Recomend me your favorite martial art movies?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Recomend me your favorite martial art movies?

Postby The Last Bard » Wed May 10, 2006 9:19 pm

I'm looking to buy some traditional Hong Kong martial art movies. I enjoy most all of them as long as they have either good fight scenes or a good story.
I'm looking for some that are not as well known, and some that are well known.
But I would like them if they aren't very recent. Like in the 21st century...?

And they can be about samurai, monks, ect.

I have most of Jackie Chan's movies, so I'm looking for something else.

Thanks!
The Last Bard

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu May 11, 2006 12:10 am

Shaolin Temple - It's a very early Jet Lee one. I really enjoyed it. Plus it's quite funny at times. Not a movie, but the tv series Monkey is brilliantly cheesy and full of fight scenes.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby mechana2015 » Thu May 11, 2006 2:06 am

Unleashed. Brutal combat, and (IMHO) good story.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Steeltemplar » Thu May 11, 2006 5:52 am

The Korean movie Fighter In The Wind (Baramui Fighter in Korea). It is about Choi Bae-dal (Masutatsu Oyama), the founder of Kyukushin Karate. Incredible cinematics and realistic action. IIRC, it was pretty clean. One sex scene which I do not recall any nudity in (but it has been awhile).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby DrNic » Thu May 11, 2006 6:58 am

Easy - Once Upon a Time in China 1, 2 and 3. Jet Li at his best! Iron Monkey is good too, starring Donny Yen (The samurai guy from Blade 2, he's also in OUaTiC 2).
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby Sai » Thu May 11, 2006 7:43 am

The Karate KID!!! Just kidding. I have only really watched jackie chan martial arts movies soo can't help ya here. I have a youth leader that keeps suggesting Bruce Lee, but I haven't gotten around to watching any of his movies.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu May 11, 2006 8:05 am

1. Drunken Master II (Jackie Chan)
2. Once Upon A Time In China (Jet Li)
3. Ong Bak (Tony Jaa - Muay Thai style - carrying on the "no stunt doubles" tradition!)
Sammy Boy

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu May 11, 2006 8:07 am

HERO = awesome

new jet lee movie
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu May 11, 2006 2:59 pm

The Karate Kid 1, 2, and 3.

Just kidding. XD If it can be considered martial arts, I love Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2. Funny stuff (though the content can be harsh for some)!

EDIT: I just realized that you said the movie could be about samurai in your post. XD; So, in that case, The Last Samurai is DEFINITELY my favorite (favorite movie in general, really). It has a fantastic story and plot, wonderful acting (in spite of Tom Cruise :lol: ), great character development, and it seems quite realistic. The fight scenes are incredibly well done (violent, though, but it IS a samurai movie, after all. XD), and the quieter, more character-based scenes are done well, too. It's a wonderful movie, I definitely reccommend it if you haven't seen it! *a little language and lots of blood, though. At least two rolling heads, that I can remember. XD;*
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu May 11, 2006 3:10 pm

I love the Karate Kid part 2. Have you seen "Ong Bok" It's about a Thai fighter and I heard it was pretty good. I never seen it, but it would be one that I wouldn't have to read the subtitles for (lol).
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby The Last Bard » Thu May 11, 2006 10:17 pm

Thanks a lot for all the ideas! I'm probably going to order Once Upon a Time in China 1, 2, 3, Iron Monkey, and Ong Bak sometime this week.

The Rush Hour movies are great! And so is The Last Samurai. Actually, it's in my top ten list...And so is Drunken Master (2000 remake) AWESOME movie!

Thanks again, and feel free to post if you come up with any others!
The Last Bard

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri May 12, 2006 3:24 am

I also thought Jackie Chan's "Rumble in the Bronx" was pretty good. That stunt he did on the carpark roofttop was amazing (translation: suicidal).

Sao_Sakura wrote:Have you seen "Ong Bok" It's about a Thai fighter and I heard it was pretty good.

Ong Bak is about a Thai villager who goes to the big city Bangkok to get the head of the Buddha statue that belongs to their village back, because a former villager stole it to sell it for money.

Anyway, the plot is rather simple, but some of the stunts are incredible (unbelievable until you have seen it with your own eyes) and the action is awesome.

There is this part where he does a kick, and then ... :)
Sammy Boy

Postby GundamGeek » Fri May 12, 2006 10:21 am

You might enjoy Kung Fu Hustle. The very beginning is rather rough in both language and violence, but after the first 5 minutes is over it gets much tamer. And it's funny. And even touching in a few spots. Plus it has some really great old-school fight scenes. I think you'll like it.

"Not all those who wander are lost." -- Strider/Tolkien
GundamGeek

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri May 12, 2006 10:50 am

The One, starring Jet Li, was enjoyable.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby kaji » Fri May 12, 2006 11:05 am

Easy - Once Upon a Time in China 1, 2 and 3. Jet Li at his best!
Yep, you got that right!

I also agree with ultra Magnus in that The Legend of Drunken Master is also a great choice. Fun, funny, cool fight scenes and lots of them. Just dont get it confused with the older Drunken Master (which is ok, but not as good). Go Jakie Chan! ^_^
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Postby gungrave » Sat May 13, 2006 7:01 pm

Oh my GOSH!!! I cant believe no one said The god(notice SMALL g) of martial arts...
BRUCE LEE!!!!! I may be 15, but I have seen ALOT of his movies... he was awesome*sniffle* but Ong Bok and Once Upon A Time In China are really good
but if ya go bruce lee, Enter The Dragon or The Chinese Connection(if I remember has nudity... or is that The Fist Of Legend?)

EDIT: And Meltdown with Jet Li is pretty awesome... he is like runner up to the late Brucy boy.... but Unleashed had Very intense violence(not a prob) and alot of hooker activity(if ya havnt seen it already.. im sorry I did)
You find that you have a weapon, an instrument that
will give you power over the wind and sea.
In one word, you can stop time. It is a weapon
so powerful that even God will bow
down to you and all his angels fall at your feet.
What would you do with it?

Adopted: Jack Bond
Adopted: Mega
Adopted By: Black Rose Misao
Adopted By: GrubbTheFragger

then I will be all over those games like white on a paper plate with a styrofoam cup filled with milk in the north pole during a snow storm ---iscryed4u which is my AIM screen name so, I said it XD
Felix wrote:And gungrave, XD I am sure you look quite the man-beast in a suit.

\m/ >,< \m/<-----if u listen to anti hip-hop music Aka metal or just hard rock put this in ur profile and represent

JonathOn !!El perro esta en fuego!!
C.R.A.P. leader
:thumb:
---GamerTag: HxS L3TH4L
gungrave

Postby Maledicte » Sat May 13, 2006 11:24 pm

gungrave wrote:Oh my GOSH!!! I cant believe no one said The god(notice SMALL g) of martial arts...
BRUCE LEE!!!!! I may be 15, but I have seen ALOT of his movies... he was awesome*sniffle* but Ong Bok and Once Upon A Time In China are really good
but if ya go bruce lee, Enter The Dragon or The Chinese Connection(if I remember has nudity... or is that The Fist Of Legend?)

I was about to recommend those. Enter the Dragon has some nudity, Chinese Connection has none. Return of the Dragon has Chuck Norris in it. Skip Fists of Fury, it's lame and has pointless nudity. Game of Death has the awesome fight at the end, but before that it's pretty boring.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee story is good too.
Maledicte

Postby JadePanther » Sun May 14, 2006 12:34 am

If you've seen Kung Fu Hustle, then you'll love Shaolin Soccer, Stephan Crow's first big hit.

I, myself, recommend any and all Jakcie Chan movies you can get your hands on.

My favorite? "Gorgeous" ...Don't know why, but thought it was very artistically done.
As vast as the world around you may seem, in actuality, it's a very small place.
The limits of your experiences, the sphere that's within your reach, Ultimately defines limits of your understanding.
The world as you know is not reality.
That is a world you have created yourself.

Yuuko - xxxHolic

:?: Lost: 18+ year old female. Interests include Anime, being a Christian, and hooking up with me.
:grin:
JadePanther

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun May 14, 2006 4:53 am

Gorgeous? Was that the Australian one? I myself enjoyed Jackie Chan's Who Am I? the most of his.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:55 am

Steeltemplar wrote:The Korean movie Fighter In The Wind (Baramui Fighter in Korea). It is about Choi Bae-dal (Masutatsu Oyama), the founder of Kyukushin Karate. Incredible cinematics and realistic action. IIRC, it was pretty clean. One sex scene which I do not recall any nudity in (but it has been awhile).

Heck yeah. Fighter in the wind was freaken good.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:05 am

gungrave - hey I thought Bruce Lee's one was "Fist of Fury" and Jet Li's remake of that was "Fist of Legend"?
Sammy Boy

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:42 am

Enter the Dragon (You're gonna want to skip a scene)

The Last Samurai

Kurosawa Akira's Seven Samurai [Shichinin no Samurai] (I haven't seen this one, but I have Samurai 7, an anime series based of this movie and everyone says it's awsome.)

Unleashed (Again skip a scene, but I saw the "unrated" one with all the extended scene stuff)

Bullet Proof Monk (Was okay and funny. A lot of people I know like it.)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:03 am

Oh yeah, and about Fighter in the Wind. Basically it's got a lot of Korean vs Japan stuff. (This is during WWII) So that makes it way more interesting. There are times which Koreans are forced to speak in Japanese and such.

There was a cool scene where a dude exploded, and some of the guys flesh got on some other Korean dude, and he starts freaking out. Kind of like the "Dude, you got some Artz on you" from Lost.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Animus Seed » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:39 am

Hero-- it's not about the story, it's about the storytelling. Really, all this movie is about is 2 guys sitting in a room. Mr. A says, "here's what happened." Mr. B says, "I think you're lying, it was like this." A says, "I was lying, here's what really happened." Mr. B says, "Why would that happen?" Mr. A says, "Because 3 years ago this happened." Doesn't matter. The movie's awesome. Absolutely awesome.

House of Flying Daggers has some cool, uh, flying dagger effects.

Kung Fu Hustle-- hilarious, but not a parody by any means. A truly good MA film.

Fearless-- Jet Li's final MA film, supposedly. I've only seen the first half (imported Chinese DVD) but it was great.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Return to General Entertainment