The Village.

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Village.

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:42 pm

"I think I can say, without reservation of any kind, that The Village is my favorite movie of all time, bar none. And when I say “bar noneâ€
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Alice » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:22 pm

I saw this movie recently on DVD with my brother, and it had us spellbound. We were only going to watch half of it because it was late, but we stayed up and watched the whole thing.

I think it's a wonderful movie. :D
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Godly Paladin » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:05 pm

Yay! :jump:
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby TrigunX89 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:58 pm

This was on the 2nd page, so I guess it's not gravedigging. ^_^

I think that The Village, as well as all of M Night Shyamalan's other movies, are wonderful. Signs is still my favorite, probably since it was the first one I saw. I also enjoyed the Village, and I'm glad to hear more people liked it. I went to see it with a bunch of friends, and they all hated it. I mean, they despised it. I don't think they understood the ending. -_-

I on the other hand, think M Night is a brilliant writer/director, and he did a great job on this film! He brought back the huge plot-twisting surprise ending like we've seen in the Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, and I thought it was great. :thumb:
TrigunX89

Postby Cedahlia » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:54 pm

The Village is my favorite movie as well. =D

It was absolutely amazing, with a wonderful twist. I was angry when it didn't get better reviews.
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:26 pm

Though it might not be one of my top favorite movies, I loved it none the less. Not only is the plot and storyline just incredibly amazing but the entire movie has some excellent quotes. Not quotes that you say to your friends and they laugh. But quotes that mean something to you and are so artistically written that it's almost like poetry. Heck it is poetry.

"Why can you not stop saying what is in yours? Why must you lead, when I want to lead? If I want to dance I will ask you to dance. If I want to speak I will open my mouth and speak. Everyone is forever plaguing me to speak further. Why? What good is it to tell you you are in my every thought from the time I wake? What good can come from my saying that I sometimes cannot think clearly or do my work properly? What gain can rise of my telling you the only time I feel fear as others do is when I think of you in harm? That is why I am on this porch, Ivy Walker. I fear for your safety before all others. And yes, I will dance with you on our wedding night."
Hitokiri

Postby TrigunX89 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:11 pm

Wow. I forgot about all that. Very good stuff indeed. Man, I need to watch this movie again...
TrigunX89

Postby Godly Paladin » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:01 am

That was an excellent scene, Hitokiri. And how about Kitty proposing to Lucious?

"I love you, Lucius. I love you like the day is long! I love you more than the sun and the moon together! And if you feel the same way, then we should not hide it any longer. It's a gift, love is. We should be thankful! We should bellow it out with all the breath in our lungs! Thank you! Thank you!!! THANK YOU!!!"

It was absolutely amazing, with a wonderful twist. I was angry when it didn't get better reviews.

Yeah, that ticked me off, too. People just don't appreciate excellence anymore.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:27 am

I've only seen it now, but I thought it was a very good movie. Unfortunately I saw the era twist very early on (just had the thought that they were like an Amish society and may be avoiding the modern world). Still it was good.
I thought the monster designs were interesting (reminded me of Skesis from the Dark Crystal).

I was disappointed to start off with since it seemed to be marketed as a horror, but once I got past that I really enjoyed it. Very little offensive stuff in it. No sex, language and a little blood. Pretty decent acting too. I may have to watch it again to get all the nuances though. It did have a similar premise to part of Thr3e by Ted Dekker. I was quite disappointed in the ending, should have been more clean cut, but I still think it was a worthy effort. Pity it got panned by critics.

I'm confused as to why it was rated M15+ for medium level violence (there was only a stabbing).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:48 am

Ugh. I'm most likely going to be the sole voice of dissent, but here goes.

I saw it Sunday evening for the first time. This is utterly one of the most pointless movies I've seen in my life. Unlike M Night Shayamalan's other movies (Signs, Unbreakable, Sixth Sense) this movie was terribly written, which because of bad writing caused a lot of good actors to act badly, causing the movie to be badly directed. Also ultimately it was too silly to hold any dramatic weight for me. And many of the scenes on themselves made no sense. It's 'twist' about the creatures came too early, making the whole movie directionless. And the end parts are too contrived.

I'm sorry, but M Night has made better movies. This movie had potential, but its just amateurish compared to his other movies.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:50 am

I didn't really like Signs or Sixth Sense all that much, but maybe I'm just sick of seeing Mel Gibson and Bruce Willis. I didn't think the acting was bad at all.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby glitch1501 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:33 am

i loved this movie, i encourage you to get the sound track, its SOOOOOO good :) i also loved the acting, me and my room mate watch it all the time

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:46 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I didn't think the acting was bad at all.

The characters' performances weren't bad in the normal sense of the word, its just that none of their performances felt like they were real. At least to me.
bigsleepj

Postby Pent » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:54 am

I think the twist was to obvious and the movie nothing speshle. But I guess it was good none the less. Not as good as signs or the 6th sense, but on par with Unbreakable in my mind. (Although I think Unbreakable's twist was second best of the four).
Pent

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:08 am

Unbreakable was an intriguing movie and had a good twist, but it had no real ending and came to a stop too suddenly.
bigsleepj

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:26 pm

I saw that movie a while back. While it's not my favorite, I was very impressed when I saw it. The beginning twist I knew, of course, but the ending caught me off guard. I thought the acting was great, and the cinematography and music was particularly well-done.
Signs is defintately more 'scary' than The Village, though.
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Godly Paladin » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:23 pm

When you guys refer to the 'twist', are your talking about the...

[SPOILER] monsters not being real [/SPOILER]

or the...

[SPOILER] village being modern-day? [/SPOILER]

The first one wasn't that big a deal for me. It was the second one that blew us all away.

And yeah, the soundtrack is wonderful. :Grin:
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:49 pm

Both, I think. But when I talk about the twist I was impressed by, I'm referring to [spoiler]the village actually being set in the modern day. I thought it was cool because it's something I wouldn't've thought of.[/spoiler]
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:21 am

bigsleepJ wrote:Unbreakable was an intriguing movie and had a good twist, but it had no real ending and came to a stop too suddenly.

Yes another fan of unbreakable. Anyways i saw this Movie way back when it came out in the theaters and i was pretty unimpressed by the fact it was called a horror movie by some. It wasn't freaky. But then when that twist hit O.O it was amazing i didn't see it coming.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:42 pm

I knew about the "twist" before it happened. I'm gonna have to not read up on M Night Shamalyan movies anymore... And tell people who watched them to shut up about them... That would have been a nice twist to experience in the movie, but I had it spoiled for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Return to General Entertainment