Original Star Wars to come on DVD

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Original Star Wars to come on DVD

Postby Arnobius » Thu May 04, 2006 1:45 pm

Looks like we'll be getting the original Trilogy as shown in the theaters

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12633396/

How many of you bought the "edited" versions and want to lynch George Lucas for bringing it out NOW...?
Arnobius

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu May 04, 2006 2:22 pm

Waaaagh! I WANT THESE! I shall have them eventually, looks like. Although, you have to buy them individually? Lame.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu May 04, 2006 2:26 pm

They sold the DVDs as actual edits? Or more just these are the directors cuts that theatres aired? *scratches head* Only seen the trilogy through once a while ago, and I haven't even heard of this^^ I just know that the special editions come with more cleaned up and kicked-up graphics.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu May 04, 2006 2:28 pm

Several years ago I recieved all of the movies in a collectors set on VHS as a gift and I remember feeling so dissapointed when I discovered that the films didn't have any of the fancy-pants digital tweaking. Yup, I had the original vaseline-on-the-lens-to-hide-the-support-rig version.

And then Episode 1 came out, and I realized that digital effects aren't everything. And *then* Lucas went through his whole do-not-speak-of-the-original-versions-because-they-are-dead-to-me phase, and I became very possessive of my set.

*sighs* Now it doesn't seem so special anymore, and I guess there's the whole 'it's on VHS' issue 9_9
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Linksquest » Thu May 04, 2006 2:29 pm

That looks like a really good move on Lucas' part. He actually listens to the fans? Since when do filmakers or producers do that? :lol: Yay! MSP will want this, and We may be getting this too.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Arnobius » Thu May 04, 2006 4:03 pm

Linksquest wrote:That looks like a really good move on Lucas' part. He actually listens to the fans? Since when do filmakers or producers do that? :lol: Yay! MSP will want this, and We may be getting this too.

Yes he listens to fans... 2 years after he said the original will never see the light of day again. Maybe I'm cynical, but I think it's the realization of how he can make more money out of this
Arnobius

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu May 04, 2006 5:13 pm

*has the originals on VHS, no need to get DVDs of them AND DVDs of the SE*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Star Wars fans rejoice!

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu May 04, 2006 6:39 pm

Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ClosetOtaku » Thu May 04, 2006 6:53 pm

Harrumph. It's about [expletive expletive] time. Lucas has revised and re-edited the first trilogy from its original brilliance down to what is perhaps his true level of directing -- full of trite cliches and lacking any sort of edge -- maybe to match the pablem of the second, entirely forgettable, trilogy. I will trust that LucasFilm is true to its word only after I see the first (oh, excuse me, Episode IV) movie, devoid of Jabba the Hut and with Han pulling the trigger first.

But, yeah, hip hip hooray.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Stephen » Thu May 04, 2006 7:00 pm

Holy Double dipping Batman. Figures they would release this *after* I bought the new boxset they did. I think Lucas needs to fall into a hole somewhere now. >.<
Stephen

Postby Arnobius » Thu May 04, 2006 7:14 pm

And the multiple thread trend continues.

But yes, I passed on the other version but may get this one
Arnobius

Postby Arnobius » Thu May 04, 2006 7:21 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:*has the originals on VHS, no need to get DVDs of them AND DVDs of the SE*

If it's that special boxed set on VHS, yesterday would have been a good day to eBay them I guess
Arnobius

Postby creed4 » Thu May 04, 2006 7:25 pm

already own the dvd of se, can't afore to rebuy
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Link Antilles » Thu May 04, 2006 8:17 pm

AnimeHeretic's and Mr. SmartyPants' threads merged.

There is only one reason why I'd want this version... that is, when I have kids, they'll know Han was a MAN and shot Greedo first! Booyah!
Link Antilles

Postby Arnobius » Thu May 04, 2006 8:24 pm

Link Antilles wrote:There is only one reason why I'd want this version... that is, when I have kids, they'll know Han was a MAN and shot Greedo first! Booyah!

That was one of Lucas' biggest mistakes... alongside Episode 1
But we'll get Lapti Nek and Yub Nub and all the other cheezy things he did on Jedi. Maybe see the shoe and other jokes, and the twilek wardrobe malfunction... man, no wonder Lucas wanted to edit the crap out of it
Arnobius

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu May 04, 2006 8:30 pm

Linksquest wrote:That looks like a really good move on Lucas' part. He actually listens to the fans? Since when do filmakers or producers do that? :lol: Yay! MSP will want this, and We may be getting this too.

It's just a marketing ploy. He wants moolah moolah
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Link Antilles » Thu May 04, 2006 8:32 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:That was one of Lucas' biggest mistakes... alongside Episode 1

Oh most certainly, I remember watching one of those documentaries where he was defending it... "Han had a lovinghappySamuraiCowboyblahblah code of honor". Man, if I was in the room then, I'd turbo-laser slap him upside the head. -Of course, not to hurt him, but to knock some freaking sense into him.

If only I had a time machine... *falls into a dream sequence*
Link Antilles

Postby Arnobius » Thu May 04, 2006 8:41 pm

Link Antilles wrote:Oh most certainly, I remember watching one of those documentaries where he was defending it... "Han had a lovinghappySamuraiCowboyblahblah code of honor". Man, if I was in the room then, I'd turbo-laser slap him upside the head. -Of course, not to hurt him, but to knock some freaking sense into him.

If only I had a time machine... *falls into a dream sequence*

Yeah... that sounds like "Making it up as you go along. He was a petty thug who got caught up in the cause
Arnobius

Postby bigsleepj » Thu May 04, 2006 11:57 pm

I don't really care if it is a marketing ploy, I'm buying! I'm buying!! YOU CAN'T STOP ME!!!!! YOU CAN'T STOP ME!!! GNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
bigsleepj

Postby Maledicte » Sat May 06, 2006 12:21 am

Bah hah hah I own the VHS set. No more weird extra Sarlacc mouth, and we still get to see the stormtrooper bump his head and hear Luke shout "Carrie!"
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat May 06, 2006 12:50 am

I don't mind the Special Edition, actually I prefer them - except how the more graphic blaster fire was 'censored' from the original (I wanted that back in).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Sat May 06, 2006 12:50 am

Luke shout "Carrie"? I'll have to watch for that.
bigsleepj

Postby termyt » Sat May 06, 2006 6:27 am

bigsleepj wrote:I don't really care if it is a marketing ploy, I'm buying! I'm buying!! YOU CAN'T STOP ME!!!!! YOU CAN'T STOP ME!!! GNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

My sentiments exactly. I've cherished my very old VHS tapes, which are probably in very poor condition now, of the originals. I will watch them in their original form much more often then their doctored form.

Lucas probably is allowing their release due to fan backlash. If he is, well then good for him. Disney could learn a lesson from him. Baby Boomers would also pay to see the original Mickey Mouse Club released on DVD. It would make them happy, and if you can make money at the same time, good for you.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby battletech » Sat May 06, 2006 7:41 am

Why the crap would anyone want them. I just do not get it.
Give me the doctored up version with better picture, 5.1 surround and eddits that
make all six movies come together.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat May 06, 2006 8:36 am

I want them because the original versions will help me forget there was ever a second trilogy at all. Also, for nostalgia purposes. Some of the SE edits were cool-- like the improved special effects during the Battle of Yavin in the first movie. Some of them, like Han not shooting first, were lame. It's not that I adamantly hate the SE, I just want the originals too.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat May 06, 2006 10:57 am

I want this so bad!

We have the the DVD set but my parents bought it in full screen anyway.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Nate » Sat May 06, 2006 10:58 am

battletech wrote:Why the crap would anyone want them. I just do not get it.

Because I don't want to see Hayden Christensen at the end of Return of the Jedi seeing as how HE WAS TWO YEARS OLD WHEN THE MOVIE WAS RELEASED. Also, because HAN SHOT FIRST. You didn't know George Lucas edited the original movie so that Greedo shot first in the SE?

I like the new effects, I like the new sound, but changing the storyline is not cool. That's why I want the originals instead of the SEs.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby battletech » Sat May 06, 2006 8:49 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Because I don't want to see Hayden Christensen at the end of Return of the Jedi seeing as how HE WAS TWO YEARS OLD WHEN THE MOVIE WAS RELEASED. Also, because HAN SHOT FIRST. You didn't know George Lucas edited the original movie so that Greedo shot first in the SE?

I like the new effects, I like the new sound, but changing the storyline is not cool. That's why I want the originals instead of the SEs.

1. I thought it was very cool to see Hayden Christensen PLAYING AS ANAKIN at the end of Return of the Jedi. Star Wars is fictional. Hayden Christensen is a actor playing as the fictional character Anakin. It does not matter what age the actor was when it first came out. What matters is that it fits into the FICTIONAL storyline.

2. A few minor changes does not change the complete storyline.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 06, 2006 9:09 pm

battletech wrote:1. I thought it was very cool to see Hayden Christensen PLAYING AS ANAKIN at the end of Return of the Jedi. Star Wars is fictional. Hayden Christensen is a actor playing as the fictional character Anakin. It does not matter what age the actor was when it first came out. What matters is that it fits into the FICTIONAL storyline.

2. A few minor changes does not change the complete storyline.

actually the Prequels essentially threw out all the continuity, and that edit cost Lucas a lot of credibility. It was on par with Spielberg's changing shotguns into walkie talkies in ET

a bad edit changes the whole tone of the movie.

The edited "Jedi" was lame with the edit to the sarlaac pit for example... the stalk coming out instead of the ant-lion type creature and all the other edits that made no real point...
Arnobius

Postby Maledicte » Sat May 06, 2006 11:50 pm

bigsleepj wrote:Luke shout "Carrie"? I'll have to watch for that.

First movie, after blowing up the first Death Star. He climbs out of the fighter, Leia runs and says "LUKE!" and he shouts "CARRIE!" and they hug. I swear it's the funniest thing.

(although I don't know if they editted that in the SE.)
Maledicte

Next

Return to General Entertainment