Ultimate Avengers

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Ultimate Avengers

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:49 pm

I doubt anyone else but me saw this, but I decided to throw up a thread anyway. Last night after Naruto, they showed a movie on CN called Ultimate Avengers. It was a great movie, I thought. It was kinda cool seeing Thor hold his own against the Hulk.

Anyway, did anyone else see this but me?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tommy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:03 pm

I saw the beginning.

Would`ve rocked in live action.
Tommy

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:22 pm

from what i've seen it was actually pretty good. i haven't seen much tho but i am most likely gonna rent or buy it soon.

tom wrote:Would`ve rocked in live action.

no, would be corny in live action :grin:
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:32 pm

Once I realized this was a new animated film based on the Ultimate Avengers comics (as opposed to an old, cheesy film), it really moved rather high on my list of viewing priorities. Fortunately, last Saturday wasn't too busy for me.

I liked it overall and I was impressed by the animation at some points. It was interesting to see what they decided to keep from the comic version and how they compressed the plot into the length of the film. This worked fairly well most of the time. The creators' willingness to not have a "boss" alien appear after the Hulk was defeated was good; not all conflicts end that simply and often the consequences of choices extend beyond them.

Also, though it was repeated a bit too much between commercial breaks, I did like the line: "Any questions? ... Any questions not about the Hulk?"
uc pseudonym

Postby Tommy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:28 pm

GrubbTheFragger wrote:from what i've seen it was actually pretty good. i haven't seen much tho but i am most likely gonna rent or buy it soon.

no, would be corny in live action :grin:

It was corny anyways.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:55 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Also, though it was repeated a bit too much between commercial breaks, I did like the line: "Any questions? ... Any questions not about the Hulk?"

Yeah, I loved that line, but they really did overplay it during the commercial breaks.

I also fail to see how this movie was corny. Aside from the joke about "the chick with the hair" that Giant Man made.

Nate

Postby Tommy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:00 pm

Watch the opening seen again.
Tommy

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:05 pm

The opening scene? How was that corny? Radio broadcasts actually did sound like that back in WWII. And I fail to see anything corny about paratroopers getting gunned down by Nazis.

Nate

Postby Tommy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:09 pm

The way they handled Captain America as a solider.
Tommy

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:13 pm

I fail to see how that was corny either. Steve Rogers was a frail volunteer who underwent months of steroid treatment, surgery, and the Super-Soldier formula to become Captain America. Bucky was a childhood friend who followed him on his missions as a photographer and not a costumed sidekick. Rogers' last mission as Captain America sent him deep into Nazi Germany to stop a prototype hydrogen bomb created with alien technology.

How is steroid treatment and fighting Nazis corny?

Nate

Postby ashfire » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:18 pm

In some way Captain America looked like G.I. Joe. I guess the two were done by the same company.
I was surprised that the DVD just came out and then CN shows it.
ashfire

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:21 am

Wasn't that always Captain America's backstory? I'm not an expert on that realm of comics, but I remember a variety of permutations of him that had very similar circumstances. And yes, though not gory that battle wasn't really cheesy. Though I do wonder why those soldiers on the ground weren't affected by the fallout...

Still, I would say this film was far from corny. This wasn't the type of thing in which the villains only fight the heroes or everyone jumps out of their vehicles before they explode... people died. A lot.

kaemmerite wrote:Aside from the joke about "the chick with the hair" that Giant Man made.

I also liked the fact that they leave it open to interpretation if Thor is really just nuts. I can't remember exactly how the comics handled this aspect, but I thought the movie's portrayal worked fairly well.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tommy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:40 am

Kaemmerite, I`m not going to argue with you about this movie anymore.

YOU fail to see how they made World War II Nazis aliens and had Captain America fight as a soldier with an freaking constume on.

I found that corny.
You didn`t.

Matter of opinion.

You apparently just took that movie more seriously than me.
Tommy

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:09 am

All I can say is I came home from Georgia, I was wicked excited to see Bo-Bobo. So I turn on the T.V. at 9:30 to play video games, and I saw this on CN: "We have a secret weapon like the Nazis Captain Amerreica." Then I cried. (not really.)
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby creed4 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:11 am

I liked it, very good
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Nate » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:58 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Wasn't that always Captain America's backstory? I'm not an expert on that realm of comics, but I remember a variety of permutations of him that had very similar circumstances.

Well, the regular Marvel Universe Captain America went though some changes here and there, but this is based on the "Ultimate Marvel" Universe, and according to wikipedia the movie's origin story is pretty much dead on.

I also liked the fact that they leave it open to interpretation if Thor is really just nuts. I can't remember exactly how the comics handled this aspect, but I thought the movie's portrayal worked fairly well.

In the regular Marvel Universe, Thor is indeed the Norse god of legend, though there was some weird stuff going on in the early days of the comic. He had become arrogant, and Odin placed him in a mortal body of a crippled medical student named Donald Blake. Whenever Blake tapped his cane (actually Mjolnir), he turned into Thor. However, he has now been freed from Blake and is Thor full-time.

However, in the Ultimate Marvel Universe, unlike the Marvel Universe Thor, his godhood was deliberately kept in doubt, with contradictory clues that he was both who he claimed and that he was simply a powerful lunatic spread throughout his appearances.

Oddly, his beard was removed for the cartoon...

Nate

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:03 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Oddly, his beard was removed for the cartoon...

Fanservice for the girls?

Well, I unforunately didn't catch the entire thing, but I really enjoyed waht I saw of it. I heard Marvel is going to do more of these.

To be honest, I didn't like the art style a lot. The background art and animation were both really good, but the art style itself is mostly the same as every Marvel cartoon from the 80s and 90s. And no, it has nothing to do with "anime" art.

I would like to see the art style reflect more some of the really neat art in the comics, though I can imagine that'd be hard to animate.

Overall I really enjoyed this, and I can't wait to see more of these.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Nate » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:13 pm

Joshua Christopher wrote:I heard Marvel is going to do more of these.

Yes, I heard a sequel is in the works, and apparently Hawkeye will be introduced in it. Maybe they'll throw in Vision as well.

Nate

Postby SnowLeopard » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:23 pm

I haven't seen this yet, but for what it's worth, I was really impressed by the clips that I have seen.

I have a mind like a steel trap. Rusty, unsafe, and illegal in 48 states.

Forgive my idiosyncrasies, for if they did not exist, neither would I.
SnowLeopard

Postby That Dude » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:16 pm

I've wanted to see it...Does it follow the Ultimate Avengers series pretty closely?
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:27 pm

kaemmerite wrote:In the regular Marvel Universe, Thor is indeed the Norse god of legend, though there was some weird stuff going on in the early days of the comic. He had become arrogant, and Odin placed him in a mortal body of a crippled medical student named Donald Blake. Whenever Blake tapped his cane (actually Mjolnir), he turned into Thor. However, he has now been freed from Blake and is Thor full-time.

However, in the Ultimate Marvel Universe, unlike the Marvel Universe Thor, his godhood was deliberately kept in doubt, with contradictory clues that he was both who he claimed and that he was simply a powerful lunatic spread throughout his appearances.

Yes, I'm familiar with the Thor comics, both the earliest ones and the more recent. I was actually following them pretty steadily in the recent storyline that ended with Thor breaking the cycle and initiating a real Ragnarok. Did the series stop for a while after that? I wouldn't know. My comment was just about the Ultimate Avengers version.

kaemmerite wrote:Oddly, his beard was removed for the cartoon...

Heh, that's true. I wonder why along with you... it had better not be just for the "chick with the hair" line.

Joshua Christopher wrote:To be honest, I didn't like the art style a lot. The background art and animation were both really good, but the art style itself is mostly the same as every Marvel cartoon from the 80s and 90s. And no, it has nothing to do with "anime" art.

I would like to see the art style reflect more some of the really neat art in the comics, though I can imagine that'd be hard to animate.

That is true. I wish that the movie had reflected more of the style of the comics.

That Dude wrote:I've wanted to see it...Does it follow the Ultimate Avengers series pretty closely?

Though I'm not an expert on this, I would answer: yes, but it compressed some things and took out others in order to make it normal movie length. But there were lines and scenes directly out of the comics.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:39 pm

Yeah,I loved the line where Bruce asks about if anyone has any questions and they raise their hands and he says that he meant questions NOT about the Hulk.

Some nits about the movie I have:
*We never learn the reason for the aliens being on Earth in the first place and why
they were helping the Nazis in WW II.

*When did they promote Nick Fury from Colonel to General?

*Shouldn't one of the other scientists have been keeping an eye on Bruce to make sure he was keeping the tests honest?

*When did Giant Man and The Wasp marry?And anyway isn't he supposed to be
Ant Man instead?

The Black Widow was cool.I liked the way she looked when she first met with Tony Stark/Iron Man.
mitsuki lover

Postby Nate » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:06 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:*We never learn the reason for the aliens being on Earth in the first place and why
they were helping the Nazis in WW II.

Sequel. :P

*When did they promote Nick Fury from Colonel to General?

This is the Ultimate Marvel Universe. Which is why Nick Fury is BLACK. You remembered in the normal universe he's a Colonel, but you didn't remember he was white? XP Anyway, he's been a General for a while.

*Shouldn't one of the other scientists have been keeping an eye on Bruce to make sure he was keeping the tests honest?

As far as the test subjects? I guess...I thought that was Betty's job...oh well. Yeah, that's kind of a problem now that I think about it, but...*shrug*

*When did Giant Man and The Wasp marry?And anyway isn't he supposed to be
Ant Man instead?

Again, Ultimate Marvel Universe, not regular. He's been married to The Wasp for ages, and is only known as Giant Man.

Nate

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:18 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:*Shouldn't one of the other scientists have been keeping an eye on Bruce to make sure he was keeping the tests honest?

In reality, yes, there would have been people checking. But we can assume that SHIELD has staffing issues or that Banner is the only one capable of working on such a specific project. You would think that he'd be careful enough to label his own test tubes with different people's names and stick fake papers in their folders, though.

mitsuki lover wrote:*When did Giant Man and The Wasp marry?And anyway isn't he supposed to be Ant Man instead?

Did they actually call him Giant Man? Because he did some of his stuff with ants earlier on.
uc pseudonym

Postby That Dude » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:22 pm

Yeah he's called Gaint man in the comics. He was also Ant Man before that.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:49 pm

He tests his new suit out when Fury and co. come calling.And yes,I forgot to mention that Fury is BLACK in Ultimate but WHITE in regular.Then again from the little I know of Ultimate Marvel Universe a lot of things are different from the regular.For example in Ultimate X Men Rogue appears to be a devout Baptist.
mitsuki lover

Postby battletech » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:54 pm

I got the dvd when it first can out just because Iron Man was in it.
The insert in the dvd case says there will be an Iron Man movie in Oct. 2006 and
a Doctor Strange movie in Feb. 2007.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:58 pm

a iron man movie awesome
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Nate » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:44 am

RESURRECT'D! But for good reason.

So my brother taped this for me last weekend, and I finally got a chance to watch it this morning. It was still very good, though I was a bit disappointed on some things. For one, the middle of the movie felt VERY much like a War of the Worlds ripoff, even the machines looked the same. Also not much was done with the plot point of Thor going against the gods of Asgard. I kept expecting SOMETHING to happen when Thor pretty much told them to shut up after seeing the vision. Maybe that's for the third movie?

Also...
[SPOILER=ending]I can't believe they killed off Ant Man, though something inside me suspects he isn't REALLY dead. I figured this movie was the setup for Hank and Janet's divorce, but that seemed to be dissolved by the end.[/SPOILER]

Nate

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:23 pm

I wonder if they will ever do a movie based on the Marvel vs. DC mini-series that led up to the Amaglam(sp?)Universe where the characters were combined.
I think it would be interesting to say the least.
mitsuki lover

Next

Return to General Entertainment