How good is Kill Bill?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

How good is Kill Bill?

Postby The Last Bard » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:00 am

Okay, I'm just trying to figure out how bad the violence is...Because there are so many reviews everywhere just tearing it apart because of it.
Because the things I read about it make it sound like you're going to walk out and start throwing up...?
Is it really that bad?
I mean, if you didn't get queezy in The Passion then this wouldn't affect you too much, right?
I'm also hearing that it's "campy" violence anyway.
Just let me know what you thought about it.

Thanks!
The Last Bard

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:09 am

from what i've heard blood is every where. people are cut to peices with sword and just stuff like that. also some of it is done in anime scenes so there is lots of anime gore. I doubt that helped to much but i have yet to see it either
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Puritan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:42 am

Very, very, very violent. Admitted, the violence is intended to be campy, but there is a great deal of blood and gore and a really disturbing anime segment. While I know people who liked the film, there was too much violence for my taste and the story was strange and convoluted. I've never seen the Passion so I can't compare the violence levels, but I wouldn't recommend the film unless you really like seeing dozens of people bloodily killed in a single film segment.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Kale » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:47 am

They used shiploads of blood in Kill Bill... And there is a lot of language too... (To be honest, the language bothered me more than the blood... You seen one red blood cell, you've seen'em all)

I don't know... The gore is different than the Passion... It's like, "Guy looses leg here, oh look! there's a muscle!" and then about 50 gallons of blood come out of it...
Yes. I know.
Kale

Postby The Last Bard » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:15 am

Hmmm...Can you think of any movies you've seen that you could say, if you didn't have a problem with "____________" then this will be fine? Thanks for all your replys!
The Last Bard

Postby Stephen » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:46 am

While it is bloody and violent...I rather enjoyed the films. The worst violent scene they did in black and white to tone the overall violence down a bit. The movie earned its R rating, and at your age (no offense) I would maybe have your parents watch it and let them decide.
Stephen

Postby Kale » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:50 am

The Last Bard wrote:Hmmm...Can you think of any movies you've seen that you could say, if you didn't have a problem with "____________" then this will be fine? Thanks for all your replys!

I agree with Ark, but for comparisons....

Hmm... Probably "We Were Soldiers" is the closest... Just add lots of language and buckets of blood.

Wound-wise, though, it's very close to WWS.
Yes. I know.
Kale

Postby Lynx » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:01 am

i dont think it was as bad as the passion, except that there was probably more blood cuz more people were hurt, injured, killed, or otherwise maimed in kill bill. in the passion the violence was concentrated on one person for the most part, and it was intentionally bad to show what Christ did for us. in kill bill they dont get as graphic as a few scenes in the passion but there's way more people hurt. the language was definitely bad too. i did love the movie though, it's kinda got a really specific type of audience that would like and appreciate the movies, but it seems that people either hate it or love it. there's one part of the movie where they keep switching fighting styles of famous directors and that was really cool.
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Arnobius » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:17 am

Didn't like the movie myself... it just felt like it was 2 hours i wish I had back. I saw part 1 in the theaters, where this massive sword fight was done in black and white, supposedly to avoid the NC-17 rating. I hear the DVD put that fight scene in color.

Personally I thought the sexual references were more troubling, but I'm rather desensitized to movie violence. The Passion or Schindler's List was harder to watch than this
Arnobius

Postby Lynx » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:35 am

the color version is only available in japan, i believe. the dvds here are black and white in that part, from what i remember.
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby The Last Bard » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:58 am

Okay, I think I got what I needed to know.

Ark, I watch movies that my parents don't watch. It's not out of disrespect, they just don't like very violent movies.

I'll watch Residend Evil 1 & 2, Doom, Underworld, ect. And they didn't want to see those.
I just wanted to make sure none of you guys found it bad enough to get sick or anything. ;)

I'm an aspiring director/actor so I like to see how others shoot scenes and how they do their fighting.

Haha, for those of you who know anything about *QT, don't take that last statement the wrong way. I'm not trying to follow in QT's footsteps, as I think he's kind of messed up.

*QT - Quentin Tarantino

Thanks, I have more to go on now!
The Last Bard

Postby Arnobius » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:27 pm

well, even if you do want to follow QT's footsteps, I recommend you take a little detour and not be influenced by this turkey ;)
Arnobius

Postby Stephen » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:37 pm

I think you've made your point AH.
Stephen

Postby DrNic » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:41 pm

If you like Kill Bill then watch the Crow. It rocks. (And yeah, Kill Bills got lots and lots of comic violence, lots of bad language, talk of rape and the such...it's basically the Crow but less dark and with more blood...if that makes sense :S)
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby The Last Bard » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:40 am

I just heard about The Crow the other day. That is really sad what happen with the whole gun not having a blank in.

I'm going to be watching Kill Bill here in a few days after I finish "Tears of the Sun"
The only kind of violence I really didn't care for was the scene of childbirth in "Dawn of the Dead" it was just disgusting.
(When I say "Didn't care for" I'm not saying I like all the other violence. ;))

I'm still checking this thread, so if you have anything to say, go ahead.
The Last Bard

Postby Joshua Christopher » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:51 am

I enjoyed the films. People need to realize that you have to view both of them together, as they were originally meant to be. Volume 1 is action, and volume 2 is mostly plot.

There's tons of violence, gallons of blood, the finale of Volume 1, and the anime scene.

It has a lot of bad language, but nothing close to QTs other films. I don't think there's anymore than 10 f-bombs.

The sexual references might disturb, however. Though I can't recall anything that actually takes place on-screen.

If you've seen Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction, you know what to expect here. I enjoyed the films a lot, but I wouldn't recommend them to young people because of the content. The violence is especially terrible in some spots.

So, the only issue I have is if someone is trying to call Quentin Tarantino a bad director. ; )

For the record, even if you don't like him, he's good at what he does. He knows how to set up good-looking shots, scene composition, colour things... He edits his films well (for example, if you look closely, certain scenes will synch up perfectly with the music). Despite the high swearing content, the man can write good, witty, natural sounding dialogue. So even if you dislike him, don't try to detract from his merits. ; D
Joshua Christopher

Postby The Last Bard » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:57 am

Oh, I don't have anything against his directing. He is a great director! I'm just not a huge fan of his.
The Last Bard

Postby Stephen » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:19 pm

[quote="Joshua Christopher"]For the record, even if you don't like him, he's good at what he does. He knows how to set up good-looking shots, scene composition, colour things... He edits his films well (for example, if you look closely, certain scenes will synch up perfectly with the music). Despite the high swearing content, the man can write good, witty, natural sounding dialogue. So even if you dislike him, don't try to detract from his merits. ]

Word.
Stephen

Postby Arnobius » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:49 pm

Joshua Christopher wrote:I enjoyed the films. People need to realize that you have to view both of them together, as they were originally meant to be. Volume 1 is action, and volume 2 is mostly plot.

You couldn't do that though in the theater, because QT split it into two movies with a fair gap of space between releases. So if people criticize them as two seperate entities, it's because of his decision to do this.
Arnobius

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:12 pm

The violence is pretty "comical" sort of. I mean, its incredibly unrealistic.
[spoiler]the battle between her and lucy lui just made me laugh at how stupid her death scene was. She cuts the top of her head and her brain is just sitting there[/spoiler]

I still need to see the second one. Though I'm not that big of a fan of his. I tend to perfer more realistic fights. Thats why I didn't like "Hero" so much. But it had a nice plot.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Arnobius » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:32 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:The violence is pretty "comical" sort of. I mean, its incredibly unrealistic.
[spoiler]the battle between her and lucy lui just made me laugh at how stupid her death scene was. She cuts the top of her head and her brain is just sitting there[/spoiler]

I still need to see the second one. Though I'm not that big of a fan of his. I tend to perfer more realistic fights. Thats why I didn't like "Hero" so much. But it had a nice plot.

This was the first film of his I had seen and it was dissapointing. I just picked up Resevoir Dogs though and hope it is better.
Arnobius

Postby Joshua Christopher » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:47 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:You couldn't do that though in the theater, because QT split it into two movies with a fair gap of space between releases. So if people criticize them as two seperate entities, it's because of his decision to do this.

I believe Miramax had a big hand in that decision. Either way, while you can individually judge the films, that's kind of like saying the entire Star Wars franchise sucks because you've only seen Episode III.
Joshua Christopher

Postby The Last Bard » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:32 am

I watched it last night, and I actually liked it. It wasn't the blood fest I was expecting it to be. Yeah, the blood was so over the top, I didn't find it disturbing at all.
I liked it, and thanks for all your imputs!
The Last Bard

Postby The Last Bard » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:41 am

I realize you aren't suppose to post two messages without someone else in between, but since it's been a day or two, and this is something else, I didn't think it would be a problem.

I watched Kill Bill Vol. 2 last night, and I now love the Kill Bill movies! The acting, directing, story, editting, ect. is so well done it's amazing!
If you've only seen Kill Bill Vol. 1 (And didn't like it) you have no idea what you're missing. Great movie!

(Feel free to delete it or anything if I shouldn't have posted twice)
The Last Bard

Return to General Entertainment