouse kick injury only seconds after posting this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri May 19, 2006 5:19 pm

Orlando Bloom. *shot by rabid fangirls*
Azier the Swordsman

Next

Return to General Entertainment